• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
That Nakoruru guy was posting again.
http://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1553594185/
Nothing much but here is the translation.

From Post 70:
Actually, Sora was a candidate.
When they did the poll, he was popular as K. Rool and one of the top tiers.
If you don't count Snake in, the top 3 third party characters were Sora, Bomberman, and Phoenix Wright and they were more popular than Beyonetta in general.
However, he was out before serious planning starts, they never brought the idea of including him to SE nor Disney. This story was already known back in those days.
I'm sure there were reasons for that, but the most I heard was that they thought Sora's inclusion would become fetters.
"Everyone is here" was already a thing for new smash and Nintendo wanted to Smash brand to be more as third party crossovers thanks to the success of Sm4sh DLC.
They were skeptical and worried about collaborating Disney with a lot of conditions, so even Sora managed to get in, because of that, other future characters inclusion could be limited.
Sora not joining smash is a famous story. It's more strange to me that there is no single rumor about Phoenix Wright.

From Post 71(not the leaker):
>>70
Still only rumors about Velvet, Nakoruru, and RE rep?

From Post 72:
>>71
Surprised you know that.
But those are not trustworthy enough personally to be honest.
If those level of rumors count, there are Ezio, Chrono, Amaterasu and Layton rumors too.
Velvet is little noteworthy than others but still most info about her are only small circumstantial evidences.
Only Yuusha from DQ is the certain one.

From Post 73:
Oh, and, Doom Marine lol.
I found about the 2chan(5chan) leak later but this name started to pop up this year so I'm sure this is fake.
I heard Ryu Hayabusa only once from someone not really deep inside so this is not it too I think.
The ones I posted above are all coming from last year, but in reality Joker's name was never floating around so rumors are nothing.
I heard someone from the company under Sega but it was very vague and that source also told me Smash Run is returning so yeah.

The posts from the other day are here.
Full Translation done.

From Post 269:
It's not bombastic as insider information, but I can talk couple of things most people in the industly know already.
For start, Yuusha(DQ Hero) from Dragon Quest is legit, but this info was out for months so I think he's not part of the DLC.
And some part of the result of the popularity vote were going around for a while, I felt it's quite different from the internet votes.
If you have questions, I can tell informations could go out soon.

From Post 274:
>>270
>>273
It's easier to answer if we have specific topics.
I just post things vague and things I don't know.

First, I don't know the details about all the DLC.
There are no concrete informations out yet so I can say for sure any leaks stating lineup are all fake.
However, there is one thing I'm certain of from surrounding informations is that Nintendo is trying to advertise more the crossover element of Smash as its brand image.
I don't know all the DLC are from third partie or not but nothing from already represented titles at least for this season pass.
The rest are just mere rumors, no concrete evidence.
If you are okay with that, then here are things I simply heard, no backings.
Someone from Tales series, most likely Velvet. I heard Lloyd and Yuri too, but it sounded just fyr so probably Mii costumes.
And Nakoruru from SNK and Resident Evil rep from Capcom. These are less credible than Tales. But just about on the same level though.
I'm looking for the memo then for the vote result so just wait.

From Post 275:
Oh, I heard Mincecraft too, but don't know it's Steve or not.
I'm sure you know Nintendo and Microsoft are in good relation now but this was known in the industry for some time.
I think they were spreading harmless informations to make a diversion.

From Post 279:
The ballot.

First, this information was out after a while the voting started, so it's not the final result, but it appears the leads were huge from the start.
I think people noticed this but the ballot was meant to be for the next Smash game. DLC for Sm4sh were nothing to do with it.
Talks about Smash Switch was there quite early, the actual planning started just before the end of Sm4sh DLC.

Overall, Inkling, Snake Ice Climbers were the top 3.
Then the other fired characters followed, but Sora, K.Rool, Phoenix Wright, Bomberman, Chrom, Beyonetta, and Ridley came in there.
And Pokemon, FF, DQ were strong enough to get in there too if you add up all the related characters.

The top ranking was almost fixed from the start, the other votes were scattered everywhere only some like popular internet characters stood out.
The others on the note;
Fire Emblem(total), Tales(total), Bandanna Waddle Dee, Monster Hunter, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Castlevania(total), Dixie, Megaman(total?), Magolor, Layton, Sonic(total?), Dante, Touhou(total?), Master Chief, Kid Icarus(total), Ashley, Crash Bandicoot, Fate characters, Waluigi, Street Fighter(total?), Minecraft, Fiora, Shovel Knight, Dry Bowser, Yokai Watch(total), Ryu Hayabusa, Rhythm Heaven, Banjo, Okami, Krystal, Impa, Resident Evil(total), Rayman, Isaac, Chibi-Robo, Daisy, Kat, Mother Series(total), Puyopuyo, Midna, Oliver, Geno, Mai Shiranui, Takamaru, Neku Sakuraba, Wonder Red, Starfy, Metroid(total), Petey Piranha, Tekken, Skull Kid, Custom Robo, Spyro, Culdcept

I'm tired...
They aren't on the memo, but I also heard Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and Pokemon's total were incredible, and there were bunch of anime characters and Marvel/DC heroes.
Darth Vader and Harry Potter got quite a lot too apparently.
The ones with (total?), without (total), and the order are straight from the memo. I just copied it from the top so I don't know the order is the actual rank or not.

Seeing this again, the series with many titles are strong for sure.

From Post 280:
This list went around before the summer.
I don't know how it changed in the last but seeing Simon getting in now, maybe Castlevania ranked up slowly after.
It's hard to tell really like the ones with totals if you divide them by the actual number of characters. So I think the ones with unique name in the list were actually popular.

From Post 282:
Oh, SMT is missing.
It's between Fiora and Shovel Knight.
I think Persona characters were included here.

From Post 283:
And Shantae is gone too.
Between Neku Sakuraba and Wonder Red.

>>281
When I first saw this list, I remember I immediately thought only few top ones could be included but the rest are just impossible.
For Sora, I thought he's difficult but I'm surprized there is literally no sign of Phoenix Wright.
Just adding him as assist like Bomberman could've helped.

From Post 285(not the leaker):
>>283
Are you the one who wrote Chun-Li became Ken a while ago?

From Post 287:
>>285
I don't know that.
That's not me.
But you said it, Chun-Li sounds more fitting than Ken indeed.

From Post 289(not the leaker):
Is there any info about DLC season 2?

From Post 290(not the leaker):
Informations could go out soon means there's a Direct coming to announce?

From Post 291:
>>289
Never heard of it.
I mean, there is literally nothing trustworthy about DLC.
Velvet, Nakoruru, Resident Evil are just a little bit believable compared to other informations.
However, Yuusha's in-game material is already went outside of the devs so it's definitely happening.
But this info is quite old so if he is actually coming then it'll be any time soon I think.

>>290
No, more like inside stories than actual game informations.
If it's like anyone knows if they're actually in the industry, then it will go out eventually.
Generally speaking, there is timing to go out in the public after it spreads out in the industry,
I don't know anything about Direct.

From Post 293:
>>292
Infos leak out on Geha(5chan's /v/) is nothing confidential.
Text leaks like this are just outdated infos. Nothing special.
It mever will spread out into the general public, so couple of hundereds or thousands poeple who are into leaks is no problem.
Companies are not that dumb, if it's not like actual materials leaking out from development scenes, then they won't bother,

From Post 294(not the leaker):
>>291
How did you judge Velvet, Nakoruru, Resident Evil infos are little believable?

From Post 295:
>>294
It's because I got correct informations about smash from that source before.
But I don't always get concrete infos from here so the priority is low.
Nakoruru and Resident Evil are from this source and other 3 sources, and there are 8 different informations implying Tales.
The others are lower than them.
They are not believable enough.
That's all I have for Smash DLC.

From Post 297(not the leaker):
>>295
Thanks.
Could you tell us what were the correct informations your source gave?

From Post 298:
>>297
Most are Spirits infos.
As for characters, Pokemon rep, and Chrome as echo. That's it.
Anyone can guess it tbh.

From Post 299(not the leaker):
>>298
The reason you decided the Tales rep as Velvet?

From Post 301:
>>299
It's not like I decided, just simply her name is the most I hear.
I also heard that it's Tales rep but not swordfighter.

From Post 302:
I think Yuusha is the only trustworthy one.
Velvet uses sword, and there are no informations saying female Tales character.

From Post 304:
>>303
Dragon Quest hero works just like as Alf.
I guess Erdrick costume included too.

From Post 305(not the leaker):
>>304
For real?
Can you tell us more about Yuusha?
Like color variants and moves.

From Post 308(not the leaker):
>>304
So Yuusha from 3 is not the default but one of the costumes?
Who's the default?

From Post 309:
>>305
>>308
I don't know that much.
Some informations imply it's XI hero.
But it's Smash so I think the default will be III hero. I mean there're infos suggest the remake of Erdrick series.
And maybe Slime as Mii cosutume.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I feel like that leaker is fake because if there is a first party in the DLC they'll most likely be from a title that is already represented.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I feel like that leaker is fake because if there is a first party in the DLC they'll most likely be from a title that is already represented.
Also, I don't think that Velvet would get in over Lloyd/Yuri and I don't think that Nakoruru would get in over Terry Bogard.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
http://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1553594185/
Nothing much but here is the translation.

From Post 70:
Actually, Sora was a candidate.
When they did the poll, he was popular as K. Rool and one of the top tiers.
If you don't count Snake in, the top 3 third party characters were Sora, Bomberman, and Phoenix Wright and they were more popular than Beyonetta in general.
However, he was out before serious planning starts, they never brought the idea of including him to SE nor Disney. This story was already known back in those days.
I'm sure there were reasons for that, but the most I heard was that they thought Sora's inclusion would become fetters.
"Everyone is here" was already a thing for new smash and Nintendo wanted to Smash brand to be more as third party crossovers thanks to the success of Sm4sh DLC.
They were skeptical and worried about collaborating Disney with a lot of conditions, so even Sora managed to get in, because of that, other future characters inclusion could be limited.
Sora not joining smash is a famous story. It's more strange to me that there is no single rumor about Phoenix Wright.

From Post 71(not the leaker):
>>70
Still only rumors about Velvet, Nakoruru, and RE rep?

From Post 72:
>>71
Surprised you know that.
But those are not trustworthy enough personally to be honest.
If those level of rumors count, there are Ezio, Chrono, Amaterasu and Layton rumors too.
Velvet is little noteworthy than others but still most info about her are only small circumstantial evidences.
Only Yuusha from DQ is the certain one.

From Post 73:
Oh, and, Doom Marine lol.
I found about the 2chan(5chan) leak later but this name started to pop up this year so I'm sure this is fake.
I heard Ryu Hayabusa only once from someone not really deep inside so this is not it too I think.
The ones I posted above are all coming from last year, but in reality Joker's name was never floating around so rumors are nothing.
I heard someone from the company under Sega but it was very vague and that source also told me Smash Run is returning so yeah.

The posts from the other day are here.
Who are Kat and Oliver?

Also nice to know some Japanese "leakers" thought Layton was worth making a couple rumours for...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally, there's a few oddities regarding the list of results such as adding a few franchises after listing them due to the comments asking for them and Wolf or Star Fox in general missing completely (although this could be a case of him being less popular than imagined).

Regarding Tales, I personally would think that Velvet would be chosen if they were either aiming for a recent character or a female one. Nakoruru from what I've seen is seen as popular as Terry in Japan, there is a possibility for her inclusion and there could be other factors for her making it over Terry. A bit unlikely though.
Who are Kat and Oliver?

Also nice to see some Japanese "leakers" thought Layton was worth making a couple rumours for...
Kat from Gravity Rush and Oliver is maybe from Ni No Kuni from one of the other comments if I recall (could be from FE though :b)

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Kat from Gravity Rush and Oliver is maybe from Ni No Kuni from one of the other comments if I recall (could be from FE though :b)
Ah those characters, how could I have forgotten that Ni No Kuni kid when I saw a review about his game fairly recently...
Thank you for letting me know.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Personally, there's a few oddities regarding the list of results such as adding a few franchises after listing them due to the comments asking for them and Wolf or Star Fox in general missing completely (although this could be a case of him being less popular than imagined).

Regarding Tales, I personally would think that Velvet would be chosen if they were either aiming for a recent character or a female one. Nakoruru from what I've seen is seen as popular as Terry in Japan, there is a possibility for her inclusion and there could be other factors for her making it over Terry. A bit unlikely though.

But, Kat is Sony first party and as a result she has no chance of getting in.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But, Kat is Sony first party and as a result she has no chance of getting in.
More like "is unlikely to get in." All it means is that she has to be licensed. Not unlike how Microsoft characters got licensed to appear in Minecraft Switch. Or how Creeper was licensed to be a 3DS version in itself.

We don't know if Sony would say no to anything like that. For all intends and purposes, they are a 3rd party to Smash in every way. The "no chance" thing is a bit hyperbolic to begin with. It's nothing more than getting a license to go through. I won't pretend it's likely, since Sony is not that cooperative with other companies, though.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
From what I see, the leaker says the only trustworthy one is Yuusha (DQ Hero).

To be honest, I'd be disappointed if all the mentioned characters became true, save for Sora and DQ because they seem cool and Steve because I'd like Steve.

For the others, I'd just be "meh" even if their movesets were cool, as I mainly want characters just for themselves - but I wouldn't complain, I may even find some fun in the characters; I'd just be disappointed in no Banjo-Kazooie and whoever, plus no Western IPs yet again unless Steve actually is added.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
- The author claims that the ballot was to be used for Smash5. Shin Megami Tensei is well placed in the ballot.
- The author claims (as Reggie's announcement) that there will be no DLC characters from already represented series.
- Among the top of the ballot, the author claims that Sora was cleared, and that there will be a representative Dragon Quest. This is also what Vergebern, Tansut, Xenother, Polar Panda, GameXplain and, although their credibility is arguable, Leaky Pandy and Hitagi.
- I notice that Kat (Gravity Rush) is already in PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale.

It would therefore remain, in the order of the votes and the different companies :
01 - Phoenix Wright (≈ 33% RTC)
03 - Monster Hunter : (≈ 30,5% RTC) is already represented in Assist Trophee. ≠ Who never saw it coming.
14 - Amaterasu (≈ 9% RTC)
15 - Resident Evil rep (≈ 29% RTC) : what gameplay ?
__
02 - Tales rep (≈ 48% RTC) : has already been represented in Costume Mii in Sm4sh.
__
04 - Pr. Layton (≈ 35% RTC)
10 - Jibanyan (≈ 13% RTC)
__
05 - Reimu Hakurei (≈ 16 % RTC) : no game at Nintendo
__
06 - Master Chief (≈ 4% RTC) : no game at Nintendo. Controversy concerning his disconfirmation.
09 - Minecraft rep (≈ 57% RTC)
13 - Banjo (≈ 21% RTC) : abandoned license. ≠ "Who never saw it coming".
__
07 - Crash (≈ 28% RTC)
08 - Fate rep (≈ 1,5% RTC)
11 - Ryu Hayabusa (≈ 10% RTC)
12 - Rhythm Heaven rep (≈ 10% RTC) : is already represented in Spirit. ≠ "Who never saw it coming".
16 - Rayman (≈ 24% RTC) : is already represented in Spirit. Fighter in Brawlhalla.
17 - Arle Nadja (≈ 10% RTC) : another Sega rep.
18 - SNK rep (≈ 25% RTC) : Mai Shiranui is the favorite.
19 - Shantae (≈ 9% RTC) : is already represented in Spirit.
20 - Wonder-Red (≈ 7,5% RTC) : is already represented in Spirit.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
13 - Banjo (≈ 21% RTC) : abandoned license. ≠ "Who never saw it coming".
Banjo isn't really abandoned, Rare just doesn't make new games for whatever reason. They even got new merchandise last year (alongside Conker) and have a reference in Sea of Thieves. It is possible, however, that they'd be added to Smash due to Microsoft and Nintendo getting along, Phil Spencer mentioning liking for them to be in Smash before around the time of the Ballot and another time earlier last year or so (and in an interview), and maybe another game being worked on by another company just like Battletoads or if Rare just decides to make it themselves (however I fear a new B-K game by Rare might be disappointing to people again, but Gregg did make the concepts for the original games so they probably are capable...they just chose a direction that was disappointing for most B-K fans when making N&B).

And Reggie never said the characters wouldn't be from already-represented series, Geno among others may as well be unexpected too. Some people may have even called Joker even if there were few - a fake leak did.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Reggie never said the characters wouldn't be from already-represented series, Geno among others may as well be unexpected too. Some people may have even called Joker even if there were few - a fake leak did.
Reggie said the new Fighters will be "new to the series". Obviously, each new Fighter is new in Smash, to say it brings a precision about the intention (new IP).
Geno ≠ "Who never saw it coming".

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Reggie said the new Fighters will be "new to the series". Obviously, each new Fighter is new in Smash, to say it brings a precision about the intention (new IP).
Geno ≠ "Who never saw it coming".
"new to the series" doesn't mean "from a new franchise." And Reggie, as NoA's president, is gonna use wording to hype up the audience while still trying to be honest - he may as well mean "new franchises" but there's nothing confirming that he did so, he even mentioned Waluigi as a character that "isn't in Smash" in an interview when talking about people asking for him. It could've slipped his mind or he knew his wording was obvious but wasn't sure what else to say other than wording for "new and exciting," we don't know what he was thinking.

And why does it matter that Geno was previously considered? Same with Banjo-Kazooie and Rhythm Heaven. I'm not getting your point. DQ Hero may as well not equal "who never saw it coming" since it has its own holiday in Japan and surely a lot of people would expect something because of that + Square Enix seeming to be on good terms with Nintendo; this is entirely opinion-based.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
"new to the series" doesn't mean "from a new franchise." And Reggie, as NoA's president, is gonna use wording to hype up the audience while still trying to be honest - he may as well mean "new franchises" but there's nothing confirming that he did so, he even mentioned Waluigi as a character that "isn't in Smash" in an interview when talking about people asking for him. It could've slipped his mind or he knew his wording was obvious but wasn't sure what else to say other than wording for "new and exciting," we don't know what he was thinking.

And why does it matter that Geno was previously considered? Same with Banjo-Kazooie and Rhythm Heaven. I'm not getting your point. DQ Hero may as well not equal "who never saw it coming" since it has its own holiday in Japan and surely a lot of people would expect something because of that + Square Enix seeming to be on good terms with Nintendo; this is entirely opinion-based.
His argument is (I think) that if we know a character was planned, then they are a character we'll see coming. Imo that's fallacious, and really the 'you'll never see it coming' comment can't really be used in such a dogmatic way, as technically speaking the Smash fandom is so diverse and massive there will always be someone who predicted whichever character gets in.

Ornl

Smash Ace
And why does it matter that Geno was previously considered? Same with Banjo-Kazooie and Rhythm Heaven.
"Who never saw it coming, new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5 : it's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC. He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros environment. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking". - Reggie

andree123

Smash Ace
Thinking about the same thing, Nintendo is involved, so it may likely to be Sylux to me, because he was intended to promote Metroid Prime 4 even though the game was delayed.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
"Who never saw it coming, new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5 : it's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC. He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros environment. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking". - Reggie
If a character was considered but dropped, they'd still be new to the series when actually added - and being considered but dropped could give reason to not expect them depending on how you view it, especially since they were never added afterwards. Banjo-Kazooie, Chorus Kids or other RH characters, and others could very well be "unique" and "different," too.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Imagine being so self-important that you think you can just quote someone else without explaining what you infer from that quote.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The term "unexpected" is a bit loaded, yeah. That said, some aren't going to be usually expected by most. PP and Wii Fit Trainer were not generally predicted either way. Joker actually wasn't seen as likely to get in, yet wanted, but I can only say that applied to some of the fanbase on SB. Maybe it does apply to most of the fans. If so, then it's a decent idea of what we should look at. Those characters that's generally not seen as likely by many. But that's still rather subjective anyway, putting us back at square one. That said, it's very clear on Reggie's part that they're... not veterans, which some expected for DLC last time(Wolf much), so maybe it's more trying to say that a lot could happen and to not be too pessimistic about a character? It's a hard message to gauge at this point. Joker is just one character and barely tells the tale of what could happen.

Troykv

Smash Master
So Sora is actually real?

I still have my doubts; but it's fascinating to find out how popular he actually was in the Ballot if that is true.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that it is fake. If any Tales or SNK rep are getting in they are Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell and Terry Bogard respectively.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
If I was to predict the remaining 4 DLC picks, my guesses would be:

- Erdrick: Even without the endless "leakers" chattering, Dragon Quest is huge so it isn't a surprise, and neither is Square getting a second rep.
- Phoenix Wright: Legit think this guy has a huge chance, Capcom have been really generous in Smash content and his series has had plenty of Nintendo presence.
- Banjo Kazooie: Cuphead on Switch makes the likelihood of a Microsoft character pretty high in my opinion, and I think Banjo is the most likely candidate.
- Elma: I think a 1st party character is likely, and the fact there is absolutely no music from Xenoblade X makes me predict Elma alongside a Xenoblade X port for Switch.

Honourable mentions: Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Bandana Dee

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
All based on spirits and AT deconfirnations.

Wants
1) Erdrick (or any DQ Hero)
2) Mike Jones
3) Battletoads

Don’t want
1) Sora
2) More Fire Emblem
3) Sans
4) Master Chief
5) Non video games characters

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If I was to predict the remaining 4 DLC picks, my guesses would be:

- Erdrick: Even without the endless "leakers" chattering, Dragon Quest is huge so it isn't a surprise, and neither is Square getting a second rep.
- Phoenix Wright: Legit think this guy has a huge chance, Capcom have been really generous in Smash content and his series has had plenty of Nintendo presence.
- Banjo Kazooie: Cuphead on Switch makes the likelihood of a Microsoft character pretty high in my opinion, and I think Banjo is the most likely candidate.
- Elma: I think a 1st party character is likely, and the fact there is absolutely no music from Xenoblade X makes me predict Elma alongside a Xenoblade X port for Switch.

Honourable mentions: Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Bandana Dee
Oh man if those were the final four I'd be pretty darn satisfied. Wouldn't mind Erdrick but Wright, Banjo and Elma. **** yes!

D

Deleted member

"New to the series" sounds to me like "they have never appeared in Smash before whatsoever", honestly.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
"New to the series" sounds to me like "they have never appeared in Smash before whatsoever", honestly.
I was going to say this but I didn't want to feel as if I constantly say the same thing when I'm in here.

I feel like all the new characters are third parties for this reason. It's a big reason I've been supporting Doom Slayer and Hayabusa so avidly. I feel like this is their one shot. Maybe they won't blow it.

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
Wants:
Sans
Cuphead
Tails
HM: The Knight (Hollow Knight)

Don't want:
Edgy rated M characters (2B, Doomguy, Dovakiin etc)
Obscure/Irrelevant characters (Banjo, Geno, Isaac, etc)
Non video game characters
Generic JRPG protagonists
Shantae
Jonesy

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
That's the impression I got, too. Though I can still see new games from already represented franchises getting a character but that seems unlikely.

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
That's what I believe that statement meant, too. Which leads me to believe that most (if not all) the Smash Ultimate DLC fighters will be third-party, which REALLY excites me personally. I kinda feel like Nintendo's been kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as first-party characters go, so I'm down with a third-party DLC lineup.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
That's what I believe that statement meant, too. Which leads me to believe that most (if not all) the Smash Ultimate DLC fighters will be third-party, which REALLY excites me personally. I kinda feel like Nintendo's been kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as first-party characters go, so I'm down with a third-party DLC lineup.
Just give us a darn Rhythm Paradise rep and we're good for first parties lol

Ornl

Smash Ace
(5 channel user claims that the ballot was to be used for Smash5.
+ Reggie claims the DLC Fighters are unexpected.)

The term "unexpected" is a bit loaded, yeah. That said, some aren't going to be usually expected by most. PP and Wii Fit Trainer were not generally predicted either way. Joker actually wasn't seen as likely to get in, yet wanted, but I can only say that applied to some of the fanbase on SB. Maybe it does apply to most of the fans. If so, then it's a decent idea of what we should look at. Those characters that's generally not seen as likely by many. But that's still rather subjective anyway, putting us back at square one. That said, it's very clear on Reggie's part that they're... not veterans, which some expected for DLC last time(Wolf much), so maybe it's more trying to say that a lot could happen and to not be too pessimistic about a character? It's a hard message to gauge at this point. Joker is just one character and barely tells the tale of what could happen.
There are two potential examples to build on.
- Ballot : Petey Piranha. As an indication, she is in front of Tekken and Skull Kid.
> Nintendo Choice : Piranha Plant.
- Ballot : Shin Megami Tensei. As an indication, the total votes (including Jack Frost) up the license in front of Shovel Knight.
> Nintendo Choice : Joker.
Bonus :
- Ballot : Dragon Quest. As an indication, the total votes (including Slime) up the license in front of Tales.
> Nintendo Choice : Probably Erdrick.

If the logic would be to fire all the main heroes because they are expected, then the result would be radical.
This logic would remove all of Capcom's main heroes : Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Amaterasu, and Leon S. Kennedy.
but would leave some doors open : other Okami 2 rep, Resident Evil rep.
This logic would remove Lloyd Irving, Hershel Layton, Jibanyan, Oliver (Ni no Kuni), Master Chief, Crash, Banjo, Ryu Hayabusa, Rayman, Arle Nadja, Shantae, Mai Shiranui...
but would leave some doors open : other Tales rep, Yokai-Watch rep, Katrielle Layton, Raving Rabbids and SNK rep.
Would that be a hecatomb ? Yes. Is fanboyism ready to mourn ? No. But predictions about Velvet, Nakoruru, and Resident Evil rep seem conform to this new logic.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh I think you're looking a little too far into this. I think requests for series like Dragon Quest has just been very broad and, if it indeed gets a character, that they are either going for whichever protagonist is the most popular or whichever one Sakurai liked the best (Didn't Sakurai say that he liked Erdricks game or something?)

I don't think he would deliberately do the exact opposite of what the ballot votes asked, lest we'd get something like Yooka Laylee over Banjo Kazooie or Apollo Justice over Phoenix Wright and all...

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
The commonality between Pyranha Plant, Joker, Erdrick, Velvet, Nakoruru, and Resident Evil rep is that these characters are not iconic characters of the video game, but represent licenses that are iconic. They correspond to a vision according to Reggie's announcement: "Who never saw it coming".
I don't say that this logic is authoritative (I don't support Velvet, Nakoruru, or Resident Evil rep). I say it can bring a new point of view.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose so. I guess it might go more for series that have a broader selection like Dragon Quest or a breakout character like Joker.

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
The commonality between Pyranha Plant, Joker, Erdrick, Velvet, Nakoruru, and Resident Evil rep is that these characters are not iconic characters of the video game, but represent licenses that are iconic. They correspond to a vision according to Reggie's announcement: "Who never saw it coming".
I don't say that this logic is authoritative (I don't support Velvet, Nakoruru, or Resident Evil rep). I say it can bring a new point of view.
I will have to disagree, Jill at least is iconic for a generation of players and in Japan Roto is certainly iconic and often referenced even if we leave appearances of symbols and items related to him outside of the equation.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
18 - SNK rep (≈ 25% RTC) : Mai Shiranui is the favorite.
I'm pretty sure Terry is the favored SNK rep considering he's the face of Fatal Fury, is arguably the most popular SNK character (poll from 2018), and is often considered to be SNK's mascot. I don't think Mai is likely to appear in Smash unfortunately due to the heavy emphasis on her cleavage which probably wouldn't be allowed in Smash (if Camilla's censored spirit is something to go off of). Of course they could just remove that aspect though it's one of Mai's most iconic features that removing it would probably feel lame to most people.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I'd personally prefer a Metal Slug character for a SNK rep; very popular and loved series, and would stand out more than another fighting game rep after we've got Ryu and Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom