• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
EVERYONE always says this but the ONLY, SINGLE EXAMPLE we have of Nintendo ending Smash DLC is BAYO-MOTHERF****N-NETTA. I dont care about base roster reveals.

I DARE anyone to try and tell me that Bayonetta wasn't a giant tactical nuke of a reveal to end Sm4sh DLC.

Hype is subjective.

I hated Bayo. :drshrug:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Here we are for the Dante stuff. Not as much as a killshot as it sounded like at first but I don't think it's good for his chances

NOTE: Ignore what I said above. He's deconfirmed and Im a dumb ass

Dante.PNG

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
EVERYONE always says this but the ONLY, SINGLE EXAMPLE we have of Nintendo ending Smash DLC is BAYO-MOTHERF****N-NETTA. I dont care about base roster reveals.

I DARE anyone to try and tell me that Bayonetta wasn't a giant tactical nuke of a reveal to end Sm4sh DLC.
For better or worse. As far as I saw Bayonetta did get a big reaction, but it was an extremely negative one.

Here we are for the Dante stuff. Not as much as a killshot as it sounded like at first but I don't think it's good for his chances
He straight up says that he's on the list of characters that won't be the fifth character in the fighter's pass. He's just as likely as ever for the post pass characters but he's 100% disconfirmed for the fifth DLC slot unless "sabi's source" is a load of crap, which could honestly be the case.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
For better or worse. As far as I saw Bayonetta did get a big reaction, but it was an extremely negative one.

He straight up says that he's on the list of characters that won't be the fifth character in the fighter's pass. He's just as likely as ever for the post pass characters but he's 100% disconfirmed for the fifth DLC slot unless "sabi's source" is a load of crap, which could honestly be the case.
Yep, noticed that right after I posted it. I can't read today

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Seems like FP #5 will be from a series that is well-known. So a good chance we could be getting Dark Souls next.
He didn't say the character wasn't niche, Just that he said that one of the Niche companies wasn't FP5. In this case Nippon Ichi.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Both NIS and Level-5 are near bankruptcy these days, I've been saying this for days.

They're very unlikely companies due to that.

Seems like FP #5 will be from a series that is well-known. So a good chance we could be getting Dark Souls next.

Dante won't be the next character and neither will be a Nippon Ichi Software character.

Nippon Ichi Software is known for making the Disgaea and Atelier series.
You're right about Disgaea but Atelier is Koei Tecmo (Ninja Gaiden) and more specifically GUST who are owned by KOEI TECMO.

EDIT: Also NISA is Nippon Ichi Software America; they seem to be doing much better then their Japanese counterpart. They were the previous owners of Atelier, so I think you meant them.

But currently Atelier is under the control of Koei.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Compare #5 to Banjo lol

whats your angle here
Cloud was revealed in a Nintendo Direct while Bayonetta was saved as the final character for the last Nintendo Direct.

By your stance it would’ve been better to have a character that was considered to have no chance in hell from one of the most well known franchises and iconic RPG title in the world be the last reveal to end Smash in a bang, but that didn’t happen at all.

Instead they followed Cloud with Corrin, who was considered a divisive pick among the Smash and FE community and revealed in the last direct or Smash 4 DLC, as well as Bayonetta who was much less known than Cloud. Bayonetta did “win” the ballot which is why she could’ve been revealed last, however, compared to Cloud, she is much less known. Sakurai even stated in an interview that a third of Final Fantasy character votes in the ballot were for Cloud, so Cloud could’ve easily been revealed last as a ballot winner and work just as well or even better than Bayonetta.

So even during DLC, the team didn’t leave their biggest banger for last. I’m not saying Bayonetta wasn’t a banger, but considering that Smash 4 DLC’s last direct also had Corrin to start it off shows that ending with the best for last isn’t their motto and it’s been proven that their mindset is kind of the opposite, which the same could and has happened with Ultimate where the last character/fighter isn’t considered as big of a shock as the previous reveals.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Both NIS and Level-5 are near bankruptcy these days, I've been saying this for days.

Why would lacking money make them unlikely?
Loaning your character to Smash is practically free money given how Sakurai and his team do most of the work.
Not enough money for the lawyers maybe?

KillerCage

Smash Master
I look forward to Phoenix Wright, Lloyd, Heihachi or an Resident Evil rep being the next victim.
I would take all but Heihachi at this point.
Doom Slayer is stuck in Hell.
Ryu Hayabusa got the shaft.
Gordon Freeman got no-scoped.
Crash was yanked from us.
Dante was skewered with extreme prejudice.
I just want someone OTHER than Heihachi to be invited to Smash.
I would rather have a Resident Evil (Biohazard) character OVER Heihachi.
Have I expressed my disinterest in Heihachi yet???

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I find it very hard to believe people play a game that sells itself entirely on anime tiddies for anything but the anime tiddies. That's like playing Mario for the story.
Entirely is an exaggeration and depends on the game. This is a launch trailer.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
So even during DLC, the team didn’t leave their biggest banger for last.
Bayo was literally the most requested character on a global scale........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
So the current character of the week is Dante? Man, is poor PSASBR looking worse and worse or what?

I wonder what version they'd go for.
My best guess would be DMC1 Dante but he would use reboot Dante's more stylistic versions of Ebony and Ivory to play it safe with the ratings
That poor, poor game man. Every time a new character whose more prominent on PlayStation, but then makes the jump to Smash instead, I feel bad, but it also makes me laugh at the same time! The irony of it ALL!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
More than enough.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I dunno. You haven't posted a animated gifs of all his "deaths" form Tekken. I think that would be a good way to go show it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
One. America got one entire Inazuma game, and it's an eShop-exclusive 3DS port of the first one. The franchise is a nonentity over here.
Ah I see, yeah in that case the series would probably most likely be getting a mii costume at least if a Level-5 character where to make it in.
Layton and Yokai Watch would probably be a much better DLC options if we where to get Level-5 character in there...

Loaning your character to Smash is practically free money given how Sakurai and his team do most of the work.
Weren't SNK in some financial bind at some point fairly recently as well?

Level-5 seems to be doing alright currently, especially with how well LMJ Deluxe seems to be selling..

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
We get it. You don't want to see the ultimate three-way fighting game crossover happen... for some reason...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One good thing from all this shooting down of who isn't character no 5, we've got a good list for post fighter pass 3rd party characters ready to go for the next lot.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I don't wholeheartedly buy any leaks, so 'meh'.
But NIS is, and will remain, a pipe-dream. Fun to speculate about though... More than the bigger names at least.

But the dream of Cornet in Smash is ever unlikely.
(Yeah, yeah... Etna, Laharl, Flonne, Prier, etc...)

Can also help their chances in a way.
A desperate company is much more likely to jump on a deal just to improve their optics and promote themselves, while a successful company is going to be more apt to care about royalty payments.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Hype is subjective.

I hated Bayo. :drshrug:
your personal reaction isnt indicative of what the larger community wanted. And he said it was a nuclear bomb, and objectively it was. It was a character deemed impossible. It was a character that crossed fan rules and redefined what was possible. i can post a large list of videos of people that were literally speechless or dancing with joy at bayo reveal. Thats the thing with this website and smash echo chamber. people here will scream geno matters and he should get in, leave here and say that and i have seen people laugh at the idea.

characters like dante, doomguy, and lara have fanbases that dwarf characters like geno and shantae.
I watched some non smash central streamers reactions to banjo.... yeah it wasnt that great.

Droodle

Smash Lord
It's a mixture of being niche and there being a possibility of the series not having a future. Add that on top of money concerns/possible layoffs.

Level-5 has Layton, who, while decently popular within the fanbase, isn't anything massive outside of it. Yokai-Watch has been a walking corpse for a couple of years, especially in the west. And Ni-No-Kuni also not doing so hot (despite their best efforts), the series had a movie that BOMBED in Japan. If their NNK mobile game fails, Level-5 will literally have nothing that is both active and successful.

NIS is known for Disgaea which while successful, is still really niche. I think the last Disgaea game that came out on mobile absolutely bombed. Disgaea 6 has been in development for a while, but nothing of note has been revealed. Meanwhile some of their other games have received "indefinite delays". On top of that, there have been rumors of a lot of layoffs occurring there.

I doubt Nintendo is interested in too many niche series (I can see 1 or 2), and I doubt that they're especially interested in series that may have a very questionable future ahead.

Like imagine if Layton and Laharl got in, and then shortly after the studios behind those game shut down.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
your personal reaction isnt indicative of what the larger community wanted. And he said it was a nuclear bomb, and objectively it was. It was a character deemed impossible. It was a character that crossed fan rules and redefined what was possible. i can post a large list of videos of people that were literally speechless or dancing with joy at bayo reveal. Thats the thing with this website and smash echo chamber. people here will scream geno matters and he should get in, leave here and say that and i have seen people laugh at the idea.
Its crazy how people are gonna disrespect Bayo like this, claiming she wasn't a bonkers finale to the last DLC lineup.

I can feel the same energy coming with #5 at the VGAs

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

characters like dante, doomguy, and lara have fanbases that dwarf characters like geno and shantae.
I watched some non smash central streamers reactions to banjo.... yeah it wasnt that great.
Don't care about Geno either. Banjo was cool but not crazy for me, and I honestly dislike most of what you mentioned except for Lara. Also wasn't talking about any "general public", I was sharing my own personal thoughts, which were that I greatly disliked Bayo and was disappointed Inklings didn't make it in.

I want Yuri Lowell, Octolings, and the Katamari Prince, lol. To each their own, though; I ain't gonna force my subjective opinions on anyone. We all got likes and dislikes.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Its crazy how people are gonna disrespect Bayo like this, claiming she wasn't a bonkers finale to the last DLC lineup.

I can feel the same energy coming with #5 at the VGAs
I don't get it either. I feel like some historical revisionism has been in the works with how people are pretending NO ONE asked for Bayonetta before her inclusion, which is complete bull****.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Jesus I spoke too soon. Lloyd's out of the running now?

That leaves just Heihachi, KOS-MOS, Agumon and Chosen Undead as an Namco rep.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I dunno. You haven't posted a animated gifs of all his "deaths" form Tekken. I think that would be a good way to go show it.
Oh. In that case...
We get it. You don't want to see the ultimate three-way fighting game crossover happen... for some reason...
It is not so much that I don't want a Tekken rep (admittly a game that features characters from Street Fighter, King of Fighers, and Tekken would be cool.)
My problem is that Heihachi is a boring choice for Smash Bros when Tekken itself has better choices such as Jin and Kazuya.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The Nippon-Ichi deconfirmation did get me thinking. Maybe we should be considering companies that had a strong presence early on in the Switch's lifespan but no playable presence in Smash? Three random developers who had first year releases on the Switch -
  • Ubisoft with Mario vs Rabbids & Rayman Legends
  • Bethesda with the Skyrim and Doom ports
  • Nippon Ichi with Disgaea 5 Complete
Not that there's any requirement for characters in Smash to have major Switch presence prior to their inclusion, but it makes sense considering things like SNK's major presence through Arcade Archives.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
The only historical revisionism is pretending Bayonetta had even an iota of the support that K. Rool, the actual ballot winner, did.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's a mixture of being niche and there being a possibility of the series not having a future. Add that on top of money concerns/possible layoffs.

Level-5 has Layton, who, while decently popular within the fanbase, isn't anything massive outside of it. Yokai-Watch has been a walking corpse for a couple of years, especially in the west. And Ni-No-Kuni also not doing so hot (despite their best efforts), the series had a movie that BOMBED in Japan. If their NNK mobile game fails, Level-5 will literally have nothing that is both active and successful.

NIS is known for Disgaea which while successful, is still really niche. I think the last Disgaea game that came out on mobile absolutely bombed. Disgaea 6 has been in development for a while, but nothing of note has been revealed. Meanwhile some of their other games have received "indefinite delays". On top of that, there have been rumors of a lot of layoffs occurring there.

I doubt Nintendo is interested in too many niche series (I can see 1 or 2), and I doubt that they're especially interested in series that may have a very questionable future ahead.

Like imagine if Layton and Laharl got in, and then shortly after the studios behind those game shut down.
Err...

Nintendo is directly adverting old and out of print games for it's direct competition. :ultbanjokazooie:
If either got in and it shut down that would be a shame but they would still be in Smash, still making money for Nintendo and the eventual IP holders who salvage it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom