• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Wait a minute. Who has been "deconfirmed"? Why are they "deconfirmed"? And who "deconfirmed" them?

Droodle

Smash Lord
I'm personally thinking we'll get a Bamco rep or an absolutely huge character next at this point; it's possible that if we get a mini-direct within next week that makes a Namco rep like KOS-MOS and Nightmare really likely (or even Phoenix Wright/Reimu/Sol/insert niche character here).

Geoff's been hyping up the Joker reveal, to me it seems that either character 5 or character 6 (if there is one revealed ahead of time); and it makes it look like they have a HUGE surprise this year too.

And out of all the HUGE characters that have not been disconfirmed for character 5, the big ones are (assuming they will not be company repeats):
-Sora (Would be a absolutely huge, Sora's topped polls before the game launched; but people thought that he was TOO unlikely which hurt hist popularity).
-Dovahkiin (Skyrim was absolutely one of the biggest games this generation. Dovahkiin could also come with the Cacodemon Mii costume; unfortunately, Bethesda has been a bit controversial for the last year or 2).
-A Sony character (I know a lot of people look at Kratos, but I think Ratchet and Clank also have a good chance; maybe even a character like Sackboy).
-A Blizzard character (Probably the least likely, and their reputation has been tarnished for the past couple months; would most likely be mixed.)

If we are getting a reveal at Game Awards, I think Sora and Dovahkiin are the most likely; if we get one before I think KOS-MOS or Nightmare may have a good shot.

Currently it's anyone's game as all the huge obvious picks have been dis-confirmed (except Sora). I both love and hate this because we really have no leads to go off of, which means we can talk about our favorites without them being completely dismissed, not to mention the surpise factor when character 5 ends up being revealed. But at the same time it SUCKS being in the dark with no leads to go off of for potentially the next 2 weeks.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Your post is a giant paradox.
Not really. I listed Namco as likely among several other companies. You seemed to be of the opinion it’s only Namco. I generally try to reply back to people, even if they disagree with me as it’s common courtesy. However, your post doesn’t deserved to have a thought out response as, simply put, it was stupid.

I listed Namco in the characters I think are likely along with other ones I also feel similar to. I fail to see what’s the issue with that.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
That would work too, but I feel like it might thematically step on Joker and Arsene's toes with the whole demonic wings. @pizzadudemanguy made a good overview of Nightmare's move set potential and he had Night Terror's wings.
I'm all out for more fighting game characters. Sakurai still have so much to teach about real fighting games to the annoying smash community kids.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
It kinda disappoints me how KOS-MOS is a reasonable Bamco rep now that Lloyd's out and yet everyone is now thinking Nightmare or Heihachi or stuff. While I do admire his presence due to my FGC nature, you do know my wants...female characters. It seems the thread really has a bias for males, though it seems like it really is the reality of this community.

In my opinion, KOS-MOS is inevitable at best and very likely at worst. Just try to keep the discussion going, we might get her soon.
At least other places want KOS-MOS. Namely Resetera, Gamefaqs, and 4chan

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I'd love for KOS-MOS to be in, but to call her inevitable is really stretching her chances. I know you can produce evidence like mad in support of her, but so could every Support Thread for the last year and a half for characters that have already been deconfirmed.
Welcome to Smash speculation, where people will give you 200 word essays on why their most wanted characters are 100% going to be in compared to who you probably want

D

Deleted member

Guys, I think Homura's a lock. Namco published the PSP/PS Vita Madoka games and Sony won the random company tournament. She's both a Namco and a Sony rep. FP5 comes out around the same time as the Magia Record anime releases. Maybe they'll top the announcement off with a port of either Portable or Battle Pentagram to the Switch. Sakurai also tweeted out this image 6 years ago:

Ineviable.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Didn’t respond to it yet, but I thought about it when I read the thing about Jon from GameXplain saying Smash fans make rules that are restricting.

Do people make up rules? Yes. Do they necessarily apply to everyone and everything? No. Let’s face it, they’re more like guidelines.

For example, it makes sense to assume that content that Nintendo is asking you to pay for like Mii costume waves would be invalidated by a whole character. Like, if I bought the Rex costume and then got Rex fully playable later, I’d be pissed that Nintendo convinced me to drop money on something whereas I’d rather have had the character at the beginning.

In addition, there’s a whole lot of precedent. The “rule” or guideline as I’d call it, that ATs aren’t getting upgraded makes sense imo. They’re fully programmed into the game, and Sakurai has hinted in the past that they count as part of the crossover in the game. Meaning, them becoming playable doesn’t bring something new to the crossover.

I don’t know, people rail against rules for Smash, but in order to speculate on who the picks are, there have to be certain things to base that speculation on. Shouting into the void about anything and everything isn’t interesting, nor does it lead to interesting discussion imo.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Lol, but you just responded.
Yep, my non-response was actually a response and took more time then just simply explaining my reasoning. But I felt like making a point that will eventually be lost in the pages of the thread.

Anyways, I do hope we get a Namco Rep. I love Lloyd but I am totally down for Heihachi, KOS-MOS, or even Augumon.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Not really. I listed Namco as likely among several other companies. You seemed to be of the opinion it’s only Namco. I generally try to reply back to people, even if they disagree with me as it’s common courtesy. However, your post doesn’t deserved to have a thought out response as, simply put, it was stupid.

I listed Namco in the characters I think are likely along with other ones I also feel similar to. I fail to see what’s the issue with that.
You sound extremely egotistical. In my thought out opinion, the way you present yourself is ridiculously awful and you manage to create a post that’s far more “stupid” than my mii fighter post because of it. Now you’re trying your best to regain the image of intelligence because we point out why your previous post is dumb, which is hilariously ironic.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Allow me to reiterate that any and all likely Bandai Namco reps would be dope.

very nice contribution to the discussion
Was waiting for your response; didn't disappoint.

I wasn't necessarily on board with Sophitia being our Soul Cal rep.

Then you said this.

And now I'm 100% on board with Sophitia being our Soul Cal rep.

If we aren't getting Jill with a Leon Echo, then this is the next best hill for me to die on.
A like just isn't enough, kind stranger. This post alone earned you a follow.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Just a reminder that Heihachi is the only Namco character to be name dropped by Sakurai as previously being planned before getting dropped in favor of Pac-Man. Lloyd was his largest obstacle since he got a Mii costume as well in Smash 4, but if Lloyd is out of the picture then I really don't see anyone else besides Heihachi as the front runner for a Namco rep.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I'm legitimately starting to believe in Phoenix's chances, but at the same time, I kinda don't want to. I had a lot of hope for Ashley pre-release, and that turned out really well for me.

I know the end of the Fighter's Pass isn't the end of the DLC, but if Phoenix isn't FP5, suddenly all his competitors for the Capcom slot come rushin' back, and I dunno if I can handle that.
Not really, if we are looking at the most popular Capcom characters, the only new competitor he will get is Dante.(Which is still pretty big competition so oof, but I do feel that sakurai would choose Phoenix over Dante since Phoenix is more unique and arguably more popular too, not that popularity matters it’s just a plus)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I honestly do genuinely want to know what the appeal is in Geno. Like what makes him such a compelling character choice, one who's a side-character in a Mario spin-off who has only made one game appearance to date that has resonated so much with people to the point where he's become a top request for Smash.

Like I understand the uniqueness part, but I understand nothing else about him or his appeal. To me it's like if the purple Bob-Omb from Mario 64 became a top request for Smash lmao.

D

Deleted member

Guys, I think Homura's a lock. Namco published the PSP/PS Vita Madoka games and Sony won the random company tournament. She's both a Namco and a Sony rep. FP5 comes out around the same time as the Magia Record anime releases. Maybe they'll top the announcement off with a port of either Portable or Battle Pentagram to the Switch. Sakurai also tweeted out this image 6 years ago:

Ineviable.
There it goes, the last points you get for trying.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Warning Issued
very nice contribution to the discussion
Better than half the crap that’s on here anyway.

“Just woke up and saw the news guys!!! SABI AND MY MOM SAID (insert character) IS NOT FP5! iS tHis TrUe?!”

then it’s some crazy ***** crying about women characters. The sexist people in the thread saying it doesn’t matter. The Geno freaks leaving their thread and attacking everyone. The anime freaks claiming their wifu is amazing. The KOS-MOS fans having a hard on and finally people fighting over Sabi if she’s fake or not.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I honestly do genuinely want to know what the appeal is in Geno. Like what makes him such a compelling character choice, one who's a side-character in a Mario spin-off who has only made one game appearance to date that has resonated so much with people to the point where he's become a top request for Smash.

Like I understand the uniqueness part, but I understand nothing else about him or his appeal. To me it's like if the purple Bob-Omb from Mario 64 became a top request for Smash lmao.
I think it's honestly one of those things you just gotta play to understand. It's about design. About his abilities. About his personality. And I think a part of it is that he sparks the imagination, given how many blank spaces his story provides to fill in.

If I had to explain it, I guess I would compare it to most other JRPGs. You know how generally the protagonist is the most generic, and people gravitate to the side characters because they're the ones allowed to be the most distinct? That's Geno in a nutshell, I guess. But multiplied because most of the party members are also the same old Mario characters (albeit brilliantly characterized) and the other one is the very much less cool Mallow.

“Just woke up and saw the news guys!!! SABI AND MY MOM SAID (insert character) IS NOT FP5! iS tHis TrUe?!”

then it’s some crazy ***** crying about women characters. The sexist people in the thread saying it doesn’t matter. The Geno freaks leaving their thread and attacking everyone. The anime freaks claiming their wifu is amazing. The KOS-MOS fans having a hard on and finally people fighting over Sabi if she’s fake or not.
Color me shocked that two people share this opinion. It seemed like a very specific combination of hurtful comments to appeal to more than a single individual.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
KOS-MOS has done pretty well in Smash speculation for a character that hasn't had a game in around fifteen years, is from a company that clearly has bigger and more active series, only ever had three games, is pretty niche in 2019, and was never that huge to begin with.

Like, for the people intimating at sexism or whatever, keep in mind that Tekken and SoulCaliber are actually bigger, active series. The gender of their leading character is irrelevant, especially to Sakurai. That doesn't mean hoping for KOS-MOS is pointless, but bigger series often cultivate a greater mindshare.

So why are people talking about them more? Probably for very similar reasons as why people spoke more about Resident Evil than Ghosts N' Goblins. Or Tomb Raider more than Deus Ex. And frankly, are they talking about Tekken and SC more? Discussion extends to KOS-MOS far more often than most characters in situations like hers. I genuinely think people talk about her more than a SoulCaliber character.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Although personally, I want that Cassandra echo more than any of them. Y'all should know why by now; I wrote an essay about her.
Lol at thinking any significant number of people will read essays or watch 40-minute videos for a character. And lol at thinking KOS-MOS is very likely, let alone a lock.
For example, it makes sense to assume that content that Nintendo is asking you to pay for like Mii costume waves would be invalidated by a whole character. Like, if I bought the Rex costume and then got Rex fully playable later, I’d be pissed that Nintendo convinced me to drop money on something whereas I’d rather have had the character at the beginning.
Isn't the Rex costume only available by buying the pass? Including Rex in the pass as a character wouldn't be making anyone pay twice.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
As much as I would love some of the most speculated and hyped characters we're all talking about here in Smash, I also desperately want absolutely none of them to get in. I'd much rather be completely surprised by an out-of-left-field pick with a fun moveset than a character devoted Reddit users have been repeating for six months.

That's what made Joker such a wild reveal for me. I had heard of Persona in passing, but knew that it wasn't exactly the type of game that would ever end up on a Nintendo platform. Then bam, whoops, he's joining the roster. It was so bizarre, so unexpected, and so exciting, even for someone who had never even played Persona 5 at that point.

I've gotta be honest, at this point if we do get Doomguy or Dante or some of those "they're a shoe-in!" names that we've all been repeating since this time last year, I think I would be bored to tears before I even downloaded them haha. Give me someone crazy like Prince of Cosmos or Chel instead.

Alas, that's the ironic contradiction of even participating on these boards, isn't it haha

D

Deleted member

Warning Issued

Oh look, it's a bird! It's a plane!

It's...the last **** I give!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Lol at thinking any significant number of people will read essays or watch 40-minute videos for a character. And lol at thinking KOS-MOS is very likely, let alone a lock.
Isn't the Rex costume only available by buying the pass? Including Rex in the pass as a character wouldn't be making anyone pay twice.
Fair, but the point stands.

If Nintendo is making you pay for a costume of a character, for the sake of argument we’ll say Heihachi or Lloyd, logic dictates they wouldn’t see you the real deal later because they basically are convincing you to make a purchase based on lack of information.

It’s not a good look for a producer to do something like that to a consumer. In that sense, I’d count it as a disconfirmation, personally.

cosmicB

Smash Ace

Do you like anyone on this site?

Ivander

Smash Legend
It kinda disappoints me how KOS-MOS is a reasonable Bamco rep now that Lloyd's out and yet everyone is now thinking Nightmare or Heihachi or stuff. While I do admire his presence due to my FGC nature, you do know my wants...female characters. It seems the thread really has a bias for males, though it seems like it really is the reality of this community.
Hey, I'd be happy with KOS-MOS, as I did enjoy the Xenosaga series. Nightmare is just on my more wanted list due to the fact that I was a huge Soulcalibur fan(and a Nightmare main) and I have so many fond memories of Soulcalibur II and III(IV and V, not so much and I waited until Soulcalibur VI was on sale, but haven't gotten to it yet).
I lowkey would prefer Sophitia or Mitsurugi for Soulcalibur. Nightmare is fine but I like the other two more.
Both of them are fine characters. Mitsurugi just has that issue where there are alot of characters like him though and he doesn't really have anything unique himself. With Sophitia, she's a CERO magnet. Like, it's not even subtle when she has two grab moves where she shoves her crotch in the opponent's face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom