• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Echoes kind of tread a thin-line for me.

1) For characters like Dark Samus, it really feels like a waste compared to everything she should be capable of... I'd have been more down with SA-X as an echo except...

2) Certain echoes just feel too easy/lazy, honestly. This is where I stand with Gooigi right now and unless it were severely tweaked (and had a fresh Final Smash), SA-X would be in the same boat. It's also what causes the possibility of Princess Hilda to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Had we gotten a different incarnation of Zelda (FSA, SS, or one of the NES designs), a Hilda echo would have been great, but given the version of Zelda we did get, it would feel like nothing but wasted potential, IMO. :-/

And I'm never really fond of "Same Character in a different outfit" additions, so that leaves a limited pool that I feel they could work with and still have it feel alright. Ninten (eh...), another F-Zero racer, more Shotoclones (bleh), one of the Sonic crew, etc. could all work, but even then you have to tread carefully.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If we do start getting echo DLC, then Octolings and Gooigi are locks. They come from recent games, are popular, and would be incredibly easy to make.

I'd also imagine some sort of Animal Crossing or Megaman rep.
Octoling as an echo would be a huge waste, to the point where I'd prefer Octoling not to get in at all rather than to set the moveset precedent of them as an echo. Inkling is wholly a Splatoon 1 rep, as things currently stand. Given Splatoon 2's insane popularity (it's outsold everything not named Pokemon, Mario, Smash Bros, or Zelda, and gave BotW a very close run for its money), along with the hugely diverse weapon and equipment options within the game, more than one full Splatoon rep is absolutely warranted. Octoling can and should be a completely unique character, not an echo.

In any case, I doubt very much that we'll get an "echo pass" like has been mooted around here. I just don't see it being very exciting for most consumers.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
In any case, I doubt very much that we'll get an "echo pass" like has been mooted around here. I just don't see it being very exciting for most consumers.
Didn't Sakurai himself say that there would be no more echo fighters anyways?

super unrelated but can anyone dm me about how to change my title from smash apprentice to something else? or do i need premium?

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant was also DLC. I doubt that literally ALL DLC characters will be from new franchises. I really hope that big upcoming Nintendo titles will also feature DLC characters, for example, Metroid Prime 4, BotW2 and I still hope Byleth makes it in as well.

Sorry it's about time Nintendo starts caring about their own home franchises for Smash DLC. Three Houses also will get additional DLC, so why not.
Yeah I’m pretty sure the new worlds thing was a translation error but Pirahna Plant was meant to be base game

Night Gale

Smash Ace
You people can debate about echoes all you want but don't let that distract you from the fact that Trevor f***ing Belmont was the biggest missed opportunity.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

super unrelated but can anyone dm me about how to change my title from smash apprentice to something else? or do i need premium?
Just keep commenting.
Anyway, speaking of SA-X, if Sakurai decided to implement a "true" shapeshifting fighter in Smash, who would you want to see given that moveset?
Imagine someone like Kirby but taken up to 11.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If I recall, you need to be either premium or a mod, otherwise, just keep posting and your title will change eventually.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
An Echo is better than nothing.

Especially for Metroid, one of Nintendo's most criminally niche franchises that's lucky to still be alive? I will happily take something over nothing.
Yeah, exactly.

As much as I'd adore either a unique, playable Dark Samus (or a unique, playable Metroid Prime. The Final form Metroid Prime if they could somehow make that work) I'll take an Echo. Especially considering Ultimate's circumstances of being developed right after Smash 4. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai wanted more than just Daisy to help justify (Edit) the change from clones to Echoes, so Dark Samus and Chrom were upgraded.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Not exactly, he said none of the fighters pass would be echos.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
An Echo is better than nothing.

Especially for Metroid, one of Nintendo's most criminally niche franchises that's lucky to still be alive? I will happily take something over nothing.
Honestly I think Metroid has quite a future ahead. They found a way to make 2D platformers fresh again, and they're making Prime 4.

Now I just wish they showed the same love to Donkey Kong Country honestly. Because it has never been a niche franchise ever.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Think there could be some echoes post pass or so? I think Octoling and Kasumi (P5R) could be two of them
I've been mulling over the idea of Echo Fighters as a cheaper stop-gap option to keep the hype and DLC going post pass. Gooigi from Luigi's Mansion 3 is a pick I think could happen and Hilda from Link between Worlds is one I'm confused wasn't in.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Think there could be some echoes post pass or so? I think Octoling and Kasumi (P5R) could be two of them
Kasumi would be a pretty odd choice for an echo, I think. Every other Phantom Thief is more important than her (well, except maybe Haru), so it'd be super weird for her to be put in when she's essentially just another party member. If anything, it'd be better for them to put in Yu or Makoto as echoes, since they were actually protagonists. Plus, Kasumi uses a sword, not a knife, which I imagine would demand some rather different hitboxes & animations.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Honestly I think Metroid has quite a future ahead. They found a way to make 2D platformers fresh again, and they're making Prime 4.

Now I just wish they showed the same love to Donkey Kong Country honestly. Because it has never been a niche franchise ever.
Well, I wouldn't be so sure. Samus Returns was a good game and is generally praised by Metroid fans, and is a great start to revitalize the franchise but Prime 4 will be the real test for that. In terms of quality I don't doubt that it will be at least a good game, we're talking about Retro Studios and their talent is clear. But maybe the game will need something more to attract new fans, and of course, good sales to make Nintendo happy.

Also I'm hoping for Metroid 5, I liked Samus Returns because Metroid 2 needed a remake but from now on I don't want more remakes for Metroid 2D, I think it's about time we get a sequel for Metroid Fusion. I mean, Fusion came out in 2002. I wanna know what happens to Samus after Fusion!

At the same time, I don't think DK Country doesn't receive love, but certainly I'm unsure about what holds for DK games in the future. I mean, if Retro isn't making new Donkey Kong games, who will do it? I don't see Nintendo really interested in doing it, even if they have talented people for platforming games.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Dark Samus and Dark Pit are literally in the same boat with this, but since they are LITERAL CLONES, they can get away with it.
Okay, now you're just choosing to be willfully ignorant.

LITERALLY NOT SAMUS' CLONE.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well, I wouldn't be so sure. Samus Returns was a good game and is generally praised by Metroid fans, and is a great start to revitalize the franchise but Prime 4 will be the real test for that. In terms of quality I don't doubt that it will be at least a good game, we're talking about Retro Studios and their talent is clear. But maybe the game will need something more to attract new fans, and of course, good sales to make Nintendo happy.

Also I'm hoping for Metroid 5, I liked Samus Returns because Metroid 2 needed a remake but from now on I don't want more remakes for Metroid 2D, I think it's about time we get a sequel for Metroid Fusion. I mean, Fusion came out in 2002. I wanna know what happens to Samus after Fusion!

At the same time, I don't think DK Country doesn't receive love, but certainly I'm unsure about what holds for DK games in the future. I mean, if Retro isn't making new Donkey Kong games, who will do it? I don't see Nintendo really interested in doing it, even if they have talented people for platforming games.
Prime 4 is a Switch game so it won't struggle as much as Samus Returns did alongside the fact we already know Prime 4 is a thing instead of like 4 months before launch

SNEKeater

Smash Master
That tweet could be hinting a new reveal but maybe not. The official account is remembering these last days some moments from the previous event. Yesterday they posted a tweet about the "Boy" moment, for example.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Metroid is gonna live or die based on how Prime 4 does. Historically, it ain't a series that shifts major numbers. Time will tell where it ends up.

DKC is fine. Both it's newest games sold great enough to be ported to different consoles well past initial release with extra content in both. I'd say the series is fine IMO.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Idk guys i think the VGAs are looking like the spot for #5's reveal between Sabis tweets and these hints

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I still want to know who was initially making Prime 4 and was doing such a bad job that they got the project taken away from them.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I still want to know who was initially making Prime 4 and was doing such a bad job that they got the project taken away from them.
Wasn't it Namco or someone?

I'm more interested in what Retro was up to the whole 5 years between Tropical Freeze and MP 4....

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wasn't it Namco or someone?

I'm more interested in what Retro was up to the whole 5 years between Tropical Freeze and MP 4....
What WAS the secret Retro project anyway? It wasn’t Prime 4 obviously as that was a takeover, and not TF either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom