• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackghost

Smash Champion
asrtral chain as a post pass is something i'd love but im not going to assume people here have played the game to understand why it may not happen.

in order to make an astral chain rep close to the source material as an in-game representation would be the hardest character ever attempted in smash from a design perspective. In astral chain you are linked to an AI control partner that you basically indirectly control through cues and team attacks. Unlike ice climbers or luma the partner character in game functions on its own AI and be summoned or despawned by the player and brought out as a resource. In the actual game of astral chain you work with the partner more like a dance partner than a puppetmaster. Representing this in smash would be incredibly difficult but unique.

Sakurai does like to flex and show how good a dev he is (serious PP, game and watch, and ROB are proof of this). If the game interests him i expect it to show up post pass but at the same time we may learn down the line he wanted to do it but couldn't figure out how to do it.

D

Deleted member

And that's the thing, just try seeing speculation now as you saw during the beginning. Maybe the game will introduce you to a franchise you would really like just like Persona. They might also have fun female characters that you might like. Also if you are interested female characters, you could try, find and play a few games with them as they can lead you to new games to play.
Yeah...but everything went down the drain once Hero and BK were announced. Now I'm just a feminist clouded by her own ideals. Disappointing.

Forgiveness is not the thing you should be worrying about right now. If you have issues, those are more important and you should get to solving them right now.
Because I don't know. I just...don't know.

We can still get girls after FP5, no need to get so worked up over it.
I'm tired of saying this a bajillion times, and don't feel the need to say it again after everything.

D

Deleted member

Here is the thing, we can always improve. Not only Lesley (although probably she is the one that needs to do big steps) but also a lot of us, improving is also one of the aspects we need to do when being in a community. Improving our ways to deal with people that might be an issue would be a good step forward, even if it involves ignoring.
God damn it. I hate when I have to go listen to Man In The Mirror again.

"I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you want to make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change"

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Look...I'm so- I don't know if you will forgive me anymore. I'm far from redeeming myself. But yeah. And honestly, I don't know if change will help me. I'm far from it..
Sometimes forgiveness is beyond our reach. Doesn't mean you shouldn't still put in the effort to make amends.

You don't know if change will help you, but then consider this: would it be better than how things are right now? Even marginally so?
I-It's just...lacking female DLC is a missed oppurtunity. And I don't want Smash to have a simple missed opprtunity as this. I know that Smash is far from being the most perfect game and it does have missed oppurtunities, but...the minute things are a big deal to me. And I know my problem with making big deals out of small things.
A missed opportunity for the game, maybe. But I don't see what this has to do with you.

And I'd say, from my perspective as Armchair Psychology Studenttm tehponycorn, would say is your largest problem. You put too much stake into Smash Bros. and Smash speculation. At the end of the day this is a game, and there's a wide world out there for you to take part in. I've already spoken to you about this before:
There are so many more things to life than Smash Bros., and while I understand its importance to you in your life, surely there are other, more productive uses of your time and energy than raging at people on the internet because they don't necessarily support female characters. Join an organization that advocates for feminism or gender equality or volunteer at a shelter for survivors of domestic abuse or a similar place, shadow or intern with a local politician who supports gender equality and get involved in the politics of it all. There is so much for you to do and by putting so much time in here you are neglecting all the other amazing things you could be doing. And in seeking out like-minded peers who care about the same issues as you do, you can create connections and be understood by someone. I know that's how it's worked for me.
When I think of a missed opportunity, I think of giving up on a girl who I could've been in an amazing relationship before I got together with my now-ex, who ****ed up my life. I think of giving up work at a suicide hotline for a musical and a set of friends who hated me. I think of botching an interview for an exclusive leadership program at my school and getting waitlisted. I don't think of a character not getting into Smash Bros.

I understand different folks have different priorities, but there's much so more to this life than Smash Bros.

I hope you come to realize this, because as things are right now I don't believe you do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A missed opportunity for the game, maybe. But I don't see what this has to do with you.
It's...more personal than anything. I just...don't feel like sharing it. But in all seriousness, it's because I really want to buy the DLC but it doesn't help this one small thing I had with my desire.

I don't think of a character not getting into Smash Bros.

I understand different folks have different priorities, but there's much so more to this life than Smash Bros.

I hope you come to realize this, because as things are right now I don't believe you do.
I...don't know. I know and realize everything. It's just...hard to accept.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Y'know, I'm just someone who grew up seeing the most negative parts of the world, and fate has never been knid to me.
And yet a video game makes you this upset.

Despite all your supposed perspective, I'd consider stepping back for a bit and trying to get a bit more perspective.

I'm not doing this as self-defense. That is honestly how I feel. I interpret all criticism as negative to me.
Often defence mechanisms aren't consciously employed.

I mean I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're being genuine with all this. Because it's also attention-seeking behaviour. But I'll take you at face value. I hope you can do the same for me, and other people trying to help.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It's...more personal than anything. I just...don't feel like sharing it. But in all seriousness, it's because I really want to buy the DLC but it doesn't help this one small thing I had with my desire.

If you've got your personal reasons then I respect that. Regardless, we've all got our own personal stake in speculation, some more than others, which doesn't excuse the gatekeeping. Buying the DLC is your choice, and if you don't want to support the lack of a female character, voting with your wallet is a viable, peaceful strategy. It's what I'm personally doing with Sword and Shield, so I respect that.

It's okay if you don't know. You get asked these hard questions and its difficult to come up with an answer to them. Based off of what you're saying though, it seems like you do know the answer. So then, what will you do?

The decision is yours'.
Often defence mechanisms aren't consciously employed.
Can confirm defense mechanisms aren't consciously employed.

I got pretty good at emotional manipulation, specifically garnering pity, because that's how I legitimately reacted to conflict. It took a lot to realize that and learn how to better cope with conflict going forward.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Accepting that things in life won't always turn out the way you want them to is a major part of being a grown-up.

D

Deleted member

Because I don't know. I just...don't know.
You wanna change but you don't know how. That's the worst feeling.

Well let's say I had a goal. I wanna do well in school. Now that's vague, so I have to make it into something that is measurable via numbers. Let's say I had to pass all my classes with an A--which means scoring 90 or higher in them. That is my established goal.

Now I'm not a good studier in the slightest and I need to do that to keep my grades up, so what do I do? First I would gather info. How to study, how to motivate myself, how to construct your schedule. Reddit and Quora are actually very useful for this. You can look up a question and people will give answers based on their own experience. Then I would take some time to establish preparations. I would buy supplies, go find tutors and know when office hours are, and get an idea of your class schedule by walking to classes.

What you want to be wary of are immediate consequences. We're humanly designed to fear what's going to happen to us today instead of what will happen tomorrow or in four weeks. I tried donating money to charity every time I missed studying for a class, and that spurred me to work for a while. I also got friends who studied with me. They call me out if I go on my phone and I do the same, which helps our productivity. And the last part is all on you: You either make it or you don't, but you gotta try.

So to break that wall of text down, if you want to do something:
  1. Define your goal numerically.
  2. Gather info from experienced outlets.
    1. IE: Reddit, a friend, YouTube, word of mouth
  3. Lay down a list of rules and familiarize yourself with them. Make sure you clearly define what you need to get done and avoid for the day.
  4. Familiarize yourself with resources in case you get stuck. If you have friends or mentors, you can and should verify with them first before tackling an issue you're unfamiliar with.
  5. Get to working on it.
  6. Bonus Step: If you **** up once, that is not an excuse to ditch your goal. Failure is common, but trying is what will set you apart from the people who will never change.
If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
This is gonna be a long week, and not just because I can't get the Ravens vs 49ers game on TV tomorrow and thus I have to either find it on a streaming site or go back to watching the Red Zone... Anything is better than watching the local Ohio NFL teams (Bengals are still winless despite not even trying to tank and the Browns are still the Browns)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The Geno thread is all right, but a lot of people get waaaaay too defensive when they overhear someone in another thread say something close to, "Geno never really made sense to me."

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So this is how the Smashboards Newcomer Thread became a self-help forum

Not that I mind, if we can do something positive for someone while bantering about funny guy for game, then that's really cool.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
The Geno thread is alright imo, and most users in there are nice, but yeah sometimes it ain’t very comfortable.
lol, I was close to leaving the site over it. I just wish it didn't become a secondary general speculation thread in its own bubble, and the only reason I'm comfortable saying that is because the people I'm referring to will never see this post because they don't leave that thread.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm a bit sad but i'm just taking a break from speculation. Not worth the hassle. Either way I hope Vergeben is wrong.
Same thing happened with the Terry leak. Was more of the Nakoruru person back then, but Terry deserved his spot though. I too would have wanted Verge to be wrong but that's about it.

Sorry fam.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I would like to clarify that Verge is only talking about Fighter #5, not the entirety of DLC.

Seriously, some of y'all are down in the dumps for no good reason. You've got Fighter #6 and onward.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So this is how the Smashboards Newcomer Thread became a self-help forum

Not that I mind, if we can do something positive for someone while bantering about funny guy for game, then that's really cool.
Dr. Phil was FP5 all along.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I haven't really participated in the Geno thread in weeks. I remember one time there were a TON of posts when the CacoMallow stuff was going around and I woke up to ~9 additional pages. While it is alright and there are good people there, it does get awkward at times.
Dr. Phil was FP5 all along.
Bout time! This would make him the first canonical former collegiate American football player to join the Smash roster, believe it or not.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Was there ever any doubt?

Looks like he’s giving the invitation to someone instead. As if the person he’s giving it to was a guest on his show, perhaps trying to get over the stress of not being in Smash. When they finally accepted that they won’t be in, Dr. Phil surprises them with the invitation.

Wonder who that could be?

Goombaic

Smash Ace
First-party wise, I feel like people are really sleeping on Sword and Shield in general. I know Three Houses and Astral Chain are more popular because they never got spirit events, but Sword and Shield's event had a minimal amount of Pokemon. Sure, it killed the possibility of a Zacian/Zamazenta duo, another Pokemon trainer with Galar's starters instead, and I guess Marnie as well since she would've brought a Morpeko with her, but aside from that?

All the fully evolved starters are viable and many of Galar's Pokemon already have sizable fanbases, even the controversial ones like Eiscue. The Pokedex rivals Alola in terms of potential fighters. I can see Toxtricity, Grimmsnarl, Hatterene, Dragapult, Obstagoon, and plenty more working as Smash characters.

Don't give up on SwSh yet, guys. There's still a lot they can do since only 7 Pokemon were used in the Spirit event.

In other news, operation distract everyone with an absurdly huge roster failed. I'll get them next time.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I would like to clarify that Verge is only talking about Fighter #5, not the entirety of DLC.

Seriously, some of y'all are down in the dumps for no good reason. You've got Fighter #6 and onward.
Post pass feels so nebulous right now, but I can’t wait to speculate for some new characters. The Uncertainty of the number of the post pass fighters is driving me crazy.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
First-party wise, I feel like people are really sleeping on Sword and Shield in general. I know Three Houses and Astral Chain are more popular because they never got spirit events, but Sword and Shield's event had a minimal amount of Pokemon. Sure, it killed the possibility of a Zacian/Zamazenta duo, another Pokemon trainer with Galar's starters instead, and I guess Marnie as well since she would've brought a Morpeko with her, but aside from that?
I feel like that's pretty on brand for Sw&Sh though.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Fighter 5 will be the Trojan Caterpillar Pokémon from Sword&Shield.

It could also be Dracovish. My totally-not-made-up source wasn’t sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom