• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Also thinking about the Digimon is more known for its anime argument, weren't most of the Pokemon literally chosen because of the Pokemon anime's buzz?

:ultpikachu: - Literal iconic mascot so that's a given

:ultjigglypuff: - Has a running gag in the anime where she puts people to sleep, evident in her up-b

:ultmewtwo: - Not only is he the legendary, but there was the Pokemon movie starring him that was pretty loved at the time.

:ultlucario: - Had a movie

:ultgreninja: - Ash Greninja

:ultincineroar: - I know literally nothing about Gen 7 anime so this one is probably an exception.
Tbf Ash Greninja didn't exist when Sakurai chose Dat Boi, regular Greninja was still concept art by then

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Also thinking about the Digimon is more known for its anime argument, weren't most of the Pokemon literally chosen because of the Pokemon anime's buzz?

:ultjigglypuff: - Has a running gag in the anime where she puts people to sleep, evident in her up-b

:ultmewtwo: - Not only is he the legendary, but there was the Pokemon movie starring him that was pretty loved at the time.

:ultincineroar: - I know literally nothing about Gen 7 anime so this one is probably an exception.
incineroar is ash's pokemon

jigglypuff iirc was chosen partly because of anime popularity but also because she was easy to make from kirby's assets in smash 64

blackghost

Smash Champion
Don't care about Geno either. Banjo was cool but not crazy for me, and I honestly dislike most of what you mentioned except for Lara. Also wasn't talking about any "general public", I was sharing my own personal thoughts, which were that I greatly disliked Bayo and was disappointed Inklings didn't make it in.

I want Yuri Lowell, Octolings, and the Katamari Prince, lol. To each their own, though; I ain't gonna force my subjective opinions on anyone. We all got likes and dislikes.
it was pretty clear the inklings wouldnt get in because thier character mechanics arent supported in 4. i said this back in smash 4 dlc predictions the inklings signature is covering thier opponents in ink. that wasnt supported in smash 4. why did cloud and bayo get in as dlc? thier unique mechanics were coincidentally already in smash 4. The clock item had existed since brawl i.e. witch time. and the existence of equipment ment that cloud limit could easily agument his stats in game just tie it to a bar being filled. To game devs in game available assets matter especially when considering dlc.

What do you mean by "dislike?" dislike isnt disagree. objectivelly these frequently speculated on third parties may not be universally seen as icons but they are massive characters with dedicated fanbases. Dante, RE cast, lara, Lloyd and others have more movies/tv shows than some of the smash cast has games or game appearances.

D

Deleted member

Let's see on the possible scenarios about RE spirits shall we?
  1. Simply Sakurai didn't see a way to translate the series into Smash for this game at least
  2. There were other Capcom pick that ended up being more appealing
  3. Some Japanese Twitter users were commenting about CERO and that it could have been difficult to pass RE outside spirits
  4. There pass has a clear end, RE is a Rex situation where they just missed the game and Sakurai wanted to represent RE in some way

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Let's see on the possible scenarios about RE spirits shall we?
  1. Simply Sakurai didn't see a way to translate the series into Smash for this game at least
  2. There were other Capcom pick that ended up being more appealing
  3. Some Japanese Twitter users were commenting about CERO and that it could have been difficult to pass RE outside spirits
  4. There pass has a clear end, RE is a Rex situation where they just missed the game and Sakurai wanted to represent RE in some way
For 3, if the spirits themselves can get in with guns, I don’t believe CERO is much of an issue. I could definitely see 1 as a possibility, as I believe I heard (unsourced as of now) that Sakurai has stated that Snake was the hardest character to envision due to his more grounded and less-flashy nature. Both Snake and a Resi rep would share the same “human with gun” archetype, so I could see difficulties arising. For 2, if we were getting another Capcom rep so soon, why not keep off the Resi spirits until then?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Jigglypuff was chosen due to it sharing a similar body to Kirby. Ash' Incineroar only became a thing in the last episodes of the Sun and Moon anime. Mewtwo was one of the most popular requests from Smash 64 in that old poll from Nintendo.
For 3, if the spirits themselves can get in with guns, I don’t believe CERO is much of an issue. I could definitely see 1 as a possibility, as I believe I heard (unsourced as of now) that Sakurai has stated that Snake was the hardest character to envision due to his more grounded and less-flashy nature. Both Snake and a Resi rep would share the same “human with gun” archetype, so I could see difficulties arising. For 2, if we were getting another Capcom rep so soon, why not keep off the Resi spirits until then?
Guns might have been less of an issue and more the survival horror content of the series that it would have brought with that might not have sit well with the ratings board, hope Sakurai mentions them in a column to get an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Y'all are gonna look real silly when the Capcom character ends up being Viewtiful Joe
aw yes viewtiful joe a character with three jumps, time slow powers, vicious hand to hand combos, and over the top style.....

wait. we've been here before.
*deja vu starts playing in the background*

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Well, unless Phoenix ends up being the Capcom character; I think it is safe to rule capcom out for FP 5.

That said, I'm surprised there are 0 Ace Attorney spirits in Smash considering it is the most "Nintendo" Capcom franchise.
Don't jinx us till he's in man!...Or woman..whichever it is!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

The Pichu Brothers used to be a thing in the anime.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that virtual pets count as video games because they are not that different from a Game & Watch, as both are LCD systems. If Mr. Game & Watch can get in, then Agumon can too.

D

Deleted member

Jigglypuff was chosen due to it sharing a similar body to Kirby. Ash' Incineroar only became a thing in the last episodes of the Sun and Moon anime. Mewtwo was one of the most popular requests from Smash 64 in that old poll from Nintendo.
Hm. Well I'll throw that theory out then.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think that virtual pets count as video games because they are not that different from a Game & Watch, as both are LCD systems. If Mr. Game & Watch can get in, then Agumon can too.
But you see Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. are acceptable exceptions because they're pieces of Nintendo history and an anime isn't their only claim to fame.

/sarcasm

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But you see Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. are acceptable exceptions because they're pieces of Nintendo history and an anime isn't their only claim to fame.

/sarcasm
However, Sakurai wouldn't think like that unless he's literally never heard of Digimon outside of Adventure, which I highly doubt.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Don't rule Capcom out just yet. Even if they're not #5, we could always get:

- Frank West
- Amaterasu
- Arthur / Firebrand
- Mike Haggar
- Monster Hunter (unlikely, but who knows)
- Phoenix Wright
- Viewtiful Joe
- Demitri

Capcom is more than Resident Evil and DMC. There are many ways this can go.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This one Is likley Fake considering sabi saying only a select few know who 5 is but they don’t want to share who it is.
I know you want her but 4chan leaks don’t always make this character likley.
Yeah. I don't believe that KOS-MOS has a decent chance unless credible leakers deconfirm Agumon or any Digimon character.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Don't rule Capcom out just yet. Even if they're not #5, we could always get:

- Frank West
- Amaterasu
- Arthur / Firebrand
- Mike Haggar
- Monster Hunter (unlikely, but who knows)
- Phoenix Wright
- Viewtiful Joe
- Demitri

Capcom is more than Resident Evil and DMC. There are many ways this can go.
Considering that Capcom fans don't want Frank West in MvC I really hope they don't go with him in Smash.

Yeah. I don't believe that KOS-MOS has a decent chance unless credible leakers deconfirm Agumon or any Digimon character.
Honestly I'd say not getting a Namco character is tons more likely than KOS-MOS being added.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that some people are just desperate for a female character to be announced for DLC.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Considering that Capcom fans don't want Frank West in MvC I really hope they don't go with him in Smash.
I was not aware of this. What do people have against Frank? Was he annoying to fight against or something?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Guns might have been less of an issue and more the survival horror content of the series that it would have brought with that might not have sit well with the ratings board, hope Sakurai mentions them in a column to get an idea.
Well if its the content of the series that matters then I guess DOOM's screwed even for after the Pass.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I was not aware of this. What do people have against Frank? Was he annoying to fight against or something?
It might be a case of "I hear one person say this and now I think everyone feels this way"...

...You know what? That probably is the case. I don't really remember why I thought people didn't like Frank West. (Another possibility is just people being bitter about x character getting in instead of y character.)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Mike Haggar one of the front runners for a Beat-em-up character

From what I see they are-

Final Fight: Haggar, Guy and Cody (can't be echos/alts of each other)
River City/Kunio-kun: Kunio, Riki, Misako and Kyoko (Could be echos/alts)
Double Dragon: Bimmy Billy and Jimmy (Could be echos/alts)
Battle Toads: Rash, Pimple and Zitz (could be echos/alts)
Viewtiful Joe: Err... Viewtiful Joe, Sexy Silvia (wearing tights) (could be echos/alts)
Castle Crashers: Red Knight, Blue Knight, Yellow Knight, Green KNight, Grey Knight, Pink Knight (Obvious alts)

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
it was pretty clear the inklings wouldnt get in because thier character mechanics arent supported in 4. i said this back in smash 4 dlc predictions the inklings signature is covering thier opponents in ink. that wasnt supported in smash 4. why did cloud and bayo get in as dlc? thier unique mechanics were coincidentally already in smash 4. The clock item had existed since brawl i.e. witch time. and the existence of equipment ment that cloud limit could easily agument his stats in game just tie it to a bar being filled. To game devs in game available assets matter especially when considering dlc.

What do you mean by "dislike?" dislike isnt disagree. objectivelly these frequently speculated on third parties may not be universally seen as icons but they are massive characters with dedicated fanbases. Dante, RE cast, lara, Lloyd and others have more movies/tv shows than some of the smash cast has games or game appearances.
I was just talking about who I wanted in Smash and who I don't want. I could really care less how much merch DMC, Bayo and others have; I don't like 'em. :drshrug:

I'm just sharing my own views and taste, which isn't objective at all. My original point was that not everyone likes the same things. Of course Bayo has fans, but that doesn't really affect my view on the character.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Honestly I'd say not getting a Namco character is tons more likely than KOS-MOS being added.
It would be hilarious if Frank was the Capcom rep out of all the options

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But if they didn't want to put in Resi characters cause of Survival Horror within the game, then Doomguy definitely can't get in cause that series is much more gory.
They can easily get rid of it, like they got rid of all the sexual stuff involving Bayonetta.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
They can easily get rid of it, like they got rid of all the sexual stuff involving Bayonetta.
But that doesn't matter if the content of the series prevents him from getting in. The sheer blood and gore of the series far outpaces anything currently in Smash, even the other M-Rated series. They could have easily put Resi there too and the content of the series prevented it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think it makes sense Resident Evil wouldn't pass the CERO rating, if that was the reason as to why. It has literal zombies with rotten and torn skin and muscle, wounds, everything really. Notice how little spirits we got for the series, only being relegated to major characters. Maybe they could have just cut zombies and bloody enemies out and resorted to, like, the village people in RE 4 or any other campy enemy like hunters or giant snakes. I'm just spitballing.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The cat leak has a TON of evidence going for it, along with a Rule of Three as discussed.

View attachment 248316
I cannot get over how this whole thing feels like it was written by a specific Smashboards user, complete with the weird notions that Bayonetta wasn't a hype pick and that Hayabusa is "the last NES icon not in Smash" when Ninja Gaiden started on the arcades and even if we count him characters like Kunio and Billy/Jimmy Lee and Bill Rizer and the Battletoads still exist.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Mike Haggar one of the front runners for a Beat-em-up character

From what I see they are-

Final Fight: Haggar, Guy and Cody (can't be echos/alts of each other)
River City/Kunio-kun: Kunio, Riki, Misako and Kyoko (Could be echos/alts)
Double Dragon: Bimmy Billy and Jimmy (Could be echos/alts)
Battle Toads: Rash, Pimple and Zitz (could be echos/alts)
Viewtiful Joe: Err... Viewtiful Joe, Sexy Silvia (wearing tights) (could be echos/alts)
Castle Crashers: Red Knight, Blue Knight, Yellow Knight, Green KNight, Grey Knight, Pink Knight (Obvious alts)
I will not tolerate this Streets of Rage erasure.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
This one Is likley Fake considering sabi saying only a select few know who 5 is but they don’t want to share who it is.
I know you want her but 4chan leaks don’t always make this character likley.
Yep, that's true; but the thing to note is that it hasn't been deconfirmed since September, and no insiders have come out to deconfirm KOS-MOS either.

Also you're right that most 4chan leaks aren't true, but the original cat leak was definitely true. While it is possible that this guy is just a ripoff of the original cat leaker, it hasn't been proven. Also the last time that cat image was used before the KOS-MOS leak was on June 30th (unrelated to Smash). So it's not a very well known image either.

Is the leak PROBABLY false? YES!

Is the leak DEFINITELY false? NO!

Personally, I think KOS-MOS has a worse shot then Lloyd/Yuri and Heihachi/Kazuya; but I think that she has a better shot then Nightmare, Agumon, and Chosen Undead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom