• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Am...Am I the only one who loves how BK were designed?

I'm one of the people who clamored for 20 years for them to make it into Smash because I loved their games. And the second I hopped into Training with them for the first time, it sincerely felt like some sort of homecoming because I immediately knew how to perform a majority of their moves. That sort of raw N64 accuracy is what makes Banjo fans/mains so damn happy about their inclusion.

And after practicing with them for a long stretch of time, yeah, I learned combos and were able to zero-to-kill opponents who technically have a better kit.

I'll say this, though: If we finally did get Banjo after all this time and they played nothing like they did in their original games just for the sake of a more competitive-friendly moveset, I would be infinitely more disappointed. I wanted Banjo, I got Banjo, and I'm still elated about it. I dunno what other BK fans are complaining about, to be honest...
I also adore how they play, the simpler movesets feel more complete to me and they play exactly the way they should.
Woke up to discover 10 pages of back and forth over representation competency.

Seems like a slow day on Smashboards today lol.
If my experience is any indication, people are popping up more frequently because they're looking for the disconfirmation of the day, and then are struggling to find what to talk about, so they're more liable to humor trolls that popped up recently.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Oh god, please. I just remembered how painful it was to watch last years' VGA. More than games it felt like a gigantic ad to Streamers and Youtubers and I can't count how almost every game premiere was a boring and extremely slow "cinematic" intro but absolutely no gameplay.
Please Sakurai. Save us from that torture this year.
what do you mean you don't want to watch geoff keighley foam at the mouth about death stranding for 5 hours

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Y'all know you don't actually have to watch the Game Awards, right? Trailers are uploaded to YouTube.

Douglas J. Walker 94

Banned via Warnings
I hope it's a special anniversary direct instead of Game Awards for FP5 and post pass details. Mainly because it'll be earlier and I won't have to suffer watching the cringe from the VGAs just to get to the reveal if there is one.
You mean like another Smash Bros Ultimate Direct that talks about so much upcoming stuff.

Really wish we could see more Smash Direct's like the ones we had in November as opposed to pointless livesetreams (With Sakurai fliddling around with a character's classic mode for 45 minuets as opposed to showing us what the next update fully contains).

Also Goodgrief741. Doesn't Google just usually put news flashed for certain game announcements after the announcement was made public.

Because you could look up Smash Ultimate news on Google the next day if you don't feel sitting through hours of a single Award show.

Heck. I might just stick around this chat area and talk with you guys about what all is going down as opposed to sitting through an entire award show. That would be more fun.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Waiting until December 12th is way too long, I agree but I get a kick out of watching the Game Awards because of the potential memes and other out there announcements. It's not as great as E3 memes but there's some gold nuggets here and there heh.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
As for me my vote would probably go to Dovahkiin. I think The Elder Scrolls is on equal standings with Doom in regards to who would be the first Bethesda rep, and if Doom is out of the equation then Dovahkiin has a decent chance of being the next fighter.

Why would Bethesda as a whole be out? Cacodemons have never appeared in Skyrim or any other Bethesda game as a cameo, they only appeared in the Doom games. Fighter 5 not being related to the Cacomallow mii hats does not mean Bethesda as a whole is out, it just means Doom is out.
Doom is published by Bethesda. I guarantee you the source wouldn’t have said the mii costumes have nothing to do with Fighter 5 if it was Bethesda character, because Cacodemon is related to Bethesda.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Y'all know you don't actually have to watch the Game Awards, right? Trailers are uploaded to YouTube.
I'm planning on running it in the background while I watch Netflix or play Smash or something. The reveal likely wont be until the end like last year anyways

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Waiting until December 12th is way too long, I agree but I get a kick out of watching the Game Awards because of the potential memes. It's not as great as E3 memes but there's some gold nuggets here and there heh.
I've always just treated the Game Awards as "E3 2". I watch it for any potential announcements (the reveal of both Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Joker in Smash were ones I was really excited to see last year), and anything that doesn't interest me, I just treat as a cue for a bathroom break.

Even if Fighter 5 is revealed earlier, I could still see a reveal of Fighter 6 at the Game Awards, to kick off the next round of DLC like Joker did last year.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
It feels weird to see so many people smitten with Capcom as a whole when there seems to be so little of that for other companies.

Where's all the SNK, Bandai-Namco, Square-Enix, SEGA, and Pachislot enthusiasm? :-(
The thing with Capcom is that they have a whole lot of series that are still relatively active and can still get a game or have their game ported.
-Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright(if you count 3DS alongside this Gen), Mega Man, Strider, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry, Vs. Capcom. All of them had a new release this generation.
-Okami, the Capcom Beat-em Ups like Final Fight in the Beat-em Up Collection, Ghosts'n Goblins, Onimusha, Dragon's Dogma and Breath of Fire have also been ported to the latest Gen consoles as well, so alot of Capcom series are available on the latest gen consoles.
Alongside those, they also have the Vs. Capcom series which is a popular series that also helps make their characters more known. The series is definitely the main source for Morrigan and Strider Hiryu's popularity. And it also helps add awareness for characters like Nathan Radd Spencer from Bionic Commando and Firebrand from Demon's Crest.
Capcom is one of the companies aware of how big their fanbase spreads across their franchises and while they focus on their heavy hitters mainly, like Resident Evil and Street Fighter, when they do give attention to the fanbases from their other games, they do try to give more than just a mere bone.
Heck, it's one of the reason why Monster Hunter has now become so huge in the West and is now one of their heavy hitters now. It was because they listened to the fans in the West regarding Monster Hunter, which resulted in Monster Hunter become more and more popular each game they brought over(with Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and Generations doing better than expected) and then they hit big with Monster Hunter World worldwide.

Regarding other companies:
-I can't speak for SNK since I do not know much about SNK's franchises aside from King of Fighters and Samurai Shodown

-Namco-Bandai do have a good list of characters that are mentioned quite frequently. Heck, besides Pac-Man, when we're talking about Namco reps, we mention a whole lot of them. KOS-MOS from Xenosaga, Heihachi from Tekken, Nightmare from Soul Calibur, Lloyd and Yuri from the Tales Of Series, Chosen Undead/Solaire from Dark Souls, Agumon from Digimon, Klonoa, and I have also seen mentions of Dig Dug, Splatterhouse, Idolmaster, Taiko Master, Ridge Racer and Valkyrie. I think in terms of franchises mentioned, I think Namco's franchises are the 2nd most talked about here than any other company that isn't Capcom.

-Square Enix and Sega have a big issue in not really giving their non-big series attention. When it comes to Square Enix, they tend to focus on Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Just Cause and Tomb Raider. When it comes to Sega, they show off Sonic, Yakuza and Shin Megami Tensei/Persona. Both have plenty of other cool series, but they really don't give them attention compared to their heavy hitters and as such, the other series really suffer in terms of recognition, marketing and whatnot.
It's surprising enough that Arle from Puyo Puyo is talked about considering the only real reason she's talked about is how she was able to get on Smash fan polls due to how supposedly popular she is in Japan. Otherwise, no one really talks about possible reps from other Sega series like Shinobi, Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes, Phantasy Star, the Shining games, etc.
In the case of Square Enix, the only Square rep really talked about that isn't another Final Fantasy rep, Sora or Lara Croft is 2B from Nier Automata due to how shockingly popular that game got. The original Nier was a spin-off of Drakengard that became a cult classic, heck, I don't even think it has been released digitally still, making it a rare game. So I'm really curious on where Nier's popularity will go after Automata.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Yes but if you are not watching it live then you will know who the character is before watching the trailer. Because the internet will be flooded with "X character joins Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" as soon as the announcement airs. I want to watch it live, even if that means suffering all the cringe...

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I hope it's a special anniversary direct instead of Game Awards for FP5 and post pass details. Mainly because it'll be earlier and I won't have to suffer watching the cringe from the VGAs just to get to the reveal if there is one.
Oh god, please. I just remembered how painful it was to watch last years' VGA. More than games it felt like a gigantic ad to Streamers and Youtubers and I can't count how almost every game premiere was a boring and extremely slow "cinematic" intro but absolutely no gameplay.
Watching the Game Awards isn't very fun, but it does open the door for meme potential. Many of us sat through 2-3 hours watching lots and lots of talking before Joker's surprise reveal. I'm already planning on watching the show in case we get a reveal. Even then, we could get our next reveal next week.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
My gut still thinks that FP5 will be 2B. She's a lot like Joker in that her game was universally acclaimed and a reveal at TGA just makes a ton of sense.

Douglas J. Walker 94

Banned via Warnings
The thing with Capcom is that they have a whole lot of series that are still relatively active and can still get a game or have their game ported.
-Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright(if you count 3DS alongside this Gen), Mega Man, Strider, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry, Vs. Capcom. All of them had a new release this generation.
-Okami, the Capcom Beat-em Ups like Final Fight in the Beat-em Up Collection, Ghosts'n Goblins, Onimusha, Dragon's Dogma and Breath of Fire have also been ported to the latest Gen consoles as well, so alot of Capcom series are available on the latest gen consoles.
Alongside those, they also have the Vs. Capcom series which is a popular series that also helps make their characters more known. The series is definitely the main source for Morrigan and Strider Hiryu's popularity. And it also helps add awareness for characters like Nathan Radd Spencer from Bionic Commando and Firebrand from Demon's Crest.
Capcom is one of the companies aware of how big their fanbase spreads across their franchises and while they focus on their heavy hitters mainly, like Resident Evil and Street Fighter, when they do give attention to the fanbases from their other games, they do try to give more than just a mere bone.
Heck, it's one of the reason why Monster Hunter has now become so huge in the West and is now one of their heavy hitters now. It was because they listened to the fans in the West regarding Monster Hunter, which resulted in Monster Hunter become more and more popular each game they brought over(with Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and Generations doing better than expected) and then they hit big with Monster Hunter World worldwide.

Regarding other companies:
-I can't speak for SNK since I do not know much about SNK's franchises aside from King of Fighters and Samurai Shodown

-Namco-Bandai do have a good list of characters that are mentioned quite frequently. Heck, besides Pac-Man, when we're talking about Namco reps, we mention a whole lot of them. KOS-MOS from Xenosaga, Heihachi from Tekken, Nightmare from Soul Calibur, Lloyd and Yuri from the Tales Of Series, Chosen Undead/Solaire from Dark Souls, Agumon from Digimon, Klonoa, and I have also seen mentions of Dig Dug, Splatterhouse, Idolmaster, Taiko Master, Ridge Racer and Valkyrie. I think in terms of franchises mentioned, I think Namco's franchises are the 2nd most talked about here than any other company that isn't Capcom.

-Square Enix and Sega have a big issue in not really giving their non-big series attention. When it comes to Square Enix, they tend to focus on Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Just Cause and Tomb Raider. When it comes to Sega, they show off Sonic, Yakuza and Shin Megami Tensei/Persona. Both have plenty of other cool series, but they really don't give them attention compared to their heavy hitters and as such, the other series really suffer in terms of recognition, marketing and whatnot.
It's surprising enough that Arle from Puyo Puyo is talked about considering the only real reason she's talked about is how she was able to get on Smash fan polls due to how supposedly popular she is in Japan. Otherwise, no one really talks about possible reps from other Sega series like Shinobi, Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes, Phantasy Star, the Shining games, etc.
In the case of Square Enix, the only Square rep really talked about that isn't another Final Fantasy rep, Sora or Lara Croft is 2B from Nier Automata due to how shockingly popular that game got. The original Nier was a spin-off of Drakengard that became a cult classic, heck, I don't even think it has been released digitally still, making it a rare game. So I'm really curious on where Nier's popularity will go after Automata.
Considering the fact that you mentioned Dead Rising in your Capcom sentence.

Frank West would be a nice "Never Saw It Coming" Suprise reveal at the Game Awards (Since everyone is really sleeping on him even though he had a cameo appearance in the Wii versio Of Capcom VS. Tatsunoko)

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
yes but youtube likes to spoil me on the double once i try to wait and find out myself
challenger pack 1: exists for five seconds
gamexplain: SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE - JOKER REVEAL TRAILER

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Best option I think is to go on the Smash reddit since everything will be covered in spoilers. Then again there's still the chance that someone may post something untagged. Oof.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yes but if you are not watching it live then you will know who the character is before watching the trailer. Because the internet will be flooded with "X character joins Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" as soon as the announcement airs. I want to watch it live, even if that means suffering all the cringe...
True but that means you have to get the second hand news from the "[CHARACTER] Joins the Battle!" trailer.

EDIT: Said trailer shows the character in question before you even click on it.
yes but youtube likes to spoil me on the double once i try to wait and find out myself
Well, if the surprise factor is that important that you're willing to spend 4 hours watching a show you don't care about, go ahead, it's your time.

I don't think I'd watch TGA if I didn't care about the awards themselves, personally.

Douglas J. Walker 94

Banned via Warnings
My gut still thinks that FP5 will be 2B. She's a lot like Joker in that her game was universally acclaimed and a reveal at TGA just makes a ton of sense.
Good sir. Isn't 2B owned by Square Enix of all gaming companies???

Because Square Enix already got a fighter in the 1st fighter pass. And I doubt Square (Along with Sega/Atlus, Microsoft, And SNK) will get two reps in one pass.

D

Deleted member

Good sir. Isn't 2B owned by Square Enix of all gaming companies???

Because Square Enix already got a fighter in the 1st fighter pass. And I doubt Square (Along with Sega/Atlus, Microsoft, And SNK) will get two reps in one pass.
Published by Square, developed by PlatiGames. PlatiGames has Bayo in.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
True but that means you have to get the second hand news from the "[CHARACTER] Joins the Battle!" trailer.

EDIT: Said trailer shows the character in question before you even click on it.
As someone who has never watched the VGAs, how far into the awards do the Nintendo announcements generally happen? I imagine it varies but some indication would be nice, I would watch it but I'd also like to know when I'll want to start paying actual attention.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Considering the fact that you mentioned Dead Rising in your Capcom sentence.

Frank West would be a nice "Never Saw It Coming" Suprise reveal at the Game Awards (Since everyone is really sleeping on him even though he had a cameo appearance in the Wii versio Of Capcom VS. Tatsunoko)
Frank West wasn't just a cameo in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom... he was the best playable character in the game, partially because of how out of place he is among the other fighters (similar to Phoenix Wright in UMVC3... which Frank West was also in), and also because they actually ramped up his goofiness to 11.

"REEEEAAAAL... MEGA BUSTER!"

If Frank West in Smash was this goofy, I would gladly welcome him as Ultimate DLC (well, I'd actually welcome him regardless because I love Dead Rising, but a goofy TVC-esque implementation would fit Smash more).

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If not Phoenix, she's my dream come true. The idea of getting all three of my biggest pipe dreams (I don't consider Phoenix a pipe dream, he's more realistic) is completely ****ing nuts. I can't even begin to imagine how I'll react.

Douglas J. Walker 94

Banned via Warnings
Published by Square, developed by PlatiGames. PlatiGames has Bayo in.
Even then. I don't see 2B getting in.

Mainly due to the fact that She did not have a single cameo appearance/had one of her games on a Nintendo console (Unlike The Joker and Cloud who actually did get cameo appearances on some Nintendo handheld consoles before appearing in Smash Ultimate).

Unless you can point on the direction of a Nintendo game 2B had a cameo in.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
As someone who has never watched the VGAs, how far into the awards do the Nintendo announcements generally happen? I imagine it varies but some indication would be nice, I would watch it but I'd also like to know when I'll want to start paying actual attention.
Last year, Nintendo had an announcement as the first one, and near the end.

But every year is different!

inb4 only announcement is Cranky Kong in Animal Crossing.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Even then. I don't see 2B getting in.

Mainly due to the fact that She did not have a single cameo appearance/had one of her games on a Nintendo console (Unlike The Joker and Cloud who actually did get cameo appearances on some Nintendo handheld consoles before appearing in Smash Ultimate).

Unless you can point on the direction of a Nintendo game 2B had a cameo in.
If I recall 2B is an outfit in Phantasy Star Online 2.

Still think we won't get two Square Enix characters in the Pass, but she does have a Nintendo appearance.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
1575155394045.png

Sonicfox: “I’m gay and I’m a furry!”

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, if the surprise factor is that important that you're willing to spend 4 hours watching a show you don't care about, go ahead, it's your time.

I don't think I'd watch TGA if I didn't care about the awards themselves, personally.
Eh. Knowing my schedule I'll probably have someplace I need to be so I'll miss the entire thing anyway. Even if I was able to see it I'd just keep it as background noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom