• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Y'know, it just hit me, but does anyone else think that there might be two reveals at the VGAs (again if there is one) for both FP5 and a reveal of a potential Fighter's Pass 2?
Don't forget there is a chance that we can get a bonus fighter that appears before the 2nd Fighter Pass like Piranha Plant.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How many notable RPGs were released in 2015/2016?
Witcher 3, Fire Emblem Fates (strategy but still, it was nominated), World of Warcraft Legion, Mass Effect Andromeda (LUL), and of course Xenoblade Chronicles X. Went to the TGA 2016 article on Wikipedia

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
How many notable RPGs were released in 2015/2016?
Witcher 3, Fire Emblem Fates (strategy but still, it was nominated), World of Warcraft Legion, Mass Effect Andromeda (LUL), and of course Xenoblade Chronicles X. Went to the TGA 2016 article on Wikipedia
I was going to say Nier, but that was 2017 with P5 iirc

This makes me worried that 2B actually has a shot. I don't have a problem with the character that much, I love her in SCVI, but I.... don't like being reminded that Nier: Automata exists

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
WAIT... THEY NOMINATED FATES FOR BEST STRATEGY GAME?

THAT'S LIKE JUMP FORCE NOMINATED FOR BEST FIGHTING GAME LEVELS OF "BRUH"

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
-I said this like a week ago I think, I'd like the Villager from Age of Empires as a fighter, able to transfrom into different units depending on the move and to craft turrets and siege weapons on the battlefield similar to how Animal Crossing's Villager crafts the tree. One of the moves would obviously represent the priest, since it's the most iconic and meme unit of the series.
This is a cool idea! An Age rep has been growing as my pipe dream character of pipe dream characters. I'd like to see RTS elements incorporated in smash, even if that may not be feasible. Plus, imagine the music selection! For your idea, you may need a different name: we may have two Roys, and might one day have two Ryus, but I think two Villagers is pushing it.

Personally, I'd prefer Arkantos from Age of Mythology. I know AoE2 is more popular, but Arkantos is an actual character; a silly, slightly shallow RTS campaign character but a character nonetheless. But you could still incorporate RTS mechanics if you wanted (upgrades, support units, population, etc), and his rally ability could be interesting for doubles (buffs stats of allies in close vicinity). Also, we'd finally have a Spear user!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
They nominated Andromeda. I think that’s much worse LOL
Andromeda is on the same level.
To be fair, it was for Most Anticipated Game, as it wasn't released at that point

still hilarious in hindsight, assuming it was in the same reigns as the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, and Breath of the Wild lol

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To be fair, it was for most anticipated game, as it wasn't released at that point
And look how it blew up in everyone’s faces lmaooooo

those FACES man... we’re reaching uncanny valley levels that shouldn’t be possible

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Doesn't seem like there were too many good options if Fates and Andromeda ended up as nominations.

Edit: You left out Dark Souls 3.

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
And look how it blew up in everyone’s faces lmaooooo

those FACES man... we’re reaching uncanny valley levels that shouldn’t be possible
I... actually kinda liked what I played of Andromeda. It may have also helped that you could actually kiss the turian this time.

cothero

Smash Lord
I never thought of Firebrand being in Smash before seeing this video, but i'm now convinced it could be an excellent character. This video sums up some good options for a Capcom character as fighter #5:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
WAIT... THEY NOMINATED FATES FOR BEST STRATEGY GAME?

THAT'S LIKE JUMP FORCE NOMINATED FOR BEST FIGHTING GAME LEVELS OF "BRUH"
In fairness, Conquest's gameplay is one of the few things from Fates that still gets a lot of praise today. From a mechanical standpoint the nomination made sense for Best Strategy Game.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
In fairness, Conquest's gameplay is one of the few things from Fates that still gets a lot of praise today. From a mechanical standpoint the nomination made sense for Best Strategy Game.
Conquest's gameplay was magnificent and Birthright had a few neat moments. Revelation was very much not fun IMO.

The story across all three routes, however, unfortunately had about the same standards of a self-insert Sonic the Hedgehog fanfiction. It's one of those game where while I enjoyed playing it a lot at the time, it isn't aging well with me and I doubt I will ever revisit it.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I really dislike Nier: Automata. I don't know why everyone likes it and frankly, I kind of thing Yoko Taro is a bit of a hack
Just curious, did you finish it? Its one of those games that isn't going to appeal to everyone, and good chunk of the people it DOES appeal to won't even like it until much later into it.

Something that seems made to be inherently divisive like Metal Gear Solid 2 or Danganronpa V3.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I really dislike Nier: Automata. I don't know why everyone likes it and frankly, I kind of thing Yoko Taro is a bit of a hack
I got that from the first post, what made me curious is the "why".

Also, just realized that maybe we should take this to DMs, because I don't wanna clog the thread while discussing people's opinions on games, like it usually happens lol.

KatKit

Smash Lord
For those of you interested in Phoenix Wright but have never played, the Ace Attorney Trilogy is on sale right now for $20 on the Switch. Do take advantage of these holiday deaaaals.

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Just curious, did you finish it? Its one of those games that isn't going to appeal to everyone, and good chunk of the people it DOES appeal to won't even like it until much later into it.

Something that seems made to be inherently divisive like Metal Gear Solid 2 or Danganronpa V3.
No, I didn't. Nothing about the gameplay or story really drove me to want to continue it. I got to about the point woth Kierkegaard in the factory with 2B before I just stopped because I couldn't stand it anymore

I got that from the first post, what made me curious is the "why".

Also, just realized that maybe we should take this to DMs, because I don't wanna clog the thread while discussing people's opinions on games, like it usually happens lol.
I'm cool with that

Flyboy

Smash Hero
No, I didn't. Nothing about the gameplay or story really drove me to want to continue it. I got to about the point woth Kierkegaard in the factory with 2B before I just stopped because I couldn't stand it anymore
bruh you played like none of it lol like fair play if it isn't for you but you can't call a dude a hack if you didn't even experience the story he told

and why would you personally not vibing with a game make you so mad that you don't want the character in smash like damn

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
bruh you played like none of it lol like fair play if it isn't for you but you can't call a dude a hack if you didn't even experience the story he told

and why would you personally not vibing with a game make you so mad that you don't want the character in smash like damn
To be fair to him, he did say he liked 2B in SCVI, his problem was more with the OG game itself, not guest appearances.

And as a fan of both Automata and Gestalt... yeah, it's not for everyone. Even though 2B is my second most wanted, I think it's fair to acknowledge that.

Speaking of - I do think she has a shot if companies can double dip in the Pass, though I'm more confident in her for Season 2.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Heh, you stopped before even I started to enjoy the game. Perfectly understandable, it's your right to not continue with a slow burn if you don't think the payoff is worth it. But you're also missing a lot of context for why "everyone likes it" and I don't think it's totally fair to call Yoko Taro a hack with that amount of information.

There's a joke among Yoko Taro fans in general. "If you've only seen the credits once, then the game hasn't started yet". Something like that at least. With Nier Automata, the "true" title screen basically doesn't show up until you've "beaten" the game twice.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Heh, you stopped before even I started to enjoy the game. Perfectly understandable, it's your right to not continue with a slow burn if you don't think the payoff is worth it. But you're also missing a lot of context for why "everyone likes it" and I don't think it's totally fair to call Yoko Taro a hack with that amount of information.

There's a joke among Yoko Taro fans in general. "If you've only seen the credits once, then the game hasn't started yet". Something like that at least. With Nier Automata, the "true" title screen basically doesn't show up until you've "beaten" the game twice.
I mean, one of my friends, the big Nier fan of our group, told me that if I hadn't already gotten into it it wasn't gonna get any better and I tend to agree with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom