• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Oh god Jill having the design that stands out the most with her blue beret suddenly ends up going against her
I mean, she also has another very iconic design, being her blue top - which is the one Capcom went with for Teppen. Both Jill and Leon also have alt costume potential, so... in the end I think it's still 50-50 between them as the RE rep.

That aside... maybe a Wesker brawler costume? It's the other easy example that comes to mind.

blackghost

Smash Champion
of all the straight echoes dark samus is by far the most disappointing. It (yes it) can do everything samus can but it has so many more options and abilities. Her win animations even show this.
I dont see the appeal of dlc echoes. I really think thats a product of some people not liking third parties in smash. You are never gonna convince the general audience or most of it to pay money for a slightly different version of a character already in the game.
also it is curious how someone can ask for villains and another person ask for a singular female character and only the second person gets attacked.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Thinking of it, I do wonder why they specifically chose the September direct to announce that additional DLC fighters were on the way. It's well over 2 months ago and we don't even have a DLC 5 announcement yet, which may or may not come at the Game Awards. But any concrete information on post pass fighters may not come until even later.

Did they simply want to fuel speculation? Or might there be some other reason for them having announced it then? Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I'm genuinely curious.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thinking of it, I do wonder why they specifically chose the September direct to announce that additional DLC fighters were on the way. It's well over 2 months ago and we don't even have a DLC 5 announcement yet, which may or may not come at the Game Awards. But any concrete information on post pass fighters may not come until even later.

Did they simply want to fuel speculation? Or might there be some other reason for them having announced it then? Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I'm genuinely curious.
Probably because when else can they reveal Terry between September and November? Nintendo typically likes revealing these fighters on directs or events.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

My best guess is that CP5 and the first next season announcement aren't that far apart. We may even know who it is before the last Pass character releases.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Probably because when else can they reveal Terry between September and November? Nintendo typically likes revealing these fighters on directs or events.
I meant the announcement that more DLC fighters were coming after the season pass specifically. They could've announced Terry without mentioning post pass content. It just seemed a bit early for it, but maybe that's just me. More information could be coming sooner than I think after all.

D

Deleted member

I meant the announcement that more DLC fighters were coming after the season pass specifically. They could've announced Terry without mentioning post pass content. It just seemed a bit early for it, but maybe that's just me. More information could be coming sooner than I think after all.
Ideally we get something before February 2020, which is when the whole FP saga ends. I wouldn't hold my breath on anything happening too soon, though, because it's not like we didn't wait six months after Joker's reveal before Hero was revealed.

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Also, a reminder: the team was able to work on Joker, Hero, BK and Stage Builder all at once. So I don't think it's too farfetched to think they could have started work on the first post Pass character already now that Terry released and there's only one Pass slot left.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm quite sure we're gonna get some Echoes as DLC down the line. Anyone willing to discuss that yet?

Also, neither Dixie or Impa SHOULD be an Echo , but they could end up being sort of Ken-like Echoes. Dark Samus is a bad example btw. She's a literal clone in Metroid, even in lore. Dixie has a whole gimmick around her with her Helicopter Spin. She could be a semi clone with ease. But a full Echo? No. Just no. Not without her own gimmicks at least included in, and if they do that much effort, might as well make her more unique.

Impa can easily be a full Echo however. I'm hoping Impa will be in BotW2 , and turn up as sort of bonus DLC.
If we do start getting echo DLC, then Octolings and Gooigi are locks. They come from recent games, are popular, and would be incredibly easy to make.

I'd also imagine some sort of Animal Crossing or Megaman rep.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just less then a month away until we find out who FP5 is. Granted probably before then because he/she will get leaked a week or two prior.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Ideally we get something before February 2020, which is when the whole FP saga ends. I wouldn't hold my breath on anything happening too soon, though, because it's not like we didn't wait six months after Joker's reveal before Hero was revealed.
Fair point. Them hyping us up with additonal DLC only to then wait 6+ months to provide additional information is something I could see happen. I really hope that's not the case though lol.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The way I see it we could not only get FP5 only but also our first post-Pass DLC fighter and announcement of an second Season Pass or just FP5 and second Season Pass being announced.

SKX31

Smash Master
The way I see it we could not only get FP5 only but also our first post-Pass DLC fighter and announcement of an second Season Pass or just FP5 and second Season Pass being announced.
The question is though, when?

I still feel either a Nintendo Direct and / or VGA are the most probable timings. But then there's that Chinese presentation (they haven't announced the date for that one, but they will soon I think.) which could act as a wildcard. Especially if VGA comes and goes without a reveal. Or, we could have Direct / VGA announcing FP5 and the Chinese presentation announcing the first Post-Pass, or some other combo.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Be nice if we got FP5 announced at the VGA along with Season 2 being announced and then an Nintendo/Smash Direct in January where our first post-Pass DLC fighter is announced.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

maybe FP5 is a more niche character so Nintendo announce the more dlc characters earlier to not upset most of the fandom.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I think it's probably because they had just finished negotiations with more Companies.

I'm still on the "No Reveal at TGA" train simply because I'd find it funny.
The profile picture on this post makes it even funnier to me.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Dark Samus is a bad example btw. She's a literal clone in Metroid, even in lore.
Okay...

A. It's literally not. It's a mutated Metroid possessing an old suit of Samus' armor. It's in no way her clone.

and B. Dark Samus doesn't fight like Samus in any way. Dark Samus fights WAY more differently from Samus than Dixie does from Diddy.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Okay...

A. It's literally not. It's a mutated Metroid possessing an old suit of Samus' armor. It's in no way her clone.

and B. Dark Samus doesn't fight like Samus in any way. Dark Samus fights WAY more differently from Samus than Dixie does from Diddy.
Would Dark Samus still being an assist trophy be better than its current predicament?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I see little reason why Dark Samus can't be both a playable character and retain her Assist Trophy moveset. (Besides time constraints)
But considering that the centerpiece of Metroid's additions to Smash was Ridley, I'm not too broken up about Dark Samus this time around. I'll start complaining about it if she returns in Smash 6 however.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Maybe they anticipated the rather lukewarm reaction to Terry's reveal?

That, and knowing that additional characters are on the way breathes more life into the speculation cycle and keeps the game in the public eye for much longer.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think there's any hidden reason behind additional DLC reveal.

They probably decided it halfway through and just announced it when they had the chance.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Yeah, TBH announcing the extra post-pass stuff right after Terry felt super calculated.

Like, they knew Terry's appeal was very specific and if they left people thinking only one was left after him, there was gonna be a big 'ol Corrin-esque meltdown. Kinda like how they announced Banjo right after Hero.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yeah, TBH announcing the extra post-pass stuff right after Terry felt super calculated.

Like, they knew Terry's appeal was very specific and if they left people thinking only one was left after him, there was gonna be a big 'ol Corrin-esque meltdown. Kinda like how they announced Banjo right after Hero.
It felt calculated to me and I've been saying it since the reveal. Not so much for Terry, though, but for character 5.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Piranha Plant was also DLC. I doubt that literally ALL DLC characters will be from new franchises. I really hope that big upcoming Nintendo titles will also feature DLC characters, for example, Metroid Prime 4, BotW2 and I still hope Byleth makes it in as well.

Sorry it's about time Nintendo starts caring about their own home franchises for Smash DLC. Three Houses also will get additional DLC, so why not.
I think its pretty obvious PP was planned for the base game.

If you think all major nintnedo releases will get a dlc character it can still be new characters: astral chain fits your criteria. and bayonetta 3.

Nintendo and sakurai are in a bind with this ever-fluctuating fanbase now people are clamoring for more FE. Now people want Nintendo franchises even though the third party characters a drawing way more attention across all players.

and i dont think Nintendo expected people to act like terry was a poor choice. but if smash dlc is teaching Nintendo anything its that you always plan for toxicity in your fanbase.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I read somewhere too:ulthero:was planned for Base as well.
As far as I'm aware, there's no hard evidence that Hero was planned for base (If I'm wrong on that, please correct me), but it would make sense if they were since them being DLC rather than base seems like a rather calculated choice to avoid having to shell out too much of the base game profits.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Had an interesting thought today.

Between Nintendo, Konami, Sega, Capcom, Namco Bandai, Square Enix, Microsoft, and SNK, you could have an 8 player match in Smash where every character is from a different parent company.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dark Samus typically uses freaky alien tentacles and clones herself how is that even remotely similar to what Samus can do?
She can still shoot charge shots and missiles. Being a literal clone of Samus also means she can Screw Attack and Morph Ball. Dixie doesn't do the things Diddy does, same way as DK and Diddy don't do the things the other Kong does. Dark Samus and Dark Pit are literally in the same boat with this, but since they are LITERAL CLONES, they can get away with it.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Had an interesting thought today.

Between Nintendo, Konami, Sega, Capcom, Namco Bandai, Square Enix, Microsoft, and SNK, you could have an 8 player match in Smash where every character is from a different parent company.
I've actually done that the last time I played the game. It was

:ultmario:vs.:ultsnake:vs.:ultsonic:vs.:ultmegaman:vs.:ultpacman:vs.:ultcloud:vs.:ultbanjokazooie:vs.:ult_terry:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
She can still shoot charge shots and missiles. Being a literal clone of Samus also means she can Screw Attack and Morph Ball. Dixie doesn't do the things Diddy does, same way as DK and Diddy don't do the things the other Kong does. Dark Samus and Dark Pit are literally in the same boat with this, but since they are LITERAL CLONES, they can get away with it.
This really doesn't add up as Dark Samus' unique abilities are significantly more different than Dixie not having a jetpack and having a different popgun. Dixie can still flip, shoot a popgun, throw banana peels and pull off acrobatic ****. This is ultimately my problem with echoes, you want to justify your character by using echoes yet insist how cool and unique they are from the original fighter. If you ask me, Dixie deserves better than being an echo anyway

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If we do start getting echo DLC, then Octolings and Gooigi are locks. They come from recent games, are popular, and would be incredibly easy to make.

I'd also imagine some sort of Animal Crossing or Megaman rep.
That's probably true yes. However I also expect a Sonic Echo then, but am not sure which one. Maybe Tails can function as a Ken type Echo? Add Dixie as a sort of middle in between Isabelle / Ken type Echo and a semi clone and I'm also down. Funky Kong is otherwise a great choice and if he makes it and Dixie doesn't, it makes the void of her being absent easier. I'd also love it if Impa could be a Echo of Sheik, but am not sure.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
That's probably true yes. However I also expect a Sonic Echo then, but am not sure which one. Maybe Tails can function as a Ken type Echo? Add Dixie as a sort of middle in between Isabelle / Ken type Echo and a semi clone and I'm also down. Funky Kong is otherwise a great choice and if he makes it and Dixie doesn't, it makes the void of her being absent easier. I'd also love it if Impa could be a Echo of Sheik, but am not sure.
I feel like Blaze can work as a Sonic echo.

They have more or less the same moveset but are visually distinct enough to actually feel like different characters, plus Blaze is already one of the more popular Sonic characters so I doubt anyone would complain if she were included

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Who do you guys think is the bigger face of Capcom?:ultmegaman:or:ultryu:

Before with my 8 player Smash I went with Megaman because he came before but now that I think about it I kinda feel Ryu might be the bigger face and might swap Mega Man for him.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
As far as I'm aware, there's no hard evidence that Hero was planned for base (If I'm wrong on that, please correct me), but it would make sense if they were since them being DLC rather than base seems like a rather calculated choice to avoid having to shell out too much of the base game profits.
The hard evidence is Sakurai himself. He appeared on a launch stream for 11S and he explained it was a business decision to minimalize lost money to Sugiyama. Piranha Plant was planned for base game but got cut due to constraints but they were already so far in development they decided to finish Plant

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Who do you guys think is the bigger face of Capcom?:ultmegaman:or:ultryu:

Before with my 8 player Smash I went with Megaman because he came before but now that I think about it I kinda feel Ryu might be the bigger face and might swap Mega Man for him.
I always felt like Megaman was a bigger face because everyone kinda views him as Capcom's mascot despite Capcom not actually having a mascot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom