• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
However, it's widely thought/known that the director of the Monster Hunter series wants the Monsters front and center, and dislikes the Hunter being used. The Hunter was added to MvCI without permission from the director, for example. Knowing Sakurai, he'd be one to respect the wishes of MH's Director.
I think with Rathalos in Smash already, I don't think the director would have a problem with the Hunter being playable in Smash. Not to mention the Rathalos and Hunter Armors were Mii Costumes.

Plus I don't think any of the other Monsters would miss representation in Smash, especially if they pull another King of Fighters with the number of cameos on the stage. Imagine seeing the different monsters in the background while fighting in the foreground. Heck, imagine the monsters in the background doing Turf Wars while the fighters are fighting in the foreground.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think with Rathalos in Smash already, I don't think the director would have a problem with the Hunter being playable in Smash. Not to mention the Rathalos and Hunter Armors were Mii Costumes.

Plus I don't think any of the other Monsters would miss representation in Smash, especially if they pull another King of Fighters with the number of cameos on the stage. Imagine seeing the different monsters in the background while fighting in the foreground. Heck, imagine the monsters in the background doing Turf Wars while the fighters are fighting in the foreground.
Dude, the thought of a monster Hunter stage where all the monsters are background cameos and/or stage hazards sounds incredible.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Can you provide a source for your MvCI claim?
Not him, but the only statement suggesting such thing was a comment by Reuben Langdon where he said that Dante's design didn't get the thumbs-up from Itsuno himself. That's the closest thing pointing out to Capcom including the Hunter without permission.

That said, maybe DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon can provide an actual source for this, because I've been looking for actual proof for that to no avail.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not him, but the only statement suggesting such thing was a comment by Reuben Langdon where he said that Dante's design didn't get the thumbs-up from Itsuno himself. That's the closest thing pointing out to Capcom including the Hunter without permission.

That said, maybe DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon can provide an actual source for this, because I've been looking for actual proof for that to no avail.
Itsuno:
"Damn, DmC Dante looks better than this."

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Ever since you two brought this to this thread I've been telling all my friends about it whenever Smash comes up because I need it
Ikr?! Kid Icarus Uprising is just a beta test shooter for TOP SECRET. Everything is leading up to that moment.

If Masahiro Sakurai cannot get James Bond in his game, he will become him.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So, how about a fake leak, eh?

I'm honestly speechless at this. The fact that someone would go out of their way to finally, finally make a fake leak of the character I've wanted since I was a child in 1999, and to do a solid enough job at making a whole new render, is insane. I literally thought I was her only supporter and it's to the point that I only really support her as a bonus since I know she's the biggest pipe dream of them all. She was my ballot choice, too, because I figured I might as well shoot my shot.

I genuinely teared up seeing this. godspeed, fake leaker and mysterious other person who wants Marina Liteyears in Smash. If you don't make this an actual mod down the line I'll be upset.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
With all the talk about Phoenix, Sakura, Reimu, Sol, Sora, Byleth, Dragonborn, Arle, etc., what characters do you feel that many people are REALLY sleeping on that still has a shot of being FP #5?
Amaterasu, I know Phoenix is the more popular pick I admit it, but Ammy is still a very likely Capcom rep who's unique enough to catch Sakurai's eye. She shouldn't be slept on.

Also Elma would be a great choice as well too. I wouldn't be too surprised if Sakurai threw us a curve ball and give us a first party character, and if that's the case I'd want it to be Elma.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I'm honestly speechless at this. The fact that someone would go out of their way to finally, finally make a fake leak of the character I've wanted since I was a child in 1999, and to do a solid enough job at making a whole new render, is insane. I literally thought I was her only supporter and it's to the point that I only really support her as a bonus since I know she's the biggest pipe dream of them all. She was my ballot choice, too, because I figured I might as well shoot my shot.

I genuinely teared up seeing this. godspeed, fake leaker and mysterious other person who wants Marina Liteyears in Smash. If you don't make this an actual mod down the line I'll be upset.
Wait hold the **** up.
Does Toon Link have that alt in the game? I never ****ing noticed it

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well if there's nothing in the next 4 or so hours then it'll be the VGAs or a wait until January.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Should have shake-shaken the camera a bit more to make it blurrier and thus more believable.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Should have shake-shaken the camera a bit more to make it blurrier and thus more believable.
Don't forget the gratuitous Ken taunt as a completely unnecessary reference to the Ken leak.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You'd end up finding that tidbit out anyway on the purchase screen so what's the point in hiding it? It's like OH **** YOU GUYS THEY'RE PUTTING IRON MAN IN SPIDERMAN HOMECOMING
Heh, that's a good point.

This is the moment when we strike while the iron is hot and make Marina into a highly requested character. Nay, not just that, we turn Marina into the next Banjo!

(I wish this was more credible because man would I like the Smash fandom to consider Marina)

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman

If Dante gets in Smash, I really hope his design isn't botched like his MvCI appearance. For those who don't know, take a look at this:
tumblr_inline_ort5i8BFjb1r2vvqk_540.jpg

If the unapproved design rumor is true, then hooooo boy that would mean that MvC Infinite is an even bigger mess that it already was.
Wait hold the **** up.
Does Toon Link have that alt in the game? I never ****ing noticed it
It's definitely a mod. Watch certain Youtube channels take the fake leak VERY seriously.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
With all the talk about Phoenix, Sakura, Reimu, Sol, Sora, Byleth, Dragonborn, Arle, etc., what characters do you feel that many people are REALLY sleeping on that still has a shot of being FP #5?
I joke a bit but part of me belives that Cooking Mama has a real chance given how she was basically a Nintendo character for the DS's life and she'd be a totally different genre and target demographic from the other characters on the list thus far.

And if she was at TGA, it would blow Wii Fit Trainers reveal out of the water.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is the one time I'm hoping every single Smash clickbait Youtuber runs with a clearly fake leak. I've been waiting literally twenty years for this moment. It's time to make Marina Liteyears the last "missing N64 icon"!

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I haven't heard anything about Monster Hunter being included in MVCI without permission.

I know Monster Hunter was planned to be in MVC3, and the Monster Hunter devs specifically vetoed it... but that was back in 2011. It's likely the Monster Hunter devs have since changed their mind, and allowed the Hunter to be playable in Infinite, which also means a playable Hunter in Smash, at the very least, doesn't seem impossible.

Honestly? Monster Hunter. I think people were way too quick when discarded the idea of him/her becoming playable. Correct me if I'm wrong but so far the only things the series has are: The Rathalos boss/AT/Spirit and two OSTs - outside of the music, none of this would interfere with the potential fighter pack content. And with Resident Evil being dead, MH is Capcom's biggest IP that does not have a fighter right now.
I second this... so very much.

I could understand if Monster Hunter only got a group of spirits (Rathalos, Rajang, Deviljho, Nergigante, a few other monsters, the Hunter and Felyne), and more than two music tracks... but it doesn't even have that much. It's little enough content to make it seem like they're intentionally leaving stuff out because they're planning on a playable Monster Hunter character for DLC, and if they're not... why not more spirits and music?!

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I haven't heard anything about Monster Hunter being included in MVCI without permission.

I know Monster Hunter was planned to be in MVC3, and the Monster Hunter devs specifically vetoed it... but that was back in 2011. It's likely the Monster Hunter devs have since changed their mind, and allowed the Hunter to be playable in Infinite, which also means a playable Hunter in Smash, at the very least, doesn't seem impossible.

I second this... so very much.

I could understand if Monster Hunter only got a group of spirits (Rathalos, Rajang, Deviljho, Nergigante, a few other monsters, the Hunter and Felyne), and more than two music tracks... but it doesn't even have that much. It's little enough content to make it seem like they're intentionally leaving stuff out because they're planning on a playable Monster Hunter character for DLC, and if they're not... why not more spirits and music?!
Honestly, if a Monster Hunter rep was ever planned, they would’ve been one of the earlier fighters. If they had Rathalos in a presentable state during the August K. Rool direct, they clearly had the Monster Hunter license for a long time, meaning that theoretically, a Hunter rep would’ve had the most potential time to be worked on.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Katalina was hype for me. That upcoming Granblue fighting game looks awesome and the ARPG is also promising. The Katalina rumor was one of my favorites; I know very little about the series
I can tell, because you just said Katalina was hype for you lmao

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Dante gets in Smash, I really hope his design isn't botched like his MvCI appearance. For those who don't know, take a look at this:

If the unapproved design rumor is true, then hooooo boy that would mean that MvC Infinite is an even bigger mess that it already was.
This is just a horrible artstyle. From what I've heard most of these characters are using the same models they did in MvC3/UMvC3, but without any of the cell shading, and an attempt at realism. Thus pretty much everyone looks ugly. EDIT: And the new characters actually look pretty decent at worst.

I also feel the artstyle was why Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe were dropped from the roster. Viewtiful Joe would look especially gross with this artstyle.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You have to wait for a February shadowdrop before we even learn who the character is
Then we wait until E3 again before knowing who the first post pass character is!

Last edited by a moderator:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Amaterasu, I know Phoenix is the more popular pick I admit it, but Ammy is still a very likely Capcom rep who's unique enough to catch Sakurai's eye. She shouldn't be slept on.

Also Elma would be a great choice as well too. I wouldn't be too surprised if Sakurai threw us a curve ball and give us a first party character, and if that's the case I'd want it to be Elma.
Why would you say something so controversial, yet so brave?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Honestly, if a Monster Hunter rep was ever planned, they would’ve been one of the earlier fighters. If they had Rathalos in a presentable state during the August K. Rool direct, they clearly had the Monster Hunter license for a long time, meaning that theoretically they would’ve had the most potential time to be worked on.
This is just me speculating, but it's entirely possible that, like Hero, Monster Hunter was planned for base game, but was then moved up to DLC. Since the Monster Hunter devs insist on the monsters being the focus, maybe they allowed a playable Hunter to be in Smash, but on the condition that only Rathalos is in the base game, while the playable Hunter is a DLC character.

... likely not true like the rest of my crazy speculation (it certainly doesn't explain why Rathalos is basically just it for Monster Hunter representation in the base game), but who knows?

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
However, it's widely thought/known that the director of the Monster Hunter series wants the Monsters front and center, and dislikes the Hunter being used. The Hunter was added to MvCI without permission from the director, for example. Knowing Sakurai, he'd be one to respect the wishes of MH's Director.
I posted this in an unrealistic fighters thread on how a Hunter/Monster combo could work, might as well go into a bit more detail.

An interesting way of having a monster be "playable" would be to have it integrated into the Hunter's moveset, like a super meter that when it's filled the Hunter can lay down bait and summon a monster for an attack. If left alone for a few seconds the monster roars and runs forward, damaging anyone in its way until it goes offstage and disappears. But if the Hunter attacks the monster, it will strike back with an attack depending on what the hunter use to hurt it (i.e. a dash attack will make the monster hip-check, aerials will make the monster perform a jump attack, specials make it use a breath/energy attack, z-grabbing in the air mounts the monster and makes it dash around the stage for a bit before throwing the Hunter off, etc). That way the Hunter could "control" the monster's attacks to catch their opponent, though if the Hunter doesn't watch out, they'll be damaged by the monsters attack too (with reduced damage/knockback). If the monster takes enough damage it dies, giving a defense buff to the Hunter if they land the final blow.

It would need a lot of tweaking to be balanced (it'll basically be like a giant puppet-fighter playstyle), but imo it would be pretty faithful to the spirit of Monster Hunter.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
This is just a horrible artstyle. From what I've heard most of these characters are using the same models they did in MvC3/UMvC3, but without any of the cell shading, and an attempt at realism. Thus pretty much everyone looks ugly. EDIT: And the new characters actually look pretty decent at worst.

I also feel the artstyle was why Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe were dropped from the roster. Viewtiful Joe would look especially gross with this artstyle.
I would be horrified to know what Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe would look like in Infinite.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I can tell, because you just said Katalina was hype for you lmao
I know enough to know that this looks cool, no pun intended.

Same for this (and I especially like the music in this one).

I can't wait for both of those, especially Fantasy Versus, but Smash could've been my first time using the character.

At the time of the rumors, PlatinumGames was working on the Relink ARPG, and ArcSys made the fighting game. That alone was enough to generate hype. Katalina was involved with both companies, and they are the prime examples of their area of expertise.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Whoever Fighter 5 ends up being, how do you think their reveal trailer is gonna be handled?
  • A brand new elaborate CG trailer, like Hero
  • A CG trailer that's a sequel to a previous one, like Banjo
  • A trailer that uses other stuff like spritework, like Terry

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I know we're not playing the "what was relevant at the time" game, but Okami HD for the Switch was released August of 2018. We know that practically everyone at Nintendo is a huge fan of the game, and it would've been fresh on everyone at Sora Ltd's mind as they were polishing the base game and planning the DLC. I think Nintendo specifically would love to include the world of Okami in their crossover for a couple reasons, most notably how unique the stage/music tracks would be and due to the fact that Okami itself is one big love letter to the Legend of Zelda formula.

When I think of the phrase "bringing more game worlds together", the first thing I think of is a new quadrupedal fighter that doesn't play like anyone else, and a gorgeous watercolored stage dripping with traditional classic Japanese iconography that is weirdly, noticeably missing from Smash.

She won't be announced at TGA, but I can definitely see her getting a huge boost post-Pass. The only thing I can see working against her is that I can't find Sakurai talking about Ammy or Okami anywhere, so...

Night Gale

Smash Ace

Plot twist. You made the leak.

D

Deleted member

Whoever Fighter 5 ends up being, how do you think their reveal trailer is gonna be handled?
I choose option 4: Sakurai says that the character's in with nothing fancy to show.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
A trailer that is faking a new game/DLC of the serie, only to display its Smash connexion near the end. So it will depends on the character, may it be Phoenix, Amaterasu, Steve, Sora... And if it is a first party, it will be tied to a new game, may it be Golden Sun remaster, XCX2, or something.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
There's a video game character only rule but even if they defy it, the licensing issues would be a total pain in the ass. 007 has books AND movies. However, there's a way to circumvent that and any potential copyright lawsuit by way of parody. Remember the proximity mine from Melee?

It is obviously referring to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark but they allude to them as TOP SECRET. So, what if we got a spy character with James Bond's gadgets and sh*t but it wasn't James Bond? What if we got the second best thing they can legally get away with? What if we got an original character called TOP SECRET that's f***ing Masahiro Sakurai in a tuxedo cosplaying as James Bond? The face of James Bond changes every so often but Sakurai is eternal. They can even make his code name 008 in the game files.
Why make a new character when there is already a spiritual successor to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark? TimeSplitters was made by the team that made both games. All Sakurai would need to do is ask for Sgt. Cortez and BAM! You have the first DLC character to have an item represent their series! The Proximity mine from Goldeneye is also in the TimeSplitters series!

This is why Cortez would be amazing for Super Smash Bros Ultimate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom