• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That's literally what people said about third parties being in Smash. Smash was originally a Nintendo All-Stars crossover, then it naturally evolved into a gaming All-Stars crossover. Smash at it's core is a player friendly game that has players knocking others out of the screen, that is what Smash is ever since it's original prototype inception when it was called Dragon King. If non-gaming characters join the roster then Smash will still be Smash.
Nah man at that point you're just doing MUGEN.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Even so, it will lead to the philosophy that anything can get into Smash, and honestly, people will now wonder, "Smash is a celebration of everything pop culture". Nintendo is strict on making this a gaming crossover.
I guess that's a fair point. It might lead down a road which we may not return. in either case, Decades down the road we could see a change in Mindset for Smash

Also honestly I'd be down for official Mugen

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
It feels weird to see so many people smitten with Capcom as a whole when there seems to be so little of that for other companies.

Where's all the SNK, Bandai-Namco, Square-Enix, SEGA, and Pachislot enthusiasm? :-(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

BlackInk is convinced KOSMOS is 100% happening and nobody can convince him they may be wrong, ignore them
Oh I’m guessing it’s from the cat leak his giving her a 100% isn’t it? But man when it gets to the 12th...there will be regrets believing it in here

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I'm just gonna say that the only non video game character that I unironically really want in Smash is Tony Hawk. I dunno, I just think a character that uses skateboarding tricks as attacks would be really fun and we don't really have any other iconic skateboarding characters in gaming. Plus I have a lot of fond memories with the Pro Skater games so I might be biased there. I know it won't and probably should not happen, but if I was allowed only one non-video game character I'm going straight for skamtebord.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
It feels weird to see so many people smitten with Capcom as a whole when there seems to be so little of that for other companies.

Where's all the SNK, Bandai-Namco, Square-Enix, SEGA, and Pachislot enthusiasm? :-(
To be fair, Capcom is a treasure hoard of video game IPs.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
BlackInk is convinced KOSMOS is 100% happening and nobody can convince him they may be wrong, ignore them
So instead of talking like adults and trying to understand each other’s sources or reasons, let’s ignore it.
One big thing about this board is that it’s so focused on the idea of “convincing people” as if it’ll do something indirectly to the game. Does anyone really understand how debates go? It’s rare as **** for either party to change their minds. The reason why I think it’s Kosmos is because the whole situation, leaks, and weird behavior seems to lean into her favor. You can argue against that, but don’t ever ***** about “I can’t change his mind, so everything is pointless!” The stuff about Namco’s lacking mii costumes, how Nintendo handles dlc, Sakurai’s views on fighters, color theory, etc. are factors to consider. Dismissing suspicious behavior or the people in control doesn’t make them vanish.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm just gonna say that the only non video game character that I unironically really want in Smash is Tony Hawk. I dunno, I just think a character that uses skateboarding tricks as attacks would be really fun and we don't really have any other iconic skateboarding characters in gaming. Plus I have a lot of fond memories with the Pro Skater games so I might be biased there. I know it won't and probably should not happen, but if I was allowed only one non-video game character I'm going straight for skamtebord.
Boy, do I have good news for you:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t think non-videogame characters will happen, but I unironically want SpongeBob and Popeye, and the latter was almost Mr. Nintendo before it turned out they couldn’t have the rights and we got Mario.

I don’t think there’s any problem with people wanting non-videogame characters, even if it clearly isn’t going to happen.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Leaks are fun but now that we are under 2 weeks away, I'd rather the fighter remain a total surprise.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
After FP5's reveal, it suddenly cuts to a new trailer. Then it all leads up to the reveal of the first Capcom character, showing them side by side with Mega Man and Ryu facing against Mario, Link and Kirby in a MvC style match-up, with 4 unknown shadowed characters behind the former 3, then revealing that the Capcom character is coming with 4 other Capcom characters with the new "Fighter's Pack" titled "Smash Bros vs Capcom Pack".
No joke, I would lose my mind. That's a genuine dream for me. I've been a Capcom fan since middle school. And the crazy part is, even with five slots you would still have characters to add.

In this hypothetical situation I'd go with Phoenix Wright, Chun-Li, Amaterasu, Dante, and Viewtiful Joe. If Phoenix is fighter 5 I'd have Dante revealed first and add Jill to that list. And even then there's characters like Strider, Mike Haggar, Morrigan, M. Bison, Monster Hunter, Tron Bonne, and more that I'd love to see.

Amaterasu: "Am I a joke to you?"
Uh I mean, comparitively speaking, yes.

Last edited:

Douglas J. Walker 94

Banned via Warnings
So instead of talking like adults and trying to understand each other’s sources or reasons, let’s ignore it.
One big thing about this board is that it’s so focused on the idea of “convincing people” as if it’ll do something indirectly to the game. Does anyone really understand how debates go? It’s rare as **** for either party to change their minds. The reason why I think it’s Kosmos is because the whole situation, leaks, and weird behavior seems to lean into her favor. You can argue against that, but don’t ever ***** about “I can’t change his mind, so everything is pointless!” The stuff about Namco’s lacking mii costumes, how Nintendo handles dlc, Sakurai’s views on fighters, color theory, etc. are factors to consider. Dismissing suspicious behavior or the people in control doesn’t make them vanish.
Unless Vergeben, Sabi, Or V.R Plant Laker (Papageno's talked about him in some of his leak videos) actually comes out and says Kos-Mos is coming to the game. I don't beleive that Inkleak for a 2nd (Those three I just described are the only leakers I trust).

Also. This might just me. But considering the fact that Xenosaga And Xenoblade take place in the same universe and the fact that Reggie specifically said that the Smash Ultimate newcomers said were going to be new to the series.

As in. The fighter will be from series that aren't represented in Smash yet (I forget how he phrased his statment).

And the fact that Xenosaga doesn't have any new games coming out soon (With only one exception, all the DLC newcomers for Ultimate were thrown in to promote new games).

Kos-Mos seems highly unlikely at this point. Feel free to be at my throat and yell at me for saying this. But I'm only giving my honest opinion on where I stand on Kos-Mos getting Smash Ultimate (I also have a bad feeling they would just make her a Shulk clone with they threw her into Smash Ultimate since she uses a giant lightsaber as well)

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
To be fair, Capcom is a treasure hoard of video game IPs.
True, but SEGA is just as strong (if not stronger), and Bandai-Namco is honestly pretty damned close (if not there).
Konami has a bit less on their side, but with Hudson's properties, they have enough to stand out too.

And for SE... they're huge. You have all their classic properties (FFs, Crono, Mana, Star Ocean, etc.), then the acquired properties (Thief, Tomb Raider, Gex, Legacy of Kain, Just Cause, etc.)

For SNK, I can kind of get not having as huge a following since they've largely faded from the public eye (and their most notable feat being the MVS hardware itself also contributes), so seeing less fixation there makes sense, I suppose (though they do still have a good catalogue).

It just always feels weird to suddenly see an influx of "**** yeah! Nintendo vs. Capcom!" hype. >_>

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
True, but SEGA is just as strong (if not stronger), and Bandai-Namco is honestly pretty damned close (if not there).
Konami has a bit less on their side, but with Hudson's properties, they have enough to stand out too.

For SNK, I can kind of get not having as huge a following since they've largely faded from the public eye (and their most notable feat being the MVS hardware itself also contributes), so seeing less fixation there makes sense, I suppose (though they do still have a good catalogue).

It just always feels weird to suddenly see an influx of "**** yeah! Nintendo vs. Capcom!" hype. >_>
Kings of Crossover fighters uniting is a pretty hype concept. Smash started as a self universe crossover and now is bridging many gaps to include so many other franchises outside of their own. Capcom pioneered the crossover concept ages ago. It would be a pretty rad amalgamation with both Nintendo and Capcom having so many interesting options if they got to split the roster 50/50 amongst themselves.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
On the subject of fourth parties, there's a reason I have Scrooge McDuck in my signature. He's not happening, but he's a pure pipe dream because man I love the DuckTales games. Just getting the Moon theme would be great.

I understand why people wouldn't want them in. That's fine. But Tony Hawk, James Bond, or Scrooge McDuck would be crazy fun for me. I'd lose it. Also the small conversation we had about Luffy had me smiling but he's not seriously on my very short list.

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
I would absolutely love having Amaterasu in Smash. She was one of my mains in UMvC3 and was definitely a ton of fun with all of her unique abilities~
Chocobo Face (SmashBroards).png

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

None of those companies are even close to the amount and quality of IP that Capcom had though. Sega has a fair share, but they mostly died out in the collective memory after they stopped making consoles and their creation of new ones after that also toned down.

Capcom, meanwhile, has a huge history of throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Even so, it will lead to the philosophy that anything can get into Smash, and honestly, people will now wonder, "Smash is a celebration of everything pop culture". Nintendo is strict on making this a gaming crossover.
Love me a good old slippery slope fallacy.

If (big if) a non-video game character with impact on the gaming industry were to get in, I'm sure that it wouldn't impact the chances of Ronald McDonald getting in.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Also. This might just me. But considering the fact that Xenosaga And Xenoblade take place in the same universe
they don’t. there’s a stronger case to be made that the DK and BK games (via Diddy Kong Racing and later references) take place in the same universe than there is Saga/Blade (go to DKVine, they’ll redpill you on how all Rare games are connected). saga is not the same as blade at all. they are completely different types of games with different histories and a tiny handful of shared elements and references

I think Kosmos’s chances are overrated but she’s not a Xenoblade character.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Love me a good old slippery slope fallacy.

If (big if) a non-video game character with impact on the gaming industry were to get in, I'm sure that it wouldn't impact the chances of Ronald McDonald getting in.
Why wouldn't they though? I mean, if you put in Mickey Mouse, what's the justification behind not putting in Goku? Or Spider-Man?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom