• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
On the topic off Sakura Wars, I have zero familiarity with the franchise, but I have seen it's character designs and they look super cool. I'd be okay with it. :drshrug:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
First of all don't take this post to serious, but if Nemesis ends up as FP5, because its the most iconic RE monster, Sakurai did a master troll with the RE spirit event xD

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
First of all don't take this post to serious, but if Nemesis ends up as FP5, because its the most iconic RE monster, Sakurai did a master troll with the RE spirit event xD
Chris, Jill, Leon, and Wesker are all spirits because Nemesis hunted them down and sent them to the next dimension.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
None of the Fighter's Pass characters are what I'd call "Huge western appeal characters" in the first place, so I'm kind of confused where the narrative that the pack is focusing on westerners started, lol. Especially with Terry and Hero being in.

Banjo is not exactly a superstar over here, either. He's popular with 90's kids who owned N64s and that seems to be about it, he isn't quite the giant gaming icon some make him out to be IMHO, and this is coming from someone who likes Banjo.
Banjo's popularity comes from the people who grew up playing his games in the late 90's, but is rather unknown to the younger generation. A lot of what helped Banjo get in is due to being highly requested, which Phil Spencer was already aware of by the time Microsoft negotiated with Nintendo. And yeah, I don't think the next fighter will be super mainstream, at least here in the west, but on the plus side Smash helps make franchises more popular.
Chris, Jill, Leon, and Wesker are all spirits because Nemesis hunted them down and sent them to the next dimension.
Not even Albert Wesker survived Nemesis.
Gonna repost this image I made since it's more relevant than ever now:
Is there a template for this?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I will admit that I disagree with NintenZ NintenZ logic here (mostly because I thought we just universally agree there wouldn't be another SEGA / Square Enix rep awhile back ago, but alrighty)

But Sakura is faaaaaaar form a littearly who
We never really reached a census on anything, the character could literally be from anyone.

But yeah I think some people here really underestimate the impact Sakura Wars made, especially considering it inspired games like Persona and Mass Effect and is a huge phenomenon in Japan, getting things like a cafe and most importantly the long-running stage show that kept the series alive during it's hiatus.

People REALLY need to start thinking outside of the box here, it's getting so annoying how hive-minded the thread can be.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
b-b-but

Nemesis is not for Good Boys And Girls(TM), he's too grotesque

:troll:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Realistically, at some point during the VGAs, Geoff will surprise us by welcoming recently-reunited band My Chemical Romance to the stage for a live rendition of this song while his reveal trailer plays in the background.
Honestly I don't know what else you guys are expecting. :ultpacman:

D

Deleted member

... end things on a high note...
People think this game after game after game. The Smash series has never ended things on a 'high note'. People were warned that before when we had credible info Ken (who we had already seen) and Incineroar were the last characters to be added, but they fell for that Grinch leak that no credible leaker at the time supported.

We could have a hype-inducing final character as the last spot in the pass, it's not impossible, but its not a 'must'. Don't fall into that pit trap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I can't promise not to sob like a nostalgic little b**** if Simple and Clean got into Super Smash.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
People talk a lot about Capcom reps but SEGA also have so many great potential choices. AIAI being a great example.
How can we hope to talk about SEGA characters when their own company forgets that half of them even exist?

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
People talk a lot about Capcom reps but SEGA also have so many great potential choices. AIAI being a great example.
People often overlook the amount of characters SEGA has that could be good choices. Besides Sakura, here are others:
  • Kiryu
  • Alex Kidd
  • NiGHTS
  • Opa Opa
  • Burning Rangers
  • Ulala (CERO has entered the chat)

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Would this allow us to get Gangnam Style in Smash?
I'm just waiting for a Gangnam Style dance for a taunt at this point
He isn't in because he would be too OP to the point that the tier list would be meaningless. Dude even fought against Chuck Norris once.
SEGA: Hey guys, Sonic's pretty cool right?

SEGA Fans: Yeah I guess, but what happened to Jet Set Radio?

SEGA: ...Is that a kind of Sonic?
Ngl I would be completely down to have The Concept of Love as a song in Smash.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Nemesis as FP5?
.... Instead of Byleth or TH Lords, we get the King of Liberation himself. And everyone will hear God-Shattering Star in all its glory!

That's a joke, lads.

D

Deleted member

Why does Fursona 5 over there have flesh colored hands?
I think that's the 'gloveless' option. Either that or the monkey hands to appear human-like. It was the go-to option to make your character give real uncanny valley vibes.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
People think this game after game after game. The Smash series has never ended things on a 'high note'. People were warned that before when we had credible info Ken (who we had already seen) and Incineroar were the last characters to be added, but they fell for that Grinch leak that no credible leaker at the time supported.

We could have a hype-inducing final character as the last spot in the pass, it's not impossible, but its not a 'must'. Don't fall into that pit trap.
besides which, it makes sense for the fighter's pass to be front loaded

you want people to buy it early when they don't know 4/5 of it besides joker, not after they know who's in it

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Wait, Konami exists! James Sunderland for Fighter #5 please Nintendo!

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
We never really reached a census on anything, the character could literally be from anyone.

But yeah I think some people here really underestimate the impact Sakura Wars made, especially considering it inspired games like Persona and Mass Effect and is a huge phenomenon in Japan, getting things like a cafe and most importantly the long-running stage show that kept the series alive during it's hiatus.

People REALLY need to start thinking outside of the box here, it's getting so annoying how hive-minded the thread can be.
How can we hope to talk about SEGA characters when their own company forgets that half of them even exist?
As much as I love NintenZ NintenZ logic for Sakura Wars and Reimu, but, let's be real here SEGA seems to forget they even have other characters that's not Sonic or Atlus adjacent for them half of the time to get someone else. Coming from a SEGA fan.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Massive long-running Sega series featuring a character that had major fan demand in Japan and is getting pushed in the west after one of it's best-selling games?

It's Arle Nadja time. Get ready to pop some Puyos.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Companies neglecting their own characters means pretty much nothing when Sakurai and the Smash team are involved.

Reminder that prior to his Smash 4 confirmation, Mega Man was in a bit of a slump including a bunch of cancelled releases and Inafune leaving Capcom altogether

and then of course you got Banjo Kazooie, a franchise that was (and still might be) dormant for 10+ years, and let's just say it didn't really go out on a high note

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

I'm not saying it "must" end on a high note, but I'm saying it's certainly possible especially with how none of the DLC characters are exactly mainstream. Smash 4 DLC ended with Bayonetta, which I consider a high note to end the DLC with. At the end of the day they're selling something to us, if the character is not appealing to the majority of the player base then why put them there to begin with? Regardless of who FP5 is I'm sure it will be someone great, the rest of the fighters pass has been incredible and I don't see why that would change for the last character.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Companies neglecting their own characters mean pretty much nothing when Sakurai and the Smash team are involved.

Reminder that prior to his Smash 4 confirmation, Mega Man was in a bit of a slump including a bunch of cancelled releases and Inafune leaving Capcom altogether

and then of course you got Banjo Kazooie, a franchise that was (and still might be) dormant for 10+ years
Before Simon was revealed, Castlevania was regulated to pachinko machines. Metal Gear has fallen off a cliff after Kojima left and ended with Metal Gear Survive, and was also regulated to pachinko machines.

Smash is known to revive series, after all (see: Mega Man 11 and Kid Icarus: Uprising)

I.D.

Smash Lord
Warning Issued
Bruh, look at this dood

But yeah I think some people here really underestimate the impact Sakura Wars made, especially considering it inspired games like Persona and Mass Effect and is a huge phenomenon in Japan
Hohoho wait till you see the-

oh nononono

Yeah we are the hive-mind, not the group of people with anime avatars who are trying to push the narrative that Banjo-Kazooie is basically just as niche as a series whose most sold title barely scratches 500k copies on the sega saturn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom