• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Looks like the "realistic guns" argument is dead with Joker using a realistic pistol as his neutral special (which means that Kirby will also use one if he copies Joker).
bUt ThEy'Re AiRsOfT gUnS

mdwnettleton

Smash Rookie
Hmm... Someone somewhere might have mentioned this already, but does anyone recognize the stage at 1:27 on the announcement video? The one with the TV on the plywood in the background? I think that's a completely new stage, and it isn't Mementos, which means we have a clue as to the next character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Hmm... Someone somewhere might have mentioned this already, but does anyone recognize the stage at 1:27 on the announcement video? The one with the TV on the plywood in the background? I think that's a completely new stage, and it isn't Mementos, which means we have a clue as to the next character.
That's Living Room.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The stage at 1:27 in the video is the Tomodachi Life stage; I haven't seen the background myself (or at least I don't recall it), but the floor is the same.

mdwnettleton

Smash Rookie
The stage at 1:27 in the video is the Tomodachi Life stage; I haven't seen the background myself (or at least I don't recall it), but the floor is the same.
Ah, I've never seen that before, but you're right. Disappointed that it's nothing more interesting.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
New DLC character prediction.

Banjo-Kazooie
Erdrick
Jill Valentine
Joker (Confirmed)
Lloyd Irving
Piranha Plant (Confirmed)

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I really think “Jane” is Jill Valentine now. Her default costume will be the outfit from the original Resident Evil. While her alt costume (which is what “Jane” was labeled as) will be either from Resident Evil 5 or Revelations.

CF565BBD-ACE1-48BF-A818-F6944ED3AEAD.jpeg

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I really don't see the reason behind all the secrecy? They just posted a video detailing Joker's gameplay, a couple of costumes, and the 3.0 update. I really don't see why this couldn't have gone in the February Direct.
Because all of that stuff wasn't completed yet? And there's nothing wrong with keeping it under wraps until it's ready to be launched?

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
Great. Every new information one the German version from official Smash blog are on Dutch. :D

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
Why do people always get us mixed up? It's actually emberassing
Do not get me wrong, Dutch is a very beautifull language. I like it and I guess for German speaking people it is not difficult to understand in whole but it could be better on offical webpages.

Ornl

Smash Ace
the 1st Mii's fighter pack only had Sega Costumes, new and returning. So it looks like 3rd party mii costumes will be released in packs by company.
This could deconfirm all other Sega characters : Sonic characters :skull:, Arle Nadja:skull:, Aiai:skull:, Sakura Shinguji:skull:, Ryo Hazuki:skull:...
edit : Jacky Wig (Virtua Fighter) Costume is gone.

I really think “Jane” is Jill Valentine now. Her default costume will be the outfit from the original Resident Evil. While her alt costume (which is what “Jane” was labeled as) will be either from Resident Evil 5 or Revelations.
A 3rd mature gun Fighter in DLC ?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The 5chan leak (that claims that the remaining four characters are Erdrick, Steve, Doomguy, and Ryu Hayabusa) is officially dead. It claims that Jack Frost makes a cameo on Mementos when that is not the case.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I would love it if AiAi from Super Monkey Ball got into Smash but if that isn't happening... I think it'd be awesome if Sora got into Smash or even a character from Spectrobes like Rallen or Jeena.

Ornl

Smash Ace
The 5chan leak (that claims that the remaining four characters are Erdrick, Steve, Doomguy, and Ryu Hayabusa) is officially dead. It claims that Jack Frost makes a cameo on Mementos when that is not the case.
Are you sure whoever announces Jack Frost and Steve, Doomguy, and Ryu Hayabusa is the same person ? This wiki says : "It's unlikely that they were posted by the same person".

D

Deleted member

With all of Joker's alts being revealed, what was the deal around "Jane" with the ponytail being an alt? Was that just a fake datamine or possibly another DLC fighter in the works?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Welp, that was a waste of time.

I really don't see the reason behind all the secrecy? They just posted a video detailing Joker's gameplay, a couple of costumes, and the 3.0 update. I really don't see why this couldn't have gone in the February Direct.
It most likely was due to the response to the criticism of the e3 Direct devoting 2/3rds of it's discussion to a single game(Ultimate). Since the main topic of the February Direct was details on 3 Houses and other new releases in the coming year they did not want Smash news detracting from that again.
Also on a pure casual anticipation level, it's way more exciting to show news on a new update that is happening the very next day rather than two months later.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I just hope we don't get another Sword character. We have so many of them already and they all work pretty diffeerently. So I guess that's a no to pretty much every RPG protagonist as they usually are a sword-user in their games.
Banjo on the other hand should be pretty easy to realize. He has so many moves in his games that it should be a "no-brainer" to make a good and working moveset. Also that would underline the "our friend at Microsoft" statement from the Nindies direct. So I guess he'Ll be next or at least a MS character.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't know if Jane is a different character, didn't the dataminers find Jane connected to Jack?

Though it's weird that there's no female alt. for Joker so idk, maybe it's some weird dummy data.

edit: yeah Jane was specifically put with Jack, not even separated, both names being in the same file or line of code; maybe it was for Morgana or a character in Joker's Final Smash, maybe the hairs on Arsene, or maybe a scrapped female alt., idk.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just hope we don't get another Sword character. We have so many of them already and they all work pretty diffeerently.
Just gonna mention that Chrom was the only newcomer in Ultimate that has a sword. I'm not gonna debate as to whether if Joker is considered a swordfighter or not, but it wouldn't be surprising if the majority of the DLC fighters happens to be swordfighters.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
New DLC character prediction.

Banjo-Kazooie
Erdrick
Jill Valentine
Joker (Confirmed)
Lloyd Irving
Piranha Plant (Confirmed)
I'd buy that.
Because all of that stuff wasn't completed yet? And there's nothing wrong with keeping it under wraps until it's ready to be launched?
If they didn't have anything ready to show until just now, then damn did they fall behind schedule.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I'd buy that.

If they didn't have anything ready to show until just now, then damn did they fall behind schedule.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Sakurai insisted on adding more and more flourishes and little details specifically for Joker because of his love of Persona 5, each of which added more and more dev time.

So yeah, they probably are well behind schedule (on the other DLC Fighters).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We haven't seen Mementos 100% in action, so the leak is hardly busted. Keep in mind people didn't know Captain Toad was on a stage bar the short preview on the Smash website. Not everything is featured in the Youtube video. Remember when he mentioned Skull Kid was an Assist Trophy again?

I think the leak will be busted soon, but it's literally not done just yet. Let's wait until the update is out and we can confirm Jack Frost doesn't appear at all.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Picking a protagonist from Resident Evil would be a hard one to call. I guess Leon because of RE2 and the legacy of RE4, but then Chris and Jill have decent shouts too.

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
Chris is most iconic RE Character as well as the most normal character in whole RE frenchise. Leon is after RE2classic only the arrogant cool grinning blonde guy that can solve every danger situation. He appears suddenly from nowhere to eliminate the monsters to rescue someone.
Which relation have other RE protagonist to Nintendo?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They could use Chris and Jill, but give Chris a Leon alternate costume.

EDIT: But what would the stage be like? Would they go for the Residant Evil 1 mansion or some other location I'm not aware of.
Depends on the character. If it's Jill or Chris Spencer Manor definitely. If it's Leon, maybe Raccoon City PD or just a touring stage? Or the village from 4.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
If it's Jill and the wetsuit is here default costume then we could also get the ship (Queen Zenobia) from Revelations.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Which relation have other RE protagonist to Nintendo?
- Resident Evil 1 : NGC, NDS, Chris Redfield / Jill Valentine.
- Resident Evil 2 : N64, NGC, Leon Scott Kennedy / Claire Redfield.
- Resident Evil Gaiden : GBC, Leon Scott Kennedy.
- Resident Evil 3 : a remake has just been teased, Jill Valentine.
- Code Veronica : NGC, Claire Redfield.
- Resident Evil Ø : NGC, Wii, Billy Coen / Rebecca Chambers.
- Resident Evil 4 : NGC, Wii, Leon Scott Kennedy.
- Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles : Wii, Rebecca Chambers, Billy Coen, Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Carlos Oliviera, Albert Wesker, Ada Wong, Richard Aiken, Hunk.
- Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles : Wii, Leon Scott Kennedy / Claire Redfield.
- Resident Evil: Revelations : 3DS, WiiU, Switch, Jill Valentine.
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 : Switch, Claire Redfield.
- Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D : 3DS, Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Claire Redfield, Albert Wesker, L.Hawk, Hunk, Rebecca Chambers, Jack Krauser, Barry Burton.
- Project X Zone : 3DS, Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine.
- Project X Zone 2 : 3DS, Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Leon Scott Kennedy.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I wouldn’t be surprised if Sakurai insisted on adding more and more flourishes and little details specifically for Joker because of his love of Persona 5, each of which added more and more dev time.

So yeah, they probably are well behind schedule (on the other DLC Fighters).
The content release schedule so far has been every 2 months. The game launched in December, Plant (almost) came out in February & Joker came out in April. It only felt longer because the hype for Joker was significantly higher than Plant.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Something really big that went under the radar today: Nintendo announced that they will start to sell Switches in China following a partnership with China's biggest video game company Tencent. The only reason this hadn't been done earlier is because China has extremely stingy laws on video games in general. While the deal is still in motion they are hoping to start selling Switches across the entire country. The decision also resulted in a major 16% surge of Nintendo's stocks (the biggest surge since October of last year) so people are definitely hopeful of Nintendo's plans for this.

If the Switch is a success there (which I don't see why it wouldn't be since it's basically built for on-the-go gaming) I can honestly see us getting a character that would appeal to the Chinese fanbase assuming we get additional season passes. I can already see you rolling your eyes at the thought of this ("does this clown really think every character is gonna be a promotional pick?"), but it's important to remember that Nintendo stated earlier this year that they want to use Ultimate to bring in new demographics of people into the series. Even more importantly, China has the all-time the biggest gaming market in the entire world. If Nintendo plays their cards right a proper China-related Smash promotion could result in an insane amount of revenue and a new population of people hooked onto Nintendo products.

Considering that SNK is incredibly popular in China and that they have a fair amount of rising relevance in the USA/Japan/Latin America (I discuss all of these points + more in this post), I can legit see us getting an SNK rep if these pieces fall together.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Something really big that went under the radar today: Nintendo announced that they will start to sell Switches in China following a partnership with China's biggest video game company Tencent. The only reason this hadn't been done earlier is because China has extremely stingy laws on video games in general. While the deal is still in motion they are hoping to start selling Switches across the entire country. The decision also resulted in a major 16% surge of Nintendo's stocks (the biggest surge since October of last year) so people are definitely hopeful of Nintendo's plans for this.

If the Switch is a success there (which I don't see why it wouldn't be since it's basically built for on-the-go gaming) I can honestly see us getting a character that would appeal to the Chinese fanbase assuming we get additional season passes. I can already see you rolling your eyes at the thought of this ("does this clown really think every character is gonna be a promotional pick?"), but it's important to remember that Nintendo stated earlier this year that they want to use Ultimate to bring in new demographics of people into the series. Even more importantly, China has the all-time the biggest gaming market in the entire world. If Nintendo plays their cards right a proper China-related Smash promotion could result in an insane amount of revenue and a new population of people hooked onto Nintendo products.

Considering that SNK is incredibly popular in China and that they have a fair amount of rising relevance in the USA/Japan/Latin America (I discuss all of these points + more in this post), I can legit see us getting an SNK rep if these pieces fall together.
Inb4 we get a character from a random gacha China loves.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Cool and good if true. :p

(Also, maybe she was in Joker's costume slots to test out gun animations for her. This might be crazy enough to be true.)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

The only question is.

Who would it be?

The only three I can think is either Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard or Mai Shiranui. More likely the first former.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The only question is.

Who would it be?

The only three I can think is either Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard or Mai Shiranui. More likely the first former.
Terry or Kyo obviously.

Terry is synonymous with SNK and Kyo is the face of the fighting game SNK is known for.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The only question is.

Who would it be?

The only three I can think is either Terry Bogard or Mai Shiranui. More likely the former.
I think they'd prioritize Terry, Kyo, and Nakoruru in that order (Terry being the frontrunner):
  • Terry because he's basically the mascot of SNK as a whole and is a KoF regular.
  • Kyo because he's the main protagonist of one of SNK's longest running and most popular series. Also KoF XV is currently in development.
  • Nakoruru because she's one of SNK's most popular characters and can be considered a mascot along Terry. She also has SamSho 2019 to help boost her publicity a bit.
Mai would be great but unfortunately her iconic boob/butt jiggles would probably not be allowed in Smash (if Mythra and Camilla's censored spirits are anything to go by). Obviously they could just remove them or tone them down, but Mai's sex appeal is what she's most famous for so not having those features would probably make her feel butchered to many.

Then again we can now have Kirby hold a realistic gun so I guess anything is possible.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
The only question is.

Who would it be?

SNK is really doing very well at the moment.

Anyways back on topic, I'd probably put Terry Bogard, Kyo Kusanagi or Nakoruru as the main candidates to represent the SNK franchise. If there were any others, I would put Athena Asamiya as well.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Another potential SNK rep could be Marco from Metal Slug. He was in a crossover SNK fighting game and Metal Slug does have the new mobile game out. It's also been big on Nintendo consoles going as far back as the Wii with the Metal Slug Anniversary Collection. With the gun ban seemingly lifted he or Fio could easily use their RAWKET LAWNCHAIRs and more.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
If Jane's actually a separate fighter, my money's on Lara Croft.

I did mean to emphasize out "all of that stuff". Joker had to be ready Mementos had to be ready. Stage Builder had to be ready. JThe whole sharing feature had to be ready. That's not even adding in how much development resources the other DLCs are taking up in the background (We know "Brave" was being worked on as early as Ultimate's launch, after all.)

Sakurai's choice to not leave us with a trail of breadcrumbs for Ultimate speculation was well-observed last year, and there's nothing wrong with them for sticking to it. As long as it's excellent and delivered on time, then nothing good comes out of assuming the worst behind the scenes just because we had to do some waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom