• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Has Half Life ever even been on a Nintendo console as a franchise? I feel like at least having a game in the series on a Nintendo console and having the character in question making a some kind of cameo on that game should be one of the last barriers for a video game character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Watch it be Gordon Freeman, color theory, rumored Nintendo collaboration, Sakurai is a Half-Life fan, and all that. Some people would be angry with his inclusion (and i'll be extremely happy):

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1196395995388661760
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pM5CknLC1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8KJsG91Bno
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/07/12/feelofamericangames/ (This one is important)
https://i.imgur.com/CstmN1a.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1tYzeuMIyE
https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/status/1196566870360387584
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18...ces-half-life-alyx-its-first-flagship-vr-game
https://www.pcmag.com/news/372041/half-life-game-series-will-finally-return-with-vr-based-proj
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwF2SxayCnE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrzc5pERSsc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUUgqkyvy50
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_(series)#

Gordon Freeman's moveset draft:
https://i.imgur.com/7P0Tpfa.jpg

"I’m not one to follow these types of games particularly close but even I’ve been looking forward to Half-Life 2’s launch. This is the kind of game you upgrade your computer and graphics card for so you can really take in the visuals and environments. It’s that good.

I was especially impressed when I started playing Half-Life 2. My jaw hit the floor. I couldn’t look away from my monitor, it looked so good, and it’s great how they implemented the physics system. ‘Was this the next generation of gaming?’ I thought to myself. I couldn’t believe we were going to be getting this high a level of games in the future." - Originally published in Famitsu, Vol. 84.85, 24 December 2004
It would help if you gave a brief description of each link. Dont really care enough to connect the dots from each. Plus it would be nice to see the relation between characters talked by Sakurai and their appearances in Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It would help if you gave a brief description of each link. Dont really care enough to connect the dots from each. Plus it would be nice to see the relation between characters talked by Sakurai and their appearances in Smash.
Not only that, a similar leaker discussed Dante.
Has Half Life ever even been on a Nintendo console as a franchise? I feel like at least having a game in the series on a Nintendo console and having the character in question making a some kind of cameo on that game should be one of the last barriers for a video game character.
It hasn't.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure we've come to the point where being on or even cameo'ing on a Nintendo system is no longer a self imposed restriction on character selection. A restriction that, we, not Nintendo, had forced on Smash Bros roster choices. It means nothing.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
That's just a fan rule, though.

Unless Nintendo or Sakurai state otherwise, I think any influential video game character is fair game to be in Smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This is similar to that Dante leak we got several months ago so take the Gordon Freeman leak with a grain of salt.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
to quote some weirdo
appearing on nintendo consoles has seemed irrelevant to me ever since joker came out with absolutely zero reference to persona Q/Q2

i don't think sakurai/nintendo brought him in just because of a set of obscure and poorly-selling JRPGs for a system the switch has long since replaced
appearances on nintendo consoles don't mean jack **** at this point

joker's appearance didn't hinge on persona Q/Q2's existence, and it didn't even reference the damn things

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
For real? I don’t really buy into leaks unless particular people comment on it.

Most of these cryptic leaks that show up from “YO CHECK OUT THIS DISCORD CONVO” or stuff like that turns out to be bunk. If Verge says it’s Gordon Freeman, then I’ll take it a lot more seriously, but for now I’ve got some skepticism.

I’m much more open minded with Smash than I used to be, so I don’t know that I’d be upset with Gordon. There are characters I want more obviously like Dante or Leon, but I wouldn’t necessarily say he’s a bad pick.

D

Deleted member

to quote some weirdo

appearances on nintendo consoles don't mean jack **** at this point

joker's appearance didn't hinge on persona Q/Q2's existence, and it didn't even reference the damn things
Adding to this :ultsnake: is from a series predominantly on Playstation consoles and the mainline Solid series only had one single game on Nintendo, if you count remakes.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
As of the moment, Walt Disney owns Garfield. Therefore, he could make it into a Kingdom Hearts game. THEREFORE, he could possibly make it into Super Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

As of the moment, Walt Disney owns Garfield. Therefore, he could make it into a Kingdom Hearts game. THEREFORE, he could possibly make it into Super Smash Bros.
YO EVERYONE STFU RIGHT NOW

THIS IS THE REAL NEWS RIGHT HERE

cothero

Smash Lord
I’m gonna be perfectly honest I don’t see how Gordon Freeman makes sense for Smash like at all.

Some lines don’t connect and I don’t see where the line between Half-Life and Smash Bros comes together.

Like Half-Life is a really good and influential game yes but I don’t think every important game should be represented in Smash or otherwise we’d have COD and GTA.
Did Gordon appearing in Final Fantasy made some sense for you aside from the PC release?...

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
That is the most blessed avatar I've seen on this site in quite a while.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
There will always be a chance for more Pokemon characters and they are almost always an evolutionary form of a starter type or popular anime shills like Jigglypuff and Mewtwo. Our options are limited. While I would appreciate a character that breaks that mold because Pokemon can do a lot of interesting ****, especially when they're in Pokken, let us ride on the high of 3rd party never-evers because this opportunity is not guaranteed to happen in the future at all unlike mf-ing Pokemon. There are hundreds of the goddamn things it is harder to get attached to one compared to characters from other games imo.
Hard disagree for me personally. I'd get way more hyped to see Cinderace join the roster than half the third parties suggested here.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think reactions if Gordon were to happen would be mixed

On one hand it'd draw in a new audience and a lot of hardcore gamers would be interested

On the other hand there isn't much of an overlap with Smash Bros' actual audience and casuals might not recognize him since he hasn't had a game in over a decade

So yeah, a mixed bag

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I used to be a hardass about “Nintendo connection”, but since Cloud was revealed for Wii U I stopped caring.

If you only consider characters worthy because of their connection to Nintendo, you’re dismissing many of the most iconic, recognizable, or interesting gaming characters. Dante only appeared on Nintendo consoles this year, but he’s one of the best. I don’t know if Lara Croft has ever been on a Nintendo console ever, but based on who she is, I don’t really think people would be upset that the character got into Smash.

Rules like that are simply suggested to attempt to convince fans that only certain characters (aka, the characters the “rule imposers” want) are more likely.

Some folks might say I’m a “rule imposer” myself. For example, I personally think it’s possible that spirits disconfirm fighters, and I don’t necessarily think a Wave/Season 2 will change that. But at the very least, it’s backed up with something and not strictly based on my wants.

Speculation will generate ideas to guide predictions, but there is definitely a difference in what people suggest. Not every “rule” is legit, but that doesn’t mean none of them are valid or substantiated.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On one hand it'd draw in a new audience and a lot of hardcore gamers would be interested

On the other hand there isn't much of an overlap with Smash Bros' actual audience and casuals might not recognize him since he hasn't had a game in over a decade

So yeah, a mixed bag
Smash Bros is designed with the casuals in mind, mind you.

D

Deleted member

So yeah, a mixed bag
I know like three people in mycollege discord who would flip out over him so that's something for me.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure we've come to the point where being on or even cameo'ing on a Nintendo system is no longer a self imposed restriction on character selection. A restriction that, we, not Nintendo, had forced on Smash Bros roster choices. It means nothing.
And how have we crossed that point, exactly? Every 3rd Party in Smash thus far has been on or cameo'd on a Nintendo console, no matter how small. Much as people like to make exaggerations about how ANYTHING can happen, ALL four fighters in the Fighter's Pass so far have followed this rule. Joker, Cloud, Hero, Terry, Banjo, Snake, they've all been on Nintendo in one way, shape, or form.
That's just a fan rule, though.

Unless Nintendo or Sakurai state otherwise, I think any influential video game character is fair game to be in Smash.
Sakurai still noted that it was a courtesy. Yes, it's not as solid as the no Non-Video Game characters rule, but I feel it's still the strongest rule for video game characters, and one that hasn't been broken.

I don't think a character like Kratos is fair game to appear in Smash at all.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Another time killing game for all of you guys inspired by Garteam's (don't know how to tag someone on mobile...) game of choosing 5 for each company in Smash.

Let's say you can add 6 characters distributed among the existing companies (excluding Nintendo) and up to 2 new third-party companies. Subsidiary companies count as new companies. Who would you add?

Bamco: Nightmare
WB Studios/Netherrealm Studios: Scorpion
Capcom: Zero, X
Square Enix: Geno, Sephiroth
Capcom: Amaterasu
Square Enix: Sora
Bamco: KOS-MOS
WayForward: Shantae
Sega: Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
Sony: Kat: (Gravity Rush)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm not even sure Gordon would bring in a new audience. The Hard core Half life fans are pretty vehemently "PC Master race" people that give zero ****s about what happens on console.

D

Deleted member

Smash Bros is designed with the casuals in mind, mind you.
Because casuals definitely know who Terry Bogard is
**** you could say the same thing about all 4 of the Fighter's Pass characters to some extent
I'm not even sure Gordon would bring in a new audience. The Hard core Half life fans are pretty vehemently "PC Master race" people that give zero ****s about what happens on console.
There's a much larger overlap in PC gamers and Nintendo fans than you might think

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"Who's Gordon Freeman?" asks chunks of the Smash fanbase as they push for their one-time supporting spin-off characters from twenty-three years ago.

Nothing against Geno or other similarly niche choices, but it's funny because you know this would happen.

D

Deleted member

And what point would that be? Every 3rd Party in Smash thus far has been on a Nintendo console, no matter how small.

Sakurai still noted that it was a courtesy. Yes, it's not as solid as the no Non-Video Game characters rule, but I feel it's still the strongest rule for video game characters, and one that hasn't been broken.
Didn't Sakurai mention that only game characters would get in? I mean, that is a rule stated by Sakurai. But then you have the cancers saying "sAkUrAi GoEs BaCk On HiS wOrD."

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Technically the two Fox movies I'm guessing while Viacom actually owns Garfield now.
"Who's Gordon Freeman?" asks chunks of the Smash fanbase as they push for their one-time supporting spin-off characters from twenty-three years ago.

Nothing against Geno or other similarly niche choices, but it's funny because you know this would happen.
What other ones are like Geno in the nicheness?

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I used to be a hardass about “Nintendo connection”, but since Cloud was revealed for Wii U I stopped caring.

If you only consider characters worthy because of their connection to Nintendo, you’re dismissing many of the most iconic, recognizable, or interesting gaming characters. Dante only appeared on Nintendo consoles this year, but he’s one of the best. I don’t know if Lara Croft has ever been on a Nintendo console ever, but based on who she is, I don’t really think people would be upset that the character got into Smash.

Rules like that are simply suggested to attempt to convince fans that only certain characters (aka, the characters the “rule imposers” want) are more likely.

Some folks might say I’m a “rule imposer” myself. For example, I personally think it’s possible that spirits disconfirm fighters, and I don’t necessarily think a Wave/Season 2 will change that. But at the very least, it’s backed up with something and not strictly based on my wants.

Speculation will generate ideas to guide predictions, but there is definitely a difference in what people suggest. Not every “rule” is legit, but that doesn’t mean none of them are valid or substantiated.
Lara Croft has been on a Nintendo console, so she's perfectly valid, just as much as Cloud and Joker.

Gordan Freeman has not. I'm not saying they have an incredibly super strong connection to Nintendo, Cloud and Joker are some of my favorites, but to at least have so much as a single appearance on a Nintendo console is something that would be common courtesy prerequisite for a character or franchise, especially for a console as popular as the Switch where so many 3rd Parties are finally opening up to porting their games to Nintendo for the first time, such as Bethesda with Skyrim or Microsoft with Cuphead or Activision with Overwatch.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Correction, Viacom owns Garfield. They bought it earlier this year.

Disney does however, own the rights to the two live action CGI hybrid Garfield movies, thanks to the 20th Century Fox purchase

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
And what point would that be? Every 3rd Party in Smash thus far has been on a Nintendo console, no matter how small.

2007 sakurai is, as we see here, a man of his word
Sakurai said:
At any rate, there will probably only be one or two more [third parties]

D

Deleted member

They did it with Dragon Quest. They'll do it for Half Life.

D

Deleted member

Unfortunately yes. This community just so happen to be dominated by close-minded individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom