• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai fades onto the screen, says the name of the character, then fades out.
... that's it. That's the reveal trailer. See you in February!:4pacman:
Or better yet, a silent black screen until the name “Jonesy” fades in in white text, then fades out.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
So, how about a fake leak, eh?

I'm honestly speechless at this. The fact that someone would go out of their way to finally, finally make a fake leak of the character I've wanted since I was a child in 1999, and to do a solid enough job at making a whole new render, is insane. I literally thought I was her only supporter and it's to the point that I only really support her as a bonus since I know she's the biggest pipe dream of them all. She was my ballot choice, too, because I figured I might as well shoot my shot.

I genuinely teared up seeing this. godspeed, fake leaker and mysterious other person who wants Marina Liteyears in Smash. If you don't make this an actual mod down the line I'll be upset.
Marina would be the most amazing "literally who" they could add. A shame it'll never happen though.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Why make a new character when there is already a spiritual successor to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark? TimeSplitters was made by the team that made both games. All Sakurai would need to do is ask for Sgt. Cortez and BAM! You have the first DLC character to have an item represent their series! The Proximity mine from Goldeneye is also in the TimeSplitters series!

This is why Cortez would be amazing for Super Smash Bros Ultimate!
It's time to split......

our ideas right down the middle and get both knock-off James Bond and Sergeant Cortez.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Same for this (and I especially like the music in this one).
If the music interests you, you can check out some songs from the original game. Granblue's soundtrack is composed by Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy) and Tsutomu Narita (assisted with the Xenoblade soundtrack among other things) and it's one of the best things about it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Why would anyone even care about James Bond when he's already been surpassed? Bring us James Pond.
I'm getting Sobble and naming him that when he evolves into his 3rd evo

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Whoever Fighter 5 ends up being, how do you think their reveal trailer is gonna be handled?
  • A brand new elaborate CG trailer, like Hero
  • A CG trailer that's a sequel to a previous one, like Banjo
  • A trailer that uses other stuff like spritework, like Terry
A brand new elaborate CG trailer, like Hero.
That brings up a fun game: What do you envision your favorite character's reveal trailer as the fifth fighter looking like.
I know we're not playing the "what was relevant at the time" game, but Okami HD for the Switch was released August of 2018. We know that practically everyone at Nintendo is a huge fan of the game, and it would've been fresh on everyone at Sora Ltd's mind as they were polishing the base game and planning the DLC. I think Nintendo specifically would love to include the world of Okami in their crossover for a couple reasons, most notably how unique the stage/music tracks would be and due to the fact that Okami itself is one big love letter to the Legend of Zelda formula.

When I think of the phrase "bringing more game worlds together", the first thing I think of is a new quadrupedal fighter that doesn't play like anyone else, and a gorgeous watercolored stage dripping with traditional classic Japanese iconography that is weirdly, noticeably missing from Smash.

She won't be announced at TGA, but I can definitely see her getting a huge boost post-Pass. The only thing I can see working against her is that I can't find Sakurai talking about Ammy or Okami anywhere, so...
Well said, TGA or post Pass I'd be hype either way to have Ammy in Smash.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
That brings up a fun game: What do you envision your favorite character's reveal trailer as the fifth fighter looking like.

Well said, TGA or post Pass I'd be hype either way to have Ammy in Smash.
If we do ever get Reimu, I would love for the trailer to be Peach, Zelda, and Palutena having a tea party, only for the camera to swing around and suddenly reveal that Reimu is bringing them tea (looking like "When are these guys gonna leave?" )& that they're in the middle of the Hakurei Shrine. I think that'd be the perfect mix of Touhou humor and frilliness to help win over people who don't know the series.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Wait hold the **** up.
Does Toon Link have that alt in the game? I never ****ing noticed it
Nope, he doesn't. It's either just a render recolor, or an actual mod (I haven't followed gamebanana in a while so I wouldn't know). If the creator of that Marina render indeed forged a fake CSS, there's a good chance she has a fully-rigged 3D model.

It's possible he/she will never share said-model, and equally possible that the model was only sculpted rather than t-posed for a bone layer. There are plenty of 3D models like that where the artists keep the works to themselves, and don't have any functions or polish beyond a render-only project.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If it's Phoenix Wright, and he's gonna be revealed at the Game Awards, his reveal trailer could easily use the same spritework and design as his home series...

Sakurai has said that this specific TGS promo video for the first game's DS release really stood out to him among all the other trailers at Tokyo Game Show, so I could see him making a Phoenix Wright reveal trailer in this same style. Make sure to leave out almost any indication that it's a Smash trailer (other than the E-10+ rating at the beginning, which I don't think is allowed to be left out) and have it come after an announcement trailer for Ace Attorney 7, and you have another perfect "bait and switch" trailer like with Joker at last year's Game Awards.

D

Deleted member

you guys know that the only localized Sakura Wars game was a commercial failure in the West, right?
Even assuming that Touhou and Sakura Wars are in the exact same boat, and giving it the worst case scenario of "nobody in the West has heard of either franchise", Touhou is STILL more likely to get into Smash than Sakura Wars if you purely use the popularity argument, as Touhou is INSANELY popular in Japan.
Just letting you know that Thsee 2 got in.
:ultbanjokazooie:
No big sales & no worldwide popularity. And this isn’t even the base game
as for indies being fighters if any I see it being Shantae

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Whoever Fighter 5 ends up being, how do you think their reveal trailer is gonna be handled?
"It depends".

For an FFXIV character, I'd half-expect them to get the studio that makes SE's trailers involved and have it transition from an FF trailer to a Smash trailer.
For Sketch Turner, I'd expect something using an animated comic format.
Likewise, a film motif would likely be used for Joe.​
For most properties, I'd expect a new CG trailer in the typical Smash style.
For most horror characters, I'd expect a sequel to Simon's trailer.
For Kevin Keene, I'd actually want a live-action trailer that segues into CG.
For Segata Sanshiro, I mentioned it before, but recreate the Smash 64 commercial in its cheesy, mascot-costume, glory, then have Segata show up at the end to lay everyone low and deliver his message.
For River City Ransom, it has to be sprite-work.

In general, I like to see new high-quality CG trailers, so it's kind of a shame if a new character doesn't bring one. But for certain characters, there's enough novelty that I can look past it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Neku (doubtful) - spritework
Octoling (doubtful for FP5) - new elaborate CG
Elma (going all in for her for FP5) - SORT OF sequel to Hero's, more of an AU where she's fighting off Galeem's minions instead, set to Uncontrollable. You know you want it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No big sales & no worldwide popularity. And this isn’t even the base game
as for indies being fighters if any I see it being Shantae
Over 5 million copies between two games isn't big sales?

Plus apparently they are popular in Japan, albeit obviously not as much as elsewhere.

(This isn't a knock on Reimu or anything, just correcting some misconceptions)

Neku (doubtful) - spritework
Octoling (doubtful for FP5) - new elaborate CG
Elma (going all in for her for FP5) - SORT OF sequel to Hero's, more of an AU where she's fighting off Galeem's minions instead, set to Uncontrollable. You know you want it.
I think if Neku were to get in, his trailer would be animated a la Little Mac's, with TWEWY's sketchy style.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
While some are talking about a fake leak, ya'll are oblivious to the real one that's been under our noses for nearly five years.

unknown.png

cosmicB

Smash Ace
A bunch of characters are fighting in the low-movement animation/art style of the Danganronpa executions. Suddenly the area goes dark and a spotlight shines on Mario. Words appear on a screen nearby that says "now commencing punishment for the ultimate plumber". He looks confused, but has little time to react as a chain wraps around his neck and pulls him upward. The chain loosens and he is dropped in what appears to be a sewer. Suddenly, the ground starts to shake. He notices a rush of water coming from behind him and starts to run in the opposite direction. He sees one of the typical pipes he uses, so he jumps through it. He ends up on the other side just as the water crushes the pipe and continues rushing toward him. Fortunately there are more pipes in front of him, which he keeps using. Going through pipe after pipe eventually increases his momentum to the point of being almost unstoppable. He is flung into the final pipe that reads "Exit" right over it just as the water increases its pace. Thinking everything is over as he travels through the last pipe, it slowly gets narrower and narrower until he can no longer fit in it, but he can't stop because of the momentum. The camera cuts to the other side of the pipe, which is no bigger in diameter than a garden hose. All that appears from the pipe's end is a bit of Mario's shredded hat covered in a pink liquid.

"MONOKUMA PUNISHES THE COMPETITION!"

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's a talking point, of the characters in the pass so far by genre we have

Dungeon Crawling/Life Sim RPG- Persona
Classic JRPG- Dragon Quest
3D Platformer- Banjo-Kazooie
2D Fighting Game- Fatal Fury/KOF

So of the potential last characters, what genre do you think could fill a gap?

Cooking Mama- covers the casual market and will be Smash's second mini-game collection character after WarioWare Wario
Three Houses Rep- Kinda stepping on Persona's LifeSim shoes but is ultimatly a strategy RPG
Phoenix Wright- Visual Novels would finally get their spotlight
Monster Hunter- A type of RPG/action hybrid.

Any more ideas?

I.D.

Smash Lord
No big sales & no worldwide popularity.
Banjo-Kazooie alone has more sales than the entire Sakura Taisen franchise combined lmao stop trying to push this narrative that these two series are comparable

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Banjo-Kazooie alone has more sales than the entire Sakura Taisen franchise combined lmao stop trying to push this narrative that these two series are comparable
That's not true though. From what I could find, the original Banjo-Kazooie sold around 2.2 million in its original release (couldn't find sales numbers for rereleases), while the entire Sakura Wars franchise is listed as selling over 4 million copies worldwide (though with no title selling over 600k, apparently).

An interesting tidbit though: Sakura Wars 2, the highest selling title, has sold "over 500.000" copies (Japan-only, of course). The original Banjo-Kazooie sold over 400.000 copies in Japan. So that's an interesting comparison.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Cooking Mama- covers the casual market and will be Smash's second mini-game collection character after WarioWare Wario
Three Houses Rep- Kinda stepping on Persona's LifeSim shoes but is ultimatly a strategy RPG

Any more ideas?
Reimu / Vic Viper - Shoot-'em-Up
Billy and Jimmy / Kunio-kun - Beat-'em-Up
Arle - Puzzle game

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
so Splatoon 2 is getting maintenance out of nowhere, nearly 6 months after the final Splatfest TEAM CHAOS FOREVERRRRR

it could just be balance, or music patches like letting more Final Fest tracks play in private splatfests

or...
Octoling is FP5 for Smash Bros Ultimate and Splatoon 2 is prepping in advance??

nah just kidding...

unless?

KillerCage

Smash Master
You're right.

Its Master Chief.

...What were you expecting Steve?
I like you.

Any more ideas?
Halo- A sci-fi first-person shooter.

D

Deleted member

No tea yet, I see. Another day gone, and still no deconfirmations. Perhaps Sabi and Verge have given up ruining fans dreams, I suppose.

To me, a brand-new CG Trailer would be quite expensive to make. A CG trailer that's a sequel would be on the medium difficulty, considering that the assets they used have been active for quite some time. Using other stuff would require assets from other companies, though I feel FP5's company would be quite grateful to Nintendo to do so.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We already have a Microsoft rep already, though Nintendo could curveball and and two reps from the same company into the pass; it's just that unexpected.
Just another of those so called fan rules that Sakurai continues to break as "Too irrelevant", "He's too big!" and "Too 3rd party" was. Nothing's stopping a two characters from the same company from getting in.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
That's not true though. From what I could find, the original Banjo-Kazooie sold around 2.2 million in its original release
Banjo-Kazooie sold over 3.6 million, I think you might be counting only USA+Japan sales.
while the entire Sakura Wars franchise is listed as selling over 4 million copies worldwide
The maingames reaching 4 million is obviously impossible if the most sold game reached half a million and there are only 5 mainline games, and I can't find **** about spinoff sales so I guess I'll just take wikipedia's word for it.

Still, whatever. Banjo-Kazooie alone is a mere 400K away from Sakura Taisen's twenty something titles combined. They are clearly not in the same ballpark of popularity here.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Just another of those so called fan rules that Sakurai continues to break as "Too irrelevant", "He's too big!" and "Too 3rd party" was. Nothing's stopping a two characters from the same company from getting in.
See, my thing about the "no double-dipping from companies" is that I'm not seeing it so much as a rule people are passing around like gospel, just more of an interesting thought.

Cause, like, the entire Fighter's Pass was decided a long time ago. It's not like negotiations are still being made as we speak as far as the pass itself goes. So, like, if a company was gonna double-dip in the same pass, why wouldn't they just group their characters together? Like, if we're gettin' Sora, why wouldn't Square just have him announced with Hero? Just seems like that would've been a better way to do it, if a company was gonna double-dip.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There's no hard rule. I don't think it'll be the case as I imagine Nintendo will want to get 5 different companies bought in on Smash DLC but anything could happen.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
See, my thing about the "no double-dipping from companies" is that I'm not seeing it so much as a rule people are passing around like gospel, just more of an interesting thought.

Cause, like, the entire Fighter's Pass was decided a long time ago. It's not like negotiations are still being made as we speak as far as the pass itself goes. So, like, if a company was gonna double-dip in the same pass, why wouldn't they just group their characters together? Like, if we're gettin' Sora, why wouldn't Square just have him announced with Hero? Just seems like that would've been a better way to do it, if a company was gonna double-dip.
[Is making a Sora and Hero mashup reveal edit]

Yo did I turn on screen sharing? How did you know?

CureParfait

Smash Ace

Depending on who Fighter 5 is I think their trailer might be 2D animation like Joker's or a new CG trailer.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Keep an eye out today and tomorrow just in case. Nintendo Versus posted the Resident Evil Spirit Board last Tuesday a little past 8:00 EST. They posted the SwSh one two Wednesdays ago around 2:00 EST.

KillerCage

Smash Master
We already have a Microsoft rep already, though Nintendo could curveball and and two reps from the same company into the pass; it's just that unexpected.

There's no hard rule. I don't think it'll be the case as I imagine Nintendo will want to get 5 different companies bought in on Smash DLC but anything could happen.
Technically Sora belongs to Disney, not Square-Enix who are the developers.
Of course there is the saying:
"Fan Smash patterns are made to be broken."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom