• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
1000 characters. Everyone would be having a hard time seeing where each character is to choose to play as.
You'd really have to break it up into pages. Like Boxes in your Pokemon PC.

As a matter of fact a lot of people wanted Black Mage before Cloud came around so you know what? Why not?
I was one of those people. But these days, I really just want a Mii Mage and to get Black/White/Red Mage outfits for it. Also Fighter/Ninja outfits for Swordfighter and a Monk outfit for Brawler.

Random thought: What if they brought Geno back in the main series, but turned him into a Whittle?
Geno is clearly a Luma wearing a suit of wooden power armor.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Also known as "the one Geno was in". :4pacman:

EDIT: Random thought: What if they brought Geno back in the main series, but turned him into a Whittle?
That means Nintendo has to buy back the rights to Geno.

I'd say that is EXTREMELY unlikely. About as likely as it is for Nintendo to buy the rights to Xenogears and Xenosaga.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
1000 characters. Everyone would be having a hard time seeing where each character is to choose to play as.
It could be done still. They'd just need to have a few hundred Piranha Plant style picks and change the character selection to multiple pages.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Yadda, yeah, yeah.

Let's not discuss this any further.
Well you can't come in here and throw little jabs and not expect people to hit back. Not everyone agrees with your ideology, Lesley. You know the expression "beating a dead horse?" With your persistence on this topic, I think you're more maiming the poor beast at this point.

I want to reiterate that it's OK to have your viewpoint. And if you want to talk about your thoughts and opinions, then there are places to do that in a constructive and meaningful way. But in a Smash Bros. newcomer/DLC speculation forum? You're not going to get the feedback and respectful discussion you desire.

blackghost

Smash Champion
It'll be interesting to see how any negotiations for a Resident Evil character in Smash play out, if they're happening at all.

On one hand, Jill and Leon are fan favorites, both starring in fan favorite titles like Resident Evil 3 and 4, and seem like the most obvious choices. On the other, Capcom seems to really like Chris. He was the main Resident Evil character in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Infinite, he's in both Project X Zone games where he's paired up with Jill, and he both made a cameo in Resident Evil 7 and eventually got his own DLC chapter.

I think Sakurai will try to get either Jill or Leon, Capcom will try to push Chris, and Sakurai will compromise with another Hero-style character (with Claire thrown in as well).
capcom has tried to push chris but he's never recovered from the punch the bolder meme among the fanbase.

and a hero style character doesnt work for jill, chris, clair, and leon. they all have different training and fighting styles.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Because, compared to other rpg series out there, TLOZ is pretty...basic. I like the series well enough but it's far from the most ground breaking or awe inspiring. Game play is generally pretty basic too. Breath of the Wild was the biggest breakthrough in the series IMO but even then it's treading samey territory. Story is pretty samey. It's passable, it's fun but it's average if we want to be honest with ourselves. The Witcher III it isn't.
zelda is a series so good it is compared to itself. like only itself.
saying botw was not aweinspiring makes me wonder what you consider awe inspiring.
botw didnt tell an incredibly deep story, they werent trying to. nintendo unlike other devs doesnt try to do everything at once.they wanted to make a zelda game with arguably the best open world ever. that was the goal and they knocked it out.
average gameplay? botw isnt perfect but its issues are not in controls or gameplay.
i've played the witcher its very good but stomping on zelda to elevate the witcher aint it my man. unlike zelda witcher hasnt been around that long. zelda has made 3 or 4 transitions in its series top down adventure, 2 d side scroller, 3d adventure, a return to topdown and even a major graphical shift. an ordinary franchise couldnt do that.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Adding characters to Smash is more than sales and popularity. It’s about bringing something new, being interesting, timing, capability of design (as in, actually possible it fitting)...

Sakurai has done an excellent job in putting in plenty of content. “Representation”, which Smash fans like to look at as only characters includes stages, music, items, and characters. ARMS and Xenoblade 2 missed out because of timing, but either Spring Man or Rex probably would have had a better shot if they’d been out earlier.

Zelda on the other hand hasn’t gotten a character in years. But while it might be argued it should, it really comes down to if it makes sense to effectively add one-offs or side characters when there are plenty of options of great picks that cover a wider variety of games instead.

Zelda has 6 characters, and 3 of them are deviations of Link. However, it has plenty of stages (almost one for each main console game), plenty of music, plenty of items, Assist Trophies, Spirits...it’s everywhere and it deserves to be everywhere. I hate using “deserves” for stuff like this, but you know what I mean.

Representation is more than just characters.
That seems to generalize, and I don’t really agree with that.

Are characters arguably the most important thing? Sure. Are they the only important thing? Absolutely not.

Representation comes in different forms. Characters aren’t the only thing that represents a series, and to say otherwise ignores a massive part of the game.
Characters may be the “most important” part of the mascot crossover that is Smash, but the fan base has to release that there’s always going to be characters that aren’t going to be playable.

Not to mention, part of Smash is the additional content. The collection of music is fantastic. The different locations, especially mixed with that music can produce some real fan service.

I mean, I don’t know what else to say aside from...better luck next time? Sucks that someone’s favorites aren’t playable, but that’s going to happen no matter what.

It doesn’t really matter what the fan base views as “representation that matters”, the fact remains that Zelda has some of the most content in Smash compared to other series. If the dev team feels that balances things out, then, for now, we basically have to deal with it.
This is an excellent set of posts. Many do not realize that there is more to Smash Bros. than just the roster. I would mention that aside from stages (Zelda actually has the second highest amount of stages of any series in Ultimate, behind only Mario), Zelda also has the second highest amount of items of any franchise in the game (again second only to Mario). It also has four Assist Trophies, the second highest amount in Ultimate (again second only to Mario). In terms of Mii costumes, it has the highest number of full sets of any franchise, and has an additional three Mii hats not attached to a particular costume.

Mother only has two characters on the roster, but it also has four stages (more than it has games). three items, two Assist Trophies, one full Mii costume, and a separate Mii hat. It is a very well represented franchise despite its character count only being at two.

With many of Ultimate's base game Mii costumes, a lot of them seemed to be added under the pretense of giving a consolation prize to various minor Nintendo franchises (Golden Sun, Panel de Pon, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Sin & Punishment, Art Academy), most of which had either been too niche or had been on hiatus for nearly or over a decade. It shows that Sakurai and his team do realize that those franchises are a part of Nintendo history, and want to throw fans of those games a bone (especially considering how for many of them, their series have been inactive now for about a decade).

I actually wrote a small essay a few weeks ago talking about non-roster content in Smash Bros. that meant a lot to me throughout the entire series. It a bit lengthy, and no one commented on it but I think it should be repeated because I personally think it would be an interesting discussion.

It is a very lengthy read though because it details my personal experience with each installment to the franchise in regards to this matter, so please only read it if you have the time to do so or you find such stories intriguing.

Alright, here is a topic that I rarely ever see come up but I think will be very interesting to talk about. Most discussion pertaining to Smash Bros. pertains to the content (current and prospective) in regards to the roster. However, Smash Bros. is more than just the roster, much more. There is a lot of content out there in the games, that while not part of the roster, can still absolutely make fans of the the character or game smile.

Assist Trophies, Mii Costumes, Songs, Stages, Spirits/Trophies/Stickers. There are lots of ways for something/someone to be included in Smash Bros. However, we rarely ever hear about being glad something was included in a form outside of the roster. I think this could be a very interesting topic as I am sure there are quite a few things we like that we are personally glad got a nod at all.

I will start off, by giving examples throughout the Smash Bros. series of things that I personally greatly appreciated in terms of content that were outside the roster of their respective games.

Smash 64:

For the original installment, it was novel just seeing all of Nintendo's biggest icons together in a single game. Its roster only had 12 fighters, and 9 selectable stages. However, there was still a few bits of content that gave out non-playable content to some critical major characters from some of the major franchises represented in Smash 64. Most of these were Pokemon (Pokeball Pokemon, the stage hazard Pokemon in Saffron City, the background Pokemon in Saffron City, and the ones appearing in Pikachu's ending screen), but a few other titles got enemies or notable characters from their franchises to have shoutouts. EarthBound/Mother had the most profound with the rest of the playable cast to Mother 2/EarthBound appearing in Ness's ending screen along with two members of the Runaway Five, Mr. Saturn, Frankystein, and Octobot.

However, most of the shoutouts were limited to background appearances to the nine selectable stages. These were usually of generic enemies (Koopa Troopas, Buzzy Beetle, Piranha Plant as a stage hazard, Lakitu, Shy Guys, Kirby's Bronto Burt, and DKC's Necky), but two series critical characters also received a shoutout through this method. They were King Dedede and Ridley.

For the latter, I remember being absolutely ecstatic seeing that Ridley had made a cameo in what was becoming one of my favorite games for the Nintendo 64. I had long hoped for a Metroid game for the Nintendo 64, and Samus being a part on the Smash roster was an incredible miracle to me especially when the series was dormant at the time for five years and there was no announcements at all about a new game in the series being in development. Samus and Ridley being my two favorite things from the Metroid series, it was nice to see both of them have some sort of appearance in Smash Bros. I would literally just play and pause on Planet Zebes as Samus and daydream that it was a new Metroid title.

It was also seeing Ridley in the background to Smash 64 that got me to daydream about the possibility of him someday becoming a fighter in Smash Bros. There was actually a part of me that thought the next title in the series would involve adding the main antagonist/rival for each of the franchises represented in Smash Bros., since the most obvious additions for many of them seemed to be villains/rivals such as Bowser, Ganondorf, King Dedede, Wolf, etc. However, I considered it miraculous enough that Samus managed to make it onto the roster of 12, and that if her slot could have easily gone to Wario (of which three Wario Land games had already been released by the time Smash 64 was made).

Ridley's cameo in Smash 64 was the sprinkles to the masterpiece cake (well at the time it was to me) that was Smash 64. Not a necessary part of the game/cake, but definitely something that made it stand out more to me personally.

Melee:

As I said in a previous post, Melee massively expanded upon everything that made Smash 64 great. Moreover, it actually seemed to celebrate Nintendo as whole. Melee is probably the only game in the Smash Bros. series where I actually enjoyed collecting and viewing the trophies because it gave a 3D model to many characters who at the time did not have one. Melee was the first time seeing characters like Ridley, Dixie Kong, Pit, Meta Knight, and many others in 3D, and having freedom to view the model from different angles and lighting. This was a big deal for many Nintendo fans that had grown up with a NES/SNES and were disappointed that many of their favorite characters did not make the jump to 3D with the Nintendo 64.

The trophy system in Melee was something I enjoyed than most of the new additions to the roster. I now had a game where almost all of my favorite Nintendo characters were now given a reference in a single title. On that note, I do want say I actually remember being a bit disappointed when the trophy list came out and there was two absences that seemed peculiar to me. One which was Diddy Kong, which was very bizarre considering how both Dixie Kong and K. Rool received trophies, and Diddy Kong himself being one of the most highly requested newcomers for Melee. Even to this day, people remark how bizarre that absence was. The other was the Pico not being a part of F-Zero's trophies. All of the classic pilots except him (Captain Falcon, Samurai Goroh, Dr. Stewart) had been given trophies (along with Jody Summer who was given the most focus of all the new pilots F-Zero X introduced), but Pico somehow did not get one. I was probably one of the few disappointed on this though.

However aside from that minor quibble, the rest of the trophy selection was absolutely incredible. I was extremely thankful to have a virtual museum for all of my favorite Nintendo franchises, and to see several of my favorite characters in 3D for the first time. The Ridley model in particular was something I spent a lot of time viewing. The level of detail attached to it, made me think at the time that perhaps Ridley was considered for a fighter, but they simply did not have the time nor did he have the priority (the likes of Wario, Diddy Kong, and King Dedede had not been added either). I daydreamed not just about Ridley being a fighter in Smash Bros., but also the day a 3D Metroid game finally would be made, and the trophies for Ridley, Metroid, and Kraid definitely wet my appetite for the upcoming GameCube title.

On that last one, aside from the trophy system, the other non-playable role surprise for me was Brinstar Depths. It actually was one of the things I was most hyped about in regards to Melee's hidden content. It was really nice to have a stage literally and figuratively revolve around one of Metroid's most iconic bosses. It also captured the moody atmospheric feel of the Metroid series that I did not think Planet Zebes or Brinstar had (a lot of this was thanks to Brinstar Depth's lighting and music track). Being able to see Kraid in 3D for the first time was really hype inducing. Funny enough, this ended up being his only 3D appearance.

Brawl:

Nothing in particular stood out from Brawl to me in terms of non-playable content, aside from liking that a lot of of the new stages borrowing more closely to particular titles in their respective series. I did like they Norfair was brought in as a location, as that was Ridley's stomping grounds in several titles to the Metroid series, and at the time it was confirmed it actually gave me hope Ridley would be playable in that title.

I did like that Brawl did include Pico as a trophy, but in general, I did not enjoy the trophy system as much as I did for Melee for two reasons. One is that the novelty of seeing many characters in 3D for the first time wore off, and secondly was that most of the trophies seemed to be direct model rips from particular GameCube and Wii titles.

I did not care much for the sticker system either, and I was disappointed you could not zoom in on them, or view them individually.

I did really like the massive song selection in Brawl. It was absolutely massive, I was surprised by just how much was included.

Smash 4 3DS:

As I have said a few times before, I never owned Smash 4 Wii U since I never owned a Wii U. However, there are two things from Smash 3DS that really made me smile in terms of non-roster content.

One was the inclusion of a stage based off of Balloon Fight. Balloon Fight is probably my favorite early NES title (titles released prior to Super Mario Bros.), and in general such a fun and underrated game. A part of me was hoping it would someday get some sort of major notice in Smash Bros. (the most conventional belief would be through a fighter since Ice Climbers, Pit, and ROB were all added). However, as a fan of Balloon Fight, I can say I am extremely happy with simply a stage representing this fun little title. It receiving a stage was one of the biggest pleasant surprises to me in regards to Smash 4 in general, and I was quite happy to see it in 3DS version to Smash 4 (which was the only version I ever got since I only owned a 3DS).

In general, I really liked the stage selection for a lot of the Smash 4 3DS stages. Gerudo Valley was something I had suggested as an idea back even before Brawl's announcement (though its implementation was a lot different than what I had in mind). Other standouts to me was the stage based of the SNES F-Zero and Magicant. I also felt Rainbow Road was the most fitting stage to represent the Mario Kart franchise as a whole (its peculiar why it did not come back for Ultimate).

Aside from stages, I really liked roster of Smash Run enemies. I was really happy they actually went with enemies from various Nintendo franchises instead of more of the bizarre kind of enemies found in the Subspace Emissary. It was a really nice selection and many of Nintendo's franchises got a nice shoutout.

Ultimate:

As I said before, personally, I liked the spirit system as it gives almost every single significant or notable thing from all of Nintendo's franchises some sort of shoutout. Leif from Fire Emblem (the only piece of Thracia 776 content in Ultimate, FE5 is actually the only FE title that is not a remake not to have any sort of song in Ultimate) , getting a spirit battle was really nice, as that is one of my favorite games in the whole series and Leif one of my favorite lords. In general, I was really surprised how comprehensive the list of spirits is, and there are very few notable absences in general.

I was happy that a remix of Lower Norfair finally ended up being part of the track list for the Metroid series (and just in time for Ridley's playable debut). In general, I really loved many of the remixes made for the Castlevania and Mega Man series (Cross Your Heart and Snake Man in particular are breathtaking). The music selection amazed me even more than Brawl's, and that is saying something.

The new Mii Costumes were another thing that was pleasantly surprised about. I really liked how many of Nintendo's minor franchises (Panel de Pon, Golden Sun, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo), many of which have been on hiatus for a long time, got a nice consolation prize shoutout in the form of Mii costumes of their series' icons. While those series going into hiatus meant they probably would not have been up for roster consideration even if the base game had more newcomer slots available, it was really nice of Sakurai and his team to acknowledge that those series are a part of Nintendo history and give them some sort of playable status in the game even if its Mii's role-playing as them.

Perhaps the biggest pleasant surprise for me though was something that I was probably the only person to feel quite a bit of hype in regards to its inclusion. A distant hope of mine in regards to Smash Bros. was that Pico would get some sort of notable role in Smash Bros. beyond being a trophy/spirit/sticker. However, with F-Zero being in hiatus for well over a decade, and Pico having non-existent popularity, I strongly doubted it would ever happen.

I never could have imagined outright sort of controlling him within Smash Bros. Using his spirit to activate the Wild Goose, was something that made Ultimate even more special to me, and was one of the stand out moments for me personally when playing through World of Light. It easily could have been Jody Summer (who was a trophy in Melee over him) or any other of the F-Zero characters included as spirits, but it somehow ended up being Pico. I never ever could have imagined controlling the Wild Goose in a Smash Bros. title, and this easily made up for disappointment I had with the him not having a trophy in Melee several times over.

Many characters will never have the "credentials" or right situation to make the roster, and I understood that for Pico, however, I still wanted something for a character whom was my personal favorite for one of my favorite Nintendo franchises. Pico's role in the World of Light may not have been on the level of an Assist Trophy or Mii Costume role, but it was still something that fulfilled what I was hoping for but thought most likely would never happen.

Closing thoughts:

As can be seen, while the roster is often what most discussion and speculation for Smash Bros. is driven for, there is still a lot of content that is outside of the roster that can also please fans of those particular games and characters. With Smash 64 it began with Ridley's background cameo, and now with Ultimate it is cruising in the Wild Goose. Some of the widest smiles I had in regards to Smash content were small touches like that to which I was not expecting at all.

For some of us, there are characters and games we love that simply will never make the roster (they either are too obscure and/or have little popularity), so seeing a notable sort of acknowledgement for them is just as pleasing as a personal favorite getting a spot on the roster.

I am not sure if anyone else has also experienced something similar to me where they were massively pleased with some sort of non-roster content, but I would like to hear from others on this topic as I am sure there at least a few others that have had similar experiences, and I am curious to see whom their "Pico's" are.

Thank you for your time in reading this short piece. I hope those that bothered to read it got at least a little enjoyment or amusement out of it.

I now open it up to the rest of this thread. Is there any non-roster content in the Smash Bros. series where you were very happy about its inclusion (particularly characters)? I am very curious to hear the personal stories people in this thread have to share.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
nintendo only pass if i had to choose
akira (astral chain)
baldr (bayonetta)
edelgard (claude and dimitri as assistant trophies)
Elma (xenblade x)
twintelle (ARMs)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Nintendo only pass huh?

Anybody (Rhythm Heaven)
Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Byleth (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
Min Min (ARMS)
Cinderace (Pokemon Sword and Shield)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Blaziken is all I really want for a Nintendo character at this point lol Hoenn's always been done dirty in these games.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The Nintendo-only pass idea has been done to death but dammit I like posting lists and talking about them. I'm trying not to be horribly biased by adding all my old Brawl wants like the Elite Beat Agents and Chibi-Robo and my oddball want Ryota/Akari Hayami but I love them all nonetheless.

1. Style Savvy Stylist - Most-wanted first-party by a mile. It's a great series with great music and a totally unique art style and aesthetic that will bring a lot to Smash. The original games were some of the most popular first-party titles in Japan during their releases and there's a big rumor we'll be getting a new one for Switch (which I'm really hoping is true). Plus I'm a sucker for non-fighters like Wii Fit Trainer getting into the battle. You can't tell me it wouldn't be super fun to hit your opponents with a purse or give them a makeover while poppy upbeat music plays in the background.

2. Officer Howard (Astral Chain) - The game is so cool. It's oozing style, the music is great, and having a Legion chained to you would make for a really cool, fun fighting style. The only puppet fighter we have is Rosalina & Luma and this would be an awesome twist. I've only just started Astral Chain but I'm already in love with it and think that Officer Howard would make a super cool addition to the roster as a modern rep.

3. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X) - I'm not very hot on the Xenoblade series for a lot of reasons, mostly because I'm grouchy and old and darn kids go play Xenosaga yadda yadda. But X was fun, with a really beautiful world and super cool music, and specifically Elma was a really cool character that I like a lot. Xenoblade X hit me just right. It's not one of my favorite games, but Elma as a character and the world as a whole has a special place in my life, especially since it came out during the Wii U era. It deserved better.

4. Impa (Hyrule Warriors) - Naginatas are cool. Impa is cool. Give her a Skyward Sword skin and her ninja moveset from HW and we're gold. She's badass. I prefer her HW iteration over the Sheik idea, especially since I really don't like how Sheik plays.

5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses Lord - To be more specific I'd personally rank the potential additions as Rhea > Claude = Byleth > Edelgard = Dimitri, but I genuinely love every single "main" character in Three Houses because it's a ****ing great game and every single one of these characters would bring a totally unique moveset and absolutely awesome music to Smash. None of them even touch my "most-wanted" lists but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy to see them.

Honorable mentions include Cranky Kong, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Captain Syrup, and a bunch of more obscure characters like the Elite Beat Agents, Ryota Hayami, and Kyle Hyde, but y'know, I'm just thinking about variety and marketability to an extent. Also I'm biased.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The Nintendo-only pass idea has been done to death but dammit I like posting lists and talking about them. I'm trying not to be horribly biased by adding all my old Brawl wants like the Elite Beat Agents and Chibi-Robo and my oddball want Ryota/Akari Hayami but I love them all nonetheless.

1. Style Savvy Stylist - Most-wanted first-party by a mile. It's a great series with great music and a totally unique art style and aesthetic that will bring a lot to Smash. The original games were some of the most popular first-party titles in Japan during their releases and there's a big rumor we'll be getting a new one for Switch (which I'm really hoping is true). Plus I'm a sucker for non-fighters like Wii Fit Trainer getting into the battle. You can't tell me it wouldn't be super fun to hit your opponents with a purse or give them a makeover while poppy upbeat music plays in the background.

2. Officer Howard (Astral Chain) - The game is so cool. It's oozing style, the music is great, and having a Legion chained to you would make for a really cool, fun fighting style. The only puppet fighter we have is Rosalina & Luma and this would be an awesome twist. I've only just started Astral Chain but I'm already in love with it and think that Officer Howard would make a super cool addition to the roster as a modern rep.

3. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X) - I'm not very hot on the Xenoblade series for a lot of reasons, mostly because I'm grouchy and old and darn kids go play Xenosaga yadda yadda. But X was fun, with a really beautiful world and super cool music, and specifically Elma was a really cool character that I like a lot. Xenoblade X hit me just right. It's not one of my favorite games, but Elma as a character and the world as a whole has a special place in my life, especially since it came out during the Wii U era. It deserved better.

4. Impa (Hyrule Warriors) - Naginatas are cool. Impa is cool. Give her a Skyward Sword skin and her ninja moveset from HW and we're gold. She's badass. I prefer her HW iteration over the Sheik idea, especially since I really don't like how Sheik plays.

5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses Lord - To be more specific I'd personally rank the potential additions as Rhea > Claude = Byleth > Edelgard = Dimitri, but I genuinely love every single "main" character in Three Houses because it's a ****ing great game and every single one of these characters would bring a totally unique moveset and absolutely awesome music to Smash. None of them even touch my "most-wanted" lists but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy to see them.

Honorable mentions include Cranky Kong, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Captain Syrup, and a bunch of more obscure characters like the Elite Beat Agents, Ryota Hayami, and Kyle Hyde, but y'know, I'm just thinking about variety and marketability to an extent. Also I'm biased.
This post officially has the best taste out of all of us because it mentions Kyle Hyde and gosh darn it that's just great taste.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
My Nintendo Pass:
Ganon (A Link to the Past)
Porky (EarthBound)
Dark Matter (Kirby)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Captain Syrup (Wario Land)

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Blaziken is all I really want for a Nintendo character at this point lol Hoenn's always been done dirty in these games.
Captain Falcon is just a Blaziken gijinka.

But in all seriousness, I've felt for years now that Pokémon Trainer in Brawl should've been Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald's trainer with a team consisting of Blaziken, Grovyle and Mudkip, instead of more generation one.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
My Nintendo Pass:
Ganon (A Link to the Past)
Porky (EarthBound)
Dark Matter (Kirby)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Captain Syrup (Wario Land)
More like Boss Pass.

But in all seriousness, I've felt for years now that Pokémon Trainer in Brawl should've been Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald's trainer with a team consisting of Blaziken, Grovyle and Mudkip, instead of more generation one.
I've felt for years now that mashing 3 Pokemon into one character is something that should have never happened.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Captain Falcon is just a Blaziken gijinka.

Oh my god yes, that would be more hype.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
1. Akari Hayami who doubles as a 1080* Snowboarding and Wave Racer rep.

2 a. Either Mike Jones from StarTropics or

2 b. Retro Guy. This man is an Urban Champion with karate from Kung Fu. His projectile is a golf ball he swings using a hockey stick. He holds the zapper like Gumshoe. He rides an Excitebike. His stage is a Pinball level. He looks slightly like 8 bit Mario but generic. He's less annoying than Duck Hunt.

3. Ring Fit Adventurer

4. Monita. I don't want this but the betch deserves to let out her Wii U angst. She does the "come here" finger movement when she walks.

5. This probably counts as third party, but f*** it. Veran from Oracle of Ages all day every day.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Big post to answer to several discussions.

Most likely first party character / franchise to get a new character?
Rythm Heaven or Golden Sun. I'm on those that believe Sakurai, on the first-parties side, will mainly please old fans rather than introduce newer IPs or characters of newers games.

For the record, Gwen is, just like me, and as far as I know, one of the people that has the Right Opinion™ about Xenoblade 2, and sees it as the bad game that it is.
I mean, the part about having The Right Opinion™ was a joke, hence the capitalization and the ™.
But I am very much serious about my dislike for that game, no matter which euphemism I use.
I am of those that liked XC2 less than XC or XCX. Saying it was bad is a clear overstatement however.
NB: I know you are joking

Elma is super good and the soundtrack banged
Only for that, XCX deserves more. More. And more.

XCX however had no such constraints so robbed very much applies there, Elma not making it in while some plant does makes little sense to me
At least there are some Elma persons here.

I totally forgot about Elma. I thought she had the best chance to be Smash DLC during Smash 4 and it never happened! It would be nice to see both XB2 and XBX both get someone from the next pass of characters especially if its a mix of first and third! The reason I said it earlier is because it seemed like a series that Nintendo was pushing hard, so the fact that it didn't get much content in Ultimate still kind of surprises me.
XCX seems to not have been that well received by a part of XC fanbase, but it was a great game and, seemingly, one that is liked by the fans of previous Xeno games. Being on Wii U didn't help either.
I personally never played Xenogears and Xenosaga, but I loved XCX. It's nothing like XC (which I loved too), for sure, but it was also a totally magnificent experience. I wish it would be remade on Switch, I would buy and play it again in a heartbeat.

the game that actually WAS robbed was ARMS. Search your feelings, you know it to be true
Make it a VR game on PC Nintendo, please.

What actually makes it likely? That’s something I’ve yet to understand.
Just to start, I personally don't find it "likely", just "possible".

If it’s fan demand, that gets pretty swiftly shut down considering fan demand for characters like Geno has been potent for years. It’s not like Sakurai hasn’t known.
There were a limited number of slots, and stronger characters got in before. There would have been 10 more places, the story would have been way different for a lot of fan requests.

Fan polls (which I hardly find meaningful anymore) show most fans are looking forward to 3rd parties. Sakurai has looked at “the record “ of playable character from nearly 40 different series. Many spirit/AT upgrades don’t do that.
That's maybe because you are looking at more recent polls? There's still a lot of first parties in poll that preceed the launch of the game.
Nowadays, there are hardly anything but 3rd parties, and a few of the old guard 1st parties.

After how much Wars has been neglected in Smash, I'd honestly be thrilled with a stage.
That would be a good start, yeah. And music remixes. Please.

1. Dixie Kong (DK)
2. Impa (Zelda)
3. Rex & Pyra/Mythra (Xenoblade)
4. Isaac (Golden Sun)
5. Krystal (Star Fox)
For the sake of representativity, remove Krystal and put another unrepresented IP like Advance Wars or Rythm Heaven character and we are good. Such a pass would please me.
Personnal bias would also replace Rex by Elma. She would be so much more interesting than Rex with Aegis.

If it was only my own personal wants:
  1. Isaac (+ remake please)
  2. Elma (+ remaster please)
  3. Waluigi
  4. Advance Wars rep (+ reboot please)
  5. That's all for me. But honestly, only Isaac would be enough for me. For fifth, I would chose a fellow unrepresented IP, like Rythm Heaven probably, instead of adding another character on already represented ones (especially not for such a niche serie like EarthBound or Kid Icarus or already loaded ones like Pokémon or Fire Emblem, even if I like these series).
I'd rather us get another Final Fantasy character. Not from VII. There's so much more to Final Fantasy than just VII and the fact that we haven't gotten ANY music at least, let alone stages or Spirits or bosses, from ANY other FF is downright criminal. Especially with a soundtrack as good as 4 and 6's. As a matter of fact a lot of people wanted Black Mage before Cloud came around so you know what? Why not?
XI or XIV, please. You want a good soundtrack, the latter especially delivers (though both are good).
Bring us Derplander from FFXIV. Class change! Otherwise, summoner Alphinaud.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's my pass:
1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Byleth
3. Lycanroc
4. Ayumi Tachibana
5. Waluigi, because why not.

Honourable mention to Issac, but I wanted the first 4 more and thought Waluigi would make more people happy.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Oh boy Nintendo pass time. My picks would be:
  1. Rex + Pyra/Mythra
  2. Any of the major FE Three Houses character (Byleth, Edelgard, Dimitri, or Claude)
  3. Dixie Kong
  4. Waluigi
  5. Ashley

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
1. Bandana Dee
2. Black Shadow
3. Dixie Kong
4. Elma
5. Medusa

1 and 3 are more for the fans and being the remaining Nintendo all-stars.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
We talking Nintendo only now?

Easy.
  1. Midna + Wolf Link
  2. Min Min
  3. Edelgard
  4. Geno
  5. Waluigi
Nice variance in series representation, character design and moveset potential.

MooMew64

We talking Nintendo only now?

Easy.
  1. Midna + Wolf Link
  2. Min Min
  3. Edelgard
  4. Geno
  5. Waluigi
Nice variance in series representation, character design and moveset potential.
After I got Inklings, Waluigi and Midna were my most wanted before that dang E3 AT segment, lol.

If some miracle happened and we got AT upgrades, Waluigi, Midna, and Ashley would all make me FLIP out. Like, jumping up and down screaming kinda flip out. It would be amazing.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nintendo pass huh?

Well if we factor out reality, I'd go for

1. Krystal
2. Edelgard
3. Dixie Kong
4. Min Min
5. Gardevoir

Hon mention: Ring Fit Adventurer, Gooigi

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Welp, no way is Nintendo gonna announce a direct around Thanksgiving, out of respect for American viewers I guess.

guess it’ll be a TGA reveal at this rate...

imagine though, how funny it would be if like. Someone hacked into the playlist and leaked the private video they’ve been hiding since after Terry lmaooooooo

MooMew64

Welp, no way is Nintendo gonna announce a direct around Thanksgiving, out of respect for American viewers I guess.

imagine though, how funny it would be if like. Someone hacked into the playlist and leaked the private video they’ve been hiding since after Terry lmaooooooo
I mean, TGA was pretty much always our #1 most likely spot. Anything earlier was kinda wishful thinking, as nice as it would have been.

Also not ruling out January. Very possible that they could make us wait 'till January: FP5 announced in a winter Direct, gives more info on how post-pass content is gonna go, and maybe a timeframe on when to expect them. I'm personally not expecting a full on new season of 5+ characters, but who knows.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
For the sake of representativity, remove Krystal and put another unrepresented IP like Advance Wars or Rythm Heaven character and we are good. Such a pass would please me.
Why Krystal in particular? If my 5th character was a character like Sylux (who's from a series that already had two newcomers this game and is an unimportant character in general within his series), Porky (who's from a series that already has more than enough for what it is), or another Pokemon (a series that already had a net gain of 4 characters within Ultimate alone), then I could understand wanting to remove those characters and replace them with an Advance Wars or Rhythm Heaven rep (which are both series that I really want to get a rep as well). But Star Fox hasn't gotten a newcomer since Brawl, I don't think they would be overrepresented with Krystal compared to if some of the other series got new unique reps like Mother, Metroid, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mario, etc. Why don't you go after the lists that include newcomers to those series, because those are far more unbalanced than my list.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

I mean, TGA was pretty much always our #1 most likely spot. Anything earlier was kinda wishful thinking, as nice as it would have been.

Also not ruling out January. Very possible that they could make us wait 'till January: FP5 announced in a winter Direct, gives more info on how post-pass content is gonna go, and maybe a timeframe on when to expect them. I'm personally not expecting a full on new season of 5+ characters, but who knows.
There's also December 7th in response to Ultimate's 1 year anniversary.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Oh boy Nintendo pass time. My picks would be:
  1. Rex + Pyra/Mythra
  2. Any of the major FE Three Houses character (Byleth, Edelgard, Dimitri, or Claude)
  3. Dixie Kong
  4. Waluigi
  5. Ashley
My picks are literally your picks lol
The only difference is that it's a coin toss between a TH character and Lyn for me.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Guess I'll join in on the nintendo picks.

1. Rex + Mythra/Pyra
2. Celica
3. Edelgard (Byleth/Dimitri/Claude would be very cool too)
4. Elma
5. Midna

D

Deleted member

It would be really nice to have a unique female Fire Emblem rep that actually has 8 costumes for once.
Well that's a reason why people want Edelgard.

I want Lyn specifically though.

EBECI9gWsAECC3j.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom