• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Not completely sure that'd work honestly. Maaybe if you go basic, but I get the impression that Chris and Jill are different enough.
I'm willing to bet that Sakurai would include all four of them together as alt costumes to make fans happy. Sakurai has never been consistent in making characters match heights and I'd imagine all four characters would play the same as each other.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I'm willing to bet that Sakurai would include all four of them together as alt costumes to make fans happy. Sakurai has never been consistent in making characters match heights and I'd imagine all four characters would play the same as each other.
I’d hope they’d do something like this if Phoenix got in too, as Apollo and Athena are fairly similar to Phoenix in terms of personality, though I think Apollo would be closer moveset wise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Who did you want?

I had no expectations/particular wants for a Smash Character. Out of the pass when it comes to franchise reps I'm fans of and love it's currently just Joker. I enjoy KOF and DQ games but I'm not a fan. As for BK, actually never played a Banjo game.
Before the September Direct, it was only Hayabusa, Nightmare, Cooking Mama, and a Dynasty Warriors character like Zhao Yun or Lu Bu since this was before the announcement of more DLC characters on the way and the Fighter Pass felt a lot more dire back then. After that announcement, I started looking into more characters that I'd like to see in Smash, so adding on to that small list was Francis York Morgan, Ryza, Layton, Sol Badguy, Aiai, Geralt, Byleth, and Jacket but as a Mii Costume since Hotline Miami probably doesn't fit with Smash.

Out of the 11 franchises since Hotline Miami techically doesn't count, Dynasty Warriors, Soulcalibur, Guilty Gear, and The Witcher are the 4 series I think are likely to end the current Fighter Pass on, so it's only a matter of time until I get either 1 - 4 or 0 - 5.

SKX31

Smash Master
I know Sakurai said that “Nintendo” chose the DLC lineup, but I do wonder who exactly at Nintendo was calling the shots for DLC.

Did it go all the way up to Furukawa? We’re others at Nintendo involved in the selection and negotiation process? We may never know exactly how DLC creation went down, but it’s interesting speculation.
I'd assume Furukawa's involved since he's Ultimate's Excecutive Producer - the guy above Sakurai. Sakurai is counted as Ultimate's Director FTR. So there's ample reason to assume Furukawa's among the team helping Sakurai negotiate for characters. He might even be the lead guy giving Sakurai the list to choose from.

Nintendo's investors and CEOs (including Furukawa) are also explicitely targeting "Other" regions - Furukawa mentioned the Middle East and Southeast Asia specifically as targets for expansion since they saw an uptick in interest and sales there. Not just China. I get the impression his thinking is somewhere along the lines of "Why only have 3 major regions when you can have more! At some point, lets be realistic and build this up step by step."

That might affect the list to some degree - Furukawa might look into characters who have that "Other regions" bonus going for them (Crash, Heihachi, even wildcards like LoL etc.) as one method of expanding Nintendo's reach and sales. I wouldn't be surprised if Furukawa saw :ult_terry: partly as a way to make LatAm and Chinese fighting fans notice Ultimate big time. He's a marketing guy, after all. But again, Sakurai has the final say.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Out of the 11 franchises since Hotline Miami techically doesn't count, Dynasty Warriors, Soulcalibur, Guilty Gear, and The Witcher are the 4 series I think are likely to end the current Fighter Pass on, so it's only a matter of time until I get either 1 - 4 or 0 - 5.
The Witcher originated as a novel, which makes the chances of a character from that series being added in next to none.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Since we have no news on FP5 yet, here's a simple question for ya'll:

How many characters you wanted in Smash are currently in the Fighter Pass? Right now, I'm 0 - 4, which kills me inside that this Fighter Pass hasn't had anyone that I wanted to see.
Only :ultbanjokazooie:
That was the best-case scenario for me. Ultimate added basically everyone I wanted that could have even had a realistic chance but didn't make it in Smash 4. It's all downhill from here unless another miracle happens. Though with so many of my dream characters finally in, why should I even complain.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since we have no news on FP5 yet, here's a simple question for ya'll:

How many characters you wanted in Smash are currently in the Fighter Pass? Right now, I'm 0 - 4, which kills me inside that this Fighter Pass hasn't had anyone that I wanted to see.
Only:ultbanjokazooie:so far supposedly.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I still feel some people are looking too much into Reggie's quote. All he pretty much stated is that all DLC characters are newcomers. And even then, Mii costumes like Lloyd and Heihachi don't count as they don't bring a new universe as it's just costumes for miis to dress up as. The Fighter's Pass characters brings 1 character, 1 stage, music for the stages, and DLC spirits for their series, none of which Tales and Tekken have.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If anyone remembers the old icons I used to make (not the old old ones, the new old ones), I decided to make more:

Anybody who wants one, hmu.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
If anyone remembers the old icons I used to make (not the old old ones, the new old ones), I decided to make more:

One of these for Joshua Fireseed from Turok 2 would be amazing (of course with the titular Turok as his in game name)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sorry, before it gets too crazy, I meant if you want the link to one of those ones, lemme know. My bad, it wasn't very clear. I've done the request game before, it gets nuts.

But if enough people want a certain character I can probably get on it.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Sorry, before it gets too crazy, I meant if you want the link to one of those ones, lemme know. My bad, it wasn't very clear. I've done the request game before, it gets nuts.

T_T Understandable *sniff*

But in all seriousness, those look rad

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Alright so THEORETICALLY Fighter 5 IS NOT:

- Crash
- Hayabusa
- Doom Slayer
- Geno
- Scorpion
- A character affiliated w/ Sega/Atlus, Square, Micro/Rare, and SNK

Who are the biggest names that are contenders for FP5 atm?
Good.

I was kind of getting tired with these characters taking up all the discussion. Glad they're taken out of consideration right now.

I say it's likely gonna be Byleth.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
Before the September Direct, it was only Hayabusa, Nightmare, Cooking Mama, and a Dynasty Warriors character like Zhao Yun or Lu Bu since this was before the announcement of more DLC characters on the way and the Fighter Pass felt a lot more dire back then. After that announcement, I started looking into more characters that I'd like to see in Smash, so adding on to that small list was Francis York Morgan, Ryza, Layton, Sol Badguy, Aiai, Geralt, Byleth, and Jacket but as a Mii Costume since Hotline Miami probably doesn't fit with Smash.

Yeah, that's a good selection. I frequently said about how Lu Bu would be a lot of fun to a friend of mine and how Koei having a good relationship makes me hope optimistically for him.

It would also be brilliant to see a character in Smash who is technically a historical figure, even if it is exaggerated heavily for the sake of gameplay/story.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

These look great!

I'd appreciate the links for KOS-MOS, Geno, and Monster Hunter.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

These look great. Links for Lloyd, Reimu, and Ryu? Can you make ones for Sol, Leon, and Velvet?

SKX31

Smash Master

All right, no worries at all. Can I get the links to KOS-MOS, Chief, Tracer and Dante? And if you have the time, I'd suggest Ahri (LoL).

yeet123

Banned via Warnings

can you please make one for Gordon Ramsey? Hes my most wanted

UserKev

Smash Champion
Good.

I was kind of getting tired with these characters taking up all the discussion. Glad they're taken out of consideration right now.

I say it's likely gonna be Byleth.
But seriously tho, Scorpion is the underdog. He has incredible odds.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Thanks for feedback, everyone! Glad you guys like them.

I'll send out the links later; I got waylaid; sorry! Feel free to DM me requests if you want (don't wanna highjack this thread too much). If a character gets enough demand (and doesn't suck), I can probably cook up an icon for them.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
1000+ Flavor text descriptions that have to be translated into multiple different languages would be quite a bit of a workload, I’m disappointed by it but I can see why they decided to skip it this game.
Between this and presumably having to get approval from every third party on exactly how the flavour text goes about describing their character (even if it was just a mere sentence about them?), I guess this is something they won't fix through patches ;C But I hope they can at least add in Boss Rush and a Targets option in Stage Builder. Yeah Home Run Contest was "pretty much the final mode", but what are essentially already present in the WoL finale (minus the Hands) and already possible in Stage Builder substituting explosion boxes for the targets respectively, perhaps shouldn't be too much work of a new mode inclusion, right? Just give Boss Rush the the Mural difficulty scaler (as well as maybe the Master Hand thing as the penultimate minigame?) and Stage Builder a sub-section option that adds in breakable Targets and a separate section for BtT stages and we're good; IDK if it'd be weird if they just added it without making "example BtT stages", but it can't possibly be a worse representation to the minigame than the Angry Birds thing from 4 :4pacman:

IDK if they're already past that kind of development if Terry's update barely brought anything additional to the table, but it'd be a shame to not have them when they seem maybe kind of easy to implement? Same with giving Squad Strike online capabilities.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
The fact that they're just trademarking it NOW though suggests to me that they weren't part of the original 5 DLC characters that were negotiated, like, 2 years ago. And are some of the further on DLC that's just being negotiated for now.
It’ll be ridiculous for Namco to NOT trademark their fighter stuff before the announcement of the fighter’s pass.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings

I'll send out the links later; I got waylaid; sorry! Feel free to DM me requests if you want (don't wanna highjack this thread too much). If a character gets enough demand (and doesn't suck), I can probably cook up an icon for them.
cook up?.....

Gordon Ramsey confiiiiiirmed

CureParfait

Smash Ace

Wow these are nice.

Can you make a Darkrai one please?

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace

Oh my GAWD...

Cooking Mama is in!

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace

Now this is cool. And you got my four main wanted in there(Travis, Reimu, Dante, and Phoenix Wright).

For suggestions from me.... Maybe Kazuma Kiryu, Monokuma, Ragna The Bloodedge, or Lu Bu? Just some ideas there since those are also wanted choices from me but are unlikely but why not.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Since the CSS' 91-square limit is a common point of discussion (As in, if there's more than 90 fighters on the CSS along with the random button the game crashes trying to load it due to how the layout file for the CSS is designed to only account for 91 squares), I decided to make some slight changes to Ultimate's params to show what a fully-stacked CSS of 90 fighters looks like.

2019111617502100-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

Let it be known that I really don't think this limit means we're getting eleven more DLC fighters, but since it's something brought up on occasion I thought people might be curious about what it looks like.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
In regards to the topics a couple pages back:

For DLC it's been 0-4 for me. I'm happy for Banjo fans and while I like the Dragon Quest series I'm more partial to the builder games and really mostly just prefer the character's I've created in them. Not that have anything against silent protagonists I just haven't really played any of the games besides DQIX and both builder games, so I don't have any nostalgia or hype for those characters. Joker and Terry have been extremely meh to me. I couldn't care less about the characters or the games and series they're from. Frankly the character selection for this game has kinda sucked. I only really got hyped for Isabelle, Inkling, and K. Rool. I'd be happy seeing more first parties especially from more recent games, and as far as third parties go there's only two I want, outside of another Sonic character, and those are Shantae and Crash.

Also, about spirits...I hate them I'd much rather have trophies. Also a proper All-star mode, the return of break the targets with unique stages, a REAL adventure mode with actual platforming stages to play on that are unique to that mode, and a events mode with unique events. Also maybe for once actually give the older characters like Link and Mario new movesets? Like it's going on 20+ years now and they're still the same.

Honestly I know this gonna be a unpopular opinion but I've found the game kinda disappointing thus far. It doesn't really matter if all the characters and stages are back if all the modes I actually liked are gone.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Also maybe for once actually give the older characters like Link and Mario new movesets? Like it's going on 20+ years now and they're still the same.
That is an awful idea. People have grown to really like some of the older veterans. Mario especially is a fantastic fighter to play as. Sets of minor changes like Link from 4 to Ult are fine, but fighters who people have grown to like should never be totally overhauled. That's inconsiderate. If you want new movesets, play the newcomers.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Since the CSS' 91-square limit is a common point of discussion (As in, if there's more than 90 fighters on the CSS along with the random button the game crashes trying to load it due to how the layout file for the CSS is designed to only account for 91 squares), I decided to make some slight changes to Ultimate's params to show what a fully-stacked CSS of 90 fighters looks like.

Let it be known that I really don't think this limit means we're getting eleven more DLC fighters, but since it's something brought up on occasion I thought people might be curious about what it looks like.
Missed opportunity not filling up those extra slots with Marth, ahaha.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Well it's a good thing that Sgt. Cortez has no HD model to use... yeah, good thing... :^(

Other than that, I would like the Crono and Doom Guy links please.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That is an awful idea. People have grown to really like some of the older veterans. Mario especially is a fantastic fighter to play as. Sets of minor changes like Link from 4 to Ult are fine, but fighters who people have grown to like should never be totally overhauled. That's inconsiderate. If you want new movesets, play the newcomers.
At the same time, characters like Samus would be VERY different had she been idk, a Brawl character so while most 64 movesets have aged well, some have not. There's also example of veterans getting revamped like Bowser, who's very different when compared to his original Melee version and got a gimmick

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Man, if we have a hard time figuring out who the next character is, we're gonna go nuts trying to figure out the other 10.

Then again, all the characters we ruled out were only for the no. 5 slot itself.
What's the list on that again? I remember Crash and Hyabusa.

D

Deleted member

Good morning y'all.

Nothing much to do today.

That looks interesting to say the least.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Man, if we have a hard time figuring out who the next character is, we're gonna go nuts trying to figure out the other 10.

Then again, all the characters we ruled out were only for the no. 5 slot itself.
What's the list on that again? I remember Crash and Hyabusa.
Here's who we know are not going to be #5:
  • Crash
  • Hayabusa
  • Tracer
  • Doomguy
  • Geno
  • Scorpion

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's who we know are not going to be #5:
  • Crash
  • Hayabusa
  • Tracer
  • Doomguy
  • Geno
  • Scorpion
That narrows things down quite a bit, especially in regards to getting new companies on board.

Currently a Namco rep of some kind is at the top of my speculation lists.
Roughly ordered: Dark Souls = Tales of > Tekken > Digimon = Tomogatchi > Another arcade star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom