• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droodle

Smash Lord
So wait, this also deconfirms a Danganronpa, Neptunia, or Touhou Rep? Reasons being that NISA (the American branch) localized the above games (wrt Touhou they have console games that NISA localized. Neptunia was localized by NISA before but I believe that still counts)
It wouldn't kill any of those series, as NIS/NISA are nearly very different companies in everything but name. NIS doesn't own any of those IPs in Japan, which is what matters while NISA does publish those IPs in America.

I doubt Sakurai pays attention to what NISA owns/publishes, unless one of those characters does end up getting in.

Vergeben would need to clarify if he meant both NIS and NISA; but I think its better to just assume that NIS is deconfirmed for now.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
And more names potentially to the graveyard

https://twitter.com/Prinny4Smash/status/1199473030390521856

Seeing people say this kills Reimu and Monokuma for dlc 5 as well but i have no clue if its true
Even if NIS were out, I don't think you could sanely say that any character touched by NISA is out without outright declaring who the character is.
There are way to many properties from disparate sources involved there.

Lloyd is out because my boy Yuri is gonna be in. :cool:
Comrade!

As for Tekken, just give us Lucky Chloe.
The Tekken fanbase loves Lucky Chloe, right?
(Or Alisa. Alisa is what Smash really needs.)

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
The Nippon-Ichi deconfirmation did get me thinking. Maybe we should be considering companies that had a strong presence early on in the Switch's lifespan but no playable presence in Smash? Three random developers who had first year releases on the Switch -
  • Ubisoft with Mario vs Rabbids & Rayman Legends
  • Bethesda with the Skyrim and Doom ports
  • Nippon Ichi with Disgaea 5 Complete
Not that there's any requirement for characters in Smash to have major Switch presence prior to their inclusion, but it makes sense considering things like SNK's major presence through Arcade Archives.
Does that mean we could get an Assassin's Creed character in Smash?
Because I would be up for that.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
It is not so much that I don't want a Tekken rep (admittly a game that features characters from Street Fighter, King of Fighers, and Tekken would be cool.)
My problem is that Heihachi is a boring choice for Smash Bros when Tekken itself has better choices such as Jin and Kazuya.
Fair enough, though Heihachi is still the most likely character from the series. He's got a near perfect attendance record in the Tekken games, he's been picked as one of the Tekken reps in other crossovers like Project X Zone, and is the sole Tekken rep in PlayStation All-Stars and Smash 4.

If you want another Tekken character instead of Heihachi, your best bet is Kazuya, the initial Tekken protagonist and only other Tekken character with a perfect attendance record in the games.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I think this just means NIS and not NISA. Admittedly I can see why it'd be confusing.

So if true, that means Disgaea and other NIS developed games are out of the running for #5 but not Touhou, Neptunia, Danganronpa, etc etc since those were published by NISA and not developed by NIS.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
And more names potentially to the graveyard

https://twitter.com/Prinny4Smash/status/1199473030390521856

Seeing people say this kills Reimu and Monokuma for dlc 5 as well but i have no clue if its true
It doesn't kill either of them.

Touhou is developed by ZUN, and Danganronpa is developed by Spike Chunsoft. The only relation NIS has to these two franchises is translating a couple Touhou fan games and helping publish Danganronpa.

NIS would not have to be contacted for either of these franchises to be in Smash.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The Nippon-Ichi deconfirmation did get me thinking. Maybe we should be considering companies that had a strong presence early on in the Switch's lifespan but no playable presence in Smash? Three random developers who had first year releases on the Switch -
  • Ubisoft with Mario vs Rabbids & Rayman Legends
  • Bethesda with the Skyrim and Doom ports
  • Nippon Ichi with Disgaea 5 Complete
Not that there's any requirement for characters in Smash to have major Switch presence prior to their inclusion, but it makes sense considering things like SNK's major presence through Arcade Archives.
Not a game, but Warner Bros made Detective Pikachu. nd you know what video game franchise Warner owns?
MaxwellScribblenauttTime.PNG

or a MK rep i guess.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Err...

Nintendo is directly adverting old and out of print games for it's direct competition. :ultbanjokazooie:
If either got in and it shut down that would be a shame but they would still be in Smash, still making money for Nintendo and the eventual IP holders who salvage it.
If they had some REALLY popular Smash requests, I could see them doing it; but they don't. And even outside requests, their characters are still pretty niche. So they wouldn't be earning Nintendo that much anyways. On top of that, if the developers do run out of business; Nintendo wouldn't have a good relationship that they could rely on in the future.

And sometimes a Smash invitation doesn't automatically mean an IPs popularity can be salvaged, DQ still failed to chart well in America even though it was both in Smash and pushed hard through directs. Granted I still think Nintendo succeeded in spreading awareness of DQ internationally.

D

Deleted member

I don't get it either. I feel like some historical revisionism has been in the works with how people are pretending NO ONE asked for Bayonetta before her inclusion, which is complete bull****.
Its pretty that with the ballot a lot of the fanbases simply became a ****show of people that hate everything non-fan character related that cling to every conspiracy theory out there just to assure their sense of controlling the smash roster by using a suggestion box. It was regularly shown how people were blocked by Kamiya during the Ballot, and Nintendo actually stated that she was the number one among realizable which means she was the most popular character they could implement.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Oh gosh... they're deconfirming potential fighter #5's left and right. D:

Not gonna lie, the gameplay looks fun

Im a sucker for fast paced beat em up mayhem
That game is like Dynasty Warriors meets Naruto Ultimate Ninja with usable items and a multiplayer versus modes. I liked the simple, fast paced combat. It had depth. There's a handful of characters with cool abilities. There's wall climbing, rideable mecha, leveling up, and two different styles of fighting. It's not bad. Surprisingly. The story cracks jokes and there's a level of self-awareness. But like Tekken, Code Vein, and Soul Calibur, I spent most of my time in the customization mode lol. There's a lot of unlockable hair styles, accessories, clothing, etc.

It also gave us this:

It's not my cup of tea, but it's not the worst thing ever.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
"I'm sorry Dante, but I think I dropped a very important letter. Could you pick it up for me? Thanks. By the way, do you want to go to the bar to sing karaoke with Sakurai later?"

Kiryu.jpg

EDIT: Jokes aside, I think Kiryu has a pretty big shot of being a post-pass character. Yakuza is extremely popular in Japan, and it's been getting more popular in the West too, lately. SEGA is already present in Smash, and Kiryu's fighting styles would fit really well with Smash too.

I'd even go as far as to say Kiryu is more likely then Arle, and probably the most likely next Sega character barring another Sonic character.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Its pretty that with the ballot a lot of the fanbases simply became a ****show of people that hate everything non-fan character related that cling to every conspiracy theory out there just to assure their sense of controlling the smash roster by using a suggestion box. It was regularly shown how people were blocked by Kamiya during the Ballot, and Nintendo actually stated that she was the number one among realizable which means she was the most popular character they could implement.
People also acting like Maximilian Dood wasn't pushing her hard either.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Fair enough, though Heihachi is still the most likely character from the series. He's got a near perfect attendance record in the Tekken games, he's been picked as one of the Tekken reps in other crossovers like Project X Zone, and is the sole Tekken rep in PlayStation All-Stars and Smash 4.

If you want another Tekken character instead of Heihachi, your best bet is Kazuya, the initial Tekken protagonist and only other Tekken character with a perfect attendance record in the games.
There is also the comments Sakurai made regarding Heihachi during the Smash 4 days.
While he could have change his mind since then, Sakurai couldn't create a moveset for Heihachi that would work in Smash.

D

Deleted member

I have like no idea what's going on, but I think we're a bit too focused on deconfirming when that can just be done at the VGA.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
So it looks like the "not FP5" list I'm keeping expands to 11 with Dante and the entirety of Nippon Ichi

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Triple Plot Twist: It's Master Core, Tabuu, Dharkon, and Galeem as a single entity.
QUADRUPLE plot twist: it’s a new cosmic entity on the scale of Galeem, Dharkon and Tabuu.

But of what...?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So it looks like the "not FP5" list I'm keeping expands to 11 with Dante and the entirety of Nippon Ichi
So far the list has:
  • Crash
  • Tracer
  • Hayabusa
  • Geno
  • Doomguy
  • Scorpion
  • Pajama Sam
  • Dante
  • Nippon Ichi Software character
So that's 9 potential candidates down...

Droodle

Smash Lord
QUADRUPLE plot twist: it’s a new cosmic entity on the scale of Galeem, Dharkon and Tabuu.

But of what...?
SAKURAI!!!!!!!!!!

Whenever he knocks someone out, they're removed from the game.

Whenever he loses, he hijacks the win screen anyways.

Welcome your new banned overlord.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Because someone lied about Verge said saying he mentioned crossovers with them meaning it could kill Reimu and Lloyd, however:
I assumed that was the case, lol.

Thank goodness, I thought I was about to witness the death of Tales in Smash again.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
We'll probably find out who's the fifth character by process of elimination at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom