• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I consider November to be a wash in terms of leaks.

Going in to cryo sleep until the VGAs...

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
When do you guys think is the absolute earliest we'll see Fighter 5 revealed?

Depending on who it is, I could see it either A) being revealed in a Smash Direct on December 7th (the anniversary of Ultimate's release) if it's a more low-key character, or B) revealed at the Game Awards if it's a character that will really draw some heads.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It being so tightlipped makes me think it's from either a very small company or a very close company - Bamco or Nintendo themselves. Or maybe even an already-repped company such as Square-Enix? Interesting stuff...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It being so tightlipped makes me think it's from either a very small company or a very close company - Bamco or Nintendo themselves. Or maybe even an already-repped company such as Square-Enix? Interesting stuff...
Bamco means Harada's on leak watch, Sabi's source knows this and is fearing for their life as Harada's ominously standing at their house, staring through the window

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Depending on who it is, I could see it either A) being revealed in a Smash Direct on December 7th (the anniversary of Ultimate's release) if it's a more low-key character, or B) revealed at the Game Awards if it's a character that will really draw some heads.
C) (I know, I know, I've been talking about this waaay too much. But I need to re-emphasize) A possible Chinese presentation for the launch there. It depends on whether Ultimate is approved there this month, but when stuff like this is happening:

There's a non-zero (if admittedly really slim) chance that they could throw a massive monkey wrench and reveal FP5 there.

Again, absolute earliest. I feel that a Smash Direct's the most likely, but VGA close behind.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
There's always the slight possibility that Smash could throw us a curveball and the final character turns out to be a first party choice.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I don't really expect a direct just after we got Terry, but a Game Award reveal feels likely.

Not sure if we can say something about how big FP5 is, but I think it's safe to say they will be bigger outside of Smash bubble than they're inside of it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Game Awards. But in terms of being leaked though I could see a week or two before.

D

Deleted member

I too think a Direct would be more likely, since the Game Awards would most likely begin Season 2.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I wonder who would it be for TGA... if you don't count any of the companies already in the Pass and the ones Vergeben disconfirmed, then Resident Evil is arguably the biggest head-turner remaining for that event imo. It's hard to think of any game or series that would get a similar reaction that Joker got last year...

Random thought of the day: what if 2B gets announced and her costumes, rather than being based on specific characters, are basic YoRHa costumes titled "B-Type" for Brawler, using the gauntlets and "S-Type" for Swordfighter, using blades, with a male and female variant of each?

Dunno, just something that came up to me. Also there was a "G" class for Gunners in the Nier lore, but I think there's no art for that one.

EDIT: Yes, I know B is Battler and S is Scanner, but the wordplay sounds exactly like something Sakurai and Taro would joke about. Plus it matches 2B and 9S.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I wonder who would it be for TGA... if you don't count any of the companies already in the Pass and the ones Vergeben disconfirmed, then Resident Evil is arguably the biggest head-turner remaining for that event imo. It's hard to think of any game or series that would get a similar reaction that Joker got last year...

Random thought of the day: what if 2B gets announced and her costumes, rather than being based on specific characters, are basic YoRHa costumes titled "B-Type" for Brawler, using the gauntlets and "S-Type" for Swordfighter, using blades, with a male and female variant of each?

Dunno, just something that came up to me. Also there was a "G" class for Gunners in the Nier lore, but I think there's no art for that one.
Someone we don't expect like Kat from Gravity Rush.

Chosen Undead from Dark Souls.

Dovahkiin from Skyrim.

Gordon Freeman from Half-Life.

Ezio from Assassin's Creed.

John Marston from Red Dead Redemption.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Someone we don't expect like Kat from Gravity Rush.

Chosen Undead from Dark Souls.

Dovahkiin from Skyrim.

Gordon Freeman from Half-Life.
Hmm, still not banking on a Sony character - though if one did happen, it would very likely be Kratos. Not too sure on Namco or Bethesda either...

Gordon Freeman would kill people on the spot upon his reveal.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I think it's more likely that on December 7th Nintendo would reveal their general plan of what the dlc post-fighters pass is going to be like, leaving the final fighter's pass character for TGAs

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ezio is still super plausible to me. He'd be a huge reveal and come with tons of great music and definitely a cool level and moveset.

A Valve character...now THAT would be insane. Gordon is the legend, but I'm a Chell man through and through and you know any TF2 rep would be a blast especially since they basically invented the character reveal trailer concept we now associate with Smash.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Or a character that is major to an extent that Nintendo are trying to keep it secret like they did with Cloud and Everyone returning in ultimate to some extent? Dunno really. Only one I can think that no one would expect and that no one would think is related to Smash until they saw the splash screen is a Sony rep.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hmm, still not banking on a Sony character - though if one did happen, it would very likely be Kratos. Not too sure on Namco or Bethesda either...

Gordon Freeman would kill people on the spot upon his reveal.
Sony is very stingy though and probably wouldn't let Nintendo use one of their bigger IPs hence Kat comes to mind.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Sony is very stingy though and probably wouldn't let Nintendo use one of their bigger IPs hence Kat comes to mind.
Would Nintendo choose Kat though? It's like how they picked Terry over Kyo or Nakorooru. They usually go with the mascot of a company when getting new ones on board and then they get other characters who are popular, unique etc. Same with Cloud I suppose but that was partially due to requests. Nintendo would probably turn down Kat

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I think it's more likely that on December 7th Nintendo would reveal their general plan of what the dlc post-fighters pass is going to be like, leaving the final fighter's pass character for TGAs
Not completely sure about that - they might wait until Feb. 2020. So they're sure they have the next few characters locked in (of course, assuming they don't have them right now). It's possible that they have them right now or by Dec. 7, yes, but we don't have a Sakurai tweet to go by right now.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Would Nintendo choose Kat though? It's like how they picked Terry over Kyo or Nakorooru. They usually go with the mascot of a company when getting new ones on board and then they get other characters who are popular, unique etc. Same with Cloud I suppose but that was partially due to requests. Nintendo would probably turn down Kat
Well its either an lesser IP or no Sony rep because knowing Sony those would be the only characters Nintendo would let them use.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I don't think that makes much sense. If they were stingy, they wouldn't let Nintendo use anything. Period. Nintendo wouldn't exactly turn down Kat, but... it's more likely they'd go for Kratos first. He's the closest thing Sony has to a mascot post-Crash. Besides, it's free marketing for Sony anyway, so I don't see the point of refusing to give your biggest character to go with a smaller one.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't think that makes much sense. If they were stingy, they wouldn't let Nintendo use anything. Period. Nintendo wouldn't exactly turn down Kat, but... it's more likely they'd go for Kratos first. He's the closest thing Sony has to a mascot post-Crash. Besides, it's free marketing for Sony anyway, so I don't see the point of refusing to give your biggest character to go with a smaller one.
Sony is on whole other level when compared to say like Square. If you really think Sony will let Nintendo use one of their bigger IPs you're solely mistaken.

After all Sony is Sony.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Why is Joker chosen over Jack Frost?

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Well its either an lesser IP or no Sony rep because knowing Sony those would be the only characters Nintendo would let them use.
In that scenario, it seems in character for Sakurai to decline. If the character he wanted to make was denied, I doubt he'd go for a hand-out of someone he had little interest in to begin with just to 'fill the quota' of company reps. So if Sony tried that when he wanted someone, they said 'no, use this instead' then I believe Sakurai would tell them to have a nice day and leave empty handed rather than work on something half heartedly.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
In that scenario, it seems in character for Sakurai to decline. If the character he wanted to make was denied, I doubt he'd go for a hand-out of someone he had little interest in to begin with just to 'fill the quota' of company reps. So if Sony tried that when he wanted someone, they said 'no, use this instead' then I believe Sakurai would tell them to have a nice day and leave empty handed rather than work on something half heartedly.
But Wiggler.

"What matters is how fun the character is not recognizably" - Sakurai

Something Kat fits the bill as.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
What if that character is cool?

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Because he represents persona as a series a and b I meant when they get completely new third parties on board. Say sega wasn't already in the game they wouldn't go with Jack frost Over sonic or with SNK Kyo over Terry

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
But Wiggler.

"What makes is how fun the character is not recognizably" - Sakurai

Right, but if that wasn't who Sakurai wanted, then why would he take her? What if he already had plans for a 'fun but not recognizable' character? No one is saying he was aiming for Kratos or something. But if his mind and heart was set to make the initial choice playable, he doesn't seem the guy to take a consolation prize. He'd find something else. Unless he considered the option and had ideas for Kat, which could be possible. Or she ended up being who he wanted anyways.

But even if she 'fits the bill' doesn't mean she has any better chance than any other character who 'fits the bill', so it's kind of moot.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
What if that character is cool?
So what? The character could be 'cool' but if Sakurai doesn't want to make it, or thinks the move set wouldn't be fun...he won't do it. he seems pretty adamant about 'fun over 'cool' ' when it comes to characters. Just look at Plant. Fun over 'cool'.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Because he represents persona as a series a and b I meant when they get completely new third parties on board. Say sega wasn't already in the game they wouldn't go with Jack frost Over sonic or with SNK Kyo over Terry
You don’t get it, Jack is Atlus’s mascot. They weren’t Sega’s until after persona 4, in 2013, but that is still relatively recent.
So what? The character could be 'cool' but if Sakurai doesn't want to make it, or thinks the move set wouldn't be fun...he won't do it. he seems pretty adamant about 'fun over 'cool' ' when it comes to characters. Just look at Plant. Fun over 'cool'.
Because the plant was defiantly fun...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just look at Plant. Fun over 'cool'.
Which is why he could pick Kat if he saw her the same way as he had with:ultpiranha:given her gameplay style and abilities.

Not to say I'm expecting it to happen ever but just saying. Kat seems like a character Sakurai would like and fine really fun to pick.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Sony is on whole other level when compared to say like Square. If you really think Sony will let Nintendo use one of their bigger IPs you're solely mistaken.

After all Sony is Sony.
Uh... any evidence on that? Or are we basing this purely on conjecture?

To be clear: Kratos would't be my personal most wanted Sony pick, but he's still their current "mascot". Again, it doesn't make sense to make a deal with a "rival" company for what essentially is advertisement on their console and not bring out the big guns.

Sony might be Sony, but they're still a business. Methinks they'd care more about making money from such a crossover than a petty grudge.

But Wiggler.

"What matters is how fun the character is not recognizably" - Sakurai

Actually, the quote was something like: "If the character is fun to play is more important than if the character is new or old or if the character is recognizable by everyone."

Keyword "more". Being recognizable still has its importance, it's just not as big as some people believe. Kat fits the bill. So does Kratos. And Parappa. And Ratchet. And... you get my point.

I'll do you one better: why were Robin and Joker chosen before Batman?

...I'll see myself out.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

Soonest - December 7th.
Latest - An early - mid January direct

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Uh... any evidence on that? Or are we basing this purely on conjecture?

To be clear: Kratos would't be my personal most wanted Sony pick, but he's still their current "mascot". Again, it doesn't make sense to make a deal with a "rival" company for what essentially is advertisement on their console and not bring out the big guns.

Sony might be Sony, but they're still a business. Methinks they'd care more about making money from such a crossover than a petty grudge.

Actually, the quote was: "If the character is fun to play is more important than if the character is new or old or if the character is recognizable by everyone."

Keyword "more". Being recognizable still has its importance, it's just not as big as some people believe. Kat fits the bill. So does Kratos. And Parappa. And Ratchet. And... you get my point.

I'll do you one better: why were Robin and Joker chosen before Batman?

...I'll see myself out.
We got Batman 3 weeks ago so it doesn't matter anyway
Screenshot_20191120-225020.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom