• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Why does there need to be reason that RE didn't get a rep? It could have just been simply that Sakurai would have rather had a different capcom character. There's already characters from very mature games in there. Bayonetta is very explicitly sexual, and even Joker's game deals with sexual harassment. I don't think RE characters being spirits has an affect on Doomguy's chances.
I was replying to Ryumo's reasoning.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Sorry but I don't buy Resident Evil characters can't translate to Smash.
Don't get me wrong, I can understand Sakurai having some problems in implementing Jill/Leon/Chris in the game. That probably happens frequently with most characters, I don't believe all the development process for each character is 100% smooth and easy. But in a game where we have a playable plant or Duck Hunt duo, I don't think RE can't work in Smash.

I mean, we're discussing Phoenix Wright as the potential frontrunner for a Capcom rep. I like him and I want it in Smash but he wouldn't be less strange or complicated to make him work for Smash than Leon or Jill.
He was in Marvel vs Capcom, but characters like Chris, Nemesis or Jill also appeared there.
Well, I mean we honestly don't know the reason. It might not be too complicated, but maybe it just didn't feel unique, fun, or true enough to the character. We do have Snake with lots of projectiles. Plant and Duck Hunt are really out there, but their movesets are quite unique. Phoenix's moveset is open to a lot of interpretation being a lawyer and all, as opposed to the ammunition and firearm-focused RE. Keep in mind I'm just spitballing.
#3 is basically everyone's dream right now.
Speak for yourself, yo.

osby

Smash Obsessed
By the way, "this character can't be in Smash because Sakurai wants to be loyal to the source material" argument pops around quite a lot lately and... it doesn't make sense.

You have PAC-MAN using random arcade game references, Belmonts and Heroes utilizing moves from their whole franchises and Joker having a Smash-specific super mode.

Sakurai can reference to origin games and take artistic liberties. I think a lot of people willfully ignore this to shut the support of characters they dislike miss this.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
One option I don't think we're considering is that there might not be a Capcom character in the first place.

I'm honestly not quite sure why they specifically got high in speculation when companies like Bamco are also pretty viable for characters too, TBH.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
By the way, "this character can't be in Smash because Sakurai wants to be loyal to the source material" argument pops around quite a lot lately and... it doesn't make sense.

You have PAC-MAN using random arcade game references, Belmonts and Heroes utilizing moves from their whole franchises and Joker having a Smash-specific super mode.

Sakurai can reference to origin games and take artistic liberties. I think a lot of people willfully ignore this to disconfirm characters they dislike miss this.
Not to mention RE is super easy to adapt. Magnum and Shotgun based specials that are limited, slow speed and decent at best frame data on normals, bad recovery, maybe limited herbs for healing instead of a proper recovery, etc

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The only thing that Resident Evil spirits confirm is Jill and Leon are being saved Nintendo vs Capcom:4pacman:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Sakurai can reference to origin games and take artistic liberties. I think a lot of people willfully ignore this to disconfirm characters they dislike miss this.
Reminds me of people saying Steve can’t work because “muh animations” despite Minecraft’s simple animations not being intended for any canonical reason and Mojang themselves even using more expressive animations in trailers and in Dungeons, as if the simple animations would’ve been a problem anyway or as if Sakurai and his team couldn’t have made new ones like they do for every character (even Game & Watch, even if he still matches the old G&W style for obvious reasons). They’re even making Minecraft characters ingame at least somewhat more expressive now with blinking, gestures, and face customization.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sakurai can reference to origin games and take artistic liberties. I think a lot of people willfully ignore this to shut the support of characters they dislike miss this.
Also Ness using attacks he can't learn, Incineroar's side-b being completely made up with no basis in the actual games, and Captain Falcon and the space animals in general.
Smash has never been a stranger to taking liberties with the source material, I'm sure they could've made an RE character work if they had to.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I think this gif is a nice summary of recent events in the speculation cycle.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Not just after Incineroar joined Smash, but after Ash finally won a league. In the tail end of the SM anime.
I feel bad for people who wanted Torracat to evolve. It did, but never got a formal battle in its form and was stuck to background cameos until it went off to the purgatory that is Oak's lab (well, Kukui's in this case) in a post-Gen 4 season. It's almost a monkey's paw situation.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Honestly Nintendo should cancel the rest of the DLC since Banjo-Kazooie completes the roster.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I feel bad for people who wanted Torracat to evolve. It did, but never got a formal battle in its form and was stuck to background cameos until it went off to the purgatory that is Oak's lab (well, Kukui's in this case) in a post-Gen 4 season. It's almost a monkey's paw situation.
It feels like they had a lot more time regarding Greninja. Its Smash moveset includes things that only it could do and not any other ninja, and it's Ash's ace with its own unique form. Compare this to Incineroar, whose Smash incarnation might as well be named "moveset_wrestler" and appearance on Ash's team is minor.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly Nintendo should cancel the rest of the DLC since Banjo-Kazooie completes the roster.
I can't believe Sakurai's gonna cut Banjo to add more fighters.

Their sacrifice won't be forgotten.

D

Deleted member

When your post gets liked by one of the sites' most infamous trolls I'm not sure if it means you've made it or you need to reconsider your life decisions
I'm leaning towards the latter though

KatKit

Smash Lord
Y'all are all like "Namco, niche, 1st party, or existing company getting another rep," for FP5, when we could very well end up getting a huge game changer from a company that doesn't have any playable characters yet.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
When your post gets liked by one of the sites' most infamous trolls I'm not sure if it means you've made it or you need to reconsider your life decisions
I'm leaning towards the latter though
I didn’t even know you could still like things while banned

Via Warnings, of course. If you’re Banned Via Administration you literally can’t do ****

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
In light of the FP #5 exodus from the past couple of days, who do you guys think is the most likely character now before any more deconfirmations happen? I'm betting on Lloyd or Chosen Undead atm.

D

Deleted member

I didn’t even know you could still like things while banned

Via Warnings, of course. If you’re Banned Via Administration you literally can’t do ****
JDS will always be watching over us, he's a guardian angel protecting us from the anime swordfighters

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In light of the FP #5 exodus from the past couple of days, who do you guys think is the most likely character now before any more deconfirmations happen? I'm betting on Lloyd or Chosen Undead atm.
Bandai Namco Rep in general seems safe.

I do feel like Verge is prolly gonna deconfirm more full companies in the next few days... better watch out, Marvelous and Arc System Works, I have a feeling you two are next on the chopping block

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Currently leaning towards 2B or a Bamco character like Lloyd or Heihachi. Reimu is also a possible curve ball pick I'm not discounting as well.

As for what's coming post-pass, hard to say. I think Phoenix is lookin' pretty darn good, but he also has to compete with Dante so who knows how that'll end up if Capcom gets another character.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Y'all are all like "Namco, niche, 1st party, or existing company getting another rep," for FP5, when we could very well end up getting a huge game changer from a company that doesn't have any playable characters yet.
Honestly, which “game changer” companies don’t have characters yet? The only one I can think of at the moment is Sony, but a Sony rep seems unlikely to begin with.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Honestly, which “game changer” companies don’t have characters yet? The only one I can think of at the moment is Sony, but a Sony rep seems unlikely to begin with.
Id argue that From deserves to cemented into the video game hall of fame. "The Dark Souls of _____ " is gaming terminology just like "Metroidvania"

And while we already have Microsoft in Smash, Master Chief is the perfect representation of the birth of console online gaming (or at least it becoming mainstream).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Blizzard maybe? I know Tracer is considered to be disconfimred and the company itself isn't very fondly looked on nowadays but Warcraft and Diablo are still on the table even if the chance is small.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Blizzard maybe? I know Tracer is considered to be disconfimred but Warcraft and Diablo are still on the table even if the chance is small.
Ehhhhhh

Given the actual controversy surrounding Blizzard as a whole, I don’t think we’ll be getting a Blizzard rep anytime soon...

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
How’s would you react if
All the characters Vergeben denied as DLC #5 are all confirmed to have future Spirit Board events?
Major oof for Doom Guy and Gordon... But that means Cortez can take over. TIME. TO. SPLIT.

Strong disagree here. While it's true that Sakurai can take some creative liberties as he said with Terry with his Up air and Aerial Power Wave, He did reject Heihachi for being difficult to implement. If it doesn't matter if Sakurai is true to the source material or not, why did he stop Heihachi from being in Smash 4 if he could just take creative liberties to make him work? Probably because he wanted to keep him true to the Tekken series as much as he could.

So I argue that Sakurai does pick characters based on how well he can keep them true to the series they come from. It may not be the case for First Party characters but third party characters it is. Even with Pac-Man, lots of his moves are based on the Pac-Maze and Pac-Land games like the Smash attacks, Neutral- B, Side-B and Down-B. The only odd one out is his Up-B based on Mappy. Shame that he uses nothing from the Pac-Man World games though.

D

Deleted member

Ehhhhhh

Given the actual controversy surrounding Blizzard as a whole, I don’t think we’ll be getting a Blizzard rep anytime soon...
Edited my post to reflect that but if a Blizzard character were fighter 5 I don't think their recent ****ups would have any effect on it since it would've already been decided on way before.
Post pass though? Yeah they have zero ****in chance.

SKX31

Smash Master
Blizzard maybe? I know Tracer is considered to be disconfimred but Warcraft and Diablo are still on the table even if the chance is small.
*Looks over to Starcraft 64, especially Kerrigan / Zeratul.

Especially given Korea's legendary love for StarCraft.*

I wouldn't be that sure the scandal affects Blizzard's chances so much given that Nintendo rewarded Konami with the Belmonts + Snake returning despite (or even ignoring) the Kojima / Del Toro scandal. And then there's Nintendo's dealings with Tencent...

(Not against Raynor, in fact for him, I'm just way more interested in those two)

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
*Looks over to Starcraft 64, especially Kerrigan / Zeratul.

Especially given Korea's legendary love for StarCraft.*

I wouldn't be that sure the scandal affects Blizzard's chances so much given that Nintendo rewarded Konami with the Belmonts + Snake returning despite (or even ignoring) the Kojima / Del Toro scandal. And then there's Nintendo's dealings with Tencent...

(Not against Raynor, in fact for him, I'm just way more interested in those two)
What Blizzard did was way worse than that.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Warcraft in Smash would be unbelievable. What character would they go with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom