• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
when people say characters like bayonetta or joker are "little known" i really want a definition on what that category looks like.
I always argue that the only Smash characters casuals recognize at a glance are Mario and Pikachu. Most sales are due to those two alone if we consider the sales majority to come from soccer moms and well-meaning grandparents. Everything else is just a bonus, but people within the Smash bubble tend to forget that the series has always been a gateway to almost everything under Nintendo and the obscure side of the horizon.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly, main reason why I don't think Character #5 is gonna be some ultra well known or mainstream character to get a big reaction off The Game Awards is because it'd require big sixth sense from Sakurai and Nintendo to not only put the development order of each characters to leave #5 in advance but also save them for a reaction off a game show.

It'd require a lot of ridiculous forethought and planning just to get a reaction off one show.

Also I imagine the audience will probably be excited for a new character, no matter how mainstream or "Niche" they are simply because its Smash Brothers.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
"PSYCHE YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO GET A MAINSTREAM CHARACTER BUT IT'S ACTUALLY SOME JAPANESE LITERALLY WHO, CONSIDER YOUR EXPECTATIONS SUBVERTED DUMB GAIJIN"
"Couldn't this reasoning apply to literally any other niche Japanese character, like Raymoo?"
"N-No, she doesn't count, my character is a lot bigger and more important"
I will admit that I disagree with NintenZ NintenZ logic here (mostly because I thought we just universally agree there wouldn't be another SEGA / Square Enix rep awhile back ago, but alrighty)

But Sakura is faaaaaaar form a littearly who

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Honestly, main reason why I don't think Character #5 is gonna be some ultra well known or mainstream character to get a big reaction off The Game Awards is because it'd require big sixth sense from Sakurai and Nintendo to not only put the development order of each characters to leave #5 in advance but also save them for a reaction off a game show.

It'd require a lot of ridiculous forethought and planning just to get a reaction off one show.

Also I imagine the audience will probably be excited for a new character, no matter how mainstream or "Niche" they are simply because its Smash Brothers.
It doesn't require any foresight at all. All that's required is for Nintendo/Sakurai/Geoff Keighley/whoever to decide, maybe like a month ago, whether the last fighter is a good match for TGA.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Not really? Judging by most of Smash's DLC, characters are usually shown off about 2 months before release, and they're experienced devs, they know how long it will take to make a DLC character, they knew that it'd take February at most to release all 5, hence the estimate on the FP. Chances are the marketing team would go "Alright, FP5 is presentable, and there's an event going on soon, we can use this oppertunity to release the trailer when everyone's watching

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I always argue that the only Smash characters casuals recognize at a glance are Mario and Pikachu. Most sales are due to those two alone if we consider the sales majority to come from soccer moms and well-meaning grandparents. Everything else is just a bonus, but people within the Smash bubble tend to forget that the series has always been a gateway to almost everything under Nintendo and the obscure side of the horizon.
Just wondering, but, in Ultimate specifically, what portion of the roster does the statistically average player get around to even unlocking (and thus get introduced to?)

If you’ve ever looked through Steam achievement percentages, some 10%-20% of players often don’t even beat the first level, much less get to anything deeper in the game. I’d imagine people playing Ultimate would get further just based on the fact that it’s a 60$ game and so they have more motivation to play it, but I doubt most of them would get that close to unlocking them all.

D

Deleted member

scenes when there isn't a fighter reveal at vga and we're stuck with fp5 speculation until februrary when they finally reveal that fighter's pass 5 was the journey, not the destination

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I will admit that I disagree with NintenZ NintenZ logic here (mostly because I thought we just universally agree there wouldn't be another SEGA / Square Enix rep awhile back ago, but alrighty)

2dmk14.jpg

Just wondering, but, in Ultimate specifically, what portion of the roster does the statistically average player get around to even unlocking (and thus get introduced to?)

If you’ve ever looked through Steam achievement percentages, some 10%-20% of players often don’t even beat the first level, much less get to anything deeper in the game. I’d imagine people playing Ultimate would get further just based on the fact that it’s a 60$ game and so they have more motivation to play it, but I doubt most of them would get that close to unlocking them all.
But Ultimate is a fighting game, and people are bound to want the full roster, so I imagine even the most casual of casuals still look up how to unlock everyone, there are some very easy and quick ways.

D

Deleted member

seriously, who's vergeben?
VeggieTales is an American Christian franchise of children's computer animated television shows, DVDs, Blu-rays, videos, feature films, web shows, books, games and albums. Sarcastic, limbless, talking fruit and vegetable characters perform in full theatrical productions that retell Bible stories and parody mainstream pop culture. Each episode teaches a moral life lesson through a biblical world view, Christian history and concepts. The lessons include dealing with peer pressure, handling bullies, forgiving others, fighting temptation, handling fear, listening to parents, having self-esteem and being compassionate. It was created by Phil Vischer and Mike Nawrocki, who both perform many of the characters’ voices.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm really hyped for Resident Evil 3, Jill looks amazing, I love her redesign. I guess the official reveal will take place at the Game Awards, if that's the case it's a shame it leaked before the official announcement
I'm so hyped right now that I don't even care if Verge decides deconfirm today all my remaining favorites please don't

osby

Smash Obsessed
And those little known characters are still a thousand times more known than Sakura Whatever.
Oh good, for one second I was afraid that we've gone two days without a pissing contest over fictional characters.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't require any foresight at all. All that's required is for Nintendo/Sakurai/Geoff Keighley/whoever to decide, maybe like a month ago, whether the last fighter is a good match for TGA.
inb4 it is actually revealed at the Game Awards that Geoff Keighley himself is the real FP #5 and Hideo Kojima is the first character in the second fighters pass.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord

There are more characters is video games named Sakura than there are stars in the sky. I just came into this thread and have no idea whatsoever which one of those Sakuras is being discussed here lol.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Credible Smash fighter leaker. Hasn't made a wrong guess when making fighters.
Not entirely, he did say K. Rool wasn't in. And Minecraft content being in.

But that's besides the point because literally everything else from him has been accurate.

D

Deleted member

Not entirely, he did say K. Rool wasn't in. And Minecraft content being in.

But that's besides the point because literally everything else from him has been accurate.
He said he didn't hear anything about K. Rool, which is different from saying "this character is not in."

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

I like this line of thinking, but consider this:
Assuming each character takes around 3-4 months to work on, let's pretend that Piranha Plant was in the finalization stages before its eventual release in February:
-Plant development starts October and ends at February
-Joker development starts December and ends at April
-Hero development starts February and ends at July
-Banjo development starts May and ends at September
-Terry development starts July and ends at October
-Fighter #5 starts September and ends at January

And this is also assuming they manage to get everything done before they even hit February of 2020, which was just an estimate of when the Fighter's Pass would be completed. Putting that aside, everything else is a rough estimate of how much time they've spent on each character. Ergo, spacing out announcements based on big events isn't all that far-fetched, which is why I have zero hopes of expecting someone like Reimu at TGA.

There's always been this bizarre notion that Smash should stick to the recognizable video game characters without consideration of whether or not they'd also mesh well and play fun. We definitely have people who advocate for characters because of personal tastes, but we also have the business-orientated sub-group of the Smash bubble who don't really care much on the fun prospect as long as big names drive sales, AKA "POPULAR GOOD; NICHE BAD".

D

Deleted member

everyone always asks who is vergeben, but never how is vergeben

or what is vergeben

a miserable little pile of

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The fifth fighter can literally be anyone, niche or mainstream. However, people are forgetting that the Fighters Pass was decided a year ago so whoever we're getting as FP5 was decided to be the final fighter added to Ultimate before any extra DLC was approved, with that in mind it would make sense to end things on a high note if the DLC was planned with these characters being the last. Call me crazy but the fact that none of the DLC characters have been truly worldwide mainstream characters makes me think the next fighter will be one. My prediction is that the next fighter gonna be Dragonborn.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Dragonborn
the only question is how we fill out a stage song list with skyrim tracks that aren't overly ambient or unnamed battle theme no. 2

or a spirit board

once you get past alduin and mudcrabs what even are skyrim spirits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom