• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Y'know we had to wait half a year between Joker and Hero/Banjo being announced yet somehow you've all gone comparitively more stir crazy waiting for fighter 5 in only half the amount of time
I'm just curious what's different this time

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It's a love letter to Marvel vs. Capcom and Power Rangers; I couldn't recommend it enough to fans of either one. It's fun and easy to pick up and play, and the story mode they added was decent. You've seen Eric's trailer, right?

Even for those who aren't fans of PR, that's still really dope. It's as fun as it looks. I play with my little nephew and he loves it. It's fun for the whole family. It's very accessible but has a high skill ceiling.

It's obviously on a budget, but its strengths far outweigh its flaws, IMO. I didn't regret it and its DLC, but I would like Space or Ninja Storm content lol.
My only gripes with it are that there's only Neo Saban era character and it's from the season no one liked, seriously at least Samurai, Dino charge and Ninja steel have fans, why use a Megaforce character? Also they haven't used Beast morphers yet, seems kinda weird since that's a promotional pic that's practically gift wrapped for you.

Y'know we had to wait half a year between Joker and Hero/Banjo being announced yet somehow you've all gone comparitively more stir crazy waiting for fighter 5 in only half the amount of time
Because it's the last character of the season probably.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Maybe because Insiders weren't playing a game of Guess Who with the fans during that period.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
It's the end of the Fighter's Pass, and whenever something in Smash ends, fans go nuts thinking it's gonna end in something earth shattering.

And then stuff like :ultpiranha: happens and we all get to enjoy the fallout.

SKX31

Smash Master
So who is ready for an annoucement? Of an announcement. Of course every one loves that.

Sarcasm aside, Tencent posted an update earlier this morning (6:00 ET, 12:00 CET):

Regardless of FP5 being there (unlikely) or not, the date for the Chinese presentation has been set: December 4th. I find it unlikely that Nintendo will post about this tomorrow, but watch out if they do.

Still I'll reiterate from earlier:

Tencent promised Nintendo they'd sell a few million Switches in China. And guess what? The console is getting real exposure there. Obligatory "The Switch's success is not assured, it could still fail" - but if it does become a success, then I'd honestly argue that a Chinese favorite's decently if not outright likely for Post-Pass. There are a lot of characters who could fit in that category too.

(Correction from earlier: MK8DX has been officially shown in China, but not Tennis Aces. Additional note: The Nintendo store in Shanghai has been covered up, implying that it's likely unofficial.)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So who is ready for an annoucement? Of an announcement. Of course every one loves that.

Sarcasm aside, Tencent posted an update earlier this morning (6:00 ET, 12:00 CET):

Regardless of FP5 being there (unlikely) or not, the date for the Chinese presentation has been set: December 4th. I find it unlikely that Nintendo will post about this tomorrow, but watch out if they do.

Still I'll reiterate from earlier:

Tencent promised Nintendo they'd sell a few million Switches in China. And guess what? The console is getting real exposure there. Obligatory "The Switch's success is not assured, it could still fail" - but if it does become a success, then I'd honestly argue that a Chinese favorite's decently if not outright likely for Post-Pass. There are a lot of characters who could fit in that category too.

(Correction from earlier: MK8DX has been officially shown in China, but not Tennis Aces. Additional note: The Nintendo store in Shanghai has been covered up, implying that it's likely unofficial.)
Tencent controls pretty much everything so if they say the Switch will sell a few million, it will sell a few million

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
The releases and announces have gotten more frequent recently, so it seems likely that something is coming up soon.

I also don't believe it was actually half a year between Joker and Hero. It was certainly longer than Hero to Banjo, but it wasn't that long, Hero was released like 2-3 months after Joker

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The releases and announces have gotten more frequent recently, so it seems likely that something is coming up soon.

I also don't believe it was actually half a year between Joker and Hero. It was certainly longer than Hero to Banjo, but it wasn't that long, Hero was released like 2-3 months after Joker
I belive they're referring to Joker's initial reveal at the game awards

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Sony manufactured the Xenoblade X soundtrack but they don’t own it.

Studio Trigger got music Hiroyuki Sawano composed for Kill la Kill into Space Patrol Luluco so Sawano doesn’t have a problem with his music appearing in other places.

There's Xenoblade X music in Xenoblade 2
https://www.discogs.com/Hiroyuki-Sawano-Xenoblade-X-Original-Soundtrack/release/9719740

“© by Monolith Soft and Nintendo”
Fair, however I will also point out that everything XCX in Xenoblade 2 is also DLC content, not part of the basegame. So the situation if Elma and XCX content/music was in Smash basegame is still unknown because Xenoblade 2 isn't definitive proof either way except providing Smash-related curiosities of it's own in weird references and implications

edit:
Now that I think about it I think this royalty system is why Elma is paid DLC for Xenoblade 2 as well instead of being included from the get go like KOS-MOS (to be fair KOS-MOS didn’t come with Xenosaga music but still)
Exactly my point, which is probably why XCX is missing from Ultimate in a major capacity to begin with. But throw Smash DLC into the mix...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You joke, but I'd take Byleth over like, half of the big third party characters that get suggested here. :p
I am literally taking every character Sakurai offers right now, from Fire Emblem to Monkey Island.

The Smash team has done such a great job with this game, they should get a good part of my money for that.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo: Lol nope here's another Fire Emblem character instead. Still not enough despite there already being seven!
True, Nintendo's gonna add Byleth along with Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri for absolutely no reason other than personally offend you.

D

Deleted member

In terms of release it wasn't long (April to July) but in terms of announcement it was half a year, or at least close to it. Joker was announced December 6th and Hero and Banjo were announced on June 11th. Comparatively the wait from those two to Terry was only 3 months, and Terry to 5 is shaping up to be the same.

D

Deleted member

Is there a cereal mascot who's also an anime swordsman so literally no one can be happy?

:4pacman:

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
I won’t speak for everybody else, but I’m super interested in what’s coming AFTER FP5. Especially with the “more dlc in development” bomb drop. I need Sakurai or whoever to elaborate on the future after this season pass.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
This is the week, the anniversary of Ultimate's release. If we're getting the reveal this week, it'll likely happen within the next three days, since I don't think Directs (whether they're general, mini, or focused on one game) usually happen on Fridays.

If we don't get any news of an incoming Direct by the end of Tuesday, then it's onward to the Game Awards.

D

Deleted member

This is the week, the anniversary of Ultimate's release. If we're getting the reveal this week, it'll likely happen within the next three days, since I don't think Directs (whether they're general, mini, or focused on one game) usually happen on Fridays.

If we don't get any news of an incoming Direct by the end of Tuesday, then it's onward to the Game Awards.
I think the reveal could be at the Game Awards, but time will tell.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This speculation cycle feels like:

Smash fanbase: "Obviously it's Ryu Hayabusa."
Leakers: "It's not Ryu Hayabusa. "
Smash fanbase: "Obviously it's Crash Bandicoot"
Leakers: "It's not Crash Bandicoot"
Smash fanbase: "Obviously it's Geno."
Leakers: "It's not Geno."
Smash fanbase: "Obviously it's Leon Kennedy."
Nintendo: "It's not Leon Kennedy."
Smash fanbase: "Obviously it's a Capcom character. "
Leakers: "It's not a Capcom character. "
Smash fanbase: "Obviously it's Phoenix Wright."
* Character is something no one predicted.
Smash fanbase: "Called it."
We were right the first time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nintendo: Lol nope here's another Fire Emblem character instead. Still not enough despite there already being seven!
It's almost like the number of characters a series has doesn't matter. Who would've thought?

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I won’t speak for everybody else, but I’m super interested in what’s coming AFTER FP5. Especially with the “more dlc in development” bomb drop. I need Sakurai or whoever to elaborate on the future after this season pass.
I would really like to know what the format is going to be post pass. Is the second round of DLC going to be sold in a pass as well, or will we see a bunch of entirely independent DLC packs? Will there be stages? Music?

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Consider: Mario, Pokemon

"Oh but those are Nintendo's biggest franchises" If FE didn't bring in money and also have a huge cast of characters then there wouldn't be as many characters in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I am cool with Fire Emblem reps in Smash.

Hell, I used to main my boy :ultroy: in Smash 4.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman

I'm still leaning towards The Game Awards having a reveal, but a Direct this week is possible. However, there's a problem: There hasn't been a General Direct on December since December 2013 - back when the Wii U and 3DS were still alive, and we had Rosalina revealed on that day. If anything, maybe we could get a Smash presentation within the next few days, but we'll have to see.
Who needs swords when you can have mother****ing boomerangs?

I'm glad someone else remembers Ty the Tasmanian Tiger! Remembered playing that during my childhood.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Is there a cereal mascot who's also an anime swordsman so literally no one can be happy?

:4pacman:

I'm pretty sure it's already in the game

Does Toon Link count as well or it has to be an animal/fantasy creature?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Xenoblade really needs more reps.
have you even played the games dude

Like, obviously I'm a big Elma supporter but there is literally no reason to throw other series' under the bus based on superficial bull**** when you know nothing about the process as to why a character is added to Smash. Sure, I'd flip my lid if she was somehow fighter 5, but I also understand that she was just surrounded by unfortunate circumstances and that her omission could just be one of those things, same with any potential XC2 rep.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
True, Nintendo's gonna add Byleth along with Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri for absolutely no reason other than personally offend you.
Not going to lie though I would actually like that idea. Being able to switch between Byleth, Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri.

D

Deleted member

You know what would annoy the fandom more than a character who wears a sword at least once?

A character who wears a sword at least once and doesn’t come from a game

Yup, he is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom