• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They have done a good job of keeping their old games available on current hardware, I'll give them that, but that's not really something all that unique to them honestly (SNK's 40th Anniversary Collection, Arcade Archives, Rare Replay, Sega Ages, SE's string of re-releases [the FF avalanche, Collection of Mana, etc.]).
I'd say Konami is the only one of the other companies that don't really have a great track-record with that...

When they do something new with Breath of Fire (that doesn't make me cry), Clock Tower, Mega Man Legends, Dino Crisis, or Onimusha, then they'll have my attention.
(But do bring Haunting Ground over with the deluge of re-releases. That'd be swell. Edit: And P.N.03)

The attention Namco-Bandai get is nice, and I'm not going to deny that they aren't part of the conversation (even if the conversation could use more idols), but I just find it odd that even with how much they are brought up, nobody seems to have the same level of... allegiance(?)... to them that I see with Capcom. "I'll trade everything for more Capcom," seems to be a legitimate sentiment while I don't see that with Bamco.

I've mentioned it in another post, but as far as SEGA goes:
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 is still running in Japan, is now coming West, and has IDOLA and es tying into it on the mobile side (there's currently an IDOLA event going on in the main game alongside the Evangelion event... Game is weird.)
  • Sakura Wars is getting a new installment for the first time in over a decade.
  • Space Channel 5 is apparently getting a new VR game that they should admittedly be advertising better. >_>
  • The House of the Dead got a new arcade release in 2018.
  • Shining is still trudging along. The Shining Resonance port wasn't all that long ago, and they had the fighting game that released after that.
  • Valkyria Chronicle is recent and ongoing.
  • Panzer Dragoon is getting a remake, followed by its sequel.
  • SEGA Ages releases are bringing back a number of other titles.

They're not doing as much with some of their IPs as I'd like (A modern take on Kid Chameleon would be amazing), but they're not as dead/dormant as I've seen implied.

Square-Enix is in a similar boat, honestly:
  • For Star Ocean, an updated port of its remake is coming to Switch.
  • The Secret of Mana remake is relatively recent, as is the release of the Collection of Mana in the West, and Trials of Mana is coming next year.
  • There is still a lot of untapped potential as far as FF goes:
    • XI is still alive
    • XIV is in the midst of its best expansion (even if I've found the first patch-cycle to be kind of 'meh') and is incredibly strong.
    • Crystal Chronicles is getting a port and that whole sub-series could probably carry itself.
    • Ivalice is still alive and fresh in people's minds after the XII port and Stormblood's alliance raid.
    • The mobile stuff is apparently doing pretty well...
  • Just Cause had a recent release
  • Tomb Raider is still going strong
  • Nier is everywhere...
  • Bubble Bobble is still getting sequels and new releases.
  • SE has handled a number of new IPs in recent years; Tokyo RPG Factory is producing games pretty regularly and Octopath hit as well.
  • Deus Ex is on hold for the moment, but the developers are apparently keen to return to it (and the last game was released in 2016)
  • A number of SaGa games have been getting ported and brought to the West for the first time in a long while.
And while slightly less relevant,​

• It's only been 5 years since the last Thief game, which isn't too long, honestly.
  • It's been even less time since the last Bravely game and people are still pretty into that.
  • Legacy of Kain has apparently been thrown into the Square Enix Collective service as an invitation for indies to do something with it (for better or worse) >_>
Gex and Chrono may not have much in the works, granted, but SE hasn't sat back and done nothing.

Edit: All that being said, a large part of what I'm interested in from Smash is the ability to revive a series or expand its reach, so the prospect of dead, geographically-locked, or niche series getting some attention is actually desirable, IMO.
Tfw no TWEWY Final Remix for Nintendo Switch... :c

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Tfw no TWEWY Final Remix for Nintendo Switch... :c
Yeah... Missed some things.
I actually had to edit in Nier even though that's actually relevant to a game I currently play.

And I'm going to claim I intentionally left out Kingdom Hearts because of the Disney aspect. Totally not because I just forgot about it. <_<

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Imagine our reactions if the Octane car from Rocket League was the 5th DLC Fighter for Smash...
I would cry godly tears of happiness if it was in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

FYI here's a blacklist I found on Twitter. Check if we missed anyone.
IMG_20191201_081229.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though I'm curious to see who Fighter #5 is, I'm even more curious to learn more about the characters we get afterwards.

First and foremost, I want to know if first-parties are eligible, because that would make DLC a ton more interesting. Third-parties are cool, but I think we need a break from them.

D

Deleted member

First and foremost, I want to know if first-parties are eligible, because that would make DLC a ton more interesting. Third-parties are cool, but I think we need a break from them
Unless you count in the rest of the Spirits/Miis deconfirm and stuff. **** I deconfirmed Rex myself dammit

In all seriousness, should Geno get in, all my Xeno fam are gonna have field days.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
FYI here's a blacklist I found on Twitter. Check if we missed anyone.View attachment 249046
The "already represented companies" thing makes no sense, considering Hero is already part of the pass, and also the fact that every company currently involved in Smash has more game worlds to offer than what's already in.

D

Deleted member

The "already represented companies" thing makes no sense, considering Hero is already part of the pass, and also the fact that every company currently involved in Smash has more game worlds to offer than what's already in.
That Travis Touchdown mention honestly seems kinda sketchy.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Even though I'm curious to see who Fighter #5 is, I'm even more curious to learn more about the characters we get afterwards.

First and foremost, I want to know if first-parties are eligible, because that would make DLC a ton more interesting. Third-parties are cool, but I think we need a break from them.
It really depends for me.
1st-party promotional picks? Nah.
1st-parties to represent new series (ideally non-promotional)? Great.
1st-parties in existing franchises? There's a couple I'm down for, but generally somewhere between "Meh" and "No thanks."

BlackInk

Smash Lord
1st-parties in existing franchises? There's a couple I'm down for, but generally somewhere between "Meh" and "No thanks."
There is no smash when there are no promotions.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This is largely my sentiment, though promo picks and new series kind of overlap (I'd love to see Akira Howard for reference).

Most times however, I'll say that first parties are better used for base roster.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
With how well the Fighter Pass has sold, I doubt third-parties will ever stay absent from future DLC support.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
With how well the Fighter Pass has sold, I doubt third-parties will ever stay absent from future DLC support.
You're right, but consider that there's probably a good chunk who bought it A. to just have more Smash content, or B. after the reveal of DQ and BK, two series highly connected to Nintendo.

That and post-pass DLC probably won't have all the planning that this pass did, and they now can acknowledge disconfirmation complaints.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I see first parties in future DLC being either:
  • a). those few first parties who could bring in around as much sales as a third party, and/or
  • b). promotional first parties Nintendo are banking on to be popular
Right now I really only see Waluigi, Rex & Pyra, Three Houses, or Astral Chain having much of a chance.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I've told others, but I feel as though Pick 6 is going to be telling.

If they want fans to see Upgrades/first parties on the table, they'd start with it.

If they continue with 3rd parties, then it's a 3rd party.

Or, at least, I'd think.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Unless you count in the rest of the Spirits/Miis deconfirm and stuff. **** I deconfirmed Rex myself dammit

In all seriousness, should Geno get in, all my Xeno fam are gonna have field days.
The only thing I'm not entirely convinced is a deconfirmation is the Rex Mii costume and the Sword and Shield Spirits.

Rex came at such a weird time. Yes, he has a Mii costume, but plans for additional fighters didn't start until after the Fighter Pass went on sale. There's no way Sakurai could've known for sure they'd be more after Fighter #5.

As for Sword and Shield, the Spirits were flat-out promotional material meant to mark the launch of SwSh. Obviously getting Spirits isn't good for a Gen VIII Pokemon's chances, but if promotion was their goal all along, why wait several months later when the character was released? Plus, it would reek of suspicion to give Let's Go some Spirits in an update shortly after Ultimate launched but not give SwSh anything.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
You're right, but consider that there's probably a good chunk who bought it A. to just have more Smash content, or B. after the reveal of DQ and BK, two series highly connected to Nintendo.

That and post-pass DLC probably won't have all the planning that this pass did, and they now can acknowledge disconfirmation complaints.
The first actual Pass character was Joker, and I think the noise he made had more impact than anything else so far. Not to mention, Dragon Quest wasn't included based on the ties to Nintendo, and even if it was the case, the franchise has way too much historical power to just be reduced to some kind connection.

Also, just because they can acknowledge complaints doesn't mean they'll necessarily drop their actual modus operandi. Much less when it didn't backfire.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I've told others, but I feel as though Pick 6 is going to be telling.

If they want fans to see Upgrades/first parties on the table, they'd start with it.

If they continue with 3rd parties, then it's a 3rd party.

Or, at least, I'd think.
That's where I'm at as well. I know a lot of people would like a Nintendo pass or a fan service pass, but I honestly think the tone of the first 5 fighters will continue. At least until we see evidence to the contrary.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
First-parties can have just as much fire power as third-parties if Nintendo was careful with their choices.

If you were to add someone from Astral Chain or FEH, I think the response would be mixed. Obviously a lot of people want a newcomer from those games, but there's also a lot of people who would consider that a shill advertisement choice. Someone like Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, or Paper Mario would seem like s solid choices that would sell well, and I think most people would be comfortable with their inclusion.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
First-parties can have just as much fire power as third-parties if Nintendo was careful with their choices.

If you were to add someone from Astral Chain or FEH, I think the response would be mixed. Obviously a lot of people want a newcomer from those games, but there's also a lot of people who would consider that a shill advertisement choice. Someone like Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, and Paper Mario seem like solid choices that would sell well, and I think most people would be comfortable with their inclusion.
I'm surprised you didn't mention you know who if we want a first party to have just as much fire power.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I kinda don't get why every DLC has to be a heavy hitter, I mean this game is already selling like hotcakes lol.
That being said, I want like, one or two first parties. At least give out a mix of third parties and first parties because there are still some Nintendo chars I'm looking forward to seeing.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So if we are to belive that rumor that there's two post pass characters that are already spirits but not Assist Trophies, who do you think they could be?

Geno and Dixie Kong are the obvious choices.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace

If you were to add someone from Astral Chain or FEH, I think the response would be mixed. Obviously a lot of people want a newcomer from those games, but there's also a lot of people who would consider that a shill advertisement choice. Someone like Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, or Paper Mario would seem like s solid choices that would sell well, and I think most people would be comfortable with their inclusion.
I don't mean to come across as disparaging, but I think this is a very "Smash bubble" view. Nearly 14 million copies of Ult have been sold and I highly doubt that many of those would even know who Bandana Waddle Dee is. 3 Houses is a recent, very popular game. The inclusion of a character would probably bring groans of "more FE", but it also has much higher mainstream appeal among general fans. We often joke about literal who's when talking about 3rd party inclusions but for most people that is going to apply to all the niche Nintendo characters as well.

Again, not trying to put down any Geno/Dixie/Gooma/etc fans. I just think that this forum, and most other Smash forums, is not representative of actual popularity/recognizably.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I highly doubt that many of those would even know who Bandana Waddle Dee is. 3 Houses is a recent, very popular game. The inclusion of a character would probably bring groans of "more FE", but it also has much higher mainstream appeal among general fans.
Insert a certain quote from Terry's direct here.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So if we are to belive that rumor that there's two post pass characters that are already spirits but not Assist Trophies, who do you think they could be?

Gonna need some sauce my guy.

D

Deleted member

I'm surprised you didn't mention you know who if we want a first party to have just as much fire power.
I mean really. If Nintendo wanted a first party that would shake the internet to it's core Waluigi is front and center. His status in Smash is so goddamn prevalent that I know people who don't even play it who were still cracking jokes about his eternal butt monkey status around E3 2018

D

Deleted member

Geno & Shantae

also where did you hear that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom