• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty excited for the 5th fighter. Even though I have a feeling it will be 2B, on the chance that it's not, I hope everyone will be happy with the 5th Fighter and I will be excited to play them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm just saying that it wouldn't be too much of a surprise for Gordon to come off as a "literal who" to a big chunk of the audience that was most likely raised primarily on Nintendo games. Hell, the only thing that I knew about Half Life for the longest time was that Valve doesn't count after 2.
Oh, for sure he'll come off as a literal who to some people, hence my joke. And I don't fault them for knowing Nintendo characters (or whatever Geno is) a lot better if that's their thing. I know Nintendo characters better than Valve characters, that's for sure.

But it's like... were it the reverse, going "who's this Link guy, I wanted Meepo from Dota 2!".

People can want whatever they want, it's not about that. I want Isaac and yet I used him in my example. It's just funny how the bubble distorts who's a "literal who".

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
We all sort of justify it by going indepth with their roots on Nintendo systems, but no one seriously thinks about that. Can I ask you all how did any of you all react to Joker from Persona 5?

Was it, "Yeah. Persona makes sense. It was a spinoff from a notable NES series and Q2 released on 3ds a couple weeks ago. Not a bad pick."

Or was it,
"View attachment 247840"

It was total shock right? Not a single person would think Joker made sense if you leaked him ahead of time.
I mean yeah of course it was a shocker but when you really stop to think about it and put everything together Joker does make a great deal of sense for Smash when you get past that first-level shock.

Smash isn't all about shock-factor ya know.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Was it, "Yeah. Persona makes sense. It was a spinoff from a notable NES series and Q2 released on 3ds a couple weeks ago. Not a bad pick."
I'll put it this way. I was more shocked that Joker's trailer was a Smash trailer than I was for Joker being in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean yeah of course it was a shocker but when you really stop to think about it and put everything together Joker does make a great deal of sense for Smash when you get past that first-level shock.

Smash isn't all about shock-factor ya know.
My point is we were all shocked because none of us expected Joker. Why was that? Even though he and every other character has a presence on Nintendo in some way, it's clear any sense and justification we make up for characters is only after-the-fact. Ergo, the bar for what we can expect is always raised. I wouldn't discount literally any newcomer just because they weren't on a Nintendo console yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
One thing I wanted to point out, but forgot. The conversation about Smash being mainly made for casuals? I don’t actually agree.

Sakurai has said a few times that it’s something he thinks about, and that he wants to make a game for everybody. Casuals, competitive, fans of all sorts of different genres. After all, Sakurai doesn’t care about console wars...the man owns more than a few non-Nintendo consoles himself.

As far as character picks, let’s look at Dante. Devil May Cry first appeared on Nintendo consoles in the last year. People know Dante for his personality, his pistols Ebony & Ivory, and his big-ass sword, Rebellion. Would he have been any worse of a pick for Smash before he showed up on Switch? I personally don’t think so. He’s still Dante, a ****-talking, quick shooting, sword wielding beat em up star.

I think that we’re looking at a crossroads between fan preference and what the director himself has said. It’s a courtesy, not a requirement or “password” for entry.

But eh, maybe I’m just an old kook. I just think there are some amazing or unique picks that would be nullified by the “connection to Nintendo” bit.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Also going back to the Gordon Freeman in Smash leak; the leaker mentions that the game will have photo-realistic next-gen graphics, but I have a hard time seeing that from the trailer.

The game definitely has some semblance of a realistic artstyle, but it still feels as though it is still stylized.

When I think photo realistic graphics, I think of games associated heavily with playstation like Death Stranding, TLOU, Uncharted, and God of War. I don't think HL:Alyx looks "photorealistc".

Leaning towards fake as HL: Alyx was heavily rumored to be in development around the same time this "leak" came out. It was also rumored to be VR exclusive too.

D

Deleted member

Seeing Gordon being talked about more and more with the announcement of Half Life: Alyx, I don't understand why some people would be uninterested with Gordon in Smash while also wanting Master Chief or any Sony owned character in Smash. Even when Microsoft are involved with Smash now, Halo is currently in the same position as Half Life when it comes to having a Nintendo connection, which there is no connection at all, and I don't even have to go into details about Sony.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Cloud and Joker are some of my favorites, but to at least have so much as a single appearance on a Nintendo console is something that would be nice for a character or franchise.
"He's too big!" - :ultridley:

"Too irrelevant!" - :ultkrool:

"Too third party!" - :ultbanjokazooie:

When are you all going to learn from these so called fan rules people makes up?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
My point is we were all shocked because none of us expected Joker. Why was that? Even though he and every other character has a presence on Nintendo in some way, it's clear any sense and justification we make up for characters is only after-the-fact. Ergo, the bar for what we can expect is always raised. I wouldn't discount literally any newcomer just because they weren't on a Nintendo console yet.
I'm not necessarily discounting anyone just yet but moreso I kind of feel atm that going off of every guest inclusion we've gotten usually there's at least a connection of some form that justifies their inclusion in one way or another, which is why I think it's important to keep in mind when thinking about other inclusions.

This is why I find the thought of an inclusion like Gordon Freeman to be something that makes me raise an eyebrow, like anything is possible, but at the moment something about it seems a bit too far out for me to even really consider it being a realistic possibility.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
"He's too big!" - :ultridley:

"Too irrelevant!" - :ultkrool:

"Too third party!" - :ultbanjokazooie:

When are you all going to learn from these so called fan rules people makes up?
I'm going to learn that there are still rules that exist no matter how many get broken. Such as Sakurai flat out stating Goku and Iron Man and other 4th Parties will NEVER be in Smash.

"Not from a video game" is one of the most essential reasons for excluding additions. "Never touched Nintendo at all" should be another.

Just because some rules get broken doesn't mean they'll all be. The slippery slope's not a ravine.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not necessarily discounting anyone just yet but moreso I kind of feel atm that going off of every guest inclusion we've gotten usually there's at least a connection of some form that justifies their inclusion in one way or another, which is why I think it's important to keep in mind when thinking about other inclusions.

This is why I find the thought of an inclusion like Gordon Freeman to be something that makes me raise an eyebrow, like anything is possible, but at the moment something about it seems a bit too far out for me to even really consider it being a realistic possibility.
I feel you. Valve has zero Nintendo presence and Freeman, the 21st century realistic adult male, would stick out like a sore thumb, especially because Half Life would be the first FPS series (not counting Metroid) to be included in Smash.

But that's what makes the idea of his reveal that more tantalizing for me :laugh:. He would break the ****ing internet.

SKX31

Smash Master
Oh, for sure he'll come off as a literal who to some people, hence my joke. And I don't fault them for knowing Nintendo characters (or whatever Geno is) a lot better if that's their thing. I know Nintendo characters better than Valve characters, that's for sure.

But it's like... were it the reverse, going "who's this Link guy, I wanted Meepo from Dota 2!".

People can want whatever they want, it's not about that. I want Isaac and yet I used him in my example. It's just funny how the bubble distorts who's a "literal who".
Hey, that's my cue! What with the gnome Nolan North Ice Climbers (but with one original and four clones) trapping people in nets and beating them with shovels. With the catch that if one of the five (original or one of the clones) die they all die. I'd so pay for that in that hypotheoretical scenario - as practically impossible as that would be in Smash. And that's considering Meepo's micromanagement hell for anyone who hasn't mastered the character in his native game.

Seeing Gordon being talked about more and more with the announcement of Half Life: Alyx, I don't understand why some people would be uninterested with Gordon in Smash while also wanting Master Chief or any Sony owned character in Smash. Even when Microsoft are involved with Smash now, Halo is currently in the same position as Half Life when it comes to having a Nintendo connection, which there is no connection at all, and I don't even have to go into details about Sony.
I suppose it's due tor differing interest in the characters / games themselves (for example, Halo is completely separated from Half Life in terms of setting, characters and gameplay focus despite the two being centered around human-alien conflict) mostly. Half Life's only known for its single player campaign, Halo has a legacy in multiplayer. Chief and Gordon differ as characters, etc.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I feel you. Valve has zero Nintendo presence and Freeman, the 21st century adult male, would stick out like a sore thumb, especially because Half Life would be the first FPS series (not counting Metroid) to be included in Smash.

But that's what makes the idea of his reveal that more tantalizing for me :laugh:. He would break the ****ing internet.
What'd also be interesting is that he'd also be the very first character on the roster to be made completely in the West with no Japanese input whatsoever.

Diddy, K. Rool, and Dark Samus were all made for Japanese franchises despite being made in the UK and USA respectively, and Banjo had Nintendo heavily involved in the process in his creation, so yeah, if Gordon got in he'd legitimately change everything we speculate in terms of Smash because of how different in background and connections he is.

D

Deleted member

What'd also be interesting is that he'd also be the very first character on the roster to be made completely in the West with no Japanese input whatsoever.

Diddy, K. Rool, and Dark Samus were all made for Japanese franchises despite being made in the UK and USA respectively, and Banjo had Nintendo heavily involved in the process in his creation, so yeah, if Gordon got in he'd legitimately change everything we speculate in terms of Smash because of how different in background and connections he is.
And imagine if we got Portal and TF2 spirits along with him. Anything's possible after that.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, I don’t actually think Gordon Freeman will be in Smash. I highly doubt that leak.

I just think the “connection to Nintendo” is more valid to fans than to Sakurai. Doesn’t mean it’s not important, but I don’t necessarily think it’s something that effects the actual decision making in a meaningful way.

One other thing. When it comes to that “Nintendo connection”, I have to point something that I have noticed. Guess what series actually has a pretty visible connection to Nintendo that a very small percentage of Smash fans (...basically me and staindgrey staindgrey ) talks about seriously?

Mother****ing. Resident Evil.

Plenty of releases on Nintendo consoles, is the highest selling Japanese-created series not yet in Smash, has iconic characters (Leon, Chris, Jill), has plenty of gameplay potential (risk/reward, supply management, etc). Yet nobody, not even the “Nintendo connection” folks talk about it.

I don’t know if it’s bias or just general lack of knowledge of the series. But if it’s really about relationship with Nintendo, then I think it should be talked about more.

@Bolderousness and Gentlepanda Gentlepanda come at me with those copypastas.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I mean, I don’t actually think Gordon Freeman will be in Smash. I highly doubt that leak.

I just think the “connection to Nintendo” is more valid to fans than to Sakurai. Doesn’t mean it’s not important, but I don’t necessarily think it’s something that effects the actual decision making in a meaningful way.

One other thing. When it comes to that “Nintendo connection”, I have to point something that I have noticed. Guess what series actually has a pretty visible connection to Nintendo that a very small percentage of Smash fans (...basically me and staindgrey staindgrey ) talks about seriously?

Plenty of releases on Nintendo consoles, is the highest selling Japanese-created series not yet in Smash, has iconic characters (Leon, Chris, Jill), has plenty of gameplay potential (risk/reward, supply management, etc). Yet nobody, not even the “Nintendo connection” folks talk about it.

I don’t know if it’s bias or just general lack of knowledge of the series. But if it’s really about relationship with Nintendo, then I think it should be talked about more.

now on the one hand, we could talk about capcom's extensive lineup of IPs

on the other hand, we can talk about Resident Evil, known in Japan as Biohazard,[a] is a Japanese horror media franchise created by Shinji Mikami and Tokuro Fujiwara,[1][2] and owned by the video game company Capcom. The franchise focuses on a series of survival horror games and includes live-action films, animated films, comic books, novels, audio dramas, and merchandise. The story follows outbreaks of zombies and other monsters created mainly by the Umbrella Corporation.

The first Resident Evil video game was released in 1996, taking place in

D

Deleted member

Look man, I just don't agree with your support for Resident Evil. After all did you know that Resident Evil, known in Japan as Biohazard,[a] is a Japanese horror media franchise created by Shinji Mikami and Tokuro Fujiwara,[1][2] and owned by the video game company Capcom. The franchise focuses on a series of survival horror games and includes live-action films, animated films, comic books, novels, audio dramas, and merchandise. The story follows outbreaks of zombies and other monsters created mainly by the Umbrella Corporation.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Honestly any character that can top "best gaming protagonist" lists on a semi-regular basis is probably iconic enough to be in Smash without a previous connection. Especially when those connections are as tenuous as "was in a spin-off of a completely different series 2-3 console generations back" or "latest protag of a spin-off of a franchise that has a connection".

Makes more sense if you think of it as "Mario, Sonic and Gordon Freeman are all recognizable beloved characters" and not "well Mario is Nintendo and Sega was rivals with Nintendo and Gordon Freeman cameoed in Portal Bridge Builder".

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
What if during the VGA's:
The final trailer picks up after the Kingdom hearts 3 secret ending, Sora is wandering around Shibuya, leading people to think it's Kingdom hearts 4. Then he comes across a battle between Joker (Because he lives near shibuya) and some of the Smash villains, Sora jumps in and it cuts to gameplay, showing Sora on a Shibuya stage that seemingly has no connection to Kingdom hearts, then it cuts to a cutscene where Sora is cornered and out of the blue another character who always shows up in shibuya whenever game world's intersect appears to help:
PXZ2-ReijiArisu.png

Season 1 character pack 5: Reiji
Season 2 character pack 1:Sora

A Namco character with no hype announced alongside a character with all the hype.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Regarding the Gordon leaks: did anyone leak the March 2020 release date for Alyx? Because that doesn't really seem like an "easy guess" to me. Even then, the person may have made the Smash part up to "spice" the leak.

Still taking this one with a grain of salt. I particularly don't care for Gordon, but I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't be huge. Plus it would make a friend of mine very happy.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Portal Bridge Constructor came to Switch and Lego Dimensions had Portal stuff on WiiU and given how it takes place in the Half Life Universe, it could be argued that Half Life has appeared on a Nintendo console, even if the only linking factor is the Black Mesa facility.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well Portal Bridge Constructor came to Switch and Lego Dimensions had Portal stuff on WiiU and given how it takes place in the Half Life Universe, it could be argued that Half Life has appeared on a Nintendo console, even if the only linking factor is the Black Mesa facility.
Chell for Smash instead of Gordan then. Always liked Portal more anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I do wonder why so much resistance regarding Gordon in Smash, given the discussions of late. I'm just surprised that no one brought the Nintendo connection up with Heavy or the cool guy Halo.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It doesn't exist. It's a good thing Vergeben never actually backed it or else I would have believed it would be in the game.

Use your memory here. Vergeben had a source who said Minecraft content was in. However, he was never sure on it and frequently checked multiple times to verify what they meant. He never got a concrete answer and just repeated what that source said without any idea what he meant.

Users like DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones confirmed that this source was fake in the end and was unrelated to any of Vergeben's main sources.
Indeed. Can confirm Verge's Minecraft "source" was making it up for attention.

It's sad really.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Indeed. Can confirm Verge's Minecraft "source" was making it up for attention.

It's sad really.
Well I have to thank Vergeben’s source for kickstarting serious Steve and Minecraft discussion (even if Hitagi was the one who said Steve) and pushback against the haters.

Maybe he’ll get in the next pass.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I do wonder why so much resistance regarding Gordon in Smash, given the discussions of late. I'm just surprised that no one brought the Nintendo connection up with Heavy or the cool guy Halo.
I brought up Heavy, the post got a decent amount of likes, then no one raised him again; a fleeting moment of people agreeing with the objectively correct Valve choice. :p

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
now on the one hand, we could talk about capcom's extensive lineup of IPs

on the other hand, we can talk about Resident Evil, known in Japan as Biohazard,[a] is a Japanese horror media franchise created by Shinji Mikami and Tokuro Fujiwara,[1][2] and owned by the video game company Capcom. The franchise focuses on a series of survival horror games and includes live-action films, animated films, comic books, novels, audio dramas, and merchandise. The story follows outbreaks of zombies and other monsters created mainly by the Umbrella Corporation.

The first Resident Evil video game was released in 1996, taking place in
Look man, I just don't agree with your support for Resident Evil. After all did you know that Resident Evil, known in Japan as Biohazard,[a] is a Japanese horror media franchise created by Shinji Mikami and Tokuro Fujiwara,[1][2] and owned by the video game company Capcom. The franchise focuses on a series of survival horror games and includes live-action films, animated films, comic books, novels, audio dramas, and merchandise. The story follows outbreaks of zombies and other monsters created mainly by the Umbrella Corporation.
Man you guys really had to do it to him back to back huh?

Resident Evil, known in Japan as Biohazard,[a] is a Japanese horror media franchise created by Shinji Mikami and Tokuro Fujiwara,[1][2] and owned by the video game company Capcom. The franchise focuses on a series of survival horror games and includes live-action films, animated films, comic books, novels, audio dramas, and merchandise. The story follows outbreaks of zombies and other monsters created mainly by the Umbrella Corporation.

Being serious, I agree that Resi has a good connection to Nintendo, but I'd say it's as connected to Nintendo as Kingdom Hearts is, which is halfsies at best. The recent exodus of ports to the Switch is suspect, but could also just as easily be Capcom trying to cash out on the Switch as much as possible.

Gordon Freeman though. That's an interesting speculation piece thought if you ask me.

D

Deleted member

Being serious, I agree that Resi has a good connection to Nintendo, but I'd say it's as connected to Nintendo as Kingdom Hearts is, which is halfsies at best. The recent exodus of ports to the Switch is suspect, but could also just as easily be Capcom trying to cash out on the Switch as much as possible
This would be a great oppurtunity for Capcom to pass up those said games. Resident Evil would definitely bring in more hype.

KillerCage

Smash Master
So uhhh guys, Sabi just tweeted this and I think we're finally getting close to figuring out who the last Fighters Pass character is going to be.
I think Sabi was acting like fool just for fun.
Best to ignore this.

I know you guys must have talked A LOT about this on the last pages, but only such a exciting possible news would make me return to Smash Boards right now:

View attachment 247830

View attachment 247831

If this is true (this guy predicted correctly everything about (HL Alyx), i'm really going nuts. First Terry, now Gordon?? Please, let it be real. It'd make a HUGE sense to put Gordon in Smash, considerind how important Valve and HL are to the video game industry in general.

Plus, this (look at the date):

View attachment 247832
I'm hopeful that Mr Freeman gets into Smash, but I am going to assume this is fake until proven otherwise.

The problem is that Alyx was already leaked by other credible sources by the time this rumor popped up, and we were in the same situation months ago, but with Dante instead of Gordon Freeman. The former is far more likely to get in than the latter.
Could you please verify and provide links to these "other credible sources?"
This is the first "leak" I heard that predicted Half-Life: Alyx.
Where are the leaks that the game with this title prior to this leak?

D

Deleted member

This is quite funny, as people normally bring the upcoming Doom game as a reason as to why Doomguy is super likely but rarely I see people bringing it in regards of Resident Evil, which is known in Japan as Biohazard,[a] is a Japanese horror media franchise created by Shinji Mikami and Tokuro Fujiwara,[1][2] and owned by the video game company Capcom. The franchise focuses on a series of survival horror games and includes live-action films, animated films, comic books, novels, audio dramas, and merchandise. The story follows outbreaks of zombies and other monsters created mainly by the Umbrella Corporation.

Frankly I doubt that if RE or Doomguy are in, is because they are going to be tied to any upcoming game of either franchise, but on the other hand is just going to be fun to meme Jill due to R3make.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This would be a great oppurtunity for Capcom to pass up those said games. Resident Evil would definitely bring in more hype.
Like Devil May Cry or Phoenix Wright wouldn't? I can imagine lots of people who'd be excited for those characters. Specifically, Phoenix would be a win for the core/casual fanbases, and Dante would cause an internet explosion on the level of Bayonetta, if not larger since Devil May Cry is a larger series.

The thing about Capcom is that none of their picks are explicitly bad. Even Amaterasu has merits to her inclusion.
I think Sabi was acting like fool just for fun.
Best to ignore this
I don't think Orpheus was being serious lol.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
The difference is that Master Chief has at least made presence on Nintendo system in form of Minecraft skin. Also, Microsoft has actually cooperated with Nintendo even before Banjo deal. I think that's what makes Gordon Freeman more shocking.

Garuda

Smash Ace
At this rate, I'm waiting for someone like Sly Cooper to get in just so people don't latch on to the "has to have a Nintendo presence" fan rule.

That still wouldn't stop them, though. "Well Sly was an exception because Sakurai(...)"

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Every time someone argues for Resident Evil on the basis that it's Capcom's biggest selling franchise, I always feel tempted to bring up Capcom's other biggest selling franchise: Monster Hunter, which I feel is even more slept on than Resident Evil (which at least gets regularly brought up here).

I've made my case for this before, but I think a playable Monster Hunter character is very likely to be DLC, just based on how little content from the series is currently in Ultimate. If it's not Fighter 5, it's definitely post-Pass.
Okay, so hear me out;
Jack Baker for Smash.
Only if his Final Smash is literally just this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom