• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Yep, that's true; but the thing to note is that it hasn't been deconfirmed since September, and no insiders have come out to deconfirm KOS-MOS either.

Also you're right that most 4chan leaks aren't true, but the original cat leak was definitely true. While it is possible that this guy is just a ripoff of the original cat leaker, it hasn't been proven. Also the last time that cat image was used before the KOS-MOS leak was on June 30th (unrelated to Smash). So it's not a very well known image either.

Is the leak PROBABLY false? YES!

Is the leak DEFINITELY false? NO!

Personally, I think KOS-MOS has a worse shot then Lloyd/Yuri and Heihachi/Kazuya; but I think that she has a better shot then Nightmare.
To be fair, that one Phoenix leak technically hasn’t been deconfirmed either, no matter how unlikely it is to be true. Though, it’s a bit odd this one hasn’t gotten any traction or shoutouts by leakers while the Ryu/Terry one did.
C23C1F7C-6AC0-4B56-B201-CEAD43DFB7A2.png

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
alright so I have a lot to say about this RE thing:
After watching papagenos video, Jill was considered but didn’t end up planning out:
Now I’ve never said this in Smashboards but I always thought RE wouldn’t work in smash, in RE you only have limited fighting options and are trying every thing you can not to fight, put that in a fighting game like smash where Sakurai tries to make things as accurate as possible and it just doesn’t work.
So I think we should still be looking at our bigger franchises here, (Maybe Kratos won’t we get Sackboy idk wishful thinking)
Maybe we should look more close at how games work and if they would be a good fit for smash, every character has potential, but it’s the type of potential thats important.
Also our only Capcom options are Phoinex and Dante so get hyped.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I will not tolerate this Streets of Rage erasure.

It would be amazing to see either Axel or Blaze after the Fighters Pass! Streets of Rage needs more love and attention from Sega!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
After watching papagenos video, Jill was considered but didn’t end up planning out:
Now I’ve never said this in Smashboards but I always thought RE wouldn’t work in smash, in RE you only have limited fighting options and are trying every thing you can not to fight, put that in a fighting game like smash where Sakurai tries to make things as accurate as possible and it just doesn’t work.
So I think we should still be looking at our bigger franchises here, (Maybe Kratos won’t we get Sackboy idk wishful thinking)
Maybe we should look more close at how games work and if they would be a good fit for smash, every character has potential, but it’s the type of potential thats important.
To be fair Resident evil characters have showed up in fighting games before, so they could just use the moveset from those games as a base.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Don't rule Capcom out just yet. Even if they're not #5, we could always get:

- Frank West
- Amaterasu
- Arthur / Firebrand
- Mike Haggar
- Monster Hunter (unlikely, but who knows)
- Phoenix Wright
- Viewtiful Joe
- Demitri

Capcom is more than Resident Evil and DMC. There are many ways this can go.
Even if we believe Morrigan can't get in despite Mai's issue likely being a panty shot issue, Demitri's never happening because Sakurai would feel it's wrong to have him and no Midnight Bliss, which is a ****ton of work for every character and would need to be approved by all third parties involved

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I honestly feel as though Morrigan could work for smash, if Bayonetta could work with some tweaks I think the same could be done to Morrigan.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Well, I didn't see that coming. Resident Evil was my personal bet for Fighter's Pass #5, and having Leon or Jill join the battle would've been very cool. At least the series is getting some representation.

I honestly think Fighter #5 is a Namco character that this point. It feels like every other noteworthy candidate has been taken out of the running somehow. My heart says Heihachi or Sophitia, but my brain says Lloyd.

KatKit

Smash Lord
It would be amazing to see either Axel or Blaze after the Fighters Pass! Streets of Rage needs more love and attention from Sega!
I'll take any character, but especially Blaze. Homegirl was not only the inspiration for other characters in her series:

But she's also the inspiration for characters outside of it:

She's part of the reason I gravitate toward speedy, flippy, kicky types in almost every game. She's one of the OG's of the archetype.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
IMO there's at least three theories as to who or what #5 may be:

1. A Namco character since they're overdue for a 2nd rep and it'd make sense for them to get a new character.

2. A character almost no one talks about or people gloss over or think is "Unlikely", "Niche", or "Obscure".

3. Somehow a previously deconfirmed character who gets in, shocking everyone.

#3 is unlikely but I like to keep all options on the table and all of these make some amount of sense.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I've pretty much been saying that Yuri/Lloyd are in since day 1, so I'm going to stick with those two.

KOS-MOS/Tekken rep are unlikely due to some other reasons, but I could see them getting in.

I think Nightmare/Agumon/Klonoa/Chosen Undead are unlikely due to multiple other reasons.

So, I'm sticking with a Tales of rep/KOS-MOS/Tekken rep as the most likely.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
You shouldn't sleep on Amaterasu's chances either, she may surprise us all
I'll take any character, but especially Blaze. Homegirl was not only the inspiration for other characters in her series:

But she's also the inspiration for characters outside of it:

She's part of the reason I gravitate toward speedy, flippy, kicky types in almost every game. She's one of the OG's of the archetype.
So, pun intended?

But yeah I'm the same, give me a fast, and agile characters with a lot of kicks in their moveset.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

1. A Namco character since they're overdue for a 2nd rep and it'd make sense for them to get a new character.

2. A character almost no one talks about or people gloss over or think is "Unlikely", "Niche", or "Obscure".

#3 is unlikely but I like to keep all options on the table and all of these make some amount of sense.
I'm leaning towards #2 because Terry, Joker, and Hero were all a thing; Terry and Hero only being talked about because they were leaked.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I hope it's number 2! I think we all need a "Who is this" character to really liven up the speculation scene a bit. It's getting a bit samey around here since multiple characters have been deconfirmed from Fighter 5.

Also for my dude Sgt. Cortez!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I'm thinking it might probably going to be 2 as well. Leaks aside, the fighters pass has generally been full of surprises and unexpected character inclusions that weren't talked about much initially (besides Banjo & Kazooie)

Here's hoping for my boy Layton.....

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The Pichu Brothers used to be a thing in the anime.
Pretty much every Pokemon has been a thing in the anime at least once. I think he's saying more that they were actually IMPORTANT in the anime.

and that Hayabusa is "the last NES icon not in Smash" when Ninja Gaiden started on the arcades
Look man, you don't have to have started on the NES to be an NES icon. Mario started in arcades too, that doesn't make him any less of an NES icon.

and even if we count him characters like Kunio and Billy/Jimmy Lee and Bill Rizer and the Battletoads still exist.
All of this though, 100%.

And Golden Axe, Captain Commando. Splatterhouse
C'mon dude. Nobody would even remember Captain Commando if he wasn't in MvC. It'd be right there next to Armored Warriors or Battle Circuit.

Goldenaxe is a possibility. Sega likes to put Gilius into it's other crossovers.

Last edited:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
But if they didn't want to put in Resi characters cause of Survival Horror within the game, then Doomguy definitely can't get in cause that series is much more gory.
Why does there need to be reason that RE didn't get a rep? It could have just been simply that Sakurai would have rather had a different capcom character. There's already characters from very mature games in there. Bayonetta is very explicitly sexual, and even Joker's game deals with sexual harassment. I don't think RE characters being spirits has an affect on Doomguy's chances.

SKX31

Smash Master
Anything happen since last night?
Not much at all. The closest I can think off is this:

A few caveats in the comments:

It may not be actually authentic, as some Weibo accounts pointed out. I have my doubts too, since the font for "Shanghai" isn't exactly the ones Nintendo use often on blurbs, and the board looks beaten up. Still, if this is just for blocking a construction site then...
AFAIK there hasn't been a denial of it at all, so could be something still.

And Golden Axe, Captain Commando. Splatterhouse
Shame Splatterhouse (and Dead Rising) fall under the same category as RE (that is, would raise the rating likely because of the zombies).

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
How’s would you react if
All the characters Vergeben denied as DLC #5 are all confirmed to have future Spirit Board events?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think people are jumping the gun with RE and age rating.

Just because it didn't get anything more than Spirits doesn't necessarily mean it was due to guns or gore, unless there were M-rated Rayman games I don't know about.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sorry but I don't buy Resident Evil characters can't translate to Smash.
Don't get me wrong, I can understand Sakurai having some problems in implementing Jill/Leon/Chris in the game. That probably happens frequently with most characters, I don't believe all the development process for each character is 100% smooth and easy. But in a game where we have a playable plant or Duck Hunt duo, I don't think RE can't work in Smash.

I mean, we're discussing Phoenix Wright as the potential frontrunner for a Capcom rep. I like him and I want it in Smash but he wouldn't be less strange or complicated to make him work for Smash than Leon or Jill.
He was in Marvel vs Capcom, but characters like Chris, Nemesis or Jill also appeared there.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How’s would you react if
All the characters Vergeben denied as DLC #5 are all confirmed to have future Spirit Board events?
1. Would feel a little sad over the loss of Dante but have renewed hope for Phoenix Wright
2. Would be confused in Geno’s case as Geno and Mallow are already base game Spirits
3. Everyone else, meh tbh

cothero

Smash Lord

#3 is basically everyone's dream right now.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think people are jumping the gun with RE and age rating.

Just because it didn't get anything more than Spirits doesn't necessarily mean it was due to guns or gore, unless there were M-rated Rayman games I don't know about.
But, you see, Joker’s gun totally doesn’t look like a real gun, Persona and the other rated M series that are in Smash are totally fine for small children, and CERO definitely cares a whole lot even if there’s no blood!

meant this humorously, please don’t take it as rude anyone.

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I was just thinking, isn't the whole "deconfirmed" for being fighter #5 list based on the name of a character this one source has heard? For all we know he may have heard some leakbait name (one more reason to be hesitant to share it with others) and all the characters supposedly deconfirmed for now are actually still in the running.

I'm not saying this definitely is the case but it's something to keep in mind I think.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Who owns Sora?
Disney.
He is a Disney character first and foremost.
I know that's hard to swallow, but until Sora is revealed, I put his chances at lower even than Kratos.
I don't hate him; I'm indifferent. But Sora is simply strung too tightly to the Disney universe for me to even consider him possible.
He may be owned by Disney but he isn’t a Disney character and ESPECIALLY isn’t a spinoff
Kingdom Hearts is its very own thing, and Sora is the main character of that thing, he may be owned by Disney but he is still a video game character first and foremost, Kindom hearts wasn’t used to advertise a movie, it just features Disney characters, this argument is dumb.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I was just thinking, isn't the whole "deconfirmed" for being fighter #5 list based on the name of a character this one source has heard? For all we know he may have heard some leakbait name (one more reason to be hesitant to share it with others) and all the characters supposedly deconfirmed for now are actually still in the running.

I'm not saying this definitely is the case but it's something to keep in mind I think.
*gasp* You mean nobodies deconfirming characters might not mean anything? What a novel line of thinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom