• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't think that makes much sense. If they were stingy, they wouldn't let Nintendo use anything. Period. Nintendo wouldn't exactly turn down Kat, but... it's more likely they'd go for Kratos first. He's the closest thing Sony has to a mascot post-Crash. Besides, it's free marketing for Sony anyway, so I don't see the point of refusing to give your biggest character to go with a smaller one.
Yeah. I mean, Sony in first place isn't in need of promotion or something like that. So if Nintendo approaches them and they refuse, well, that's not being stingy. It's normal. In the end, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are competitors. They don't fight each other like the stupid war consoles, but it's understandable that Sony wouldn't want their characters in Smash. Same for Microsoft even if Banjo got announced.

They would be stingy if they accept but then only allow a few songs, a few spirits, or something like that.

Banjo was an exception, but while isn't impossible, expecting Microsoft and Sony giving Nintendo Master Chief, Kratos or Nathan Drake so easily when these characters are their mascots is a bit naive.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Then explain why Sony was having an custody battle with Disney over Spider-Man?
Because Disney's contract expired and Disney got hella greedy with new negotiations, and Sony didn't want to sign a deal that'd mean they'd never make a profit off of Spiderman again? Remember, Disney wanted 50 percent of the earnings Spiderman branded movies would get, and Sony's the one actually paying for the budget of the movies.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Current prediction: Yuri is the next fighter.
The psychic one, not the swordy one. Or the knifey one.>_>
---
The main path one of the less-likely Sony characters could take to conceivably getting into Smash is if a specific creator wants it enough to push for it. Particularly if it's someone on good terms with Sakurai.

If one of the leads at Naughty Dog got it in their head that they want Jak in, for instance, they could push the issue from the 'bottom up' and, depending on their clout and charisma, it could possibly happen.

And barring Sony changing the entire direction of their gaming division, I expect that's the only way it could happen, so contrary to what I've said previously, a smaller Sony character may be as likely as a bigger one. Not that any are likely.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
You don’t get it, Jack is Atlus’s mascot. They weren’t Sega’s until after persona 4, in 2013, but that is still relatively recent.

Because the plant was defiantly fun...
From my own experiences, people seem to find Plant incredibly fun and unique. He isn't the character most people choose to main but to deny he isn't something unique and fun is a bit disingenuous. Sure, fun is subjective but I'd wager more find him fun than not, even if he isn't their primary choice since his playstyle is not really like anyone in Smash to date.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
From my own experiences, people seem to find Plant incredibly fun and unique. He isn't the character most people choose to main but to deny he isn't something unique and fun is a bit disingenuous. Sure, fun is subjective but I'd wager more find him fun than not, even if he isn't their primary choice since his playstyle is not really like anyone in Smash to date.
It feels like they had to stretch thin to make him.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Because it affects the money they can make. Nothing else to say here.

Sony accepting a deal with Nintendo but then refusing to choose options that would make more money just... makes zero sense. And if Sony wanted nothing to do with Nintendo due to past grudges, then can you explain why Sony would push Switch games with a label of their own?

At the end of the day, I don't think it's likely at all either way, but... what you're proposing doesn't make much sense.

Yeah. I mean, Sony in first place isn't in need of promotion or something like that. So if Nintendo approaches them and they refuse, well, that's not being stingy. It's normal. In the end, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are competitors. They don't fight each other like the stupid war consoles, but it's understandable that Sony wouldn't want their characters in Smash. Same for Microsoft even if Banjo got announced.

They would be stingy if they accept but then only allow a few songs, a few spirits, or something like that.

Banjo was an exception, but while isn't impossible, expecting Microsoft and Sony giving Nintendo Master Chief, Kratos or Nathan Drake so easily when these characters are their mascots is a bit naive.
Oh, I don't think anyone thinks it's "easy". Most people don't expect a Sony character at all - the talk here is if Sony accepted, they would probably want an option that gives them big bucks - hence one of their mascots. Maybe I wasn't too clear somewhere along the way.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
---
The main path one of the less-likely Sony characters could take to conceivably getting into Smash is if a specific creator wants it enough to push for it. Particularly if it's someone on good terms with Sakurai.

If one of the leads at Naughty Dog got it in their head that they want Jak in, for instance, they could push the issue from the 'bottom up' and, depending on their clout and charisma, it could possibly happen.

And barring Sony changing the entire direction of their gaming division, I expect that's the only way it could happen, so contrary to what I've said previously, a smaller Sony character may be as likely as a bigger one. Not that any are likely.
Kozukata's an Assist Trophy tho

... i actually dunno who the psychic one is rip

SNEKeater

Smash Master
First of all, Sony has different divisions, like most companies. SIE, the one for gaming, doesn't have anything to do with the Spider-Man and the Disney thing. That's up to Sony Pictures.
Second, that 'battle' was started by Disney, who wanted to change the deal that Sony and them made a few years ago.

Companies wanting money and being protective of their interests is everyday business. Nintendo isn't different. You think Nintendo would lend Mario so easily to Sony if they wanted to make a new All Stars game? Of course not.

Last edited:

DoomJerk

Smash Rookie
NNID
DoomJerk
Switch FC
SW-7821-3739-0301
---

Hang on, are we talking about Command & Conquer Yuri? That's a series I'd like in Smash for the music alone

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Correct me if I'm thinking of the wrong one, but when you say the psychic one, are we talking C&C Yuri?

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
It feels like they had to stretch thin to make him.
I don't see it that way. I mean, he DOES stretch thin during gameplay. Ahah...ahhhh....but yeah, moves are all pretty unique and work quite well and most draw inspiration from what the plants have typically done in Mario with a few liberties. I find what the character can do to be interesting as it fits a role not many have done which is basically being a full trap based character. And a strange zoner but with physical attacks involved, not just a projectile. I love watching high level Plant play. The sheer mind games the character goes through can often make Pac-Players look and feel almost elementary at times.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
Sony's advertising strategies, cooperation with other companies and involvement with them has changed a lot in the past years IMO. If Nintendo and Sony wanted to cross advertise and promote themselves in games they certainly would.

Edit: This isn't me saying a Sony Mascot on Nintendo is happening either. I'm just saying that everybody attributing an answer to the question "Why wouldn't they?" With "Because they're stingy and selfish!" Are looking at it the wrong way. In reality, why WOULD they? They're the best sellers of consoles this generation and dominate physical disc sales too.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
What's with the Sony speculation lately? It was just a year ago that it took an a big internet backlash to finally convince to do crossplay. They have never shown really any interests in having a character in Smash unlike MS prior to the Banjo reveal, where Phil had said multiple times he was on board with Banjo being in Smash.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
So are we totally in the dark still? For some reason I see more people talking about the possibility of Lloyd

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What's with the Sony speculation lately? It was just a year ago that it took an a big internet backlash to finally convince to do crossplay. They have never shown really any interests in having a character in Smash unlike MS prior to the Banjo reveal, where Phil had said multiple times he was on board with Banjo being in Smash.
It started with me where I was saying being that Sony is stingy they wouldn't let Nintendo use one of their bigger IPs like Kratos and rather one of their smaller IPs like Kat.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
4/10 not Bella Goth

whoa, lemme check one moment...

you mean below the image of the invitation? was it always supposed to say "Coming soon"?
Below the image, there was text that said coming soon for the invite. Now it doesn’t appear there...
But why? Could be a glitch on their end.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
So are we totally in the dark still? For some reason I see more people talking about the possibility of Lloyd
Yeah its basically because Verge made a comment on Gamefaqs replying to someone asking how the Tales series and Verge said some of them are worth playing, while some of are not. It mean a hint towards Lloyd or Verge is just a fan telling someone that not all Tales games are good.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Repost from The Social Thread.
Just checked and yep, not there.

It's strange though, if we were gonna get a reveal I'd have assumed it'd be today based on previous reveals, unless they blindisde us at 9PM with "hey check out a Robin-esque special live reveal tomorrow!" but I doubt that.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Sabi is holding a smash ultimate leak to us.
So now we just gotta wait for Vergeben (or Nintendo themselves) to spill the beans.

If it's a TGA reveal then it probably won't leak, that **** is ironclad.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
It started with me where I was saying being that Sony is stingy they wouldn't let Nintendo use one of their bigger IPs like Kratos and rather one of their smaller IPs like Kat.
I don't even see why Nintendo would want one of Sony's smaller IP's since there isn't really any demand for them to be in Smash or even have a new installment in their series.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just checked and yep, not there.

It's strange though, if we were gonna get a reveal I'd have assumed it'd be today based on previous reveals, unless they blindisde us at 9PM with "hey check out a Robin-esque special live reveal tomorrow!" but I doubt that.
at what time in the day was the surprise Robin livestream on Jul 14, 2014 announced? anyone here remember?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't even see why Nintendo would want one of Sony's smaller IP's since there isn't really any demand for them to be in Smash or even have a new installment in their series.
I mean to be fair Kat seems like an character that'd be "Fun" to use and can see Sakurai liking.

Not expecting it to happen anyways. Just throwing that out there.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Topic change...

I don't know if we've talked about this, and I don't put very much stock in what the dude reports on because, quite frankly, I think he's an idiot, but LaxChris posted a video about Gordon Freeman that claims to have a credible source. Begrudgingly, I scanned through his video to read the posts and it looks like there may be some merit to it.

I mean I've never really considered him, but he'd be left-field enough and epic enough to be a great pick. The franchise is legendary.

Thoughts?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
> Sabi makes what is clearly a Danganronpa hint while "hoping" for the TGAs; "hope" in all-caps
> Says it's not for Smash, mentions "despair" while saying that, so it probably means nothing despite the clear hint

Man, I don't like trollish leakers with an ego.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
When do you guys think is the absolute earliest we'll see Fighter 5 revealed?

Depending on who it is, I could see it either A) being revealed in a Smash Direct on December 7th (the anniversary of Ultimate's release) if it's a more low-key character, or B) revealed at the Game Awards if it's a character that will really draw some heads.
I think that's spot on.

If the 5th character is someone huge, then the VGAs.

If the 5th character is someone who wouldn't make a huge splash at the VGA's, then I could see Nintendo revealing them a week ahead of time. Then revealing the first post-pass character at the VGAs as someone with more universal appeal.

It's nothing exciting, it was just a doctored Discord screenshot of a message, a blatant one at that as after I turned up my phone brightness I saw a transparent square around where the text was
Bah! I wish it had survived longer. I was enjoying everyone suddenly talking about Arthur.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Topic change...

I don't know if we've talked about this, and I don't put very much stock in what the dude reports on because, quite frankly, I think he's an idiot, but LaxChris posted a video about Gordon Freeman that claims to have a credible source. Begrudgingly, I scanned through his video to read the posts and it looks like there may be some merit to it.

I mean I've never really considered him, but he'd be left-field enough and epic enough to be a great pick. The franchise is legendary.

Thoughts?
Would be cool but LaxChris is the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom