• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

-The series is decently known, and is active compared to Xenosaga which is inactive.
Pretty sure Xenoblade, Xenogears, and Xenosaga are all considered the same franchise and since Xenoblade is fairly popular right now, the franchise would be considered active.

At the same time, that's the biggest knock against KOS-MOS because if they were going to have Xeno representation, I don't think it'd be from Saga, it'd be from Blade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well, can't help but say that I respect your opinion ;)

The only presence I ever had with SC prior to the reboot was a crossover fanfic I read online that featured Tekken, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat. It's called the Ketsueki Quadrilogy, and I highly recommend it. It's a good read. But after the reboot, and I have heard nothing but good things about it, I might just give it a try someday...if I ever owned a PS4 coz I'm broke.
Soul Calibur VI for PC is part of the December Monthly Humble Bundle if you are interested in it. It's one of the early access games along with Yakuza Kiwami and My Time at Portia. $12 US is the monthly subscription cost and you can download the early access games now once you have subscribed. It needs to be done before next Friday (Dec 6th) as you can't subscribe to the month once the full game slate has been announced.

And Steam does allow for controller setups, including Playstation 4 and Xbox controllers.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
So when is the next direct, or apparent reveal, taking place?

Next week?

I'm just going to randomly throw in Geralt of Rivia just to tailspin a lot of the speculation lol xD

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pretty sure Xenoblade, Xenogears, and Xenosaga are all considered the same franchise and since Xenoblade is fairly popular right now, the franchise would be considered active.
They're not the same series. They're just linked by a prefix.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Ok I'm back in this s***. Can someone provide a b**** a rundown of wtf happened since Resident Evil spitits? How many dreams were crushed since then? Thanks.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
The only Soul Calibur rep that seems particularly interesting or fun to me is probably Tira, and I don't think that's happening. :-(
Edit: Or Ashlotte. Forgot about her actually, but that's even less likely.

Could accept Seong-Mi-na or Cervantes in a pinch, I guess...

Guys, I think Homura's a lock. Namco published the PSP/PS Vita Madoka games and Sony won the random company tournament. She's both a Namco and a Sony rep. FP5 comes out around the same time as the Magia Record anime releases. Maybe they'll top the announcement off with a port of either Portable or Battle Pentagram to the Switch. Sakurai also tweeted out this image 6 years ago:
Ineviable.
I find it slightly amusing that half of the hyperbolic, joke suggestions allow me to go, "Eh, they were in PSO2 already."
The current event has us piloting mechs to help Shinji, Asuka, and Rei take down the 6th Angel... >_>

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They're not the same series. They're just linked by a prefix.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeno_(series)

Nope, I was right; they're considered part of a wider 'Xeno' series. Kind of like how Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest works. They're different suffixes (numbered instead of Xeno) while the prefixes (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Xeno) remain constant

The Mechs being part of the lore would be the main constant throughout the series as it all started with Xenosaga for the PS1

Last edited by a moderator:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Just a note that Talim is much more popular than Nightmare. Nightmare didn't even place top 5 when Soulcalibur was a dead series. Look at the interest poll

1. Talim - 862
2. Taki - 720
3. Mitsurugi - 594
4. Ivy - 536
5. Kilik - 536
6. Siegfried - 500
7. Nightmare - 498
8. Zasalamel - 471
9. Yoshimitsu - 454
10. Tira - 438
11. Sophitia - 378
12. Cassandra - 339
13. Amy - 311
14. Yun-seong - 295
15. Seong Mi-na - 291
16. Cervantes - 268
17. Voldo - 259
18. Xianghua - 257
19. Raphael - 254
20. Setsuka - 214
21. Viola - 201
22. Maxi - 199
23. Hwang - 193
24. Hilde - 154
25. Astaroth - 142
26. Z.W.E.I. - 113
27. Natsu - 100
28. Pyrrha - 98
29. Xiba - 81
30. Lizardman - 76
31. Rock - 71
32. Li Long - 65
33. Algol - 59
34. Dampierre - 54
35. Aeon - 52
36. Pyrrha Omega - 45
37. Patroklos - 32
38. Alpha Patroklos - 30
39. Soul Edge - 30
40. Leixia - 28
41. Abyss - 27
42. Charade - 27
43. Olcadan - 26
44. Elysium - 23
45. Edge Master - 15

He definitley does not have the edge over KOS-MOS here.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So when is the next direct, or apparent reveal, taking place?

Next week?

I'm just going to randomly throw in Geralt of Rivia just to tailspin a lot of the speculation lol xD
The date almost everyone is expecting for the next reveal is the Game Awards.

Personally, I think it's a toss-up between the following...
  • Next week shortly before Ultimate's anniversary.
  • The Game Awards.
  • Sometime after the Game Awards, but still in December.

One more possibility I could think of: Fighter 5 is a Capcom character... and their reveal is gonna be at Capcom Cup, a couple days after the Game Awards. Not likely, I know, but I could still see it happening.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Something to keep in mind with KOS-MOS is she's a rare example of a character outlasting their origins. Her recognizability and merchandising potential is undisputed in Japan, and even in the west there are people that can recognize her without even knowing where she came from.

KOS-MOS is popular in spite of Xenosaga not catching on and ultimately dying with only half its story told. You don't find yourself in a million crossovers if you don't have some level of appeal unless your owner is just that desperate to make things work with the character specifically.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
There was another person who pointed out the irony of the “this post is not worth responding” post.

The direct itself is heavily foreshadowing a Namco rep. The Heihachi thing is one detail, but Sakurai blurted out about how Namco only had one rep as everyone laughed about. Keep in mind that blurting out stuff like this is extremely abnormal in these videos. What’s funny is how none of Namco’s mii stuff has never returned when they arguably have many chances to put in one mii costume as dlc. The fact the Namco has no mii costumes in the game yet is incredibly strange.
Fair enough. I’m not arguing that Namco isn’t unlikely. I think they are very likely but, like I said, calling something a lock without substantial evidence (which I think we still don’t have) isn’t how I go about it. If we get Heihachi or a Namco Rep, awesome. If we don’t but get another character, awesome. I do think Namco deserves a Rep though.

I’ve been under a lot of pressure financially, with my job, family, and so on and I lashed out needlessly because of it. I’ll try to keep myself in check next time.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, I feel like in most groups if you asked if they knew Xenosaga they’d say, “You mean Xenoblade?”

Doesn’t mean Xenosaga isn’t a series with its fans, but it’s definitely niche.

In terms of Smash chances, we seem to gravitate toward the big players, but Xenosaga also seems like a pick that would make some sense. Not that I expect it anyway.

There are times when I think people overestimate the odds of a particular female character because they have boobs (yes, I realize that generalizes and probably judgmental), but it’s simply something I wouldn’t be surprised by.

The TRULY OFFENSIVE PART OF IT ALL, is that y’all support a sexy robut, but don’t ask for the sexiest MAN of all:

5A778C07-A526-4512-8ADB-39ADA4B0D9EA.png

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Just a note that Talim is much more popular than Nightmare. Nightmare didn't even place top 5 when Soulcalibur was a dead series. Look at the interest poll

1. Talim - 862
2. Taki - 720
3. Mitsurugi - 594
4. Ivy - 536
5. Kilik - 536
6. Siegfried - 500
7. Nightmare - 498
8. Zasalamel - 471
9. Yoshimitsu - 454
10. Tira - 438
11. Sophitia - 378
12. Cassandra - 339
13. Amy - 311
14. Yun-seong - 295
15. Seong Mi-na - 291
16. Cervantes - 268
17. Voldo - 259
18. Xianghua - 257
19. Raphael - 254
20. Setsuka - 214
21. Viola - 201
22. Maxi - 199
23. Hwang - 193
24. Hilde - 154
25. Astaroth - 142
26. Z.W.E.I. - 113
27. Natsu - 100
28. Pyrrha - 98
29. Xiba - 81
30. Lizardman - 76
31. Rock - 71
32. Li Long - 65
33. Algol - 59
34. Dampierre - 54
35. Aeon - 52
36. Pyrrha Omega - 45
37. Patroklos - 32
38. Alpha Patroklos - 30
39. Soul Edge - 30
40. Leixia - 28
41. Abyss - 27
42. Charade - 27
43. Olcadan - 26
44. Elysium - 23
45. Edge Master - 15

He definitley does not have the edge over KOS-MOS here.
Back up there, good sir!

This was a poll back before Soul Calibur VI that Namco did wanting to know which characters the players wanted back in a future game. That's why Talim is so high. It's because it wasn't a popularity poll, it was a "Who do you want back?" poll. And people really wanted Talim back after she wasn't in Soul Calibur V. Same with Zasalamel.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I mean, I feel like in most groups if you asked if they knew Xenogears, they’d say, “You mean Xenoblade?”

Doesn’t mean Xenogears isn’t a series with its fans, but it’s definitely niche.

In terms of Smash chances, we seem to gravitate toward the big players, but Xenogears also seems like a pick that would make some sense. Not that I expect it anyway.

There are times when I think people overestimate the odds of a particular female character because they have boobs (yes, I realize that generalizes and probably judgmental), but it’s simply something I wouldn’t be surprised by.

The TRULY OFFENSIVE PART OF IT ALL, is that y’all support a sexy robut, but don’t ask for the sexiest MAN of all:

You mean Xenosaga? Because Xenogears is a 3rd thing... >_>

KillerCage

Smash Master
Is lawyer man dead yet?
He was spared from the Sabi slaughter.

I'm just surprised that Travis Touchdown is still in the running. That Ubisoft deconfirmation didn't completely knock my boy out. I would lowkey love No More Heroes, and bundling him with Shinobu Jacobs and/or his brother Sir Henry Cooldown would be a cool way to introduce DLC Echoes. Even for people who are unfamiliar with the series, at least one of those characters would have to be dope, right? Just look at them! D:

I mean... katana wielders with wrestling moves and laser beams shouldn't be the toughest thing to sell.
I believe Travis is owned by Marvelous, not Ubisoft.
I would be happy if he gets in.

Gotta say, just from skimming I have no idea what's going on today.
WE ARE GETTING HIGH ON NIGHTMARE!

the **** kind of BS claim is that?

i just think nightmare is cool

your best other option is ivy, and she'd get rejected faster than you can say mai shiranui
If Mia can't get into Smash, there is no way in HECK for Ivy to get in!
Have you seen the way she dresses!?

If we are talking about Nightmare in smash, FeliciaFans moveset is really really good
Would you mind giving us a link to this video?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I find it slightly amusing that half of the hyperbolic, joke suggestions allow me to go, "Eh, they were in PSO2 already."
The current event has us piloting mechs to help Shinji, Asuka, and Rei take down the 6th Angel... >_>
TIL Madoka crossed over with PSO2. I knew about the Madoka / Monster Hunter crossover, but this is news to me.

Nope, I was right; they're considered part of a wider 'Xeno' series. Kind of like how Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest works. They're different suffixes (numbered instead of Xeno) while the prefixes (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Xeno) remain constant

The Mechs being part of the lore would be the main constant throughout the series as it all started with Xenosaga for the PS1
If anything, should KOS-MOS get in, this mess would probably be handled the same way that Mario universe is in that Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenosaga would be classified as two separate series regardless of any connections between them unless it makes sense for KOS-MOS to have the Monado as her symbol.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
If that cat ""leak"" didn't pop up then no one would be entertaining KOS-MOS this much and giving her the time of day.
Not gonna lie, even as someone who supports her now, I distinctly remember seeing her support thread before the cat leak and thinking "idk why they'd put KOS-MOS in before Rex & Pyra", so I can agree with this. And yes, I know -saga and -blade are different, I just remember Past Me thinking this.

D

Deleted member

I mean, I feel like in most groups if you asked if they knew Xenogears, they’d say, “You mean Xenoblade?”

Doesn’t mean Xenogears isn’t a series with its fans, but it’s definitely niche.

In terms of Smash chances, we seem to gravitate toward the big players, but Xenogears also seems like a pick that would make some sense. Not that I expect it anyway.

Xenogears in Smash would be dope, Fei or Grahf would make cool characters. Fei having the Welltal to support him would be cool.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

No, they aren't. There's a reason Wikipedia is not an accepted source in anything official.

Lookit this:

Look at the first three rows, before the proto-echoes, third-parties, and DLC. The characters are broken up into two categories: series with multiple characters, and series with a single character (all of Mario seems to be treated as one unit). Now, Sakurai, being Sakurai, ordered these two categories by the debut of the series. Mario -> (DK maybe) -> Zelda -> Metroid, etc. for the series with multiple characters. The last one is Pokemon, the most recent with multiple characters. FE and KI precede it, even though they were added later to Smash.

The other category, the series with sole reps, is ordered the same. G&W -> Little Mac -> Duck Hunt -> ROB -> etc. all the way to Shulk, who is last. If Sakurai believed Shulk stemmed from the greater "Xeno" series (which isn't a thing), he'd have put him before Villager. Even if he started with Xenosaga, he would've put him before WFT.

"Xeno" is not a thing, at least for all intents and purposes in the Smash sphere.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Nightmare has been on my list since Brawl. I really hope he has a slot on the roster this time around.

Plank08

Smash Lord
He was spared from the Sabi slaughter.

I believe Travis is owned by Marvelous, not Ubisoft.
I would be happy if he gets in.

WE ARE HIGH ON NIGHTMARE!

If Mia can't get into Smash, there is no way in HECK for Ivy to get in!
Have you seen the way she dresses!?

Would you mind giving us a link to this video?
Sure thing bro
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTXeqXGnMj0

D

Deleted member

1. Talim - 862
2. Taki - 720
3. Mitsurugi - 594
4. Ivy - 536
5. Kilik - 536
6. Siegfried - 500
7. Nightmare - 498
8. Zasalamel - 471
9. Yoshimitsu - 454
10. Tira - 438
11. Sophitia - 378
12. Cassandra - 339
13. Amy - 311
14. Yun-seong - 295
15. Seong Mi-na - 291
16. Cervantes - 268
17. Voldo - 259
18. Xianghua - 257
19. Raphael - 254
20. Setsuka - 214
21. Viola - 201
22. Maxi - 199
23. Hwang - 193
24. Hilde - 154
25. Astaroth - 142
26. Z.W.E.I. - 113
27. Natsu - 100
28. Pyrrha - 98
29. Xiba - 81
30. Lizardman - 76
31. Rock - 71
32. Li Long - 65
33. Algol - 59
34. Dampierre - 54
35. Aeon - 52
36. Pyrrha Omega - 45
37. Patroklos - 32
38. Alpha Patroklos - 30
39. Soul Edge - 30
40. Leixia - 28
41. Abyss - 27
42. Charade - 27
43. Olcadan - 26
44. Elysium - 23
45. Edge Master - 15
Back up there, good sir!

This was a poll back before Soul Calibur VI that Namco did wanting to know which characters the players wanted back in a future game. That's why Talim is so high. It's because it wasn't a popularity poll, it was a "Who do you want back?" poll. And people really wanted Talim back after she wasn't in Soul Calibur V. Same with Zasalamel.
This was a poll back before Soul Calibur VI that Namco did wanting to know which characters the players wanted back in a future game.
Can I get an F for our boy Lizardman :c

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Really? What does that tell me when I have just shown you results? Talim was absent from SC5 and STILL outscored Nightmare.
I dont understand what you're trying to do, other than blatantly ignore being corrected

This was a poll back before Soul Calibur VI that Namco did wanting to know which characters the players wanted back in a future game. That's why Talim is so high. It's because it wasn't a popularity poll, it was a "Who do you want back?" poll.

D

Deleted member

Going to be honest regarding Nightmare, people seem to just dismiss the other characters from Soul Calibur that are either posterboys or postergirls, most popular ones or the central character.

Its one of the few series where you can make an argument about other characters, a lot of the roles Ryu, Heihachi, Sol have in their games are just divided in SC among various characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
people be arguing that KOS-MOS is the face of all Xeno and then yelling at Sakurai why she's got the Monado series icon :nifty: reap what you sow

KatKit

Smash Lord
Ok I'm back in this s***. Can someone provide a b**** a rundown of wtf happened since Resident Evil spitits? How many dreams were crushed since then? Thanks.

I saw an opening and I took it, haha.

Apparently, Ubisoft, Nihon Falcom, and Tales of was deconfirmed for FP5.

Soul Cal is in the spotlight for a bit, so let's relish this, fam.

Could accept Seong-Mi-na or Cervantes in a pinch, I guess...
Both are feasible.

Mina and Kilik could work as echoes of one another. The former was first but she can piggyback off of the latter's protagonist status. Mina is what got me into the series and 3D fighting games a whole.

Cervantes is a main recurring villain and the first wielder of Soul Edge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom