• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
If anyone remembers the old icons I used to make (not the old old ones, the new old ones), I decided to make more:

Anybody who wants one, hmu.
This right here is a pretty good representation of who I think actually have shots at getting in. The only one I would add is Dovahkiin.

Speaking of which, could you do one of these for Isaac (Golden Sun), Scorpion, and Dovahkiin and add them to this collective image you've made? You can take out the Monster Hunter so it's a perfect five-by-five grid. I won't be mad :-)

Thanks in advance!

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to contenders for FP5, I feel like I've been overlooking a left-field pick, or more accurately, not a mainstream pick (Geno, Doomguy, RE reps, Crash, etc.). While he's not exactly unknown, I feel like if we don't get a Bamco rep, it's very possible we could get Travis Touchdown.

While I've never played any of the games in the series, I do know that it's got quite a niche market, enough so that we're getting another sequel. And I know that Sakurai is bugged by Suda (I think that's his name?) about his inclusion often. Also, he's only graced Nintendo's consoles and he looks like he would be fun.

What are your thoughts?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
When it comes to contenders for FP5, I feel like I've been overlooking a left-field pick, or more accurately, not a mainstream pick (Geno, Doomguy, RE reps, Crash, etc.). While he's not exactly unknown, I feel like if we don't get a Bamco rep, it's very possible we could get Travis Touchdown.

While I've never played any of the games in the series, I do know that it's got quite a niche market, enough so that we're getting another sequel. And I know that Sakurai is bugged by Suda (I think that's his name?) about his inclusion often. Also, he's only graced Nintendo's consoles and he looks like he would be fun.

What are your thoughts?
I think he's already been indirectly deconfirmed by Suda51 as they requested fans to ask for Travis in Smash, but given the offbeat sense of humor in NMH, it could be a hint.
At the very least Travis is a viable choice to support beyond the Pass.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I've no interest in most of the newcomers. It's been long enough now that these moveset should be changed...at the very least to make them better represent the characters themselves. In a hypothetical Smash reboot this would be my number one want. Cut most of the cast, especially characters that aren't relevant to their series anymore, see ya Sheik, and completely revamp what's left.

Like I get people have grown to like them but I can't care to play as Mario if he hasn't changed since I played as him as a kid, or if half of his moveset is made up for Smash.
every single time games do this especially fighting games the fanbase hates it. ask Soulcalibur about 5. street fighter about 3 and sf3 second impact. Ask about tekken 2. Even other games like halo 5, sonic team racing vs all star racing. or sonic in general in the 3d era. Rebooting games with larger and often older fanbases it doesnt go well.

if nintendo wanted to rebot some of these characters movesets they should have made less echoes and clones they have had chances: they brought dr. mario back, the made dark samus, daisy, created chrom and maybe more.
rebooting smash is not a good idea.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If anyone remembers the old icons I used to make (not the old old ones, the new old ones), I decided to make more:

Anybody who wants one, hmu.
Pretty much my choices are all here except Spyro, Lara Croft, Shovel Knight (if Bomberman's viable, so is Shovel Knight), Leon Kennedy (who is realistically the first RE choice over Jill), and Amaterasu.
EDIT: And yea. I forgot Dragonborn, but others suggested him. He's got a decent shot.
If you expand to Nintendo choices, Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium made this for me:
First Party DLC.png

Rex + Pyra, Chorus Kids, Andy, Takamaru, Tetra, and Rillaboom are also very possible.

If Echo Fighters are a thing, Ms. Pac-Man, Shadow, Proto Man, Jeanne, Zack Fair, Coco Bandicoot, Toadette, Ribbon Girl, Ayane, Kasumi, Ninten, Dry Bowser, Paper Luigi, Funky Kong, Demise, and Raichu all come to mind as prime candidates. I assume you could figure out who they're Echoing. :p

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Pretty much my choices are all here except Spyro, Lara Croft, Shovel Knight (if Bomberman's viable, so is Shovel Knight), Leon Kennedy (who is realistically the first RE choice over Jill), and Amaterasu.
If you expand to Nintendo choices, Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium made this for me:
View attachment 247008
Rex + Pyra, Chorus Kids, Andy, Takamaru, Tetra, and Rillaboom are also very possible.

If Echo Fighters are a thing, Ms. Pac-Man, Shadow, Proto Man, Jeanne, Zack Fair, Coco Bandicoot, Toadette, Ribbon Girl, Ayane, Kasumi, Ninten, Dry Bowser, Paper Luigi, Funky Kong, Demise, and Raichu all come to mind as prime candidates. I assume you could figure out who they're Echoing. :p
Paper Mario and skull kid are the only Nintendo characters I actively want

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Paper Mario and skull kid are the only Nintendo characters I actively want
I think we should get Impa and Tingle (the recurring Zelda characters) before we get one-off characters. *Ehem*Sheik*Ehem*
And yes, I included Tetra, but she was supposedly planned for Brawl, so I included her for the sake of completeness.

Something that isn't wanted just for the grass quota is more possible.
Rillaboom is the best designed of the SwSh starters. Plus, he could have a unique rhythm mechanic, which is too fun to pass up.
Imagine guaranteed combos based on hitting the buttons in perfect rhythm.
Incineroar's Side-B on crack.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
I think we should get Impa and Tingle (the recurring Zelda characters) before we get one-off characters. *Ehem*Sheik*Ehem*
And yes, I included Tetra, but she was supposedly planned for Brawl, so I included her for the sake of completeness.
Idk, We need more villains and Skull kid is ICONIC, and I feel impa would just be a sheik echo as she’s kind of low priority

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Skull Kid isn’t a one-off, though.

even if he’s only major in one game tbh...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Idk, We need more villains and Skull kid is ICONIC, and I feel impa would just be a sheik echo as she’s kind of low priority
I take offense to this. This is like making Dixie an Echo of Diddy.
UNACCEPTABLE!

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Imagine remembering that it's not just fully evolved starters.
index.jpg

Or, since you think Tetra is possible, picking something based on years of popularity?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

What are your thoughts?
Didn't Suda disconfirm Travis for the current Fighter Pass, though?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Imagine remembering that it's not just fully evolved starters.
View attachment 247009
Or, since you think Tetra is possible, picking something based on years of popularity?
I would love to have Blaziken.
I also once had an idea of having Zoroark as an Echo of Lucario without the Aura Mechanic. But Side-B replaced with Wolf's Side-B, as Force Palm is pretty useless without lots of Aura to kill super early.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Skull Kid is the Zelda character I want, but if we're going with the idea of choosing a recurring villain, then there's always Vaati.

Impa? At this point, I'd half-like to see them subvert expectations and give us the NES-era impa as a spellcaster. >_>

As far as the new Pokemon go... If we have to get one, I'll take the Hat-waifu.
But it will be a starter. I don't believe they'll ever not do that.
TCG rep could give all 3 starters and more in the form of cards though... Just saying...

Plank08

Smash Lord
I just really want Skull Kid after Sakurai did him dirty not showing him in a direct getting my hopes up but still had the time to talk about brightness

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I take offense to this. This is like making Dixie an Echo of Diddy.
Which is like making Dark Samus an Echo of Samus. And thus, entirely possible.

Even though Impa is becoming famous for wielding a naginata since Hyrule Warriors, being an echo of a fake Shiekah clan ninja is still quite likely.

Though if it were up to me, I'd make Impa the main and Shiek the echo.

Impa? At this point, I'd half-like to see them subvert expectations and give us the NES-era impa as a spellcaster.
NES-era Impa wasn't really a spellcaster though. She was just an old woman, not some kind of witch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Which is like making Dark Samus an Echo of Samus. And thus, entirely possible.
(--.--||)

Out of all the Dixie supporters I have seen, he's just that hard to believe that Dixie can be made into a full-fledged fighter and not an echo. Dark Samus did bring a lot to the table when she was an Assist in Smash 4, though I'm honestly fine with her as an echo. And this is coming from someone who pockets Dark Samus and prefers her over regular one.

Honestly, no offense to him, but I'm more firm with the Dixie echo idea. I mean, yeah, sure, she has more unique movesets, though depending on how the devs will design her, they'll probably either take the enthusiastic path with a new moveset or take the lazy path and do what they did with Chrom; change just one move.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But seriously tho, Scorpion is the underdog. He has incredible odds.
Idc lol

Honestly Banjo was the only 3rd party character I really could get excited for. Now it's honestly just first party characters. I'll enjoy inclusions like Amaterasu, Monster Hunter or someone from Soul Calibur, but that's honestly it.

Scorpion wouldn't be all THAT bad however.. at least I'll know what he can bring to the table.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

Rillaboom is the best designed of the SwSh starters. Plus, he could have a unique rhythm mechanic, which is too fun to pass up.
Incineroar's Side-B on crack.
Yeah, a Rhythm Heaven character's gimmick getting taken by an 11th Pokemon fighter would be so cool-
Actually, the file said Toon Sheik without any reference for Tetra, so while it would have been kind of weird, it's possible that it was actually supposed to be Toon Sheik instead of Tetra despite there never being one of those otherwise, though they did have a TP design for Sheik that went unused in the actual Zelda game.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

What are your thoughts?
Travis Touchdown would be a good character to end the pass however that all hinges on whether or not Suda is being honest or is hiding him.

I'm just hoping that the leakers are wrong and that Doom Guy is Fighter #5.

D

Deleted member

Travis Touchdown would be a good character to end the pass however that all hinges on whether or not Suda is being honest or is hiding him
Honestly, the devs do lie sometimes...

I just want a female fighter in the pass, please? Mind if you save Doomguy for Season 2?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Having seen all the final forms of the Galar starters, I think all of them could work as a Smash character. The final form of Sobble though, it may have too much in common with Greninja.

Then again, we got 4 beautiful blue haired sword lords from Fire Emblem (Well 3 beautiful and one handsome if you wanna be technical) so who knows?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Eh, I'm still banking on Capcom for CP5. They got two of the Mega Man costumes back, but there are still two left, along with the MH costumes.

If it's Resident Evil, I do think there's a big chance that whoever doesn't get the playable role (Jill or Leon) will become a Mii Costume instead.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Eh, I'm still banking on Capcom for CP5. They got two of the Mega Man costumes back, but there are still two left, along with the MH costumes.

If it's Resident Evil, I do think there's a big chance that whoever doesn't get the playable role (Jill or Leon) will become a Mii Costume instead.
Oh god Jill having the design that stands out the most with her blue beret suddenly ends up going against her

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm quite sure we're gonna get some Echoes as DLC down the line. Anyone willing to discuss that yet?

Also, neither Dixie or Impa SHOULD be an Echo , but they could end up being sort of Ken-like Echoes. Dark Samus is a bad example btw. She's a literal clone in Metroid, even in lore. Dixie has a whole gimmick around her with her Helicopter Spin. She could be a semi clone with ease. But a full Echo? No. Just no. Not without her own gimmicks at least included in, and if they do that much effort, might as well make her more unique.

Impa can easily be a full Echo however. I'm hoping Impa will be in BotW2 , and turn up as sort of bonus DLC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm quite sure we're gonna get some Echoes as DLC down the line. Anyone willing to discuss that yet?
Echoes were mostly just quick ways to get fighters in with Sakurai's crunch time though. That was how Dark Pit and Lucina were made. That was most likely how Dark Samus and Chrom were made.

I really don't see the odds of Echo DLC. I think Sakurai is more interested in merging new games into Smash Bros. I'm also going off of Smash 4 where we got zero unique clones for DLC.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Also, neither Dixie or Impa SHOULD be an Echo , but they could end up being sort of Ken-like Echoes. Dark Samus is a bad example btw. She's a literal clone in Metroid, even in lore. Dixie has a whole gimmick around her with her Helicopter Spin. She could be a semi clone with ease. But a full Echo? No. Just no. Not without her own gimmicks at least included in, and if they do that much effort, might as well make her more unique.

Impa can easily be a full Echo however. I'm hoping Impa will be in BotW2 , and turn up as sort of bonus DLC.
Dark Samus typically uses freaky alien tentacles and clones herself how is that even remotely similar to what Samus can do?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Piranha Plant was also DLC. I doubt that literally ALL DLC characters will be from new franchises. I really hope that big upcoming Nintendo titles will also feature DLC characters, for example, Metroid Prime 4, BotW2 and I still hope Byleth makes it in as well.

Sorry it's about time Nintendo starts caring about their own home franchises for Smash DLC. Three Houses also will get additional DLC, so why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom