• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Or they'll just make Kingdom Hearts original characters Spirits.
Sorry I'm a bit confused so if anyone can clarify further, I'd get the whole picture here.

So what is considered SE property, and what is considered Disney property?

I thought KH overall belongs to Disney now, or only specific aspects of the series?

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Sorry I'm a bit confused so if anyone can clarify further, I'd get the whole picture here.

I thought KH overall belongs to Disney now, or only specific aspects of the series?
Disney Owns all original characters for Kingdom Hearts.

I'm not positive on the music, but SE and music go hand in hand with "legally ****ed"

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Square Enix content= Square Enix
Disney content= Disney
Original KH content= Disney

osby

Smash Obsessed

I think DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon knows more about this than me.

I'm just saying Sakurai doesn't have to add any classic Disney cartoon content to Smash. Kingdom Hearts has more than enough original characters to work with.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sora could be cool I guess, but I don't see the appeal for him as a fighter. I guess he's a mobile swordsman with a variety of spells / summons right?

If his normal combat incorporated Donald and Goofy I think that would be a lot of fun to work around with, but I don't really see a lot that strikes out to me as "interesting" gameplay-wise that he offers naturally alone. I see him designed by fans to be a Sheik-like take (combo-oriented with very few attacks with real kb) on a Swordfighter and iunno the concept is kinda new (Meta Knight and even Young Link short of have a similar idea in how their normals are treated) but doesn't sell the character to me.

While I have no interest in Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, or Fatal Fury; the characters all still boast fun and interesting gameplay that make them their own. I'm still happy they're in Smash, because they added a lot of new ways to play.

I'm just trying to figure out what the heck Sora can offer that should make me interested in the character.
The way I picture Sora is as a highly mobile/versatile fighter who is fast, combo-oriented, and, his gimmick, can change fighting styles on the fly via Form Change.

In terms of movement, he's got regular movement, Aerial Dodge/Double Flight, Dodge Roll, Quick Run, (Super)Glide, Teleportation, Airstep and Flowmotion, all of which could be used.

In terms of fighting styles, it depends on which Sora we use. If we use KH2 Sora, he's got Valor Form (Physical Attacks), Wisdom Form (Magic Attacks), Master Form (Physical and Magical Attacks with a lean towards Magic), and Final Form (Pretty much everything).

If we use KH3 Sora (which Disney probably would), he's got access to Second Form, Strike Form, Element Form, Guardian Form, Blitz Form, Rage Form, and Ultima Form, all of which offer their own unique abilities/fighting styles.

There's also the Command Gauge and Shotlocks, which offer a variety of powerful attacks that he could build up to.

The dude's got moveset potential in spades.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Disney owns it all(except the actual Final Fantasy characters obviously).

The question isn't what Disney owns, it's what Nintendo considers to be "non-video game" content, and thus, not eligible for Smash.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

TL;DR: Disney owns the Kingdom Hearts IP, and therefore all of the original characters in the series.

However, as a part of their agreement with Square Enix (or Square Enix owns the copyright or something) they have to get permission from Square Enix, Normura specifically, whenever they use Kingdom Hearts characters. Square Enix can just kind of use Kingdom Hearts characters whenever (see: KH's many crossovers with FF spinoffs).

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I once saw a person say they would hate if Sora got into Smash purely because he has TOO MUCH moveset potential, and they don't wanna hear people argue over what moves he should've had.

Which is, by far, the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sora could be cool I guess, but I don't see the appeal for him as a fighter. I guess he's a mobile swordsman with a variety of spells / summons right?

If his normal combat incorporated Donald and Goofy I think that would be a lot of fun to work around with, but I don't really see a lot that strikes out to me as "interesting" gameplay-wise that he offers naturally alone. I see him designed by fans to be a Sheik-like take (combo-oriented with very few attacks with real kb) on a Swordfighter and iunno the concept is kinda new (Meta Knight and even Young Link short of have a similar idea in how their normals are treated) but doesn't sell the character to me.

While I have no interest in Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, or Fatal Fury; the characters all still boast fun and interesting gameplay that make them their own. I'm still happy they're in Smash, because they added a lot of new ways to play.

I'm just trying to figure out what the heck Sora can offer that should make me interested in the character.
Well every game comes with its own bizarre set of unique quirks, but if Sora did get in you can expect a very mobile and light character with a heavy emphasis on aerial combos, magical explosions, lotta moves that propel him towards his target, barriers, shockwaves, flash step slashes... and a hell of a lot of keyblade spinning. Possibly the Final Fantasy spells on top of the weird KH specific spells?

And whatever ridiculous KH specific nonsense Sakurai wants to reference for his Down B

Overall, I'd just say Sora's a very stylish and flashy character that'd be really neat to see in a fighting game. He's a very frenetic character and he throws himself in his attacks in a way that's really freeform and smooth, almost like he's swimming in midair and propelling himself with sword stirkes, spinning and flipping everywhere.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Disney owns it all(except the actual Final Fantasy characters obviously).

The question isn't what Disney owns, it's what Nintendo considers to be "non-video game" content, and thus, not eligible for Smash.
Of course. I know Sakurai said he wanted only video game characters, and in that sense, Sora qualifies as one.

I brought up Disney owning KH (or maybe only parts of it?) because Disney being difficult, demanding, and probably highly expensive, to come to terms with could play a factor into why he may not be chosen over characters who would not require such a hurdle to get into Smash.

Edit: just saw tehponycorn's post and my original points' strength has been weakened. Nobody knows the red tape behind it, so it may cause potential issues. I guess we'll just have to see. All I know is, it's not easy to deal with a company as big as Disney, especially when it comes to licensing and rights.

TL;DR: Disney owns the Kingdom Hearts IP, and therefore all of the original characters in the series.

However, as a part of their agreement with Square Enix (or Square Enix owns the copyright or something) they have to get permission from Square Enix, Normura specifically, whenever they use Kingdom Hearts characters. Square Enix can just kind of use Kingdom Hearts characters whenever (see: KH's many crossovers with FF spinoffs).
Ah ok. I get it now. I thought there would be a lot of red tape involved, but if this is the case, then it may not be that difficult for him to get in.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Did Disney need to get permission for Kingdom Hearts V Cast?

Also if Disney owns the IP, they own the copyright. Square Enix isn't listed as a copyright holder on merchandise.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
In my opinion, I think that Sora would be a BIG improvement on the sword/magic user in Smash that we currently have with Hero and Robin!

He would be versatile, combo-heavy, amazing arial game! Don’t get me started if he gets a good most his move set from KHIII because sheesh! If you played Kingdom Hearts you would understand why a character would be a great addition to the roster! His move set alone would just be nuts!

Also, hey DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , glad to you back in the speculation scene! I’ve missed your memes and psychological posts!

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
In my opinion, I think that Sora would be a BIG improvement on the sword/magic user in Smash that we currently have with Hero and Robin!

He would be versatile, combo-heavy, amazing arial game! Don’t get me started if he gets a good most his move set from KHIII because sheesh! If you played Kingdom Hearts you would understand why a character would be a great addition to the roster! His move set alone would just be nuts!

Also, hey DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , glad to you back in the speculation scene! I’ve missed your memes and psychological posts!
I'm on break so I'll be here.

Not really tho. I gotta lose a Pokémon XG nuzlocke and I'd like to be done within the weekend.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
If Sora is a "Mickey Mouse Franchise" character...

What franchise is Kevin Keene from?
What franchise is Reiji Arisu from?
What franchise is Alice from?
What franchise is Ruby Heart from?

A crossover can be its own thing.

Not that I'm exactly on-board for Sora, but he's as much a video-game character as any other.
And his parent company being only marginally-invested in gaming shouldn't really matter either. Nickelodeon owns Tak these days, and I doubt anyone would argue against him based on that fact... For other reasons, sure, but I digress... >_>

The more curious property to me would be Parasite Eve.
The games tell original stories with original characters, but they're still technically sequels to the original book, so would that connection strike them down?
Then there's stuff like Suikoden; where does it stand?
With Dracula setting precedent, I don't think there'd be problems with re-interpretations of historical figures and myths, but would this really be the case? And where would that leave Zhao Yun, Oda Nobunaga, Saber Artoria, etc?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Damn, what a thing to wake up to! My condolences to all RE supporters - though I'll have to admit that I am quite happy about this revelation. Not only are the two only third-party characters that I want a bit more likely now (Phoenix and Amaterasu), but it also furthers my belief hope that FP5 is gonna be first-party.
I'm with you bro.

Speculation just doesn't seem to be as fun anymore with first party franchises and characters being so lowly esteemed in chance.

Takes away the joy of discovering new Nintendo franchises in a way.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Or they'll just make Kingdom Hearts original characters Spirits.
Are you sure about that? I mean, we didn't even get Cloud's Nomura art for his Spirits lol.

We don't know the context of why the art wasn't include, but still, food for thought.
- - - - -
The way I picture Sora is as a highly mobile/versatile fighter who is fast, combo-oriented, and, his gimmick, can change fighting styles on the fly via Form Change.

In terms of movement, he's got regular movement, Aerial Dodge/Double Flight, Dodge Roll, Quick Run, (Super)Glide, Teleportation, Airstep and Flowmotion, all of which could be used.

In terms of fighting styles, it depends on which Sora we use. If we use KH2 Sora, he's got Valor Form (Physical Attacks), Wisdom Form (Magic Attacks), Master Form (Physical and Magical Attacks with a lean towards Magic), and Final Form (Pretty much everything).

If we use KH3 Sora (which Disney probably would), he's got access to Second Form, Strike Form, Element Form, Guardian Form, Blitz Form, Rage Form, and Ultima Form, all of which offer their own unique abilities/fighting styles.

There's also the Command Gauge and Shotlocks, which offer a variety of powerful attacks that he could build up to.

The dude's got moveset potential in spades.
So... basically, sheik / joker with a real sword lol. I guess if the movement is interesting it counts, I literally mained a character in Wii U because of their unique mobility.
That's generally what I figured, aside from the stance stuff. But you're listing the amount of stances without telling me what they actually offer to the character. I don't know anything about KH or Sora, so I can't really build an idea of what to expect when you're essentially telling me "He has stuff to make him unique/interesting" without explaining why in particular that matters.
There are plenty of fighters that use Magical or Physical attacks in a variety of way, what does Sora do with these attributes to make him different? Just that he has the option to swap between them? What does that entail in the game? Does he gain new combo paths or is his entire kit just different?

Like all I'm getting from this is that he'd likely be nimble, have weak damage output, have strong combo game, probably very good off stage, and have access to a bunch of options arbitrarily.

Sounds like a very unfun opponent lol.

Well every game comes with its own bizarre set of unique quirks, but if Sora did get in you can expect a very mobile and light character with a heavy emphasis on aerial combos, magical explosions, lotta moves that propel him towards his target, barriers, shockwaves, flash step slashes... and a hell of a lot of keyblade spinning. Possibly the Final Fantasy spells on top of the weird KH specific spells?

And whatever ridiculous KH specific nonsense Sakurai wants to reference for his Down B

Overall, I'd just say Sora's a very stylish and flashy character that'd be really neat to see in a fighting game. He's a very frenetic character and he throws himself in his attacks in a way that's really freeform and smooth, almost like he's swimming in midair and propelling himself with sword stirkes, spinning and flipping everywhere.
So he's like a Sheik/Roy hybrid with some Jigglypuff mixed in?
He's supposed to zone break and target combo you, but he has a sword and should move like butter in the air. For the spells they'd probably have to be disjointed attacks, right? Projectiles (or at least, a variety of them) with his type of playstyle sounds like a bit much, no?

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I'm with you bro.

Speculation just doesn't seem to be as fun anymore with first party franchises and characters being so lowly esteemed in chance.

Takes away the joy of discovering new Nintendo franchises in a way.
Eh... Most Nintendo speculation tends to float around either secondary/tertiary members of existing franchises or 'the new hotness' anyway, so I don't know that there'd be much more to 'discover' even if it were more commonly-discussed.

Several of us will still bring up different Nintendo series here and there, but it never really leads anywhere unless it's related to 3 Houses, Astral Chain, or a few other 'gaps' in existing franchises. Discussions on those points do tend to take off (the former in particular)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I bet Wesker will have the most stars.

Who is the only one I'm convinced it wouldn't be. xD
Yehhh, Jill got one, Leon & Chris got two, and Wesker got three.

I like how the Spirit Event doesn't even help narrow down who would be made playable if RE did get a rep.
But, we did get this as the banner~

Not a great day for Jill.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Eh... Most Nintendo speculation tends to float around either secondary/tertiary members of existing franchises or 'the new hotness' anyway, so I don't know that there'd be much more to 'discover' even if it were more commonly-discussed.

Several of us will still bring up different Nintendo series here and there, but it never really leads anywhere unless it's related to 3 Houses, Astral Chain, or a few other 'gaps' in existing franchises. Discussions on those points do tend to take off (the former in particular)
Well honestly there's still quite a lot of "core" Nintendo characters left, even if they're secondary or tertiary namesakes.

There's: Dixie Kong, (Captain) Toad, Paper Mario, Impa, Skull Kid, Midna, Ganon, Funky Kong, Cranky Kong, Lyn, Slippy Toad, Elma, Rex, Isaac, Waluigi, any character from Rhythm Haven, Lip, any other token retro character honestly (Takamaru, Balloon Fighter.. you name it)...

And then of course Astral Chain and Tree Houses main characters.

There's a lot more to discuss honestly than just 3rd party characters. And I find it boring. Personal preference of course.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So he's like a Sheik/Roy hybrid with some Jigglypuff mixed in?
He's supposed to zone break and target combo you, but he has a sword and should move like butter in the air. For the spells they'd probably have to be disjointed attacks, right? Projectiles (or at least, a variety of them) with his type of playstyle sounds like a bit much, no?
Well we have Joker who's Sheik with Ganondorf duct-taped to his back and has a Pk Fire on steroids in addition to GUN so I think balance is out the window

It really depends on what they choose to draw from his source material and how they translate it into Smash.

What's cool about Sora is that his typical elementalspells function atypically, like fire summoning orbiting fireballs, lightning being a quick remote explosion, ice being a timed bomb, wind being a damage over time zone, on top of having a bunch of other weird spells that are unique to the games like balloons and such.
All of which can be balanced around damage, startup, endlag, resource management, etc.

In general though I think most of his magic is going to come built into his moveset like Ness than be their own moves crammed into the specials likes Hero. Sora often combines balls of lights, explosions, and shockwaves in his close combat so that's probably where you'll see most of his magic.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I would be excited for more 1st parties if Nintendo were willing to explore their abandoned or often ignored franchises like Rythem Paradise, Chibi Robo, Golden Sun and Advanced Wars.

With the way things are now, the only 1st party characters who have a chance are ones whose franchises are already in the game and that doesn’t interest me tbh. The only first party character I’d really be excited for is Officer Howard, since he is the only “new franchise” first party character who has a shot.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I would be excited for more 1st parties if Nintendo were willing to explore their abandoned or often ignored franchises like Rythem Paradise, Chibi Robo, Golden Sun and Advanced Wars.

With the way things are now, the only 1st party characters who have a chance are ones whose franchises are already in the game and that doesn’t interest me tbh. The only first party character I’d really be excited for is Officer Howard, since he is the only “new franchise” first party character who has a shot.
Hell yeah Howard would be awesome.

His entire moveset works so well in conjunction with his legion he'd be a damn near perfect fit.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I guess no one is safe anymore after this development. Your favorites could become spirits with the next event. Certainly makes them more interesting.
With Leon out of the running, I'm going all in on Chosen Undead.

D

Deleted member

I guess no one is safe anymore after this development. Your favorites could become spirits with the next event. Certainly makes them more interesting.
With Leon out of the running, I'm going all in on Chosen Undead.
I'm going all-in with KOS-MOS.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
The roster and the additions have been so fun/great thus far.

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for something Falcom related or Ryu Hayabusa haha, but even if I get neither i'm perfectly satisfied. Have been for awhile, but this crazy ride won't stop.

Garuda

Smash Ace
Yep, Crash will be a spirit, if that. Cool, thank you Sakurai. Impeccable taste. Just like Rayman.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yep, Crash will be a spirit, if that. Cool, thank you Sakurai. Impeccable taste. Just like Rayman.
bless sakurai for giving me bang bang pull my devil trigger instead of boring crash bandicoot

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I'm going all in on not going all in.

There's what I want, what I expect, and what we'll get, and while there's some possibility for crossover in the last 2, that doesn't say a whole lot, nor leave me very excited.
Since the former is right out, my best hope is for a complete surprise. Or... something at least outside of reasonable expectations, since I've considered so many weird options that I doubt anything could truly surprise me.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
As a Phoenix supporter, I fear that if he's not FP5, Dante will most likely take the "Capcom rep" slot in the Extra DLC. I like Dante and he totally deserves to be in (Especially so we can finally witness già dream marchio with Bayonetta), so it wouldn't sting that much... buuuut I'll still be kinda bummed about it.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm still thinking it's Tracer.
If not Tracer, Lloyd.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Oof, RE deconfirmed huh? And I was really pulling for the R3Make double reveal with Jill. Woulda been hype as heck. Well, Sakurai certainly is winning this match of 4D chess with the Smash bubble, I'll say that much. I got no idea anymore except maybe it really is someone people aren't expecting.

D

Deleted member

Hahahahahaha.

Geez, every leak is being shot left and right. Pretty much this character is gonna be someone no one even asked for.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
*Waking up, turns computer on, goes on internet*
fans: Resident Evil is Fighter 5!
Nintendo: LOL nope! Have some spirits instead!

OOF!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom