• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Okay real talk the lack of any Namco disconfirmations is suspicious

Like isn’t it weird insiders have said nothing about any of them considering quite a few have been heavily rumored?
Yeah it's kinda odd. I'm surprised we haven't heard any deconfirmations on a Namco character yet, considering that there's a lot of discussion of Lloyd, Heihachi, KOS-MOS, and Chosen Undead here in this thread even before the Freeman/Dante rumors.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If it's Dark Souls I'm gonna start pretending I'm a prophet, especially since Terry's codename really was a strange play on words that caused some discussion.

Last night I had a dream the Smash website updated again and the placeholder pages had a bunch of weird codenames for future fighters. Everyone made fun of Terry's for being super long. It was like "Burningwildwolf" or something. There were hints at Solaire ("FromSoft") and Cuphead (literally "Cuphead") and no one cared because of how long Terry's codename was. Everyone was too busy roasting it.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Namco rep.... modern classic series... no one is talking about them.... would generate a ton of VGA hype....

Fighter #5 is gonna be a Dark Souls rep

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
i'd honestly be pretty surprised at layton given that he's not a particularly earth-shattering or highly-requested pick and his own games have more or less come to an end, as much as i'd be very okay with him

dark souls though i think is very likely--**** defined an entire subgenre of games over the past decade
Then again, Layton could continue the long trend of final Smash reveals being the outlier or the ones with mixed fan reception. I wouldn't mind him personally but eh.

Dark Souls is right up there. Odd that Sakurai seemed to tease the franchise in Banjo's overview ("these poor souls") and the Bandai-Namco tease in Terry's overview. It could all mean nothing but man Sakurai is a tease.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I find it incredibly funny that I predicted Leon to be part of the pass ever since E3 due to my gut instinct and he has yet to appear in a fake leak or get disconfirmed by one of the insiders. Could it actually happen? Will I finally guess one of the DLC characters correctly?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly, I can't see #5 being anyone other than Layton or Dark Souls.

I'm feeling Layton personally for reasons I mentioned yesterday but Dark Souls makes a lot of sense as well. It kinda falls in a simlar realm as Persona, a semi-big franchise that Sakurai really likes. Plus with the FP being the planned end of DLC, it would make sense for Bandai-Namco to get the last character given their work on Smash 4/Ultimate. Almost as the "Ultimate" thank you to them.

That and of course, the missing Mii Costumes from Bandy.
I do appreciate your two cents for the Prof.

I must admit, I do kind of feel more hopeful that fighter 5 may potentially just be a Level-5 character, its a popular company in Europe, much like SNK is to China/Latin America and it would help bring in a new demographic into Smash, especially the Layton series and the large female fanbase it has, but that's probably just my own hopes talking....

It will probably end up being Namco or Capcom getting another character though.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So that's 8 on the "Not 5" list now.

Getting that number down bit by bit...

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I don't see why people believe the Smash announcement at the VGAs has to be for some character from a huge franchise. Does it make sense to announce a character with big mainstream appeal at the event? Oh absolutely, but I'm not going to assume that this is a guaranteed thing.

They could announce any character they wanted and it would still generate buzz because, well, it's ******* Smash.

D

Deleted member

I am unfazed by naked women because that's mundane af to me, but you can disable it, bruh. The brief instances of fanservice are the least important aspect of the games. I'm guessing you strongly oppose Mortal Kombat?

It wouldn't matter in Super Smash anyway.
I don't give a **** about naked women either and I love MK, but Senran Kagura just makes me feel uncomfortable. It's like an ecchi anime that borders as close as possible on being a hentai without actually being able to be classified as one.
Also I'd hardly call the fanservice the "least important aspect" when it is the very reason most people know about the series at all. It is sold on sex appeal and I don't know how anyone could claim otherwise

Last edited by a moderator:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If Layton's getting in, I want him to come after Phoenix Wright has been revealed. Either that, or Layton can be revealed first and Phoenix Wright shortly afterwards... just so that either character's reveal trailer can be one giant reference to their own crossover game together...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Sabi just said that she had heard Dante's name being thrown around but refused to confirm it.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I don't see why people believe the Smash announcement at the VGAs has to be for some character from a huge franchise. Does it make sense to announce a character with big mainstream appeal at the event? Oh absolutely, but I'm not going to assume that this is a guaranteed thing.

They could announce any character they wanted and it would still generate buzz because, well, it's ******* Smash.
I dont think its guaranteed, but I really want to believe it.

Fighter #4 was the most niche pick on the pass, I gotta think they'd want to end the first fighters pass at the VGAs with a big effin bang.

Ppl forget that wave 2 of DLC wasnt planned when they were picking the first fighters pass. I dont think they're purposefully holding on to some ridiculously hype character reveal for a second pass.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

It could also be possible that they may reveal two characters there, one with more low key/specific popularity (probably to wrap up the first fighters pass) and the second one could be someone more high profile to kickstart a second fighters pass.

Kind of like what they've done with Palutena, Hero, and Pac-Man and Banjo & Kazooie for E3 in the past. (Though Pac-Man they revealed behind closed doors for whatever bizarre reasons...)

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
While I wouldn't say Layton is particularly improbable, I also have a hard time seeing Level-5 get in and the team going for someone that isn't either Jibanyan or an Inazuma Eleven rep.

Go back to basics with Dark Cloud.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I do appreciate your two cents for the Prof.

I must admit, I do kind of feel more hopeful that fighter 5 may potentially just be a Level-5 character, its a popular company in Europe, much like SNK is to China/Latin America and it would help bring in a new demographic into Smash, especially the Layton series and the large female fanbase it has, but that's probably just my own hopes talking....

It will probably end up being Namco or Capcom getting another character though.
If nothing else, I would think Layton would have a legitmate shot post-pass if he's not #5. Especially if Wright isn't in although it isn't an either/or situation.
It’s not like Professor Layton isn’t a big series in the west, but I don’t think it would go over at TGA like others would.

Dark Souls though? Oh yeah. That could totally be it.
True. Dark Souls feels like the ideal reveal for a venue like the VGA's. Everything seems to line up for it but only time well tell.

D

Deleted member

Bomberman hasn't been deconfirmed by leakers yet. We in this!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I dont think its guaranteed, but I really want to believe it.

Fighter #4 was the most niche pick on the pass, I gotta think they'd want to end the first fighters pass at the VGAs with a big effin bang.

Ppl forget that wave 2 of DLC wasnt planned when they were picking the first fighters pass. I dont think they're purposefully holding on to some ridiculously hype character reveal for a second pass.
Smash reveals have never ended in a Bang. :ness64::jigglypuff64::gawmelee::olimar::wolf::4shulk::4bayonetta::ultincineroar:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't give a **** about naked women either and I love MK, but Senran Kagura just makes me feel uncomfortable. It's like an ecchi anime that borders as close as possible on being a hentai without actually being able to be classified as one.
Also I'd hardly call the fanservice the "least important aspect" when it is the very reason most people know about the series at all. It is sold on sex appeal and I don't know how anyone could claim otherwise
Today I learned that Senran Kagura isn't a hentai franchise.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
While I wouldn't say Layton is particularly improbable, I also have a hard time seeing Level-5 get in and the team going for someone that isn't either Jibanyan or an Inazuma Eleven rep.
While I wouldn't say Banjo-Kazooie is particularly improbable, I also have a hard time seeing Microsoft get in and the team going for someone that isn't either Steve or Master Chief

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So, characters that Sabi has entertained then retracted:
- Ryu Hayabusa
- Gordon Freeman
- Jonesy
- Maxwell
- Dante
- Crash? (don't remember)
- maybe others?

Characters that Sabi has accurately validated:
- Terry after Nintendo leaked SNK and Vergeben corroborated it, all like within 24 hrs of the actual reveal

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Dante is down huh? So who does that leave for big names?
The big names still left:
  • Sora
  • Leon/Jill/Resident Evil rep
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Chosen Undead (Dark Souls)
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Heihachi
  • KOS-MOS (not as much as the others I mentioned but she's talked about quite a bit here)
Any other big names I missed?

D

Deleted member

• Sora
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Heihachi
  • KOS-MOS (not as much as the others I mentioned but she's talked about quite a bit here)
Pains me to see that KOS-MOS and Jill are the only probable female reps there, though there's KOS-MOS so...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Also, we can all laugh at the irony if Dark Souls is #5 and Hayabusa/Doomguy are both post-pass.

Google Theory win!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Smash reveals have never ended in a Bang. :ness64::jigglypuff64::gawmelee::olimar::wolf::4shulk::4bayonetta::ultincineroar:

Are you going to argue that Nintendo invalidating 4 years of "LOL Bayonetta in Smash" jokes wasn't a bang? It might have been a case of tossing the pin instead of the grenade but a bang nonetheless.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
  • Sora
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Heihachi
Monster Hunter.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
  • Sora
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Heihachi
I'd throw Dovahkiin in there too. Feel he's slept on alongside Chosen Undead.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
While I wouldn't say Banjo is particularly impossible, I also have a hard time seeing Microsoft get in and the team going for someone that isn't either Steve or Master Chief
You know this isn't comparable.
The only 3rd-party character that sits in an even remotely-comparable position to Banjo in terms of 'special circumstances' is probably Geno.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Dark Souls would be awesome and is a good shout, but I do still hestitate to go all-in on it due to its lack of an immediately obvious candidate. Chosen Undead would probably be the go-to pick since he's the main character, but the lack of a real identity or personality makes me a bit skeptical, the latter is usually a big priority in Smash. Solaire has been brought up a few times, but despite being quite iconic, his overall influence in the game itself is limited, I'd be surprised if a side character is chosen as the sole representative of a franchise. Maybe a boss could do since they're what Dark Souls is really known for, of course the Google Theory turned out to be bunk, but Artorias wasn't a bad idea.

I would still expect it to be Chosen Undead in the end since the playable character always seems to be the priority, but at that point I have to compare him to other Namco reps (as I'm only even more certain on #5 being a Namco rep now that Dante's out), at which point I still feel like Lloyd is easily the safest bet.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Pains me to see that KOS-MOS and Jill are the only probable female reps there, though there's KOS-MOS so...
There's also the Chosen Undead, a character that can be female if you choose to customize them as such. And as I'm typing this, Monster Hunter, Dovahkiin, and Steve were brought up, all being the same type of customizeable character that can be female if you so choose.

I'm curious. Would you be fine with an avatar character that can be female like Robin or Corrin, or does it really have to be someone who's canonically female like Samus or Zelda?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom