• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Yeah I’m thinking it’s a Sony Rep at this point, people say Namco but everyone seems to forget that Sakurai himself stated that out of all the Namco options the only one he wanted was Pac-Man, he only considered Heihachi but thought he would be too difficult
Sakurai saying that Heihachi was too difficult was all the way back during Smash 4, or at least somewhere around that time. Like with Ridley being too big, it's something that he could've changed his mind on since.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
You guys can put more focus on the roster if you want to, but the complete package is what makes Super Smash what it is. Challenges, stages, music, items, and all of that side **** is necessary and equally important. Idgaf if we had 1,000 characters; the game would be total ass without the sum of its parts.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If Fighter 5 ends up being a Resident Evil character, you know what the best part is?

There's a possibility that the Smash Ultimate soundtrack will end up getting this masterpiece...

D

Deleted member

So... I had a dream a couple nights ago, and it involved something like this.

Voiced By ZXGames (12).png

Like with Bad Movie Sonic, I must now actively support Ratatouille representation. Don't try to stop me.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Ok so
-No Geno
-No Doom
-No Scorpion
-No Tracer
-No half life
-Capcoms unlikely
-supposed to be mindblowing
-Meant to be the final pass
Did I miss something? I haven't paid attention to this thread today, so did anything big go down after Vergeburger saying Gordon isn't FP5?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Sakurai saying that Heihachi was too difficult was all the way back during Smash 4, or at least somewhere around that time. Like with Ridley being too big, it's something that he could've changed his mind on since.
It was probably that he had porting his moveset into a 2D space, which would be weird given that heihachi has 2 2D fighters under his belt.

Though maybe Incineroar is compensation because they share the same actor?

Ok so
-No Geno
-No Doom
-No Scorpion
-No Tracer
-No half life
-Capcoms unlikely
Yeah I’m thinking it’s a Sony Rep at this point, people say Namco but everyone seems to forget that Sakurai himself stated that out of all the Namco options the only one he wanted was Pac-Man, he only considered Heihachi but thought he would be too difficult
And even if our first Sony rep is Kratos hopefully we could get another soooooo
View attachment 248109
sakurai please
Inb4 it's actually Sora.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
We don’t have a single new stage in Ultimate representing a franchise that isn’t playable so yeah, I have a hard time seeing the point of “stages are representation too!” when they never represent something not already present as playable.
If they, say, included an ARMS or Xenoblade X stage but had no fighters for them, then I could see the point. If they had stages for underrepresented franchises like Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment etc and not a dozen variants on SMB 1-1 I could see the point. But Smash hasn’t focused on that since Ultimate’s development and that certainly won’t change during DLC.
Personally as a hardcore Elma/XBX fan I think a stage would represent XBX much better than a character since exploring the world and varied locales is the main appeal of the game, but we have never really seen Nintendo games primarily represented in Smash with stages outside of quirky one-offs and experimental titles.

D

Deleted member

We don’t have a single new stage in Ultimate representing a franchise that isn’t playable so yeah, I have a hard time seeing the point of “stages are representation too!” when they never represent something not already present as playable.
If they, say, included an ARMS or Xenoblade X stage but had no fighters for them, then I could see the point. If they had stages for underrepresented franchises like Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment etc and not a dozen variants on SMB 1-1 I could see the point. But Smash hasn’t focused on that since Ultimate’s development and that certainly won’t change during DLC.
Personally as a hardcore Elma/XBX fan I think a stage would represent XBX much better than a character since exploring the world and varied locales is the main appeal of the game, but we have never really seen Nintendo games primarily represented in Smash with stages outside of quirky one-offs and experimental titles.
Hanenbow from Elektroplankton comes to mind alongside Nintendogs, there's Wrecking Crew as well. Edit nevermind, missed the new comment :b

Last edited by a moderator:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

View attachment 248110

Like with Bad Movie Sonic, I must now actively support Ratatouille representation. Don't try to stop me.
I love Smash dreams because weird stuff like this happens. My brother told me he dreamed that The Incredible Hulk was DLC 5 and that the first character post pass was a My Little Pony.

D

Deleted member

I love Smash dreams because weird stuff like this happens. My brother told me he dreamed that The Incredible Hulk was DLC 5 and that the first character post pass was a My Little Pony.
Smash really is Mugen at this point. We even have SNK.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Speaking of Sony, that Famitsu tournament they entered was indeed their PlayStation division.

Not that it means we’re getting a Sony character, but it’s still cool and kinda funny given what some people said. There was even an image from it using the PlayStation logo.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Vergeburger
I have no idea if this was intentional or not but this is so great, ahaha. BTW, ya didn't miss anything. In fact... Today was so bad, I think Nintendo might shadow drop something out of pity.

Oh, you're looking for a series that is consistently ground-breaking, not one that derivates off itself once it finds a successful formula, like...

Uh...

Like...
Uhhhh....

Hmm.
Style Savvy.

View attachment 248110

The world isn't ready for my weird Smash dream.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Ok so
-No Geno
-No Doom
-No Scorpion
-No Tracer
-No half life
-Capcoms unlikely
And even if our first Sony rep is Kratos hopefully we could get another soooooo
View attachment 248109
sakurai please
We're not getting a Sony-created character. Ever.

Look...I want Master Chief as much as the next guy so I can fulfill my Samus vs. Chief childhood dreams. And it would be wicked to see Kratos or Sackboy join the fight. But the thought of these fighters was never seriously entertained by the community ever until Banjo and Kazooie showed. Why? Because it's ridiculous. The only problem is it's still ridiculous.

BK are different from every character that is first-party to a competitor in some major ways:

1. A lot of these wishlist characters were created by competitor's first-party or second-party studios. BK were not. They were created by Rare (formerly known as Rareware), which were purchased from Nintendo in the early 2000s.
2. Being a company that was purchased from Nintendo, that means that BK was, at one point, a second-party or first-party character for Nintendo. This is a very unique position held by a few game mascots, such as: the Battletoads, Joanna Dark, Conker, and my favorite, Jet Force Gemini. At one point, all of these IP were Nintendo's.
3. BK are part of a franchise that hasn't seen a game in 10+ years. I would imagine that Microsoft doesn't care too much about the duo and has no plans to revive them, so having them be guests on a Nintendo platform is, in their minds, probably better than sinking thousands of dollars into a sequel.
4. BK don't represent the Xbox brand like Master Chief and Marcus Fenix do (or Sackboy, Kratos, and Nathan Drake do for PlayStation). When the company's image is at stake, corporations get a lot more stingy with how their IP are utilized.
5. Competitors' first-party IPs have rarely appeared on Nintendo consoles. With Sony, it's a straight never (please correct me if I'm wrong). With Microsoft, there been a few indie games that have appeared, but for the characters that people are wanting, it's never happened. (Minecraft is kind of an exception because it was purchased by Microsoft when it was already on a couple platforms. I understand that it started to appear on Nintendo platforms after this acquisition, but it's still kind of a unique case. This is honestly the only other IP from a competitor that I can see making into the DLC.)

So until the Master Chief collection is on the Switch or Nintendo purchases Naughty Dog, it's probably good to keep your pipe dreams in their...pipes.

I actually do agree with this.

People like to tote around "Smash representation is more than characters" which granted, is true, but...
View attachment 248106
Who cares?

No seriously, go to any Smash fan who's got a wanted newcomer.
Do you think Midna fans care that the Bridge of Eldin is a stage? Bandanna Dee fans that care about Dreamland 64? How about Isaac or Shadow fans with assist trophies? Maybe their songs got into smash, maybe they get to appear in the background of a stage or hey, maybe they got even a wonky looking mii costume. Is that "satisfactory" for anyone who's a fan of these characters?
Hell no.

Conversely, look at people that got their characters in with little to nothing else, for example Roy fans. You think those people care that Roy comes standalone with zero spirits, zero related assist trophies, zero stages, zero anything and like... one music track?
Also Hell no.
They get to ACTUALLY ****in' play as a character they like.

Guess what, I'm pretty sure most people would actively cut 50 stages, 100 music tracks, and 200 spirits, if it meant they got to have their characters playable and only playable.
Yes. I would absolutely Thanos snap half of the SNK songs, half of the Street Fighter songs, 1/3 of the Pokemon and Mario spirits, Pac-Land, and at least 5-8 characters for Isaac in Smash. No hesitation. SNAP!

What I'm seeing here is that so many Nintendo games got robbed.

I say we bring on an all-Nintendo Pass.
Yes. Prease prease so hard yes.

1. Isaac from Golden Sun (Holler at my boi! #NeverLoseHope)
2. Rex and Pyra/Mythra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2
3. Malos from Xenoblade Chronicles 2
4. Dixie Kong from Donkey Kong Country
5. Hades from Kid Icarus: Uprising

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

View attachment 248110

**** Remy, I'm waiting for Mr. Incredible to make his return from Super Smash Flash 1 as the sole Pixar rep. Sakurai can't say "everyone is here" and then leave out such classic characters as Mr. Incredible, Inuyasha, and uhhhh *checks writing on hand* Sonic OC Blade the Hedgehog.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Hanenbow from Elektroplankton comes to mind alongside Nintendogs, there's Wrecking Crew as well. Edit nevermind, missed the new comment :b
Hanenbow and Nintendogs are both pretty quirky, and the same could be said for Tomodachi Life, Miiverse, PictoChat, Mii Quest, etc. Stages more like Wrecking Crew (ie not old sprites but brand spanking new HD models and reimagining) except for games that aren't 20 years old are what I'd really like to see in Smash to flesh out more franchises.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What I'm seeing here is that so many Nintendo games got robbed.

I say we bring on an all-Nintendo Pass.
1. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
2. Octoling (Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion)
3. Black Shadow (F-Zero Series)
4. Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby Series)
5. Akira Howard/Legionis (Astral Chain)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Guess what, I'm pretty sure most people would actively cut 50 stages, 100 music tracks, and 200 spirits, if it meant they got to have their characters playable and only playable.
I wouldn't go quite that far, especially the music since that's the 2nd best thing about Smash besides the roster.

KatKit

Smash Lord
You're right about that.

Nobody knows who they are, but it's provocative.

**** Remy, I'm waiting for Mr. Incredible to make his return from Super Smash Flash 1 as the sole Pixar rep. Sakurai can't say "everyone is here" and then leave out such classic characters as Mr. Incredible, Inuyasha, and uhhhh *checks writing on hand* Sonic OC Blade the Hedgehog.
I haven't played that game since it first came out when I was a kid, but it's what introduced me to Lloyd.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

View attachment 248110

Hey I once dreamed Ed Edd and Eddy were in Smash... 15 years ago...
Back to goin on tangents as to why Agitha would be a fun LoZ character for me...

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
OK yep, officially on board for Toxtricity

probably won't get in during Ultimate unless he's one of the very last characters, but he is just way too awesome to keep out
plus the game itself seems to be hyping him up between giving you one for free, and various visual references to him

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
As far as bringing in new series through stages, the following could work:
  • Doshin the Giant
  • Captain Rainbow (a crossover within a crossover)
  • Nintendo Land (same)
  • Game Boy Camera
  • 1080º
  • Wave Race
  • Rhythm Tengoku
  • Disaster
  • Galactic Pinball or Nester's Funky Bowling*
*I want a Virtual Boy-themed stage in the game, and while my initial pick would be the Awazon Temple from Wario Land, for a fresh series, either of these would be good. I'm partial to the former since pinball is something I really think Smash should acknowledge in a meaningful way, but getting a reference to Nester in Smash would be fun as well.

Good thing it didn't come true. Otherwise the Eds would be left at the mercy of Galeem...
More like Ded, Dedd, and Deddy, am I right?

Because they'd all be dead...
Nothing?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As far as bringing in new series through stages, the following could work:
  • Doshin the Giant
  • Captain Rainbow (a crossover within a crossover)
  • Nintendo Land (same)
  • Game Boy Camera
  • 1080º
  • Wave Race
  • Rhythm Tengoku
  • Disaster
  • Galactic Pinball or Nester's Funky Bowling*
*I want a Virtual Boy-themed stage in the game, and while my initial pick would be the Awazon Temple from Wario Land, for a fresh series, either of these would be good. I'm partial to the former since pinball is something I really think Smash should acknowledge in a meaningful way, but getting a reference to Nester in Smash would be fun as well.

More like Ded, Dedd, and Deddy, am I right?

Because they'd all be dead...
Nothing?
Doshin would be a great AT but I think something must be up with his rights since there's been literally nothing from the series whatsoever in Smash since his developer went under.

I mean he was probably in the chronicle, but even Banjo-Kazooie, Bomberman and Hamtaro were in the Chronicle.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Y'all need to actually read what I'm posting. I love BOTW. I love many Zelda games. I never said I hate anything about Zelda. I said it's a very basic franchise.

Your favorite RPGs owe A TON to any revolutionary Zelda (like i said before: LttP, OoT, BotW).

BotW is literally a giant motherf*****g sandbox with no rules and you're going to make a claim that its more "basic" than Witcher 3? Why? Cause theres no VO during a bathtub sex scene?

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Characters may be the “most important” part of the mascot crossover that is Smash, but the fan base has to release that there’s always going to be characters that aren’t going to be playable.

Not to mention, part of Smash is the additional content. The collection of music is fantastic. The different locations, especially mixed with that music can produce some real fan service.

I mean, I don’t know what else to say aside from...better luck next time? Sucks that someone’s favorites aren’t playable, but that’s going to happen no matter what.

It doesn’t really matter what the fan base views as “representation that matters”, the fact remains that Zelda has some of the most content in Smash compared to other series. If the dev team feels that balances things out, then, for now, we basically have to deal with it.
...So what was the point of this whole discussion? That you want people to stop asking for certain characters?

D

Deleted member

BTW, ya didn't miss anything. In fact... Today was so bad, I think Nintendo might shadow drop something out of pity.
Ah alright. We're still in that dread period huh? Maybe Nintendo outta release a Smash trailer this Thursday to see how thankful people are for a character they either didn't see coming or didn't ask for.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I don't have any strong feelings towards Ezio in Smash, but if he comes with an Italian stage, I can at least die happy knowing that between that and Joker, I can do a decent job pretending there's Jojo content in this game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I kinda do wish they’d pull a Robin/Lucina and do an impromptu trailer out of nowhere too

sadly it seems that was a one time thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom