• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So what, am I truly worse than any other Smash fan? I'm pathetic. I'm stubborn. I'm a sorry ass *****. Every time you people call me out, it's like I did any offense in this forum.
You're not the worst Smash fan I've run into, but you're definitely unpleasant to interact with at times.

Calling yourself pathetic, stubborn, and a "sorry ass *****" isn't going to do much for yourself other than reinforce that self-image. We're not calling you that. You are.

Don't necessarily get that third bit, but I'll take it as "it's like I did all offenses on this forum," to which I say you're preaching to the choir. Whenever people get on my ass I can feel like I'm the root of all evil, but that's not true, and saying it out loud is nothing more than a bad attempt to get sympathy.

What it comes down to is whether or not you're willing to change. If you're going to remain stuck in your ways then this is going to happen again, and I'd honestly say it'd be better for you to find a different community where you won't fight with others as often. But if you're willing to put in the effort to change and stop putting so much stake into speculation and gatekeeping discussion here then I don't see any problem with you staying.

It's your choice.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'll be honest, I'm one of the person in one of Sabi's "private chat" and I can tell you that I have no ****ing idea what the hell you're talking about here.

Never Sabi ever enjoyed the idea that they knew Fighter 5. At best, we heard names that were circling around inside of NoA....and lots of them are BS.

If you knew the numbers of Rumour we hear, you'd be surprised to see. Fatman just speak too much on it, and even though it's not Even Everything stupid we hear.
Don't worry, none of it really matters if Sabi is unconcerned with public perception...

I mean hey, she'll always have the Geno thread.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just let my emotions do the talking sometimes. It's my problem that I have been dealing with, and I let it seep into this forum.
If you are aware of your problem, then don't react so negatively when people point it out.

And, you know, some people have given some pretty great advice. I know you want to participate, but maybe listen instead of just talking? You might learn something helpful.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
A like and no response.

*sigh*
I know the feeling. Can't even get two words of, "I'm sorry", after being implied that I'm sexist just due to some off hand comment on the Mii costume leak being excited that getting B&K followed by my 2 other most wanted (Doomslayer and Geno) *potentially* making it in. Just a like. Oh well.

Back on topic, I'm still leaning into Sora as the last choice since finding out Disney own's the rights (preventing two SE characters in the same pass) and that it would be quite the finale to end the entire Ultimate DLC on as it was intended when they first drafted out the list. While it sucks so many characters and companies have been deconfirmed, it does make the reveal a little more thrilling IMO.

D

Deleted member

@ryumo the Zekenator @Bolderousness Hinata Hinata Lamperouge Lamperouge

I understand you all, but I'm just gonna walk out the door if everything here will only be worse when I'm around.

I know I've been a big jerk who wouldn't accept getting myself called out, but...I let my emotions cloud my judgment. I've been fighting for an opinion that literally no one will accept. I've ruined everyone's fun, criticizing their choices and telling them that my opinions were better, but in fact, I came off as a jerk who only cared about her personal bubble and not accept everyone else's opinion. Everyone in the Geno thread hates me, everyone in the Doom thread hates me, and just...all of you ****ing hate me. All for my simple opinion of female characters.

I don't know what to do anymore. What else do I have left? I'm done. I'm just...done.
Here is the thing, I agree that no female characters so far(aside from Kazooie which is part of a character) is quite one of the most disappointing aspects of the game as diversity is always nice to have. But at the same time, the type of game Smash is involves crossovers with multiple franchises and so a lot of characters that are likely are male. Are people in the wrong for wanting characters they like, not really, its just a thing that the industry needs to work on improving not only for Smash but for gaming in general.

I can tell you that PW is a character that while I like, he is far from my favorite character (I got a lot of characters I like in the game already) and even if I don't care too much about the character getting in the game its nice to see his fans happy about getting a character they like. Smash is not the end of it all despite what many fanbases here believe and taking the game so seriously is something silly, as just like being a devout sports fan doesn't guarantee your team winning, being super devout of your pick doesn't guarantee it from happening either. But on the plus side, you can learn about new franchises as well.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Daily reminder that at the end of the day, Smash Bros is just a game and that taking game speculation too seriously is kinda unhealthy

D

Deleted member

What it comes down to is whether or not you're willing to change. If you're going to remain stuck in your ways then this is going to happen again, and I'd honestly say it'd be better for you to find a different community where you won't fight with others as often. But if you're willing to put in the effort to change and stop putting so much stake into speculation and gatekeeping discussion here then I don't see any problem with you staying.
Sigh. It's just...I'm a bad girl. I never end the day positively, and I don't get what I want.

I am trying to change. But every time I do, it's just...difficult to do so. I find it hard. Really hard.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So what, am I truly worse than any other Smash fan? I'm pathetic. I'm stubborn. I'm a sorry ass *****. Every time you people call me out, it's like I did any offense in this forum.
Memoryman exists, so you can't be the worst Smash fan. You're passionate, but you're by no means bad.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Daily reminder that at the end of the day, Smash Bros is just a game and that taking game speculation too seriously is kinda unhealthy
**** you if sakurai doesn't add who i want he clearly hates me personally and i should respond in kind by flying to japan and spitting in his face

D

Deleted member

**** you if sakurai doesn't add who i want he clearly hates me personally and i should respond in kind by flying to japan and spitting in his face
Imagine not walking up to Sakurai slowly and down-smashing.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I read "spitting" as "****ting". That's how dirty my mind is.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Phoenix Wright was my most wanted third-party character after a Dragon Quest character, so if Phoenix is in, I'll be extremely happy, especially since Phoenix doesn't have any female alts to leave out like with The Hero meaning on that front they can't really **** him up. If Phoenix does have any alternate costumes they will either be his Dual Destinies / Spirit of Justice outfit with the waistcoat or his Apollo Justice outfit where he doesn't shave and he dresses like he doesn't take care of himself.

Ace Attorney also has the benefit of having a huge female audience meaning that, if we truly don't get any fully female characters in the Fighter's Pass (which is looking very, very likely right about now), then getting an Ace Attorney character is the next best thing. Seriously, just look at all the women in this thread getting as excited as I am at the possibility of Phoenix making it in.

That said, part of me kind of hopes Phoenix isn't Fighter Pack 5, because Sakurai said no one in the Fighter's Pass will be an Echo Fighter. This puts my true dream of being able to play as Miles Edgeworth (I'll take Apollo Justice himself, as well) farther out of reach, ironically. I can absolutely deal with no Edgeworth though because Phoenix Wright is very hype by himself, just that Edgeworth would literally make me scream, something not even The Hero was able to do (though despite my misgivings with the absent female alts, I still very much love playing as The Hero and am currently trying to main them).

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sigh. It's just...I'm a bad girl. I never end the day positively, and I don't get what I want.
Why is that? Is it something you can change in your life, like a perspective, or something you can work towards changing? If not, how can you either distance yourself from it or learn to cope with it in a healthy way?

Will you be an actor in your environment, or will you let yourself be acted on?
I am trying to change. But every time I do, it's just...difficult to do so. I find it hard. Really hard.
Change IS difficult. As someone who's gone through a lot of change in his life, I can testify to that. It requires effort and it's uncomfortable and it takes time. You try something, you fail, and you get knocked down. And then you're expected to get back up and do it again. And that's difficult.

But do you want to be better? Because you can either stick to your ways and end up breeding more animosity towards yourself or you can keep putting in effort to change until you find something that works. And that'll take time.

I certainly know my answer to that question, but it's ultimately your decision.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Old quote of mine but somewhat relevant.

When it comes to character speculation, I think it's better to just hear out whatever reasons people have for thinking why a character has a shot than it is to intervene and go, "Oh, but this character is more likely because..." and so on. It's not a competition. This was all decided long ago. Obviously, people have wants and we all want to try to figure stuff out, but gatekeeping and made up rules and stuff get ridiculous at times. I think it's time the community starts celebrating videogames as a whole.
For the most part, I post what characters I like, why I think they're neat, what songs I'd like to get, and why I think they would be picked if it happened. Aside from that, I'll drop a little bit of knowledge. And of course I'm here for other suggestions; especially ones I didn't think of. When I'm off topic, it's an occasional joke or two; nothing that'll derail the conversation. Whatever happens has already been decided. Some people are going to be lucky; others not so much. The game is fantastic, however. We should celebrate that. It has faults? Yes. Sure, it might not be exactly what you want, but such is life.

Now... IDK why some folks get all defensive when a character is brought into the speculation cycle. That doesn't make them any more or less likely. And if it doesn't happen, please don't set yourself up for disappointment.

Tl;dr: Let's celebrate videogames. And try to be more understanding and supportive of one another. I kinda just... avoid drama or w/e. But yeah... What happened?

More on topic, I'm glad that Jane is being brought up again. The future of Echoes seem likely eventually, IMO. I think Sumi would be dope and she still seems likely.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Don't worry, none of it really matters if Sabi is unconcerned with public perception...

I mean hey, she'll always have the Geno thread.
The Geno thread is another beast I rather not tackle. A joke and shadow of it former self lmao

D

Deleted member

We're all trying to change and strive for what we want.
Look...I'm so- I don't know if you will forgive me anymore. I'm far from redeeming myself. But yeah. And honestly, I don't know if change will help me. I'm far from it.

But do you want to be better? Because you can either stick to your ways and end up breeding more animosity towards yourself or you can keep putting in effort to change until you find something that works. And that'll take time
I-It's just...lacking female DLC is a missed oppurtunity. And I don't want Smash to have a simple missed opprtunity as this. I know that Smash is far from being the most perfect game and it does have missed oppurtunities, but...the minute things are a big deal to me. And I know my problem with making big deals out of small things.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You're not the worst Smash fan I've run into, but you're definitely unpleasant to interact with at times.

Calling yourself pathetic, stubborn, and a "sorry ass *****" isn't going to do much for yourself other than reinforce that self-image. We're not calling you that. You are.

Don't necessarily get that third bit, but I'll take it as "it's like I did all offenses on this forum," to which I say you're preaching to the choir. Whenever people get on my ass I can feel like I'm the root of all evil, but that's not true, and saying it out loud is nothing more than a bad attempt to get sympathy.

It's your choice.
Memoryman exists, so you can't be the worst Smash fan. You're passionate, but you're by no means bad.
I mean, people overcompensate with histrionic self-pity so others will shift from negative to positive reinforcement. "No, you're not the worst", "You're not that bad", etc. etc. She does this often in the face of criticism. I know other people who do as well. It's usually a defence mechanism.

It diffuses the situation but mitigates the actual message being imparted onto her because the focus has shifted.

D

Deleted member

I mean, people overcompensate with histrionic self-pity so others will shift from negative to positive reinforcement. "No, you're not the worst", "You're not that bad", etc. etc. She does this often in the face of criticism. I know other people who do as well. It's usually a defence mechanism.

It diffuses the situation but mitigates the actual message being imparted onto her because the focus has shifted.
Y'know, I'm just someone who grew up seeing the most negative parts of the world, and fate has never been knid to me.

I'm not doing this as self-defense. That is honestly how I feel. I interpret all criticism as negative to me.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
wow
what a way to kill almost all of my most wanted lmao
I just woke up to this s**t
At least there's more DLC coming...
I hope to god it's Phoenix and not Sora

osby

Smash Obsessed
The Geno thread is another beast I rather not tackle. A joke and shadow of it former self lmao
Last time I checked, it was more like someone's personal speculation/leak thread and everyone was just going along with it.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Before I head to bed I want to say that it's been a wild ride throughout the current speculation cycle so far in regards to figuring out who the next character is. Many of the characters we thought we frontrunners ended up being incorrect, and there's a good chance our next character is a dark horse that hasn't been talked about too much. We went from talking about that one 4chan post that had Jonesey and it escalated into a messy discussion, to talking about the CacoMallow hats that lasted for days, to talking about Gordon Freeman of all characters, to the mass exodus of characters and companies, to... whatever the **** that twitter account was (let's not go further into it please) and now we've seen the biggest deconfirmation in Bandai-Namco, which created shockwaves among speculation. I have a feeling that we'll see a continuation of the exodus within the next few days and leading up to either the 1 year anniversary or The Game Awards, and it'll likely become even more of a rollercoaster the closer we get to the reveal.

Speculation is fun because of the crazy possibilities we could see in this game, and there's also a ton of meme potential too. I mean, what's not to like about a match between Phoenix Wright and Kazuma Kiryu?

D

Deleted member

Look...I'm so- I don't know if you will forgive me anymore. I'm far from redeeming myself. But yeah. And honestly, I don't know if change will help me. I'm far from it.
Forgiveness is not the thing you should be worrying about right now. If you have issues, those are more important and you should get to solving them right now.

B-b-but I won't live to see the end of your tale on Smashboards when Sora is confirmed!
Dude, just read the manga.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
wow
what a way to kill almost all of my most wanted lmao
I just woke up to this s**t
At least there's more DLC coming...
I hope to god it's Phoenix and not Sora
Your signature is too depressing now. Spyro's the only survivor there if we believe everything so far.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Because you can either stick to your ways and end up breeding more animosity towards yourself or you can keep putting in effort to change until you find something that works. And that'll take time.
Ugh. I know this downward spiral all too well. The weight of all I want to achieve for myself crushes me, then motivates me to do better, and then the motivation gives way to fear, bewilderment, and laziness, causing that weight to increase.

D

Deleted member

Last time I checked, it was more like someone's personal speculation/leak thread and everyone was just going along with it.
Eh? What happened? I'd like to know...just in case the same thing happens here and I'd want to...try and know how much of a monster I would have become.

D

Deleted member

Last post regarding the topic as I'm also guilty of dragging it a bit.
Any attempt to peacefully communicate is usually buried under like 5 other people who want an immediate solution. Even when the post isn't buried, like when Tehponycorn gave a huge speech offering Lesley solutions on how to channel her wants into something more positive and healthy, we didn't see any signs of change. I've tried talking privately to hear them out, but it didn't change anything. I've tried ignoring, but it's hard to ignore the thread responding to an invisible user I know who exactly it is.

At this point, it'll continue unless everybody takes action, the mods takes action, or Lesley takes action. Or we can just keep having the same ol' debates over and over again. Who knows? I'll go back to ignoring posts now.
Here is the thing, we can always improve. Not only Lesley (although probably she is the one that needs to do big steps) but also a lot of us, improving is also one of the aspects we need to do when being in a community. Improving our ways to deal with people that might be an issue would be a good step forward, even if it involves ignoring.
Passion leads to me doing things that cloud my judgment. How sour.

On the plus side, that happened with Persona. Back when I didn't take this female want of mine seriously.
And that's the thing, just try seeing speculation now as you saw during the beginning. Maybe the game will introduce you to a franchise you would really like just like Persona. They might also have fun female characters that you might like. Also if you are interested female characters, you could try, find and play a few games with them as they can lead you to new games to play.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I-It's just...lacking female DLC is a missed oppurtunity. And I don't want Smash to have a simple missed opprtunity as this. I know that Smash is far from being the most perfect game and it does have missed oppurtunities, but...the minute things are a big deal to me. And I know my problem with making big deals out of small things.
We can still get girls after FP5, no need to get so worked up over it.

Speculation is fun because of the crazy possibilities we could see in this game, and there's also a ton of meme potential too. I mean, what's not to like about a match between Phoenix Wright and Kazuma Kiryu?
It's only a matter of time before Smash fans starts to complain about too many Japanese men in suits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom