• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yes but if you are not watching it live then you will know who the character is before watching the trailer. Because the internet will be flooded with "X character joins Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" as soon as the announcement airs. I want to watch it live, even if that means suffering all the cringe...
Crabbaskets I just realized that, I want the feeling of suspense

Douglas J. Walker 94

Banned via Warnings
I don’t wanna interrupt you all but
Aparently the comments in the gamexplain vid that was posted a couple days ago is getting bombarded by a user that dose nothing but harass others for wanting a character that’s already a sprit AT and mii costume and trust me this guy dose more stuff than that. He goes by the name the thunder productions and this is what he looks like
View attachment 249029
God help us all If The Thunder Productions comes on here and starts making trouble for this board.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Aparently the comments in the gamexplain vid that was posted a couple days ago is getting bombarded by a user that dose nothing but harass others for wanting a character that’s already a sprit AT and mii costume and trust me this guy dose more stuff than that. He goes by the name the thunder productions and this is what he looks like
View attachment 249029
Is the character in question Isaac?
1575155832284.jpeg

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
View attachment 249029
Why should we care? He's just one of many, MANY ***** on the internet.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
God help us all If The Thunder Productions comes on here and starts making trouble for this board.
I thought he already was because of the other dude with the chazz as his profile picture lol.

Since we have The Joker and Robin in Smash.

We should about getting Batman himself into Smash very soon (Along with Night-wing, Bat-girl, Batwoman, Bane, Catwoman, Killer Croc, Clayface, The Penguin, Mr. Freeze, ect........).
Dude, we already have our Batman.
EItXLgiVAAEIyGH.png

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
what do you mean you don't want to watch geoff keighley foam at the mouth about death stranding for 5 hours
I wonder If Geoff Keigley and Hideo Kojima will sing...

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Since we have The Joker and Robin in Smash.

We should about getting Batman himself into Smash very soon (Along with Night-wing, Bat-girl, Batwoman, Bane, Catwoman, Killer Croc, Clayface, The Penguin, Mr. Freeze, ect........).
anyway john dylan smith it was nice talking with you

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
View attachment 249029
“No fun allowed!”

P.Kat

Smash Champion
View attachment 249029
Not this guy again? He's always complaining about Shantae. He obviously has nothing better to do just ignore him.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
View attachment 249029
The greatest way to insult a troll is to completely ignore them. He's one dude out of thousands of Smash fans who watched that video. Who cares?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
View attachment 249029
Okay, just let the idiot scream into the void instead of giving them attention.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
The thing with Capcom is that they have a whole lot of series that are still relatively active and can still get a game or have their game ported.
-Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright(if you count 3DS alongside this Gen), Mega Man, Strider, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry, Vs. Capcom. All of them had a new release this generation.
-Okami, the Capcom Beat-em Ups like Final Fight in the Beat-em Up Collection, Ghosts'n Goblins, Onimusha, Dragon's Dogma and Breath of Fire have also been ported to the latest Gen consoles as well, so alot of Capcom series are available on the latest gen consoles.
Alongside those, they also have the Vs. Capcom series which is a popular series that also helps make their characters more known. The series is definitely the main source for Morrigan and Strider Hiryu's popularity. And it also helps add awareness for characters like Nathan Radd Spencer from Bionic Commando and Firebrand from Demon's Crest.
Capcom is one of the companies aware of how big their fanbase spreads across their franchises and while they focus on their heavy hitters mainly, like Resident Evil and Street Fighter, when they do give attention to the fanbases from their other games, they do try to give more than just a mere bone.
Heck, it's one of the reason why Monster Hunter has now become so huge in the West and is now one of their heavy hitters now. It was because they listened to the fans in the West regarding Monster Hunter, which resulted in Monster Hunter become more and more popular each game they brought over(with Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and Generations doing better than expected) and then they hit big with Monster Hunter World worldwide.
They have done a good job of keeping their old games available on current hardware, I'll give them that, but that's not really something all that unique to them honestly (SNK's 40th Anniversary Collection, Arcade Archives, Rare Replay, Sega Ages, SE's string of re-releases [the FF avalanche, Collection of Mana, etc.]).
I'd say Konami is the only one of the other companies that don't really have a great track-record with that...

When they do something new with Breath of Fire (that doesn't make me cry), Clock Tower, Mega Man Legends, Dino Crisis, or Onimusha, then they'll have my attention.
(But do bring Haunting Ground over with the deluge of re-releases. That'd be swell. Edit: And P.N.03)

-Namco-Bandai do have a good list of characters that are mentioned quite frequently. Heck, besides Pac-Man, when we're talking about Namco reps, we mention a whole lot of them. KOS-MOS from Xenosaga, Heihachi from Tekken, Nightmare from Soul Calibur, Lloyd and Yuri from the Tales Of Series, Chosen Undead/Solaire from Dark Souls, Agumon from Digimon, Klonoa, and I have also seen mentions of Dig Dug, Splatterhouse, Idolmaster, Taiko Master, Ridge Racer and Valkyrie. I think in terms of franchises mentioned, I think Namco's franchises are the 2nd most talked about here than any other company that isn't Capcom.
The attention Namco-Bandai get is nice, and I'm not going to deny that they aren't part of the conversation (even if the conversation could use more idols), but I just find it odd that even with how much they are brought up, nobody seems to have the same level of... allegiance(?)... to them that I see with Capcom. "I'll trade everything for more Capcom," seems to be a legitimate sentiment while I don't see that with Bamco.

-Square Enix and Sega have a big issue in not really giving their non-big series attention. When it comes to Square Enix, they tend to focus on Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Just Cause and Tomb Raider. When it comes to Sega, they show off Sonic, Yakuza and Shin Megami Tensei/Persona. Both have plenty of other cool series, but they really don't give them attention compared to their heavy hitters and as such, the other series really suffer in terms of recognition, marketing and whatnot.
It's surprising enough that Arle from Puyo Puyo is talked about considering the only real reason she's talked about is how she was able to get on Smash fan polls due to how supposedly popular she is in Japan. Otherwise, no one really talks about possible reps from other Sega series like Shinobi, Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes, Phantasy Star, the Shining games, etc.
In the case of Square Enix, the only Square rep really talked about that isn't another Final Fantasy rep, Sora or Lara Croft is 2B from Nier Automata due to how shockingly popular that game got. The original Nier was a spin-off of Drakengard that became a cult classic, heck, I don't even think it has been released digitally still, making it a rare game. So I'm really curious on where Nier's popularity will go after Automata.
I've mentioned it in another post, but as far as SEGA goes:
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 is still running in Japan, is now coming West, and has IDOLA and es tying into it on the mobile side (there's currently an IDOLA event going on in the main game alongside the Evangelion event... Game is weird.)
  • Sakura Wars is getting a new installment for the first time in over a decade.
  • Space Channel 5 is apparently getting a new VR game that they should admittedly be advertising better. >_>
  • The House of the Dead got a new arcade release in 2018.
  • Shining is still trudging along. The Shining Resonance port wasn't all that long ago, and they had the fighting game that released after that.
  • Valkyria Chronicle is recent and ongoing.
  • Panzer Dragoon is getting a remake, followed by its sequel.
  • SEGA Ages releases are bringing back a number of other titles.

They're not doing as much with some of their IPs as I'd like (A modern take on Kid Chameleon would be amazing), but they're not as dead/dormant as I've seen implied.

Square-Enix is in a similar boat, honestly:
  • For Star Ocean, an updated port of its remake is coming to Switch.
  • The Secret of Mana remake is relatively recent, as is the release of the Collection of Mana in the West, and Trials of Mana is coming next year.
  • There is still a lot of untapped potential as far as FF goes:
    • XI is still alive
    • XIV is in the midst of its best expansion (even if I've found the first patch-cycle to be kind of 'meh') and is incredibly strong.
    • Crystal Chronicles is getting a port and that whole sub-series could probably carry itself.
    • Ivalice is still alive and fresh in people's minds after the XII port and Stormblood's alliance raid.
    • The mobile stuff is apparently doing pretty well...
  • Just Cause had a recent release
  • Tomb Raider is still going strong
  • Nier is everywhere...
  • Bubble Bobble is still getting sequels and new releases.
  • SE has handled a number of new IPs in recent years; Tokyo RPG Factory is producing games pretty regularly and Octopath hit as well.
  • Deus Ex is on hold for the moment, but the developers are apparently keen to return to it (and the last game was released in 2016)
  • A number of SaGa games have been getting ported and brought to the West for the first time in a long while.
And while slightly less relevant,​

• It's only been 5 years since the last Thief game, which isn't too long, honestly.
  • It's been even less time since the last Bravely game and people are still pretty into that.
  • Legacy of Kain has apparently been thrown into the Square Enix Collective service as an invitation for indies to do something with it (for better or worse) >_>
Gex and Chrono may not have much in the works, granted, but SE hasn't sat back and done nothing.

Edit: All that being said, a large part of what I'm interested in from Smash is the ability to revive a series or expand its reach, so the prospect of dead, geographically-locked, or niche series getting some attention is actually desirable, IMO.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
View attachment 249029
That's unfortunate, the only thing worse than being completely obsessive over a character is being completely obsessive against a character. Mentally neither are great, but at least one isn't consumed by negativity. This site (mostly) only has the former, which is definitely the lesser of two evils.

But there's nothing we can really do about it except not give this dude any more attention than he already gets.

I like having decent healthcare though so no can do
There is another way

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I don't know about you but if there was a 2nd Fighter's Pass with just Dante, Hayabusa, and Lloyd/Tales Rep at a lower price, I would be sold on it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'd just look at trolls as folks who are simply looking to instigate and get people fired up.

They don't bring anything interesting to the conversation, but that's sometimes because they literally can't.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I'd just look at trolls as folks who are simply looking to instigate and get people fired up.

They don't bring anything interesting to the conversation, but that's sometimes because they literally can't.
The only anything they contributed in was our interest in their eventual bans.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom