• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

I.D.

Smash Lord
So I guess if you think wanting a character based on nothing but their gender is dumb then that makes you alt-right. I really do learn a lot coming to this forum.
Personally I want characters based on nothing but their height. So tired of shorties like Mario and Shulk.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My bold ass prediction: within the next few days Vergeben will say at least one of these things:

- FP5 isn’t from Capcom
- FP5 isn’t from Arc System Works
- FP5 isn’t from Marvelous
- FP5 IS from Nintendo (optionally adds “...but isn’t from Three Houses and/or Astral Chain”)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This speculation cycle feels like:

Smash fanbase: "Obviously it's Ryu Hayabusa."
Leakers: "It's not Ryu Hayabusa. "
Smash fanbase: "Obviously it's Crash Bandicoot"
Leakers: "It's not Crash Bandicoot"
Smash fanbase: "Obviously it's Geno."
Leakers: "It's not Geno."
Smash fanbase: "Obviously it's Leon Kennedy."
Nintendo: "It's not Leon Kennedy."
Smash fanbase: "Obviously it's a Capcom character. "
Leakers: "It's not a Capcom character. "
Smash fanbase: "Obviously it's Phoenix Wright."
* Character is something no one predicted.
Smash fanbase: "Called it."

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
We are still completely in the dark, right? No leads or anything?

If the VGAs started today, we would all be surprised? Just want to make sure before I avoid this website entirely.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My bold ass prediction: within the next few days Vergeben will say at least one of these things:

- FP5 isn’t from Capcom
- FP5 isn’t from Arc System Works
- FP5 isn’t from Marvelous
- FP5 IS from Nintendo (optionally adds “...but isn’t from Three Houses and/or Astral Chain”)
You know what I’m feeling lucky, I’m gonna throw in one more SUPER BOLD WOW prediction of what Vergeben might say:

- FP5 already has a Spirit in the game. BAM.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Leet page!

If the final fighter is a first party, I'm thinking it might actually be Porky, 3H Lord, maybe Bandana Dee or Waluigi/Isaac if the outcry was significant enough. If it's a third party, then... I dunno. The list of seeming frontrunners is basically out in the trash, so... shot in the dark here, thinking....... Reimu?
There are still a decent amount of third parties remaining outside of Reimu.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone, been gone awhile but with the VGAs around the corner I felt like now is a good time to come back and engage in the discourse so I can say that I called it if I was right, or at least revel in the reveal... If indeed it is being revealed at the VGAs.

I'm gonna call Byleth and be incredible presumptuous.

- comes from a big seller for Nintendo
- moved a lot of units
- Nintendo did make the list of characters for the first set of 5
- Three Houses never got additional spirits added in events like Tetris, RE, Sword and Shield and Let's Go
- iirc Greninja was chosen for Smash 4 before it was even really showcased in game and was interpreted from concept art. I see no reason why that couldn't have been done with Byleth, even if Rex was missed
- This isn't so much a reason I think they're included, but it will finally add a female option to the DLC

I won't complain if it's someone else, but I'm about 90% sure Byleth is in as DLC, even if it isn't FP5, maybe as 6 or 7 orwhatever, but I struggle to see them not making it at this point, even if FE is a meme in the Smash community

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hello everyone, been gone awhile but with the VGAs around the corner I felt like now is a good time to come back and engage in the discourse so I can say that I called it if I was right, or at least revel in the reveal... If indeed it is being revealed at the VGAs.

I'm gonna call Byleth and be incredible presumptuous.

- comes from a big seller for Nintendo
- moved a lot of units
- Nintendo did make the list of characters for the first set of 5
- Three Houses never got additional spirits added in events like Tetris, RE, Sword and Shield and Let's Go
- iirc Greninja was chosen for Smash 4 before it was even really showcased in game and was interpreted from concept art. I see no reason why that couldn't have been done with Byleth, even if Rex was missed
- This isn't so much a reason I think they're included, but it will finally add a female option to the DLC

I won't complain if it's someone else, but I'm about 90% sure Byleth is in as DLC, even if it isn't FP5, maybe as 6 or 7 orwhatever, but I struggle to see them not making it at this point, even if FE is a meme in the Smash community
I'm still 50/50 between Byleth and Edelgard. It depends on what angle they'll wanna go for.
I still think the best way would be Byleth with three styles, backed up by a different House Leader on each

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If FP5 is a Nintendo character, I think a lot of people are sleeping on Elma's chances, considering Xenoblade Chronicles X is notably missing from the basegame with maybe 3 Spirits for rep (including Elma herself) but no stage, no music, no really anything.

The lead music producer for XCX, Sawano, has a secret project he worked on last year that nobody knows what it's for yet, and Elma's VA is under NDA for a secret role that nobody knows what it's for yet either. There's reference in the Elma Xenoblade 2 DLC content about everybody "finally being together" (or something of that affect) while Shulk is also there that seems to indicate something of that nature. There's also the mysterious Vifram figure Sakurai bought to use as a character reference during development that nobody has been able to reliably match up to a character in-game but conspicuously would match up to something like Elma's Skell.

We just had GameExplain, who's Nintendo ties are quite known, post a curiously-timed video come out talking about Nintendo 1st-parties and how Spirits may not deconfirm. Everybody jumps to Waluigi, Geno and Isaac, but maybe it's referencing Elma instead?

There was talk recently that Hero was meant for basegame but held back for DLC because it would have been too expensive to pay royalties on every copy of the game because of the music, and the same situation is true for XCX, as Sony Music owns the rights to the soundtrack IIRC. But Sony also just participated in that Smash Tournament a week or two ago.

Elma also was in a prime position during SM4SH to be heavily considered for the DLC promo pick that Corrin ultimately came to be developed for. And just recently in the Elma thread, it was kind of revealed that Xenoblade Chronicles X as a series was cut from the list the same way those Rare games that were found early on were, indicating that XCX was supposed to be something and was removed for some reason.

Anybody with more knowledge (and time) please feel free to expand on and/or correct any misinformation, but otherwise, my own speculation is that with Elma's position timeline wise (XCX being released around the time of SM4SH's release so falling into the "before 2017" timeframe for being included), the Vifram figure, the secret Sawano music project, Elma's VA's NDA project, and the suspicious lack of basically anything XCX-related as well as it appearing like it was supposed to be there and then cut: Elma was intended for basegame but either cut entirely or held back for DLC like Hero because of the music royalties issue. Having her be DLC sidesteps the music royalties by only having a cut of the DLC be taken instead of the entire game. GameExplain's "spirits don't deconfirm!!1!" video is not a reference to someone like Waluigi or Isaac, but instead Elma, and while we keep getting a bunch of 3rd-parties deconfirmed, we're being left with a smaller and smaller pool to work with where a Nintendo 1st-party character seems more likely. And the supposed "Thank You Theory" (that every character in the pass was chosen because of their personal relevance to Sakurai or as a thank you to the company they originate from) also applies because Monolith Soft heavily contributed to the development of the game.

I think, if the final character is a Nintendo character, it's going to be Elma. It cannot be anybody else but Elma. The only thnigs going against her are Reggie's comments last VGA's about 'new worlds that haven't been seen' and the other characters all being 3rd-party (of which Elma, as a Nintendo character from the Xenoblade series that is currently in the game already as a Spirit, is seemingly triple-whammied by). But the GameExplain video is certainly curious nonetheless.

D

Deleted member

Ngl, one of the main reasons I'm getting Three Houses is the fact that people seem to talk a lot about how cool it would be to see any of the characters from the game in Smash.

It all sounds really awesome, and I can't wait to see all of them in action.

D

Deleted member

Ngl, one of the main reasons I'm getting Three Houses is the fact that people seem to talk a lot about how cool it would be to see any of the characters from the game in Smash.

It all sounds really awesome, and I can't wait to see all of them in action.
Which house you choosing first?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If FP5 is a Nintendo character, I think a lot of people are sleeping on Elma's chances, considering Xenoblade Chronicles X is notably missing from the basegame with maybe 3 Spirits for rep (including Elma herself) but no stage, no music, no really anything.

The lead music producer for XCX, Sawano, has a secret project he worked on last year that nobody knows what it's for yet, and Elma's VA is under NDA for a secret role that nobody knows what it's for yet either. There's reference in the Elma Xenoblade 2 DLC content about everybody "finally being together" (or something of that affect) while Shulk is also there that seems to indicate something of that nature. There's also the mysterious Vifram figure Sakurai bought to use as a character reference during development that nobody has been able to reliably match up to a character in-game but conspicuously would match up to something like Elma's Skell.

We just had GameExplain, who's Nintendo ties are quite known, post a curiously-timed video come out talking about Nintendo 1st-parties and how Spirits may not deconfirm. Everybody jumps to Waluigi, Geno and Isaac, but maybe it's referencing Elma instead?

There was talk recently that Hero was meant for basegame but held back for DLC because it would have been too expensive to pay royalties on every copy of the game because of the music, and the same situation is true for XCX, as Sony Music owns the rights to the soundtrack IIRC. But Sony also just participated in that Smash Tournament a week or two ago.

Elma also was in a prime position during SM4SH to be heavily considered for the DLC promo pick that Corrin ultimately came to be developed for. And just recently in the Elma thread, it was kind of revealed that Xenoblade Chronicles X as a series was cut from the list the same way those Rare games that were found early on were, indicating that XCX was supposed to be something and was removed for some reason.

Anybody with more knowledge (and time) please feel free to expand on and/or correct any misinformation, but otherwise, my own speculation is that with Elma's position timeline wise (XCX being released around the time of SM4SH's release so falling into the "before 2017" timeframe for being included), the Vifram figure, the secret Sawano music project, Elma's VA's NDA project, and the suspicious lack of basically anything XCX-related as well as it appearing like it was supposed to be there and then cut: Elma was intended for basegame but either cut entirely or held back for DLC like Hero because of the music royalties issue. Having her be DLC sidesteps the music royalties by only having a cut of the DLC be taken instead of the entire game. GameExplain's "spirits don't deconfirm!!1!" video is not a reference to someone like Waluigi or Isaac, but instead Elma, and while we keep getting a bunch of 3rd-parties deconfirmed, we're being left with a smaller and smaller pool to work with where a Nintendo 1st-party character seems more likely. And the supposed "Thank You Theory" (that every character in the pass was chosen because of their personal relevance to Sakurai or as a thank you to the company they originate from) also applies because Monolith Soft heavily contributed to the development of the game.

I think, if the final character is a Nintendo character, it's going to be Elma. It cannot be anybody else but Elma. The only thnigs going against her are Reggie's comments last VGA's about 'new worlds that haven't been seen' and the other characters all being 3rd-party (of which Elma, as a Nintendo character from the Xenoblade series that is currently in the game already as a Spirit, is seemingly triple-whammied by). But the GameExplain video is certainly curious nonetheless.
I mean... Mira is a new world that hasn’t been seen in Smash... no stage, no music, just the spirits of Elma, Lin, Lao, Tatsu and the one Skell.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Hollow Knight as FP5? I mean, while I didn't like the game too much, that'd be cool, but as the most realistic third party? I'm curious to know who else is in your list
There are many characters from third party franchises, mainly very old games that few people know, that I'd like in Smash but have 0 chance.

-I said this like a week ago I think, I'd like the Villager from Age of Empires as a fighter, able to transfrom into different units depending on the move and to craft turrets and siege weapons on the battlefield similar to how Animal Crossing's Villager crafts the tree. One of the moves would obviously represent the priest, since it's the most iconic and meme unit of the series.

-I love Alleycat, a very old DOS game about a black stray cat that has to go through several trials in order to gain the love of a white cat; the trials consist in going inside a house through the window and cause troubles, such as break some flower pots, eat the fishes of an aquarium, break the cage of a bird and catch it, etc. There is a flying broom that acts as the main antagonist; the broom will throw the cat away on contact, and if it manages to throw the cat out of the window, you have to enter the house again.

-Lucia from Psychic World. It's an obscure action platformer influenced by Megaman and Metroid (mostly Megaman though) released on Sega Game Gear (there are some other versions of the same game called Psycho World on Sega Master System and MSX, the same story but the levels and some in-game events are different); She has psychic powers thanks to an headgear, and is able to shot elemental beams, teleport, fly, and do some other stuff. The main gimmick of the character is a quick menu that allows you to select a different power on the fly, by pressing down + B. Kinda like selecting the different spells with Hero.

-Milon from Milon's Secret Castle (NES) and Do-Re-Mi Fantasy (SNES). An Hudson character, probably owned by Konami now. The original NES game was considered as one of the worst games ever made thanks to some influencing from an old Angry Video Game Nerd video, though I think it's not that bad, and I have a lot of fun exploring the castle trying to find how to unlock the next door. The SNES game is Japan only, and he also got a puzzle game on DS where all the characters were redesigned in a cute stylized style.

-Parin from the game Gurumin (PC, PSP and 3DS). Chibi anime girl character, though she's very funny and cool, and her fighting style has a lot of Smash moveset potential. Her weapon is a drill staff. She's very acrobatic and the drill has a level-up system that increases the level when you play well and do combos, while it decreases the level when you get hit. The level of the drill influences the look of it, and allows you to execute more powerful versions of some moves. The original game also had a rhythm based gimmick to manage the critical hits, though it was poorly designed and it was removed(?) in the PSP and 3DS ports (it's probably still in the game but there is no visible indicator); if you attack following the rhythm of the soundtrack, your attacks are critical.
Ironically, she has been deconfirmed, since Gurumin is a game from Falcom, and Falcom has been deconfirmed.

-Ax Battler from Golden Axe... but based on the game Ax Battler, a Zelda II clone released on Sega Game Gear. The game features some gyms where you can learn several skills, and when you learn all the skills, the moveset of the character becomes so complex that it almost fits the standard layout of the Smash movesets. It's a "barbarian"-like warrior with an heavy longsword. Differently from Ike (speaking of longsword wielders), he's more wild, and uses the sword in a different way than how Fire Emblem characters do; he also has some magic spells which involve the use of some vases to cause explosions.

...and some others (including a Re-Volt RC car); I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting someone.
EDIT: Alright I forgot worm from the Worms series.
EDIT2: I also had my Thouhou period, and I wouldn't mind a Thouhou character in Smash, though I prefer Marisa over Reimu, probably because I was more into the Marisa parody platformers than the main series games (Super Marisa World, Super Marisa Land and New Super Marisa Land).
There are more characters but I can't remember all of them right now, because I don't really have an actual list.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Elma would be cool but I'm still of the opinion that Xenoblade Chronicles X simply got the shaft in terms of content. I also don't think she's a great choice to reveal at a western event like The Game Awards seeing as how Xenoblade is a really niche series that is only just now starting to pick up in popularity, and even that's just among the Nintendo crowd really.

I'd love to be wrong about this, tho.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Elma would be cool but I'm still of the opinion that Xenoblade Chronicles X simply got the shaft in terms of content. I also don't think she's a great choice to reveal at a western event like The Game Awards seeing as how Xenoblade is a really niche series that is only just now starting to pick up in popularity, and even that's just among the Nintendo crowd really.

We'll see, tho.
I mean

didn’t X get nominated at TGA 2016? Granted it didn’t win but still

BlackInk

Smash Lord

I'd love to be wrong about this, tho.
What the hell isn’t niche about the fighter’s pass?

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Y'know, it just hit me, but does anyone else think that there might be two reveals at the VGAs (again if there is one) for both FP5 and a reveal of a potential Fighter's Pass 2?

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Y'know, it just hit me, but does anyone else think that there might be two reveals at the VGAs (again if there is one) for both FP5 and a reveal of a potential Fighter's Pass 2?
I think there are two reveals as well.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Personally I want characters based on nothing but their height. So tired of shorties like Mario and Shulk.
Shulk is actually above average in this game, about 178cm; taller than Ryu, Ken, Hero, Cloud, joker, and every Fire Emblem character except Ike and Roy,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom