• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wouldn't say a ton. Callie and Marie are already Assist Trophies. Pearl and Marina could work, but they might just fall into Echo territory. Same for the Octolings.

And then outside of that, nobdy really does anything besides stand around and run shops.
C.Q. Cumber though

You couldn't predict the fifth Pass Fighter - test failed.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Off The Hook as a duo fighter would be great, not gonna lie.

also this is not a joke just a realization but oh my god what if fighter 5 is actually hatsune miku

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I thought people were saying that Nintendo as a company was disconfirmed at this point. Is that not the case?
Nah. Not officially, but to many, might as well be, considering all the other characters that showed up so far belong to a different company. :p

Rikarte

Smash Ace
With all the talk about Phoenix, Sakura, Reimu, Sol, Sora, Byleth, Dragonborn, Arle, etc., what characters do you feel that many people are REALLY sleeping on that still has a shot of being FP #5?
Honestly? Monster Hunter. I think people were way too quick when discarded the idea of him/her becoming playable. Correct me if I'm wrong but so far the only things the series has are: The Rathalos boss/AT/Spirit and two OSTs - outside of the music, none of this would interfere with the potential fighter pack content. And with Resident Evil being dead, MH is Capcom's biggest IP that does not have a fighter right now.

D

Deleted member

Off The Hook as a duo fighter would be great, not gonna lie.

also this is not a joke just a realization but oh my god what if fighter 5 is actually hatsune miku
If our first Domino's rep isn't the Noid, I'm calling shenanigans.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I wouldn't say a ton. Callie and Marie are already Assist Trophies. Pearl and Marina could work, but they might just fall into Echo territory. Same for the Octolings.

And then outside of that, nobdy really does anything besides stand around and run shops.
Pearl, Marina, Octoling, and DJ Octavio are all strong candidates. There's no reason for any Splatoon rep to be an echo in a world where we have four completely unique FE sword movesets. Splatoon 2 is one of the Switch's best-selling games, and the series is really slept on by a lot of people here, or just dismissed as only likely to get an echo, which really surprises me. Splatoon is by far Nintendo's biggest success as an IP since Wii Fit.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
With all the talk about Phoenix, Sakura, Reimu, Sol, Sora, Byleth, Dragonborn, Arle, etc., what characters do you feel that many people are REALLY sleeping on that still has a shot of being FP #5?
Artoria from the Fate franchise. If you ask "Who?" then you are part of the problem that plagues the Smash bubble :v Under technicality, her franchise became a boon in the last half-decade thanks to her mobile adaptation. She's also quite popular on her own.

I also feel like Arcsys characters in general are slept on, but people gravitate toward Sol because he's the "Terry" of the company. Ragna and Blazblue as a whole have a whole lot to offer as well. Then there's French Bread, which helped to adapt Tsukihime into a fighter and created Under Night In-Birth, a game that Mori of Blazblue fame thought to include in his current crossover fighter when people had no clue what UNIB even was.

EDIT: Also, to be fair, it should be worth nothing that some of those examples you listed are De Facto underdogs on their own right, and only moved up because there are people who slowly realized that their chances were actually much higher than previously thought.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Why does everyone assume that the Fighter's Pass has to "end with a bang" or that the character "has to appeal to the VGA audience"? When has that ever been the case?

These characters were planned months in advance, and I don't think Sakurai particularly cares about things like a character being popular for the VGA crowd. I'm pretty sure that at least half of the members in the audience had no idea who Joker was and he still got plenty of good buzz. It's a Smash reveal. It's going to generate hype regardless of who the character ends up being.

Smash fan rules are made to be broken.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Ngl the atmosphere of this thread has admittedly seemed very toxic and hostile all around and I think I’m getting flashbacks to the Grinch leak and how people were then.

I honestly think I’m gonna take a break for a couple days till things simmer down, I think the silence and amount of disconfirmations is bringing out the worst of the thread.

KillerCage

Smash Master
So, with all this Ace Attorney discussion that's been happening lately, I've been thinking, should I give the series a go? I know next to nothing about it beyond Objection! memes.

Does anyone mind giving me a rundown on the series and what it has to offer?

Edit: When I say "what it has to offer" I don't mean that in the context of smash but as its own series.
This is the series that has you defend an orca in count. Yes, that is a thing.
YES.

LIES.
I want Doom Slayer in Smash. (but I want Master Chief more)
You want a character people are sleeping on?

There's also Ragna of Blazblue fame, but everyone else is focused on Sol Badguy.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Finally, ****ing Marth and Roy. Putting them in Smash put their series on the map outside of Japan. I want to experience that magic again.
This is one of the major reasons I'm so interested in seeing THE iDOLM@STER get repped. Similar games would be pretty fun to see as well, but look at how large iM@S has grown since 2005, then look at how many games got Western releases (Spoilers: It was just Shiny Festa, and only on iOS). :-/

I can't promise not to sob like a nostalgic little b**** if Simple and Clean got into Super Smash.
Re-arrange it with overly-complex transitions and heavy distortion so it will be Complicated and Dirty.

How can we hope to talk about SEGA characters when their own company forgets that half of them even exist?
Half, sure, but they are doing better these days. We're getting a new Sakura Wars game, remakes of Panzer Dragoon, and PSO2 is coming West (for what that's worth).
They're improving.
(Hell, even Segata is getting some attention again)

For his side special, he runs forward and if he grabs you during this, he smothers you with a pillow
I've always jokingly had that as his Final Smash.
I guess he could also:
throw your body into his car and drive it into a lake.

Honestly I feel if Sakura wars gets any representation in smash at all it'll most likely be through mii fighter outfits.
Why would you joke about something this cruel?
None of them could viably get the Sans treatment, so you'd sentence these nice girls to a life of being unholy abominations? :-(

Wasn't one of the Wii games localized too?
Sakura Wars V: So Long My Love.
Oddly-enough, it got a Wii release only in the West. PS2-only in Japan.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Pearl, Marina, Octoling, and DJ Octavio are all strong candidates. There's no reason for any Splatoon rep to be an echo in a world where we have four completely unique FE sword movesets. Splatoon 2 is one of the Switch's best-selling games, and the series is really slept on by a lot of people here, or just dismissed as only likely to get an echo, which really surprises me. Splatoon is by far Nintendo's biggest success as an IP since Wii Fit.
DJ Octavio? I'd be down for that. I'd love to play as an octopus riding a giant boombox flying machine.

I feel like the Octolings should be either a Ken style echo or an Isabelle style semi-clone of the Inklings that are more stage control based. As in, they do more with inking the ground and stuff instead of inking the other fighters.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I think people are sleeping on the possibility of a Sony rep. Kratos comes to mind, but I think Lara Croft might be more likely for Smash.

Indie characters in general are ones that people are sleeping on and otherwise not given much of a chance.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Maybe I missed something but I don't think this thread is that toxic, at least not recently. I mean... In comparison with other places, I find this thread very nice most of the time.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
DJ Octavio? I'd be down for that. I'd love to play as an octopus riding a giant boombox flying machine.

I feel like the Octolings should be either a Ken style echo or an Isabelle style semi-clone of the Inklings that are more stage control based. As in, they do more with inking the ground and stuff instead of inking the other fighters.
Maybe they could use different weapons from the Inklings? And Splashdown as their Final Smash?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
John Marston/Arthur Morgan and an Grand Theft Auto rep.

No one would see it coming.

And of course we can't forget an Sony rep like Kratos or Master Chief.

Though not also slept on Steve has a good shot being FP5.

D

Deleted member

You want a character people are sleeping on?
Snip
I must admit Chief'd be a hell of a bang to end the pass off on.
Like "Shotgun blast going off right next to your ear and you're not wearing earplugs" kind of bang.
Why does everyone assume that the Fighter's Pass has to "end with a bang" or that the character "has to appeal to the VGA audience"? When has that ever been the case?

These characters were planned months in advance, and I don't think Sakurai particularly cares about things like a character being popular for the VGA crowd. I'm pretty sure that at least half of the members in the audience had no idea who Joker was and he still got plenty of good buzz. It's a Smash reveal. It's going to generate hype regardless of who the character ends up being.

Smash fan rules are made to be broken.
Not disagreeing but "Smash reveals have never ended off on a high note" almost feels like more of a fan rule than "the last character has gotta be a big pick"

Last edited by a moderator:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Artoria from the Fate franchise. If you ask "Who?" then you are part of the problem that plagues the Smash bubble :v Under technicality, her franchise became a boon in the last half-decade thanks to her mobile adaptation. She's also quite popular on her own.
Smash fans absolutely loathed the idea of Katalina from Granblue when that one rumor was making the rounds as she was basically repping a gacha game. Recognizability is the least of Saber's (many) problems.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Honestly? Monster Hunter. I think people were way too quick when discarded the idea of him/her becoming playable. Correct me if I'm wrong but so far the only things the series has are: The Rathalos boss/AT/Spirit and two OSTs - outside of the music, none of this would interfere with the potential fighter pack content. And with Resident Evil being dead, MH is Capcom's biggest IP that does not have a fighter right now.
However, it's widely thought/known that the director of the Monster Hunter series wants the Monsters front and center, and dislikes the Hunter being used. The Hunter was added to MvCI without permission from the director, for example. Knowing Sakurai, he'd be one to respect the wishes of MH's Director.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Frank West in Smash would really funny, considering that he uses improvised weapons.

As for what I think could be a sleeper, I think Firebrand has a chance.
The fact that this thread has mentioned Firebrand at least twice within the last 24 hours makes me really happy. Reminder to play Demon's Crest if you haven't already - it's literally free if you bought Nintendo Online!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Except Rathalos represents the series enough and is the face. If Monster Hunter were to be in he/she would had been announced alongside Rathalos in Base game.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Smash fans absolutely loathed the idea of Katalina from Granblue when that one rumor was making the rounds as she was basically repping a gacha game. Recognizability is the least of Saber's (many) problems.
Katalina was hype for me. That upcoming Granblue fighting game looks awesome and the ARPG is also promising. The Katalina rumor was one of my favorites; I know very little about the series, but it's coming to consoles soon, and Smash would've helped with the transition. Mobile games are an important part of the industry now, and I expect a character that originated from one to be in Smash one day.

It could be James Bond for all we know.
I already brought it up once or twice (sorry I didn't let ya introduce this, BTW) but let's not forget that there's also the possibility for a dope alternative.

Take it away Night Gale Night Gale ; it's your turn to do the thing, fam.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
However, it's widely thought/known that the director of the Monster Hunter series wants the Monsters front and center, and dislikes the Hunter being used. The Hunter was added to MvCI without permission from the director, for example. Knowing Sakurai, he'd be one to respect the wishes of MH's Director.
I did remember hearing something about the developers not wanting any of their characters in MvC3. I just thought they'd worked something out.

You'd end up finding that tidbit out anyway on the purchase screen so what's the point in hiding it? It's like OH **** YOU GUYS THEY'RE PUTTING IRON MAN IN SPIDERMAN HOMECOMING
No spoilers please. I haven't seen Civil War yet.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
It's your turn to do the thing, fam.
No, betch.

Fine.

There's a video game character only rule but even if they defy it, the licensing issues would be a total pain in the ass. 007 has books AND movies. However, there's a way to circumvent that and any potential copyright lawsuit by way of parody. Remember the proximity mine from Melee?

It is obviously referring to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark but they allude to them as TOP SECRET. So, what if we got a spy character with James Bond's gadgets and sh*t but it wasn't James Bond? What if we got the second best thing they can legally get away with? What if we got an original character called TOP SECRET that's f***ing Masahiro Sakurai in a tuxedo cosplaying as James Bond? The face of James Bond changes every so often but Sakurai is eternal. They can even make his code name 008 in the game files.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's also one of the best cases in the series, let's be real.
Oh absolutely but that's besides the point
I did remember hearing something about the developers not wanting any of their characters in MvC3. I just thought they'd worked something out.

No spoilers please. I haven't seen Civil War yet.
Don't see how that matters but my point is that there's more Iron Man on some promotional material than, you know, Spiderman
Oooooh this explains sooooo much about Gravity Rush fans

Flyboy

Smash Hero
No, betch.

Fine.

There's a video game character only rule but even if they defy it, the licensing issues would be a total pain in the ass. 007 has books AND movies. However, there's a way to circumvent that and any potential copyright lawsuit by way of parody. Remember the proximity mine from Melee?

It is obviously referring to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark but they allude to them as TOP SECRET. So, what if we got a spy character with James Bond's gadgets and sh*t but it wasn't James Bond? What if we got the second best thing they can legally get away with? What if we got an original character called TOP SECRET that's f***ing Masahiro Sakurai in a tuxedo cosplaying as James Bond? The face of James Bond changes every so often but Sakurai is eternal. They can even make his code name 008 in the game files.
Ever since you two brought this to this thread I've been telling all my friends about it whenever Smash comes up because I need it

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Can you provide a source for your MvCI claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom