• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Isn't Big Boss's design already incorporated into Snake?
Face yes, clothes no. He'd still look more different than Dark Pit.
I feel like a lot of Ike's attacks would look awkward if Ragnell was swapped with an axe, but it wouldn't hurt to try.
Remember, Dark Samus got plenty of animation changes.
Lastly, unless a Pikachu clone becomes immensely popular I don't think they'd add another even as an echo.
There's a reason why I was hoping that if "gen 5 echo slot" was actually gonna be a thing it would go to Emolga.

Also, I forgot about Jeanne for Bayonetta. If Ken and Chrom aren't what echoes are supposed to be, she is.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Remember, Dark Samus got plenty of animation changes.
Bad example. Only her idle animation and her taunts changed.
There's a reason why I was hoping that if "gen 5 echo slot" was actually gonna be a thing it would go to Emolga.
Emolga could be kinda neat.
Also, I forgot about Jeanne for Bayonetta. If Ken and Chrom aren't what echoes are supposed to be, she is.
I'm not sure what you mean by that but Chrom does prove your first point. He doesn't use reverse grip while Roy does.

I think if Ryu and Ken's physics weren't so oddly specific Ken would be considered a clone and not an echo.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm not sure what you mean by that
She has almost the exact same moveset as Bayonetta in their own game while Ken has new final smashes and command inputs, and Chrom has his Aether moves. I was actually iffy about Ken being an echo because he always had plenty of moveset changes despite being a Ryu headswap with a Hadoken, Shoryuken, and Tatsumaki.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, a recent interview with the Cuphead devs came out, where they talk about how they'd love to get Cuphead in Smash and what not. So it's safe to say Cuphead's disconfirmed.

Horizon Charger

Smash Rookie
I have a feeling we’re gonna get Pyra or Banjo/Steve as the next DLC. Rumoured to be Sora. Hoping for Shantae XD

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So there are 16 slots for characters? So... 3 seasons of fighters?!? Obviously it's all speculation and they can be random dummies and stuff, or all of them excluding the 5+1 we know could be echoes... regardless, if there are really 16 slots, maybe the missing spirits have a chance to be revealed as fighters?
I mean, Sylux, Porky, and...
...please...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So there are 16 slots for characters? So... 3 seasons of fighters?!? Obviously it's all speculation and they can be random dummies and stuff, or all of them excluding the 5+1 we know could be echoes... regardless, if there are really 16 slots, maybe the missing spirits have a chance to be revealed as fighters?
...please...
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...io_behind_cuphead_to_bring_the_game_to_switch

And

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...pleased_to_let_him_appear_in_super_smash_bros

I guaranteed you cuphead will be one of the 16 if we get more than 1 season

D

Deleted member

So if a game comes to Switch and the developer pushes for the pick in smash it is confirmed for future DLC? Never understood this mentality, especially since the ones that decide the DLC is pretty much Sakurai and Nintendo.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
This feels like déjà vu. Just because there are many slots supposedly found, doesn't mean they're all going to be filled. Expecting two more passes at this point in time is just only going to bring disappointment if we do end up with only one Fighter Pass. Wait until this Fighter Pass is done first, then we'll see if another one is planned or not. Just because there are characters that don't have spirits, or are missing in general, it doesn't mean they have a high chance of getting in. Maybe the spirit team just had a limited amount of spirits to add, and they just picked certain characters (some are probably random) to fill scenarios. Sakurai and his team also picked characters for specific non-playable roles, if they weren't picked to be fighters. Plus they can always add spirits through free DLC to promote new games/events later, so any "missing" characters could always get spirits later down the line.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I do expect a couple of the slots if they're used, to be for Echo characters.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
It's obvious that those 16 slots don't mean that there will be 2 more fighter passes for sure; though just the fact that they left all those slots free is the evidence that they are open to add more characters even after the fighter pass. It's not guaranteed that they will, but they most likely will if the first fighter pass is a success and they see potential in selling more characters.

Yah Poochy would be pretty cool
:mad088:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So if a game comes to Switch and the developer pushes for the pick in smash it is confirmed for future DLC? Never understood this mentality, especially since the ones that decide the DLC is pretty much Sakurai and Nintendo.
I agree with you. Being on the Switch does not make a character guaranteed for Smash.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I have a small game in mind, but you're only allowed to play if:
1. You're not easily offended by opinions. Don't flame others if they list a character they don't care about. It'll make sense when you see the list.
2. You know how to hype responsibly. Assume the worst before going in on this list. Remember, this is a game, not a Christmas list for Santa Sakurai.

With those rules out of the way, the game is simple. Given the recent discovery (and confirmation) of additional data slots extending all the way up to three hypothetical total Fighter's Passes, let us pretend for the moment that they will happen (regardless of circumstances). You must choose ONE character per Fighter's Pass that you really want. They're in, but you must include two other characters in each Pass that you despise tremendously, or are so indifferent to that you'd question ever buying the Pass(es) to begin with. Those characters make up a little over 1/3rd of DLC, next to 1/5 of those choices being characters you are loyal toward having.

I'll begin~

Most-Wanted Characters per Pass:
1. KOS-MOS
2. Dante
3. Reimu

Least-Wanted Characters per Pass:
1. Heihachi
2. Jibanyan
3. Jonesy
4. Vault Boy
5. Rabbids in their entirety
6. Slime in its entirety

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Thats exactly how i feel. It's a good thing to be optimistic but some people should lower their expectations.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Thats exactly how i feel. It's a good thing to be optimistic but some people should lower their expectations.
That doesn't sound optimistic to me. 'random dev gets their game on Switch, therefore they automatically get a character in Smash for promotion' is my worst nightmare, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

D

Deleted member

If Cuphead was going to be DLC, that would've already been decided on. It wouldn't be because of the Switch port, that would just be a bonus.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
1. You're not easily offended by opinions. Don't flame others if they list a character they don't care about. It'll make sense when you see the list.
2. You know how to hype responsibly. Assume the worst before going in on this list. Remember, this is a game, not a Christmas list for Santa Sakurai.

With those rules out of the way, the game is simple. Given the recent discovery (and confirmation) of additional data slots extending all the way up to three hypothetical total Fighter's Passes, let us pretend for the moment that they will happen (regardless of circumstances). You must choose ONE character per Fighter's Pass that you really want. They're in, but you must include two other characters in each Pass that you despise tremendously, or are so indifferent to that you'd question ever buying the Pass(es) to begin with. Those characters make up a little over 1/3rd of DLC, next to 1/5 of those choices being characters you are loyal toward having.

I'll begin~

1. KOS-MOS
2. Dante
3. Reimu

1. Heihachi
2. Jibanyan
3. Jonesy
4. Vault Boy
6. Slime in its entirety

For me it is

1. Darkrai
2. Maplestory Thief Adventurer
3. Male Slayer (Dungeon Fighter)

1. Scorpion
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Mishima Kazuya
5.Adachi Tohru
6. Erdrick

SKX31

Smash Master

All righty then:

Most Wanted:

1. Scorpion
2. KOS-MOS*
3. Batman

Least wanted:

1. Any Fortnite rep (not due to my opinion on the game itself, I just think Fortnite's really ill-fitted for Smash currently. I'll change my opinion if Fortnite proves to have actual staying power - but that's an open question.)
2. One dimensional troll characters (LoL's Teemo and Dota 2's Techies are perfect examples of one-ish dimensional troll characters. Troll suggestions like Shrek semi-fit I suppose.)
3. Slippy Toad (Guess. Why.)
4. Almost anything Rabbids (M&R KB's Rabbids make for semi-obvious exceptions. Much rather have Rayman or Ezio.)
5. Any baby or metal variants as seperate characters (At least Smash is probably immune to these. And yeah, I also think they just take up space in the Mario Kart games. Before you ask, yea I was slightly negative on Pichu up to Ultimate's release.)
6. Ninten (Don't see the appeal. I don't hate the character, just very, very indifferent to him when Ness is Ninten Version 2.0).

*(I know KOS-MOS isn't on my newcomer list, posted in the Banjo thread. I should clarify that I'm pretty damn open when it comes to characters and the list was Half-want, half-expectations.)

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

Most Wanted:
1-either Solaire or Chosen Undead. (DarkSouls)
2-Alucard (or soma or shanoa) including another castlevania stage and tons of extra remixes...
3-Black Mage/ Vivi (with proper Final Fantasy content this time....)

Least wanted:
1-Mortal Kombat Rep (at least scorpion/subzero are iconic... but still meh)
2-Anything Tekken... unless is super goofy instead of super edgy (heihachi was decent in PSABR) (With teh exeption of Yoshimitsu, YOMU)
3-Regular Toad (captain toad gets some points for at least having some character, but regular toad is boring AF)
4-Master Chief (Halo) Honestly... meh, would rather have Doomguy.
5-Vault Boy. i would rather have any other bethesda character. nothing against fallout... but vault boy nah.
6-any standard shonen-type blonde hero with a sword and fire effects... you know them, I know them... they are boring, let's keep Roy.

Honorable mention:
7-Resident Evil character (a zombie summoner kinda like jill on MVC2 could be decent... but otherwise meh)

Overall i would be super happy with this fighting pass even if most of teh characters would feel meh, at least all (besides shonen guy and toad) would have gameplay simulating other games.

On the other hand i get 3 super cool additions.

EDIT: reading other comments above i remember that vault boy can be an option, and so he pushed out my more lukewarm character on the list (RE) to honorable mention.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC

I'll begin~

1. KOS-MOS
2. Dante
3. Reimu

1. Heihachi
2. Jibanyan
3. Jonesy
4. Vault Boy
6. Slime in its entirety
Let's see:

Most Wanted (no particular order):
1. 2B (The next crack pick of mine after Joker. If she gets in, I'm switching avatars)
2. Geno (The old-school Nintendo pick)
3. FromSoftware rep (If Sakurai were to remain true to FromSoft's philosophy of extremely difficult, but fair and extremely rewarding gameplay, such a character would be very interesting to see)

Least Wanted (no particular order, I don't dislike them, but I think there are better picks than these folks):
1. Goro Akechi (Uh, why? I don't hate the character, but of all Persona picks, why him?)
2. Paper Mario (Indifferent to the character)
3. Ninten (Indifferent to the character)
4. Steve (Indifferent to the character, though I have logged in many hours into Minecraft a few years back. Wouldn't excite me as much as Master Chief)
5. Scorpion (What is there to hoot about Scorpion? Mortal Kombat is all about the blood, gore, and Fatalities and I doubt all the various development teams within Nintendo and some third parties would be happy to see their characters torn to nothing but a bloody mess)
6. Jibanyan (Doesn't seem to be the hot character worth putting time in. Layton seems to be the better "Level 5" pick at this point)

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace

Most-Wanted:
1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Sans & Papyrus
3. A Valve rep

Least-Wanted;
1. Shantae
2. A battle royale rep
3. RPG swordfighters (with the exception of Dragon Quest)
4. 2B
5. Steve
6. Additional fighting game reps

D

Deleted member

Most Wanted:
1. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
2. Nightmare (Soulcalibur)
3. Cooking Mama (Cooking Mama)

Least Wanted:
1. Spartan Locke (Halo)
2. Tracer (Overwatch)
3. Steve (Minecraft)
4. Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
5. Dragonborn (The Elder Scrolls)

6. Bubsy

I didn't include any spirits in the lists on the basis that they aren't DLC bound (especially the 1s in WoL). The least wanted characters list may sound exciting for a lot of people with the exceptions of Bubsy and probably Locke, but I don't want any of them nor any other characters from their respective franchises to be frank.

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
The biggest thing for me is that if both potential fighter passes were 25$ for each, that that means it could be 50 to 75 dollars just for dlc on a 60 dollar game that you may want to buy a 20$ online service to.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
The biggest thing for me is that if both potential fighter passes were 25$ for each, that that means it could be 50 to 75 dollars just for dlc on a 60 dollar game that you may want to buy a 20$ online service to.
Assuming it goes up to 2022-23 its 5 year of support to the game, with free patches and the such. I don't mind paying 75 dollars over the course of 3 years for that.

Adamonado

Smash Cadet
Ace Attorney Trilogy coming out on Switch soon. New Ace Attorney has to be on the way.

I just want Phoenix Wright for Smash. Other than that, I don't really care about who does or does not get in.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ace Attorney Trilogy coming out on Switch soon. New Ace Attorney has to be on the way.

I just want Phoenix Wright for Smash. Other than that, I don't really care about who does or does not get in.
You and me both.

I mean I'm happy I got Joker but that'd just be the icing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
...please...
Hmm... Team Rocket don't have spirits. Maybe Meowth can finally get in Smash if it's Team Rocket Meowth from Pokémon Let's Go and not generic Meowth from the games (this one has a spirit already).

1553628559902.png

1553629114124.png

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Hmm... Team Rocket don't have spirits. Maybe Meowth can finally get in Smash if it's Team Rocket Meowth from Pokémon Let's Go and not generic Meowth from the games (this one has a spirit already).

View attachment 201377

View attachment 201383
You must have a lot of enemies for touting a fifth gen-one rep (seventh if you count Red/Green as three). Best of luck to you, mate, and if you find some opposition, just ignore it and carry on with your campaign, nobody should have their character slandered.

D

Deleted member

I already support the idea of getting Team Rocket in the roster just because I love playing as villains.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You must have a lot of enemies for touting a fifth gen-one rep (seventh if you count Red/Green as three). Best of luck to you, mate, and if you find some opposition, just ignore it and carry on with your campaign, nobody should have their character slandered.
Meowth! That’s right!

I support Meowth and Team Rocket because I like them and I don’t care if they are 1st gen Pokémon. What matters to me is that they are popular and iconic... they are also true villains, something that Pokémon series still lacks in Smash... and they could possibly be unique with Meowth teaming up with Ekans and Koffing.

Ekans and Koffing don’t have the proper body types to be stand-alone fighters but Meowth does. Meowth would be the main fighter and he would team up with Ekans and Koffing for some moves. Jessie and James would stay in the background (like the Pokémon Trainer) where they take turns summoning their Pokémon to team up with Meowth.

I used a similar argument for Duck Hunt Dog many years ago. The duck doesn’t have the proper body type to be a stand-alone fighter. The NES Zapper player (that’s us) exists in the real world so they (we) couldn’t be a playable fighter. So logically the dog would be the main fighter and he would use a duck for some moves and point the NES Zapper player where to shoot from the fourth wall.

Heres just a fun little list of my top choices and someone i don't want in.

Top 3:
1. Hornet (hollow knight)
Likelihood (none)
2. The highwayman (darkest dungeon)
Likelihood (none)
3. Professor layton (professor layton series)
Likelihood (maybe a little under half and half)

Dislike:
Steve (minecraft)
Clarification: i have nothing against minecraft, i even play it occasionally, i just don't want steve in, i dont even know why.

Please give opinions on my choices, im open to polite arguement!

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
No Team Rocket in Smash would be complete without a "Team Rockets blasting off again!" Star KO

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Top 3 I want in;

Brian (Quest 64) - I won't pretend he has a real chance even then. It's not so much being from an obscure game as that THQ abandoned it by now, and it wouldn't be worth relicensing due to this. If it got bought out and revived later, a chance is remotely possible. Won't stop me from supporting him.
Fulgore (Killer Instinct) - One of my top favorite fighting games and he's also the mascot. It didn't just define combos, but it's why we got announcer chatter as well. Arguably it's what started the idea of Counter-like moves, but I can't prove that one.
Rabbids (Rabbid franchise) - I was hard-pressed for a 3rd one, but I admit this is a big deal to me. I love these guys. I bought their latest Burger King toys, have the excellent Mario crossover game. I've seen a bit of the show. They're funny(and came before the Minions, so aren't Gaming's Minions. It's more like Minions are Movies' Rabbids), have tons of capabilities, great costume options, and have a pretty great voice, imo.

(Runner ups would be Slime and Agumon, respectively. I do want them in, but I have less hope for 'em in comparison. That said, Slime is the de facto iconic Enemy overall and full of tons of moveset potential. Agumon is from an iconic monster raising franchise, and full of moveset potential too, having over 20 ways to evolve and become fun). Steve and Master Chief are also notable additions, though Fulgore obviously beats them for me among Microsoft options. Even then, they're all good options.

...Actually saying who I don't want is kind of impossible. I'm fine with anyone being in. Though that said, some of the ones I'm less interested in are Luminary(I like Erdrick and the original DQ1 hero a bit, but I would rather have the more iconic option in the long run. They're still cool choices), Rayman(I never got into the games He's a cool character, though). Banjo & Kazooie are cool characters, but the games did nothing for me whatsoever. I just don't have a seething hatred for any character. I don't see a point in being angry over anyone getting in. It seems silly to me and accomplishes nothing.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Top 3 would be Layton, Phoenix Wright and maybe Rayman if he still has a shot.

I don't really have anyone that I would openly despise though, let alone 6. At worst I'd just be indifferent towards them. I might be a little peeved if Jibanyan made it in over the Prof, but at the same time, I would be happy that Level-5 at least finally got their foot through the door and the prof would probably not be too far behind if not a future fighters pass for this game, then probably the next Smash and its DLC...

That's just me though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom