• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They wouldn't add Amazee Daisy stupid! It's not even an actual character. I believe the hint is a bit more subtle. We shouldn't be looking for characters named after flowers or that are flowers themselves. We're looking for a character that tends to and pollinates them.
1575688152181.png

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I like KOS-MOS but come on, I really doubt Sakurai purposedly used Daisy as a hint for Fighter 5. Although I have to admit the flower stuff is interesting.
Then why are the screenshots depicting dlc fighters around mario, who is basically the face of smash, except for Daisy? The picture is odd because of Daisy’s presence.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I feel as though many times with these theories, people come up with them and they quite frankly rarely turn out to be anything.

Except for Box Theory, which is one of the only “theories” that turned out to be real.

I don’t know, interesting idea but I also think people are reading way too much into it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Can someone please explain to me the appeal for Geno?

All I know is, he was in a Mario game (only 1 I think?), and that he's a little gnome thing.

I genuinely cannot see the appeal of using a character like that, so if someone in the know can explain to me what all the hubbub is about, that'd be great, because I honestly don't get it at all.

Do people want Geno because they saw other people saying that, and they somehow managed to convince themselves that they want him too? As an outsider, this is what it's looking like to me.
He's an edgy boy sent from the heavens to assist Mario is stopping the JRPG villain. He has guns and others weapons in his moveset, he's a very 'final fantasy' esque character and as a result has always stuck out in people eyes.

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
D

Deleted member

I feel as though many times with these theories, people come up with them and they quite frankly rarely turn out to be anything.

Except for Box Theory, which is one of the only “theories” that turned out to be real.

I don’t know, interesting idea but I also think people are reading way too much into it.
Agree, but at the same time it's just fun to learn new stuff from the theories. I learned about a new flower today.

D

Deleted member

The thing with box theory that is was absolutely just an oversight, and it didn't even point to specific characters on it's own. If Daisy being in the screenshot with all the DLC characters + Mario meant anything it would have to have been deliberate, and Nintendo/Sakurai have never directly hinted at any unrevealed Smash characters.
Unless you count Sakurai talking about his eyes being red from lack of sleep in the same direct K. Rool was revealed but I chalk that one up to coincidence.
There was actually one time that comes to mind...
Man Dark Pit's reveal was so goddamn weird.
Like people were 50/50 split on whether him showing up at the end of Palu's trailer was a confirmation or not (in hindsight it was) but why did he show up with no fanfare at all? You could say it was because he was a clone/unlockable character but so was Lucina and the beginning of Robin's trailer was dedicated to her.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's hard to tell when people on this site were convinced Gordon Freeman was FP5
Frankly, I don't know anymore.
Everyone here is insane.
I'm just going with the flow.
You don't have to worry about me though. I have a completely level head on my shoulders. For I know that the picture is obviously a hint that the next fighter is known for making flowers Bloom.
1575688632363.png

Tony Scott

Smash Rookie
You know what game is entirely about a flower?

2B is also acceptable. Zero for smash. K back to lurking for 5 more years.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Can someone please explain to me the appeal for Geno?

All I know is, he was in a Mario game (only 1 I think?), and that he's a little gnome thing.

I genuinely cannot see the appeal of using a character like that, so if someone in the know can explain to me what all the hubbub is about, that'd be great, because I honestly don't get it at all.

Do people want Geno because they saw other people saying that, and they somehow managed to convince themselves that they want him too? As an outsider, this is what it's looking like to me.
This is the answer I gave a while ago:

He's from the first Mario RPG. Because it's Mario, it's one of the first RPGs certain people ever played, if not their first.

Geno is the stereotypically "cool" and "badass" party member that pops up in lots of RPGs. However, because he's from a Mario game, then for many adults older than I am, Geno was the first time they EVER saw one of those archetypes in an RPG. Everyone has that first "cool" / "badass" party member they became fixated with, whether it's Kain from Final Fantasy IV or Shadow from Final Fantasy VI, etc. A big part of why Cloud is popular is because he's a part of that archetype while also being the main character, and Final Fantasy VII's story explores how this outward attitude of his is actually a facade and how he's actually assuming someone else's identity. And for many players, because Super Mario RPG is, well, a Mario game, Geno was their first time seeing that sort of character in an RPG.

Those kinds of characters make an impression. Geno also has cool powers referencing how he's a toy with removable projectile arms he can shoot bullets out of, which would be fun in Smash (edit: as others have pointed out, this character design is uniquely "Mario" in a mix of being cartoony yet cool, which adds to his appeal). Though Geno does not get a character arc (that's Mallow, who's underrated), he does explain why saving Peach should not be the end of the journey in Super Mario RPG and helps guide the party to collect the pieces of the Star Road and save the world.

None of this makes me think that Geno is anywhere near important enough to get in before Cloud or The Hero or any of the other RPG giants, or even other Mario characters. As someone who enjoyed Super Mario RPG but grew up with and prefers Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, I would rather see Paper Mario be playable or even Fawful, and the latter is only important in two M&L games. I also dislike how back in the day some Geno supporters used his weird cameo appearance in M&L: Superstar Saga (he explains a seemingly optional mini-game you arbitrarily need to win to progress the plot) as evidence that he's important in the greater Mario canon and thus deserving of a spot in Smash, though to be fair I don't see anyone using that cameo that way these days.

However, all that, plus Sakurai's comment that he wanted to see Geno playable in an interview, plus the Smash 4 Mii Costume of Geno, are all decent points toward the possibility that Geno can happen in Smash Ultimate in the future. So that should explain everything.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Man Dark Pit's reveal was so goddamn weird.
Like people were 50/50 split on whether him showing up at the end of Palu's trailer was a confirmation or not (in hindsight it was) but why did he show up with no fanfare at all? You could say it was because he was a clone/unlockable character but so was Lucina and the beginning of Robin's trailer was dedicated to her.
Was Robin revealed later? If so Dark Pit and Lucina could have been costumes when Palutena was revealed but were decided to become their own characters sometime before Robin was revealed.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Was Robin revealed later? If so Dark Pit and Lucina could have been costumes when Palutena was revealed but were decided to become their own characters sometime before Robin was revealed.
Lucina was the fakeout reveal before we got the actual reveal that was Robin.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

People will make theories on anything, so long as it supports an outcome they want.

Remember Chair Theory? A lot of Skull Kid fans jumped on that train real quick.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can't believe Sans became a Mii costume because Sakurai wanted to add Flowey instead.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
There has been so many wacky theories for guessing newcomers. I mean there was the partner theory (this was before Terry was revealed), color theory, the S.M.A.S.H. theory, the chair theory (back during base game speculation), the Isaac-Rathalos theory, and others that I might be forgetting.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
There has been so many wacky theories for guessing newcomers. I mean there was the partner theory (this was before Terry was revealed), color theory, the S.M.A.S.H. theory, the chair theory (back during base game speculation), the Isaac-Rathalos theory, and others that I might be forgetting.
My theory is that Sabi and Vergeben can’t get pass a pissed Harada.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am going to repeat it because it got buried on the last page.

I think everyone is reading too deeply into that screenshot. However, if it was hinting at someone, I am very surprised this character has not come up yet.

Arle from the Puyo Puyo series. Puyo Puyo is the biggest puzzle franchise there is after Tetris. She is an icon in Japan, but she is obscure outside of it. One of the biggest issues I had about her possibly being Fighter 5 was that she would be a virtual unknown for the audiences of the Game Awards Show, but if there is no character being show there, then she might still have a decent shot.

Arle seems to have the same color of hair as Daisy. Its a big stretch, but if people really think Daisy in that screenshot is a hint towards someone, I think many are sleeping on Arle.

I still say the most likely character is Phoenix Wright, but Arle is a dark horse. However, I am not confident that they would conclude the pass on such an obscure character. She is only well known within Japan.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
People will make theories on anything, so long as it supports an outcome they want.

Remember Chair Theory? A lot of Skull Kid fans jumped on that train real quick.
Unknown.jpeg
I'm not even a Skull Kid supporter (Agitha is my most wanted Zelda character) and I find this funny.

D

Deleted member

I am going to repeat it because it got buried on the last page.

I think everyone is reading too deeply into that screenshot. However, if it was hinting at someone, I am very surprised this character has not come up yet.

Arle from the Puyo Puyo series. Puyo Puyo is the biggest puzzle franchise there is after Tetris. She is an icon in Japan, but she is obscure outside of it. One of the biggest issues I had about her possibly being Fighter 5 was that she would be a virtual unknown for the audiences of the Game Awards Show, but if there is no character being show there, then she might still have a decent shot.

Arle seems to have the same color of hair as Daisy. Its a big stretch, but if people really think Daisy in that screenshot is a hint towards someone, I think many are sleeping on Arle.

I still say the most likely character is Phoenix Wright, but Arle is a dark horse. However, I am not confident that they would conclude the pass on such an obscure character. She is only well known within Japan.
Yeah, the main reason Arle/Puyo Puyo is kinda obscure outside of Japan is the fact that the classic Puyo Puyo titles got localized in Japan as Kirby and Sonic reskins, which sadly didn’t give enough presence to Puyo Puyo itself in Japan as people associated those games with Kirby and Robotnik instead.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Yeah, the main reason Arle/Puyo Puyo is kinda obscure outside of Japan is the fact that the classic Puyo Puyo titles got localized in Japan as Kirby and Sonic reskins, which sadly didn’t give enough presence to Puyo Puyo itself in Japan as people associated those games with Kirby and Robotnik instead.
Wait, there's a Puyo Puyo skin for Kirby? I thought it was a Panel de Pon skin. Nintendo also has a cute puzzle game with a cute girl mascot that didn't get localized in America for whatever reason haha.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Was the Kirby reskin called Poyo Poyo?

D

Deleted member

Wait, there's a Puyo Puyo skin for Kirby? I thought it was a Panel de Pon skin. Nintendo also has a cute puzzle game with a cute girl mascot that didn't get localized in America for whatever reason haha.
Was the Kirby reskin called Poyo Poyo?
It was called Kirby’s Avalanche, and released for the SNES.

The game’s quite infamous for showing Kirby... being quite rude to the enemies.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
So FP5 might be female.

Given Daisy should be of royalty.

Any female reps that are royalty?
Morrigan Aensland is 100% pure royalty.
I would personally be upset if the Capcom deconfirmation is real, as it's the major make-or-break to Phoenix, Ammy, or Morrigan, though I wouldn't go on long bouts of ******** to Vergeben or Sabi. What's said is said, and that's reality. Who ever said life was fair?
Who deconfirmed capcom? Verge or Sabi? (verge should be taken with a grain of salt.. and sabi with a trucload of it)

Anyways... regardin edelgard or a 3 houses rep. i don't thin that those are fp5... i Don't think that the team or nintendo wanted to do a Corrin2.0 and start developing on an untested character on an untested game (fire emblems fates) that being said, teh confirmation of further DLC came after3 houses became a proven success, soi'm actually thinking a 3houses rep may be FP6 or 7

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
It was called Kirby’s Avalanche, and released for the SNES.

The game’s quite infamous for showing Kirby... being quite rude to the enemies.
Nah, that was my boi

OHHHH yeah! I've never seen Kirby Avalanche gameplay, but yeah that's definitely Puyo. And Yoshi was the one that got the Panel de Pon skin, right. I think Pokemon got some too, yeah? The Puzzle League games for the 64 and Game Boy color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom