• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I'd definitely be glad if Sora got in, Kingdom Hearts is a game that's near and dear to me. The only games I haven't play yet is Chain of Memories, Reloaded, and Union X.

As for Morrigan, well... she'd be okay but I'd rather Hsien-Ko if we had to get someone from Darkstalkers. But if we're getting a Capcom character, well... you all know what my choice would be by now.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I know this means **** all for Smash but here's something interesting
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Automata blew everyone's minds and became mainstream so we'll be able to see if this becomes a high profile series now. It could lead to a Nier character in the future
What other way to perfectly celebrate an anniversary than to add 2B into Smash... ;)

I'm actually being serious. That would be one heck of an anniversary. Do it Sakurai!!!

Also a remake of the game would be amazing. I love Nier music.

If 2B gets into smash, an alt or costume of A2, 9S, and a costume of Kaine would... oh wait Kaine would be too adult like for Smash lol xD

D

Deleted member

Come on! We're bored, so I'm going to throw an idea out to see where it leads us.

FP5 will be Bellona from SMITE.
Fun fact, I played SMITE but due to me trying to clear my Switch data for Smash, I had to delete it. And I remembered being a Nemesis main. And then I heard about the RWBY collab. What's next, Mobile Legends? MIYA for Smash y'all!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Throwing out an idea, are there any 4chan leaks that guessed the first 4 characters right left?

Or are all the number 5s ones that have been shot down?

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Throwing out an idea, are there any 4chan leaks that guessed the first 4 characters right left?

I feel that at this point such an impossibility would’ve been located by now, but I’ll look anyway.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I am truly envious of Yoko Taro. Literally create nothing but objectively bad games one after another, still somehow achieve greater success than most developers ever will and also get most of the credit while PlatinumGames does the heavy lifting.
I'd say nearly everyone who enjoyed NieR Automata is aware that Platinum Games was behind the development, so they're not overshadowed by Yoko Taro or anything. Equal recognition perhaps?

I'd even go so far as to say that it was because of PG that NieR Automata succeeded. If the gameplay was bad, I don't think it would have been as successful as it was. PG have a good reputation and are adored by fans from what I see, so people hearing that they were developing the game probably boosted interest.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I am truly envious of Yoko Taro. Literally create nothing but objectively bad games one after another, still somehow achieve greater success than most developers ever will and also get most of the credit while PlatinumGames does the heavy lifting.
Oh please. In comparison to him, they’re puny and boring as ****.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say nearly everyone who enjoyed NieR Automata is aware that Platinum Games was behind the development, so they're not overshadowed by Yoko Taro or anything. Equal recognition perhaps?

I'd even go so far as to say that it was because of PG that NieR Automata succeeded. If the gameplay was bad, I don't think it would have been as successful as it was. PG have a good reputation and are adored by fans from what I see, so people hearing that they were developing the game probably boosted interest.
I think it was a symbiotic relationship. Platinum has had some bad luck on some of their licences, to the point where it looked like Microsoft was gonna buy them out.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I'd say that's the biggest issue that ought to be addressed within this fandom.

Even in this thread I notice a lot of close-minded speculation. Certain characters (typically those favored by users here) are focused on with near tunnel-vision and outside characters are shoved to the side or straight up denounced. I feel like if people were willing to seriously look at the many different series that have been brought up, like Tohou, Guilty Gear, Darkstalkers, Fortnite, Minecraft, Halo, Kingdom Hearts, etc. etc. etc., speculation would become more open. It'd be more about "here's why this character would be cool and here's why I think they have a chance" instead of "here's why your character doesn't have a chance and you should stop talking." I'll admit I'm a bit guilty of spreading the former myself, but I think a little effort could go a long way here.

Sakurai does it, so why can't we?

Aaaand this is precisely why I bring up Story of Seasons at basically every opportunity. Not because I'm obsessed with it, I promise I'm not. But because I truly believe it deserves consideration. And I know no one else will bring it up barring perhaps Ornl Ornl . So I figure if I don't it simply won't get talked about. And even when I do it usually gets ignored. Which is funny, because I do see people bring up Marvelous every once in a while as a company that could get a rep, but that never translates to any discussion about who. In case you were wondering I very much believe Farmer would be the rep for Marveous were it to ever happen. Senran Kagura is really the only competition and we all know that won't fly if Mai won't. And as far as I can tell No More Heroes is not Marvelous' IP, but Grasshopper Manufacture.

Really though I do genuinely believe Farmer has a better chance than most everyone thinks. And I'm sure there are plenty other characters similarly disregarded because they don't happen to fit the taste of the specific communities that flock to this type of forum. Like Frogger was, up until he was rumored for a hot second like a month ago or whenever that was.

Feels a bit like deja vu since I said the same things about Dragon Quest before Hero became rumored and subsequently became the talk of the forum until his reveal. I definitely don't feel as strongly about Farmer by any means, but still its funny to me that people keep looking to the "obvious" picks, when most of the picks so far were never thought of as obvious until perhaps after their inclusion. Back before Hero was rumored it was difficult to get most people to care enough to talk about Dragon Quest much less consider it seriously. And as far as I know, no one saw Joker coming. Nor did I see many people talking about Terry. But naturally he as obvious in retrospect.

And I imagine, regardless of whoever ends up being FP5, the overall sentiment after will be that the character was obvious post reveal. Or at least a couple weeks down the line once people have gotten used to the idea.

But then I also thought Bomberman was basically a lock going into Ultimate, and we know how that ended up.

D

Deleted member

I'll also share this here. Last I heard before Joker got added into Smash, Persona 5 had sold 2.7 million copies.

It's at 3.2 million now.

https://twitter.com/p_kouhou/status/1201797583892385792?s=20

Good stuff. I'm sure there are lots of game developers out there vying to get their games into smash for that sweet, sweet, exposure.
I have to admit it worked with me.

I am picking P5R and P5S after really enjoying the Smash content the Persona series got, and I got into KoF98 after Terry.

Kokiden

Smash Ace

I am picking P5R and P5S after really enjoying the Smash content the Persona series got, and I got into KoF98 after Terry.
I picked up Dragon Quest for the first time after Hero dropped.

I learned what Fire Emblem was thanks to Smash too, and am going to try out Three Houses very soon.

Smash exposed a lot of new games to me. No other game quite like it.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
  • Pac-Man but no Ms. Pac-Man
  • Tetris PNGs but no stage

I'm starting to think there's something off about this Ultimate Video game crossover.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I learned what Fire Emblem was thanks to Smash too, and am going to try out Three Houses very soon.

Heck, I would not be on the internet talking about games at all today if it wasn’t for Megaman’s inclussion in Smash (which is a long and really fun story for another day) and wouldn’t have become a Metroid fan if it wasn’t for Smash.

Smash is indeed a really big deal for this kind of stuff.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace

I'm just wondering (or should I say, wonderwing) if this did any favors for Banjo overseas, particularly in Japan. Literally 3 people own an Xbox One over there, and I'm curious if their exposure to him got anyone to push more sales of those units, or just dust off their N64s and play the OG titles.

D

Deleted member

I'm just wondering (or should I say, wonderwing) if this did any favors for Banjo overseas, particularly in Japan. Literally 3 people own an Xbox One over there, and I'm curious if their exposure to him got anyone to push more sales of those units, or just dust off their N64s and play the OG titles.
Well, if I remember correctly the Xbox One got a bit popular in japanese online media after Sakurai brought it up on Banjo’s presentation.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I'll also share this here. Last I heard before Joker got added into Smash, Persona 5 had sold 2.7 million copies.

It's at 3.2 million now.

https://twitter.com/p_kouhou/status/1201797583892385792?s=20

Good stuff. I'm sure there are lots of game developers out there vying to get their games into smash for that sweet, sweet, exposure.
I'm honestly curious about the Dragon Quest sales after Hero's reveal. Should expose the series to the west even further now.
We'll see in 11 hours if we get an mini-direct or Smash direct otherwise its the VGA it is for FP5.
If not by the end of today or tomorrow, we're getting a Game Awards reveal. Also keep an eye out for a Spirit Event that could be announced tonight or next Tuesday in case of possible deconfimations.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Haven't played Three House yet... Or any Fire Emblem game for that matter. I'm guessing (for those who've played it) it's pretty good right?

osby

Smash Obsessed

Shoutouts to Smash 4 for making me try Bayonetta. It's one of my favorite series ever now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also keep an eye out for a Spirit Event that could be announced tonight or next Tuesday in case of possible deconfimations.
A Spirit event immediately after a recent one? Geez, I honestly don't see that coming. It would be hard to program in a short span of time like in between now and TGA!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If not by the end of today or tomorrow, we're getting a Game Awards reveal. Also keep an eye out for a Spirit Event that could be announced tonight or next Tuesday in case of possible deconfimations.
Watch Phoenix Wright be among those. ;P

So many hearts including mine will be shattered.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Here's your answer https://twitter.com/_ShaneGill_/status/1177610416886669312?s=19

Edit:I also heard that DQ 11 S sales were disappointing, particurlarly in Japan (but that's not too surprising considering it was still a very late port)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Shoutouts to Smash 4 for making me try Bayonetta. It's one of my favorite series ever now.
I still want to play the duology too.

Maybe next year, since my Christmas purchases are already taken.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I think the closest we've seen to that was someone on a French forum who posted a wishlist/prediction for the Pass, which included the four characters so far plus KOS-MOS (although I think Hero was called Erdrick on it). It raised a few eyebrows after Terry's reveal, but when he was approached about it he just said he had been lucky. Can't remember the source as it's been a while, but maybe someone else can.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
so i think i know why we just got RE spirits

There was a problem fetching the tweet

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I think the closest we've seen to that was someone on a French forum who posted a wishlist/prediction for the Pass, which included the four characters so far plus KOS-MOS (although I think Hero was called Erdrick on it). It raised a few eyebrows after Terry's reveal, but when he was approached about it he just said he had been lucky. Can't remember the source as it's been a while, but maybe someone else can.
I swear to God, if Kosmos was the final pass fighter, it would hilarious as ****.

Vergeban: Opps. I got data for fighter #6 instead. Sirry.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
We get it. You want KOS-MOS.
I don’t. If I could trade the ***** with Hollow Knight as smash dlc, I would do it with no regrets.

Plus, I’m making fun of the leakers, because they don’t predict line ups for ****.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I hope we get an anniversary direct announced soon. Where Sakurai reveals the FP5 and the plans for future DLC... maybe also include a reveal for the first post pass character.
Because I don't want to suffer the VGAs again... ugh..

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I wonder if the new post-pass fighters are going to be really stupid because they’re characters that only a few People know. I’m highly suspicious of games/characters that get their massive news around smash reveals since they have likely planned way before the second fighter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom