• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Feel free to do so. I too have her doubts about her, though it's more on the situation.
All right then
Of course marth and Roy got in you need to keep in mind that sakurai wouldn’t have added Lucas if mother 3 wasent localized but what about sakura wars? Well that was localized when it’s final game before hiatus came to The Wii & ps2 In addition to project x zone and shin Sakura wars in 2020 I haven’t even seen anything that shows touhou official games coming to the west.
Also this isn’t all I’m doing it separately

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Honestly I feel if Sakura wars gets any representation in smash at all it'll most likely be through mii fighter outfits.
Sakura.Taisen.full.411467.jpg

You could easily get a gunner and 2 sword fighters out of the 3 main girls.

While any character could be revealed at the VGAs, I feel that a character with presence on it is the most likely.

Its Cranky Time
He's gonna be a Smash, making the Do re mi called cash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
the funny thing about Sakura Wars is I knew of it before PXZ

when Blockbuster was still a thing I was a Growing Weeb(TM) in middle and high school and mom rented a DVD of the anime on a whim

Wasn't one of the Wii games localized too?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
All right then
Of course marth and Roy got in you need to keep in mind that sakurai wouldn’t have added Lucas if mother 3 wasent localized but what about sakura wars? Well that was localized when it’s final game before hiatus came to The Wii & ps2 In addition to project x zone and shin Sakura wars in 2020 I haven’t even seen anything that shows touhou official games coming to the west.
Also this isn’t all I’m doing it separately
AoCF has an official English translation on Steam & is coming to the Switch.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
the funny thing about Sakura Wars is I knew of it before PXZ

when Blockbuster was still a thing I was a Growing Weeb(TM) in middle and high school and mom rented a DVD of the anime on a whim

Wasn't one of the Wii games localized too?
As far as I know there was only 1 Wii game and yes it was localized.

Oddly I remember that it got a lot of ads in gaming magazines when it came out. So that was weird.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It's an unfortunate tradition: Any time Smash ends something (in this case, the Fighters Pass), some people think that it's gonna be a life changing event.

"Because :ultolimar: Smash always ends :ultshulk: on a high note. :ultken::ultincineroar:"

...Seriously though, over a decade since Brawl and people are still doing this. Honestly amazes me.
Speak for yourself, Olimar and Shulk had me bouncing in my chair.

Plus, Brawl and Smash 4 had secret characters to back up on. Ultimate did too, if you wanna count Plant's reveal, which is a HELL of a note to end on.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
So what your saying is that you didn’t want kos-mos this whole time because you wanted her just because the fanbase would get salty over it and you make fun of leakers like sabi and verge because the'll be wrong?

This right here is considered a BRUH moment.
I don’t know about that. We’re all selfish and a lot of us are ridiculously afraid on admitting it. The massive difference is that despite the Knight bias, I can tell for certain he can’t actually get into this game (even as a spirit). With characters like Kos-Mos or Reimu, I can see Sakurai picking them for sure. The thing I find annoying is the scummy attitude from people when they think their favorite character is likely in the game and they treat characters with “less popularity” (think Kosmos or Layton) with a middle finger, saying “they don’t deserve to be in Smash, they’re nobodies!” After a deconfirmation, these guys act like we are supposed to feel sorry for them when they have been bullying the “less popular” characters for a awhile. I want some kind of upset, so they’ll stop this garbage.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Just wanted to let you know that the reason that news is slow right now is because Cortez is fighter 5 and he just missed the Smash hype train!

Don't worry! He found a pump trolley and he's trying to catch up! :ultpacman:

Pump-trolley-2.gif

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
.I see people saying that Nintendo wont end on a bang or at least a big character and i dont think they are paying attention to Nintendo these days. I dont know who they hired or what has changed at Nintendo but marketing has VASTLY improved. think about splatoon 2 marketing, fire emblem 3houses, smash ultimate, breathe of the wild, the switch itself, ARMs, and astral chain. Nintendo isnt tripping over itself anymore. People also vastly underestimate these companies, we already know that hero and banjo video demonstrations were recorded either the same day or back to back days so the characters were at similar stages. Honestly, i think they have already recorded the video demonstrating the newest character. also the trailers take a while to make.
The new and improved Nintendo that ended Smash Ultimate marketing with a character everybody knew was getting in, the obligatory Pokemon, a potted plant, and a huge round of disconfirmations?

I dunno man, I think this new Nintendo still doesn't end Smash cycles with a bang.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I seriously don't get how people make the argument that Touhou is too niche for Smash because of the West yet still think Sakura Wars doesn't suffer from the same problems that Touhou does. Like, you guys know that the only localized Sakura Wars game was a commercial failure in the West, right?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The new and improved Nintendo that ended Smash Ultimate marketing with a character everybody knew was getting in, the obligatory Pokemon, a potted plant, and a huge round of disconfirmations?

I dunno man, I think this new Nintendo still doesn't end Smash cycles with a bang.
Hey, to be fair, the only reason people knew Ken was in was because of the leaks. If he hadn't been leaked he'd have still been a really cool echo, especially to Street Fighter fans (like me). Maximillian was really hyped for Ken and for good reason.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I highly doubt that
I don't think Reimu is by any means likely, but she has unique moveset potential in spades. She's been in more fighting games than most Smash characters, counting their Smash appearances. She's definitely the kind of character who would be very interesting to implement in Smash.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I seriously don't get how people make the argument that Touhou is too niche for Smash because of the West yet still think Sakura Wars doesn't suffer from the same problems that Touhou does. Like, you guys know that the only localized Sakura Wars game was a commercial failure in the West, right?
Facts don't matter when you are trying to push a narrative.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey, to be fair, the only reason people knew Ken was in was because of the leaks. If he hadn't been leaked he'd have still been a really cool echo, especially to Street Fighter fans (like me). Maximillian was really hyped for Ken and for good reason.
Hey, Ken was hype as **** for me too, but even if he hadn't leaked, everyone was calling him as soon as Echoes were a thing.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Even assuming that Touhou and Sakura Wars are in the exact same boat, and giving it the worst case scenario of "nobody in the West has heard of either franchise", Touhou is STILL more likely to get into Smash than Sakura Wars if you purely use the popularity argument, as Touhou is INSANELY popular in Japan.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
With all the talk about Phoenix, Sakura, Reimu, Sol, Sora, Byleth, Dragonborn, Arle, etc., what characters do you feel that many people are REALLY sleeping on that still has a shot of being FP #5?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
With all the talk about Phoenix, Sakura, Reimu, Sol, Sora, Byleth, Dragonborn, Arle, etc., what characters do you feel that many people are REALLY sleeping on that still has a shot of being FP #5?
A first party.

im telling yall just WATCH as Vergeben says, "FP5 is first party"

BlackInk

Smash Lord
They are also forgetting it’s more about Japan than the west.

I don’t consider smaller characters such as shovel knight or Reimu as bangs. Sakurai is interested in picking the oddest and most unique characters instead of “super hyped bangs!” He picked the plant because odd move set and uniqueness.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Travis Touchdown. The only reason supporters of him have backed down is because we took Suda51's words in an interview about what he'd want a Travis Amiibo to look like as gospel. It could all just be goofs. It's all very unlikely but...I can dream.

Also a rep from a company already in the pass. 2B for Square, for example, or Steve from Mojang/Master Chief from Microsoft, Kazuma Kiryu from Sega.

Any Nintendo character that isn't Officer Howard or a Three Houses character, for example Elma.

And of course the wildcard picks we just don't see coming. It could be James Bond for all we know.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I suppose us in the Falcom support group have an interesting new development, Trails of Cold Steel 3 is being ported to the Switch. Likely means nothing but this is the first time Trails/Kiseki has ever been on a Nintendo console (even if it's not a particularly great starting point for anyone in the series because lots of earlier games plotpoints start converging hard). So I guess that little hurdle is out of the Trails protagonists way, even if it was already out of Adol's way.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don’t think I was being referred to but just in case I just want to acknowledge that they do suffer from similar issues at the same time though all I personally was saying one is from a major publisher who’s worked on the game before while the other is a small indie developer who has yet to be involved with the game so it’s semantics really, at least in that regard but other regards are a different story.
Even assuming that Touhou and Sakura Wars are in the exact same boat, and giving it the worst case scenario of "nobody in the West has heard of either franchise", Touhou is STILL more likely to get into Smash than Sakura Wars if you purely use the popularity argument, as Touhou is INSANELY popular in Japan.
I don’t think this really adds up to a fair comparison when both are pretty popular in Japan in their own respective ways lol.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
A first party.

After Banjo and Terry, I really can’t imagine this whole thing ending on a first party. To me at least, there really isn’t a first party left that even feels justified in having a spirit board and dedicated stage. You could argue Astral Chain, but this pass really doesn’t seem keen on representing new properties and instead seems focused more on legacy.

D

Deleted member

Every character disconfirmed by VeggieTales and/or Sawbee.

:4pacman:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
A first party.

Who would it be though? A character from a more recent franchise? A first party who is missing a spirit in smash? Or maybe a curveball character again? For the former, I can’t imagine any of those getting in, unless the game documents were made roughly around December 2015, during the time Sakurai was planning out the roster. That, or maybe they claimed a reservation for a slot like Pokémon did with Incineroar.

For the latter, I’m not sure who could come from that... perhaps Sylux, Porky, and Adeleine? And for the curveball, I guess it could be a character who had a spirit in the game already, or is even an assist trophy for extra shock factor. Any ideas?

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Who would it be though? A character from a more recent franchise? A first party who is missing a spirit in smash? Or maybe a curveball character again? For the former, I can’t imagine any of those getting in, unless the game documents were made roughly around December 2015, during the time Sakurai was planning out the roster. That, or maybe they claimed a reservation for a slot like Pokémon did with Incineroar.

For the latter, I’m not sure who could come from that... perhaps Sylux, Porky, and Adeleine? And for the curveball, I guess it could be a character who had a spirit in the game already, or is even an assist trophy for extra shock factor. Any ideas?
I think at this point if we get a 1st party it'll likely be Byleth or a 8th Gen Pokemon, but that's mostly my gut speaking.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I think at this point if we get a 1st party it'll likely be Byleth or a 8th Gen Pokemon, but that's mostly my gut speaking.
Splatoon's very possible as well. That series is hugely underrepresented right now and has a ton of possible reps to draw on.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking that Frank West could be a great Capcom rep
1575409482613.png

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Splatoon's very possible as well. That series is hugely underrepresented right now and has a ton of possible reps to draw on.
I wouldn't say a ton. Callie and Marie are already Assist Trophies. Pearl and Marina could work, but they might just fall into Echo territory. Same for the Octolings.

And then outside of that, nobdy really does anything besides stand around and run shops.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Splatroon will probably have a Octoling alt that’s lighter than Inkling, but more offensive, rewarding, and less defensive. A character a that’s more high-risk and high-reward. A character who’s more fun.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Every character disconfirmed by VeggieTales and/or Sawbee.

:4pacman:
If you like to waltz with potatoes.

You're disconfirmed.

A first party.

I thought people were saying that Nintendo as a company was disconfirmed at this point. Is that not the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom