• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Another question for you guys. When do you think the next DLC fighter for Smash will be revealed? The last reveal we got was on December 7th if you can believe it, so it's been a pretty long time. Do you think we'll see the next fighter at e3? Earlier or later than e3? Let me know what you think!
I'm thinking April honestly. Are they willing to have us wait that long through such a drought and given the pattern this is my prediction.

April: DLC Fighter #2 (Releases June)
June: DLC Fighter #3 (Releases August-September)
August-September: DLC Fighter #4 (Releases December)
December: DLC Fighter #5 (Releases February 2020)

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
There is the April update which will bring us to Ver. 3.0.0, apparently there is the stage builder and the Home Run Contest modes incoming. So I would expect either a small Smash direct or a general one and the possibility of being at least a newcomer being revealed is high.
I like your thinking! I could see that happening now, too. I really hope we see the next DLC fighter soon, because e3 seems so far away...

D

Deleted member

honestly I forgot that, despite even seeing a character vs. character thing while searching for the results. Though, I don't think I realized it'd be bad, either.

derp.

Funnily enough, the SSBUNews poll/ballot's winners are the same, just with Isaac and Geno swapped. Their recent ballot hasn't finished yet, however...
I wouldn't put too much faith either on those for the general ballot, but they could at least be used to indicate the current preference of the people involved in the speculation circle. While the winners are relatively the same, percentages are not, and these give a quite different view of the results.

Even so, these are not actually helpful if people are trying to indicate which characters were at the top on the ballot, for the simple reason that a lot of these polls were made after several events including the removal of several popular picks that got in the game one way or another (newcomers, veterans, smash 4 dlc characters, AT) and in many cases people will move on to their second, third, fourth, etc most wanted afterwards. Plus events like MS friendly demeanor, newer franchises debuting, more 3rd party support coming, people having Ultimate as their first smash, rumors and speculation can give a lot of variance in the results now.

Plus many polls are quite limited to the public that was aware of it, and it may not represent a good sampling of the all the people that voted on the whole ballot process.

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
So, do you guys believe that the datamined slots in WoL indicate that we will be getting three Fighter Passes? Or do you guys think they're just there for no particular reason?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Funnily enough, the SSBUNews poll/ballot's winners are the same, just with Isaac and Geno swapped. Their recent ballot hasn't finished yet, however...
Not necessarily meaning Smash here because I know there is a lot behind making characters for the roster, but... with the amount of love these characters get, it's kinda baffling that they're so often swept under the rug. I can understand the case with Geno, given he's owned by the stingiest third party known to man, but Isaac? Yowza. Most Isaac fans just want their boy to come back in some form, anyway, much like I want Geno to return, Smash only being one of many options I'd like to see this happen through.

These fan polls don't mean much in the grand scheme of things, of course, but it does remind me of just how much the community loves these characters that Nintendo (and Square, in Geno's case) don't seem to give a hoot for. It's pretty sad.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah It's probably for the best not to take every fan poll as the be all end all, or at least, just view it as whatever the community is currently may be interested in. Of course there are also other factors to take into consideration such as characters that may or may not already be "disconfirmed" in any shape or form that may skew some perception based on what people generally feel is likely or not, and adjust their wants based on that.

That said, I don't know how reliable this exit poll is, which its info was collected during the ballot period, but apparently a lot of the characters (Whether they ended up as playable or in a different role such as Assist Trophies or Mii costumes and all) made it into the game in one way or another (Besides spirits, which almost every Nintendo character ever made it in). Which is interesting I guess.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Yeah It's probably for the best not to take every fan poll as the be all end all, or at least, view it as whatever the community is currently may be interested in. Of course there are also other factors to take into consideration such as characters that may or may not already be "disconfirmed" in any shape or form that may skew some perception based on what people generally feel is likely or not, and adjust their wants based on that.

That said, I don't know how reliable this exit poll is, which its info was collected during the ballot period, but apparently a lot of the characters (Whether they ended up as playable or in a different role such as Assist Trophies or Mii costumes and all) made it into the game in one way or another (Besides spirits, which almost every Nintendo character ever made it in).
It only takes in account for mainly North America. And besides that, this is only like around 5% of the representation of the ballot overall.

D

Deleted member

So, do you guys believe that the datamined slots in WoL indicate that we will be getting three Fighter Passes? Or do you guys think they're just there for no particular reason?
I don't know a lot about that datamine, but I'm thinking that 1 out of 5 fighter packs will come with an Echo Fighter of their own. Perhaps they put those extra slots to keep that a secret, but I wouldn't hold past Nintendo if they wanted to put out a few more fighter packs/passes after February 2020.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It only takes in account for mainly North America. And besides that, this is only like around 5% of the representation of the ballot overall.
There is a tab below for other regions separately such as Japan. Although it does mix in the US and European votes.

But yeah, that's true, this is still only a small sample. I don't believe there is any poll out there that has anywhere near the amount the official ballot had. Which I believe was about 2 million or so if I recall...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Another question for you guys. When do you think the next DLC fighter for Smash will be revealed? The last reveal we got was on December 7th if you can believe it, so it's been a pretty long time. Do you think we'll see the next fighter at e3? Earlier or later than e3? Let me know what you think!
They gotta do it in April. If they don't, I'm gonna suspect they're seriously behind schedule.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I may have just realized that there is the possibility that they're not going to release all 5 characters until they've all been revealed and shown off....

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Its highly likely that we should expect to see Joker's gameplay before he comes out by the end of next month and perhaps we could get a small tease of the next character after Joker's release.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Hey, if you guys don't wanna be spoiled, then don't bother checking out the link below. If the wait for Joker is unbearable and you need some form of progress now, though, well, all I can say is...

POOTIS
Damn, someone at Best Buy messed up big time. I think we may actually be getting news on him this week.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
...You know that particular word is already a spoiler for anyone who's spent any amount of time in internet memery, right?

I'm not clicking that link, partially because I don't believe it and mostly because I'd like to continue not believing it if/when such an announcement drops at the appropriate time, for maximum shock value. Also I guess I can't verify if it's who I think it is or if it's legit, but I bet we'll know within the month, if not the week. It's unlikely we'll be left in the dark on who DLC #2 is when Joker's added in April.

EDIT: NVM, it ain't a fighter. Whew.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well if it's not a leaker it's Nintendo themselves, and if it's not Nintendo themselves it's a retailer. :p

...You know that particular word is already a spoiler for anyone who's spent any amount of time in internet memery, right?

I'm not clicking that link, partially because I don't believe it and mostly because I'd like to continue not believing it if/when such an announcement drops at the appropriate time, for maximum shock value. Also I guess I can't verify if it's who I think it is or if it's legit, but I bet we'll know within the week; it's unlikely we'll be left in the dark on who DLC #2 is when Joker's added in April.
It has nothing to do with characters past Joker.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Yeah, I just had it affirmed on Discord. A good scenario for a legit leak, relatively speaking.

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
Wow that Best Buy Joker render leak is really making me think we're getting some Smash 3.0/Joker news sooner rather than later! I hope we hear something about Challenger Pack #2 soon as well.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I'm not clicking that link, partially because I don't believe it and mostly because I'd like to continue not believing it if/when such an announcement drops at the appropriate time, for maximum shock value. Also I guess I can't verify if it's who I think it is or if it's legit, but I bet we'll know within the month, if not the week. It's unlikely we'll be left in the dark on who DLC #2 is when Joker's added in April.

EDIT: NVM, it ain't a fighter. Whew.
Though if the Heavy from Team Fortress 2 did make it into Smash, I'd be fine with it. Mostly because I'd be using the Sandvich taunt (or special, if it happens to be one) as much as possible.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, I didn't think of Team Rocket in Smash until I saw it in this thread. They'd make a great foil to the Pokemon Trainer, and star KOing them would be the funniest thing ever. Kudos to whoever supported that from the beginning; I don't see it happening, but I'd love it.

Bonus points that Koffing, Meowth, and Wobbuffet were in previous Smash games at least.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know, it would be really cool if we got a Champion as a character at some point. I don't think it will happen for a while since new Pokémon characters are usually pulled from games in their incredibly early development stages, and I don't think Cynthia or Blue would be a good idea just because of the Pokémon they wield.

I'll settle for any Pokémon that isn't a starter. Lucario was the last non-starter Pokémon added to smash, and it would start to get predictable if we got yet another next gen starter as the games new Pokémon rep.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Agreed, in fact I would like to see them go completely outside of the box and pick a Pokemon with a completely unique body type over yet another generic bipedal/humanoid Pokemon. I would like to see another Pokemon that breaks the mold like Ivysaur did make it in. This series is filled to the brim with all sorts of diverse looking creatures that it's a bit of a shame that they have been playing it so safe for the most part as far as Pokemon characters go. Especially with Pokemon like Greninja and Incineroar where they more or less just slap in a fighters archetype on like a ninja or wrestler motive.

That's just me though.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's my new prediction.

Banjo-Kazooie: E3/June Reveal (Releases August)
Erdrick: April Reveal (Releases June)
Heihachi Mishima: August Reveal (Releases December)
Joker (Confirmed)
Ryu Hayabusa: Video Game Awards/December Reveal (Releases February 2020)

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
For Pokemon rep wise I would like to see another legendary. Also a mythical Pokemon since there is no Pokemon rep that is a mythical yet.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
D

Deleted member

Here's my new prediction.

Banjo-Kazooie: E3/June Reveal (Releases August)
Erdrick: April Reveal (Releases June)
Heihachi Mishima: August Reveal (Releases December)
Joker (Confirmed)
Ryu Hayabusa: Video Game Awards/December Reveal (Releases February 2020)
A 4 month wait for Heihachi to drop after being revealed is a very long wait if you ask me, especially if said reveal was gameplay and all. If I were to guess, the 4th DLC fighter would be announced in September and released in November, with the last being revealed on November and released in January.

That being said, any list with Hayabusa will be incredible, though I'd say he would be the 4th DLC fighter revealed with the last being a character from Bandai Namco whether if it's from Tekken, Soulcalibur, Tales, etc.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A 4 month wait for Heihachi to drop after being revealed is a very long wait if you ask me, especially if said reveal was gameplay and all. If I were to guess, the 4th DLC fighter would be announced in September and released in November, with the last being revealed on November and released in January.

That being said, any list with Hayabusa will be incredible, though I'd say he would be the 4th DLC fighter revealed with the last being a character from Bandai Namco whether if it's from Tekken, Soulcalibur, Tales, etc.
Only reason I picked August for Heihachi is to commemorate his voice actor who sadly passed away on that month.For all we know it could be revealed at the end of said month. Also I figured it'd make more sense for the final DLC character to be revealed during the VGA and those have always happened in December.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's Namco too so they'll probably ask people to clamour extra hard if they want it for Switch. Bleh. :p

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For Pokemon rep wise I would like to see another legendary. Also a mythical Pokemon since there is no Pokemon rep that is a mythical yet.
They could do Zeraora so we could get an idea of how it's actually special. (I think so far all that's said is that it tears its opponents limb from limb and is fast.)

Other interesting picks:
  • Eevee (Eeveeloutions as pallate swaps.)
  • Gladion & Silvally
  • Entei (Suicune and Raikou as pallet swaps.)
  • Darkrai
  • Arceus
  • Guzma & Golosipod

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Neon always has the best avatars. They're just crazy good.

I actually think Incineroar both is and isn't safe. On one hand, being a wrestler makes its moveset incredibly obvious, and casuals should easily recognize starters, especially the fully evolved one they're pushing the most. On the other...

https://www.cpokemon.com/seccion/herramientas/tipos/stats/
https://pre00.deviantart.net/4c44/t...on_popularity_rankings_by_hewdraw-dc3vkbs.png
I have a hard time putting stock into popularity polls sometimes when I see things like Mewtwo being the 3rd most popular psychic Pokemon, and Decidueye not being a top 15 Pokemon from S&M. Idk where Incineroar truly stood, but I don't feel like those polls were all that reliable.

D

Deleted member

I have a hard time putting stock into popularity polls sometimes when I see things like Mewtwo being the 3rd most popular psychic Pokemon, and Decidueye not being a top 15 Pokemon from S&M. Idk where Incineroar truly stood, but I don't feel like those polls were all that reliable.
One of the polls is from Japan and the other one is from a site in Spanish. Granted, while they are not indicative of anything in the long run, differences in popularity of certain mons in certain regions can be explained by certain aspects that appeal more to certain countries than others.

D

Deleted member

Also a mythical Pokemon since there is no Pokemon rep that is a mythical yet.
Say no more.

Meltan as the fighter with summoning a bunch of other Meltan to form Melmetal as a Final Smash.
And for those who want something unique as a fighter in regards to body type, it's a blob that stretches and alters its shape.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Last time I was here on April 1st it was Shaq themed. It was pretty horrifying honestly. I'd say this is a major improvement. Especaially since I have yet to see a real person's face plastered onto an Ivysaur.

Say no more.

Meltan as the fighter with summoning a bunch of other Meltan to form Melmetal as a Final Smash.
And for those who want something unique as a fighter in regards to body type, it's a blob that stretches and alters its shape.
I don't particularly care for Meltan's design, but give me a unique moveset idea and I'm sold.

D

Deleted member

Say no more.

This is actually a pretty cool idea, not gonna lie.
And hey! The more Pokémon reps, the merrier for one of my friends, so we are happy in the end.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Say no more.

God I want Meltan...

On a side note, I'm starting to feel like Vergeben is misinformed. I am 80 percent sure he is not lying, since he still gets things right sometimes, but the Ender Dragon fiasco is honestly damning, since he got the Minecraft content wrong.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
God I want Meltan...

On a side note, I'm starting to feel like Vergeben is misinformed. I am 80 percent sure he is not lying, since he still gets things right sometimes, but the Ender Dragon fiasco is honestly damning, since he got the Minecraft content wrong.
Not only that, he completely botched the February direct. A Pikmin 3 port and Star Fox: Grand Prix were not announced, and he claimed that the new Zelda game would have nothing to do with Link's Awakening, which was confirmed in the direct to receive a remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom