• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
2007 sakurai is, as we see here, a man of his word
He was talking about for Brawl. Those were two separate rules.

Joker has been on a Nintendo console. Cloud has been on a Nintendo console. As flimsy as their connections may be, they still are in a tier above characters like Kratos and Freeman, especially when their series have had strong Nintendo ties in the past, such as FF 1-6 and the SMT main series. Not even taking their series into account, both of those companies have had far stronger connections with Nintendo than Valve. When that rule is broken, I'll accept that.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
"Who's Gordon Freeman?" asks chunks of the Smash fanbase as they push for their one-time supporting spin-off characters from twenty-three years ago.

Nothing against Geno or other similarly niche choices, but it's funny because you know this would happen.
Nintendo fans wanting characters primarily associated with Nintendo.

Shocking.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Don't trust these kinds of leakers because if they were credible then Dante would be playable.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Because casuals definitely know who Terry Bogard is
**** you could say the same thing about all 4 of the Fighter's Pass characters to some extent
The casuals are already satisfied with Smash. There's a reason I always thought that the Fighter's pass would not have any super casual characters in it like Capcom reps, Doom Guy and the like. It's because those people have already got the game and those that don't don't seem like they'd be big enough in number to pander to. It was always going to be series that have had immensely dedicated fanbases with (imo) one bone tossed towards the Smash fanbase (in this case it was Banjo). It's been my thought this entire run so far and to me it's proven accurate.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I haven't been paying much attention to Smash speculation in the last week, so I'm just now hearing about the Gordon leak.

Never played Half-Life, but I honestly think that would be a really neat and interesting way to end the pass. I'm suspicious about the "leak" because it feels like this person heard about Alyx ahead of time and is using the opportunity to screw with people. But if it turns up true, I'd be pleased!

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
"Who's Gordon Freeman?" asks chunks of the Smash fanbase as they push for their one-time supporting spin-off characters from twenty-three years ago.

Nothing against Geno or other similarly niche choices, but it's funny because you know this would happen.
At this point, they'll do this with everyone. I bet you they'll go "Who" to even someone like Sora, too.

I just expect "Literally Who" responses and people frothing from the mouth in anger on just about anyone, even the highly requested choices now.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Like I can tolerate characters who lack a Nintendo connection (Hell Monokuma is one of my most wanted characters and probably a pipedream for me unless DR Collection gets announced for Switch sometime soon), but there needs to be an overlap with both Smash's audience and Smash as a game in general.

Like to me Half-Life and Gordon Freeman would really stick out like a sore thumb because it doesn't really have either overlap and as a result if it were to be Fighter Pack #5 I have honestly no idea how I would feel or more specifically how a lot of other people would feel as well.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I haven't been paying much attention to Smash speculation in the last week, so I'm just now hearing about the Gordon leak.

Never played Half-Life, but I honestly think that would be a really neat and interesting way to end the pass. I'm suspicious about the "leak" because it feels like this person heard about Alyx ahead of time and is using the opportunity to screw with people.
That's pretty much think that this is. An obvious fake rumor created for the purpose of getting more people excited about Half-Life: Alyx.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
anyway HL3 is such a huge meme that it'd be much more a question of 'why' than 'who' to most people who have spent at least 5 minutes in any gaming circle ever

D

Deleted member

Never played Half-Life, but I honestly think that would be a really neat and interesting way to end the pass. I'm suspicious about the "leak" because it feels like this person heard about Alyx ahead of time and is using the opportunity to screw with people.
They did say unexpected characters, so...

Like I can tolerate characters who lack a Nintendo connection (Hell Monokuma is one of my most wanted characters and probably a pipedream for me unless DR Collection gets announced for Switch sometime soon), but there needs to be an overlap with both Smash's audience and Smash as a game in general.

Like to me Half-Life and Gordon Freeman would really stick out like a sore thumb because it doesn't really have either overlap and as a result if it were to be Fighter Pack #5 I have honestly no idea how I would feel or more specifically how a lot of other people would feel as well.
Most of my most-wanteds don't have a very strong Nintendo correlation.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that there is a lot of overlap between Half-Life fans and Smash fans, and I don't think that Sakurai would want to try to appeal to those "PC Master Race" types of gamers.

D

Deleted member

None are quite to Geno's extent, but even going, like, "What's this Half-Life; where's Golden Sun, where's Shantae?!" would be sufficiently bubbly. xD
This post is even funnier knowing you made the Isaac thread.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
one thing I need to ask, does Half-Life have a notable presence in Japan?

I know Sakurai seems to be a fan, but the dude's a hardcore gamer. He's got an Xbox for pete's sake, aka a console that's otherwise pretty much a joke in Japan.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's pretty much think that this is. An obvious fake rumor created for the purpose of getting more people excited about Half-Life: Alyx.
And they just had to pull in the fanbase that loves speculating.

I too believe it is fake.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

I know Sakurai seems to be a fan, but the dude's a hardcore gamer. He's got an Xbox for pete's sake, aka a console that's otherwise pretty much a joke in Japan.
I don't know if it does. The series is almost PC-exclusive.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The casuals are already satisfied with Smash. There's a reason I always thought that the Fighter's pass would not have any super casual characters in it like Capcom reps, Doom Guy and the like. It's because those people have already got the game and those that don't don't seem like they'd be big enough in number to pander to. It was always going to be series that have had immensely dedicated fanbases with (imo) one bone tossed towards the Smash fanbase (in this case it was Banjo). It's been my thought this entire run so far and to me it's proven accurate.
It feels like "niches" would've been a better word to use when describing the DLC plan rather than "demographics".

There is an arcade game in the series exclusive to Japan, but it still is ultra-niche in Japan just by being an FPS.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

there was a half life 2 arcade game called HL2 survivor released exclusively in japan, so take that as you will

1574556132667.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

anyway HL3 is such a huge meme that it'd be much more a question of 'why' than 'who' to most people who have spent at least 5 minutes in any gaming circle ever
The fact that everyone in this thread has at least heard of Half Life pretty much confirms to me how notable of a series it is.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It feels like "niches" would've been a better word to use when describing the DLC plan rather than "demographics".
From a fanbase point of view, "niche" is a good way to put it. But when talking officially, I think terms like that are rather unprofessional and may imply a few things Nintendo would probably rather not imply.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The problem is that Alyx was already leaked by other credible sources by the time this rumor popped up, and we were in the same situation months ago, but with Dante instead of Gordon Freeman. The former is far more likely to get in than the latter.

D

Deleted member

I don't think that there is a lot of overlap between Half-Life fans and Smash fans, and I don't think that Sakurai would want to try to appeal to those "PC Master Race" types of gamers.
Again, there's a lot larger of an overlap than you might think. I see a ton of "PC Master Race" types all over the internet who own a Switch as a companion piece to their PC because it has way more exclusives that they're interested in, and 90% of the people I've become acquainted with over PC games own one as well.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Lara Croft has been on a Nintendo console, so she's perfectly valid, just as much as Cloud and Joker.

Gordan Freeman has not. I'm not saying they have to be completely connected to Nintendo, Cloud and Joker are some of my favorites, but to at least have so much as a single appearance on a Nintendo console is something that would be nice for a character or franchise.
I agree that it’s nice for characters to have an appearance on Nintendo consoles, but I don’t think it’s something that should hold Sakurai back from making choices in excellent characters.

Let’s be honest, Cloud and Joker weren’t picked because of minor appearances in spin-off games. They were chosen because they’re gaming stars that bring unique gameplay opportunities.

At least, that seems to be the case to me.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I myself am thinking that this is an obvious fake designed to artificially increase hype for Half-Life: Alyx.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I really dont think the Sabi squad knows anything and they are a bunch of attention seekers, no offense. It's one thing to be a leaker but it's another to be a leaker that doesn't leak. How secretive is number 5's name at this point? I get the feeling they keep stalling cause they dont even know. Sabi said it will leak closer to reveal right? Reveal is most likely going to be the game awards unless Nintendo has a surprise direct.

The closer to release excuse literally tells us she knows nothing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really dont think the Sabi squad knows anything and they are a bunch of attention seekers, no offense. It's one thing to be a leaker but it's another to be a leaker that doesn't leak. How secretive is number 5's name at this point? I get the feeling they keep stalling cause they dont even know. Sabi said it will leak closer to reveal right? Reveal is most likely going to be the game awards unless Nintendo has a surprise direct.
Nintendo is known to curveball stuff anyways, so...

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
There's a much larger overlap in PC gamers and Nintendo fans than you might think
Speaking for myself, I see no reason to own consoles that aren't portables nor Nintendo because many of the big name games on PlayStation or Xbox these days are multiplatform, and inevitably make their way to PC, which is A) more affordable to me and B) doesn't require upgrades that are too expensive in the long-term, compared to having to upgrade from a PS3 to a PS4 or an Xbox 360 to an Xbox One.

Lots of PC game players, if they own consoles at all, will gravitate to Nintendo consoles for this reason: Nintendo hardware usually allows for types of games that PC games can't really do, most notably dual-screen gaming back in the DS / 3DS / Wii U days. The Switch's ability to be able to play games portably or on a TV is also a huge boon to anyone who wants to play games that aren't so tech-intensive in a comfortable manner. So yeah, I think most people who play on PC do have some overlap with the Nintendo console-owning audience.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I agree that it’s nice for characters to have an appearance on Nintendo consoles, but I don’t think it’s something that should hold Sakurai back from making choices in excellent characters.

Let’s be honest, Cloud and Joker weren’t picked because of minor appearances in spin-off games. They were chosen because they’re gaming stars that bring unique gameplay opportunities.

At least, that seems to be the case to me.
They weren't picked because of those minor appearances but those minor appearances at least somewhat justified their inclusions. That's the difference between them and a character like Kratos.

Also both of those series have had somewhat a history on Nintendo consoles prior, whether it be the first 6 FF games or the SMT main series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom