• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
So regarding color theory (which I know is not very realiable for prediction, but I still wanted to point this out)...

We're assuming they're using the three primary and three secondary colors, yes, but we've also been assuming they're picking them out of the traditional color theory (that's maily taught in elementary school art class and stuff) set of colors, aka the RYB model (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple).

What if they went with the more current and accurate color model (RGB) that includes Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple, adds Cyan, but excludes orange?
I know, forced, but I noticed Terry's "blue" was closer to a shade of Cyan you would expect in RGB, not the "darker" blue you'd find in both RGB and RYB.

Right now we have 4 of the colors that are present in both models (Red, Yellow, Green, Purple), and Cyan (which could maybe pass as "blue" for RYB purposes, but is still different enough to actual blue to allow for a different, darker, blue to also fit in, if we're going by RGB). Just saying, orange doesn't necessarily have to be the last color in order to the theory to "work".

Anyway, it's not like we can really predict anything from this, for all we know, they could just use a white background and interrupt the supposed "primary and secondary" color pattern, or use a dark blue background for a random character that really has nothing to do with said color, but if this does lead to something... be aware i warned you.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If they do put her in, I really hope Sakurai puts in her ability to swap between her weapons mid battle, but if he doesn't it definitely isn't a deal breaker.
They'll probably stick with the Celestial Brush as far as gimmicks go. The Tsumigari and the Devout Beads are likely to make an appearance, but probably as specific normal attacks. Perhaps they'll use Devine Retribution for ground normals, Tsumigari for Smash attacks, and Devout Beads for aerials. I'm happy with whatever they do so long as they don't give the Devout Beads ice powers 'cuz they're not supposed to have any.

We color theory boards now.
I dunno why people entertain it. Who's to say a color won't be repeated?

EDIT: I don't know how the post got so mangled, or if it was the site's error or mine.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
do you think smash 4 dlc falls into color theory

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Why wouldn't they though? I mean, if you put in Mickey Mouse, what's the justification behind not putting in Goku? Or Spider-Man?
Let me give you the definition of the slippery slope fallacy:
When a relatively insignificant first event is suggested to lead to a more significant event, which in turn leads to a more significant event, and so on, until some ultimate, significant event is reached, where the connection of each event is not only unwarranted but with each step it becomes more and more improbable.
If the character has influence on gaming, that's what matters. In that case, the field is opened up to a small list of outside characters who have a significant presence in the field of gaming.

Any character outside of that, of which there'd be many, would still be ineligible.

Douglas J. Walker 94

Banned via Warnings
So If Amaterasu got revealed next. Would her background be colored white (That would be a little evidence that point's to her as the 5th fighter since white wasn't represented in the color poster background before).

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I keep expecting a leak to happen any moment for the past few days, I'm shocked at how tight lipped this is.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

If the character has influence on gaming, that's what matters. In that case, the field is opened up to a small list of outside characters who have a significant presence in the field of gaming.

Any character outside of that, of which there'd be many, would still be ineligible.
Yeah, and there's a colossal amount of non-videogame characters with influence in gaming. Again, Mickey Mouse, Spider-Man, Goku, Batman, Popeye, all characters with significant gaming history.

In fact, given that definition, what I'm saying is not a slippery slope, as I'm not suggesting opening up to one would lead to successive characters that are more significant than the last. Just that after opening that door, you're really not leaving much off the table, except for what used to be on it.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So If Amaterasu got revealed next. Would her background be colored white (That would be a little evidence that point's to her as the 5th fighter since white wasn't represented in the color poster background before).
Well she's already mostly white, so I don't know that'll work unless it's a very noticeable off white. Orange also would work for her too.

D

Deleted member

I disagree. After all, the presence of third parties in Brawl spiraled into an even greater presence of third parties in Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate, to where it's been pretty much our entire DLC. Sakurai even joked about this in the Terry direcy by saying, "With Ryu and Terry side by side each other, one could ask 'is this even a Smash Bros game?'"

The same could be said about characters who didn't originate from video games.

Last edited by a moderator:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I keep expecting a leak to happen any moment for the past few days, I'm shocked at how tight lipped this is.
I wonder if anything can be inferred by that. For example, I've heard that Bethesda is VERY leaky. So maybe we can narrow things down by discussing company's track records with leaks?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There's an ugly-Steve type beat going on with some of these fake leaks. They keep trying to shill that it's a FNAF character. I wouldn't care, but the way they boast around it is just annoying.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No. The colors used for the character background fade into the white of the rest of the site's background. It would look too plain. She'd probably get red since that's what color her markings are, as well as Okami's logo.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
It's December! You know what that means...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Another interesting thing to note is that everyone has their own color. They just don't highlight the veterans with it on the fighter lineup page 'cuz they aren't extra purchases (and it could start looking pretty gaudy).

Ex. Meta Knight is dark blue, R.O.B. is grey, Lucario is sky blue, and Lucas is orange.

Last edited:

Douglas J. Walker 94

Banned via Warnings
No. The colors used for the character background fade into the white of the rest of the site's background. It would look too plain. She'd probably get red since that's what color her markings are, as well as Okami's logo.
So if she'd get a red background. And since The Joker's background is red.

That would be the final nail in the color Theory coffin.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That would be the final nail in the color Theory coffin.
Not really, it's like SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy says

Another interesting thing to note is that everyone has their own color. They just don't highlight the veterans with it on the fighter lineup page 'cuz they aren't extra purchases (and it could start looking pretty gaudy).

Ex. Meta Knight is dark blue, R.O.B. is grey, Lucario is sky blue, and Lucas is orange.
It won't be the exact same color. If someone wanted the time, we could all just examine the hex codes of each individual fighter and see just how different it is.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Speaking of color theory, i'm prone to believe there's a very high chance that fighter #5 is from Bandai Namco. Tekken, Soulcalibur, Dark Souls, Xenosaga, the list goes on. Even Digimon has a decent chance (Pikachu and Agumon in the same game would definitely break the internet).
I doubt agumon because he is orange.
Unless Vergeben, Sabi, Or V.R Plant Laker (Papageno's talked about him in some of his leak videos) actually comes out and says Kos-Mos is coming to the game. I don't beleive that Inkleak for a 2nd (Those three I just described are the only leakers I trust).

Also. This might just me. But considering the fact that Xenosaga And Xenoblade take place in the same universe and the fact that Reggie specifically said that the Smash Ultimate newcomers said were going to be new to the series.

As in. The fighter will be from series that aren't represented in Smash yet (I forget how he phrased his statment).

And the fact that Xenosaga doesn't have any new games coming out soon (With only one exception, all the DLC newcomers for Ultimate were thrown in to promote new games).

Kos-Mos seems highly unlikely at this point. Feel free to be at my throat and yell at me for saying this. But I'm only giving my honest opinion on where I stand on Kos-Mos getting Smash Ultimate (I also have a bad feeling they would just make her a Shulk clone with they threw her into Smash Ultimate since she uses a giant lightsaber as well)
When it comes to Kosmos leaks, I’m referring to a leak that accurately leaked Terry, only got his date wrong, and talked about a girl with a mecha, aka the overwatch leak. The second cat leak is considerably a possible continuation of the first cat leak, only if Kosmos is revealed. I’m considering the the overwatch leak potentially more viable because it actually has leaked Terry and mentioned Kosmos.

Xenosaga and Xenoblade doesn’t exactly share the same worlds or technology. Kos mos is in xenoblade 2 as a blade instead of an android, it’s treated as a minor cameo.

Namco is actually still interested in Kosmos and still considers her profitable/popular even when she hasn’t had another game in more than a decade. Their interest in her is much more consistent than how Microsoft views Rare’s properties.

Douglas J. Walker 94

Banned via Warnings
I doubt agumon because he is orange.

When it comes to Kosmos leaks, I’m referring to a leak that accurately leaked Terry, only got his date wrong, and talked about a girl with a mecha, aka the overwatch leak. The second cat leak is considerably a possible continuation of the first cat leak, only if Kosmos is revealed. I’m considering the the overwatch leak potentially more viable because it actually has leaked Terry and mentioned Kosmos.

Xenosaga and Xenoblade doesn’t exactly share the same worlds or technology. Kos mos is in xenoblade 2 as a blade instead of an android, it’s treated as a minor cameo.

Namco is actually still interested in Kosmos and still considers her profitable/popular even when she hasn’t had another game in more than a decade. Their interest in her is much more consistent than how Microsoft views Rare’s properties.
I just hope they at least save her for a future fighter pass. Since she mainly uses sword's (Sakurai would only have the machine guns in her final Smash and that's it).

And we really don't need every single DLC character to be a sword fighter and that's it. Also. Two JRPG reps in the current fighter pass are more than enough.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Not really, it's like SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy says

It won't be the exact same color. If someone wanted the time, we could all just examine the hex codes of each individual fighter and see just how different it is.
With dlc, they’ll probably want the colors with the characters to completely stand out within the group. That might be the reason for their usage of primary and secondary colors.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I just hope they at least save her for a future fighter pass. Since she mainly uses sword's (Sakurai would only have the machine guns in her final Smash and that's it).

And we really don't need every single DLC character to be a sword fighter and that's it. Also. Two JRPG reps in the current fighter pass are more than enough.
Joker doesn’t have a sword and Hero is more special based.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

How many times do you sword haters need to be told, every swordfighter in Smash has COMPLETELY DIFFERENT hitboxes and damage percents on their minimally-varied slashing and stabbing attacks.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I hope it's a special anniversary direct instead of Game Awards for FP5 and post pass details. Mainly because it'll be earlier and I won't have to suffer watching the cringe from the VGAs just to get to the reveal if there is one.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
when people in these threads clamo for nostalgic characters there is way less to pull from to actually make them interesting. for example, it took 4 games for game and watch to be interesting to play. I pull for modern characters because usually Sakurai doesnt have to think of a kit off his head he can just choose what to implement.
Hero represents his series well. randomness is part of all rpg games. just like inputs are part of action and fighting game characters movesets.
I may make some people mad but theres only so much banjo was gonna do. hes a platform character with no new games. If mario had to be designed with only the core platformers being used as reference he'd struggle as well to be fun to play.
Am...Am I the only one who loves how BK were designed?

I'm one of the people who clamored for 20 years for them to make it into Smash because I loved their games. And the second I hopped into Training with them for the first time, it sincerely felt like some sort of homecoming because I immediately knew how to perform a majority of their moves. That sort of raw N64 accuracy is what makes Banjo fans/mains so damn happy about their inclusion.

And after practicing with them for a long stretch of time, yeah, I learned combos and were able to zero-to-kill opponents who technically have a better kit.

I'll say this, though: If we finally did get Banjo after all this time and they played nothing like they did in their original games just for the sake of a more competitive-friendly moveset, I would be infinitely more disappointed. I wanted Banjo, I got Banjo, and I'm still elated about it. I dunno what other BK fans are complaining about, to be honest...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Joker uses a knife. Or is it a dagger?

Certainly ain't a sword, I don't know why thieves would carry medieval swords around unless it's valuable.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Is a breegull a sword?

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Woke up to discover 10 pages of back and forth over representation competency.

Seems like a slow day on Smashboards today lol.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I hope it's a special anniversary direct instead of Game Awards for FP5 and post pass details. Mainly because it'll be earlier and I won't have to suffer watching the cringe from the VGAs just to get to the reveal if there is one.
Oh god, please. I just remembered how painful it was to watch last years' VGA. More than games it felt like a gigantic ad to Streamers and Youtubers and I can't count how almost every game premiere was a boring and extremely slow "cinematic" intro but absolutely no gameplay.
Please Sakurai. Save us from that torture this year.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
scenes when challenger 5 is steve and vergeben was right all along
I'm still sticking to it myself, seriously.

• Sakurai bias (he stated he likes Minecraft),
  • small inside Smash fanbase but big outside (to close the FP, it's logical, since Smash fans already bought the FP for the most, and it can bring new players to buy the base game),
  • Microsoft, a western company, has already been in for negociations thus a good opportunity to continue with them,
  • previous "leaks" during the base game about Minecraft content that never got hardly disconfirmed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom