• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You always act like this and have made it clear you're incredibly impatient for Smash news, not to mention you just posted the same thing in a different thread
I thought maybe the way I worded my post would had given a hint but really I was just kidding here.

D

Deleted member

You always act like this and have made it clear you're incredibly impatient for Smash news, not to mention you just posted the same thing in a different thread
Well, it's just that we don't have any Smash news for like, a long period of time or anything, so yeah

blackghost

Smash Champion
I mean, if the newest Tales characters become massively popular, maybe they could get into a future game, but as of now, if Xenoblade 2 and ARMS characters couldn't get in I doubt a character from an unreleased game could. Characters like Joker got in after at least a couple years of being massively popular.
not the same thing. we have ob record xenoblade 2 was too late to make it in the base roster. joker came out almost half a year after smash released and is third party. ARMs got an AT which is not nothing.

Can't even see how a "the series boils down to be mediocre" comment can become some sort of tease.

And now that I brought that up, I'm just left wondering how many Tales games are actually acclaimed. So far, only Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia seem to get any praise. I know of people who love Berseria's cast, but not the game itself.
i would watch out for the word "acclaim" tales has sold over 20 million copies in its series history. clearly SOMEONE likes it. contemporary reactions to a new game dont change a series legacy. Tales has several characters that fit but the top two are Llyod and Yuri. If we get a tales rep its one of the two.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I saw Kasumi in gameplay and overall, in that game, she is just a new party member. She's not really connected to the main plot at all.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I saw Kasumi in gameplay and overall, in that game, she is just a new party member. She's not really connected to the main plot at all.
She is more connected to the main plot, but it’s in a VERY spoilery way

like her appearances and abilities aren’t a spoiler but some other major things are

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So if it is a Tales of person will it be the fan favorite Lloyd like Final Fantasy got Cloud or will it be the one from the newset or the up and coming Tales of game?
Given how Smash 4 gave us a Lloyd costume and not a Yuri one, I'd put my money on Lloyd if we got Tales Of.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The Smash 4 Pac-Man icon is better for showing that a message is sarcastic.
Not much of a difference since they both share a similar expression. I'd say ultimate expresses the sarcasm way better since Pac-Man opens his mouth like a muppet.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How is Pac-Man representative of sarcastic speech? He's an earnest fellow who just wants to see his wife and children again after Midway took them in the divorce.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
Please no P5R talk ladies, I'm waiting for the localisation and man doesn't wanna know how steamy the romance with Kasumi is.

Why do people want Tales' Lloyd so much? Always see him hovering at the top of want lists.

D

Deleted member

Please no P5R talk ladies, I'm waiting for the localisation and man doesn't wanna know how steamy the romance with Kasumi is.

Why do people want Tales' Lloyd so much? Always see him hovering at the top of want lists.
Symphonia was my first Tales game so Lloyd's what comes to my mind when I think of Tales representative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Because Tales is one of the last major JRPG series not in Smash and seeing it join a crossover with Persona, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Earthbound, etc. would be a dream come true for many of us. Lloyd is just assumed to be the most likely because of his Mii Costume in Smash 4 and the legacy of Symphonia on the Gamecube.

Also Smash Flash.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Lloyd = Eight
Yuri = Erdrick / Cloud
Velvet = Luminary / Noctis
Cress = The Descendant / Warrior of Light
Stahn = Tidus
Leon = Madason
Barbatos = Sephiroth
Richard = Lightning

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Lloyd = Eight
Yuri = Erdrick / Cloud
Stahn = Tidus
Leon = Madason
Barbatos = Sephiroth
Richard = Lightning
Where does Ludger fit in? He did just get super high on the popularity poll, and I can't lie TOX2 is my favorite easily.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Lloyd = Eight
Yuri = Erdrick / Cloud
Velvet = Luminary
Stahn = Tidus
Leon = Madason

Barbatos = Sephiroth
Richard = Lightning
Noooooooo........not even close with those 3.
-Stahn is Cecil. Leon is Kain.
-Barbatos is not Sephiroth. Dhaos is Sephiroth, as not only does Dhaos have the pretty boy look, Dhaos has a signature attack alongside a "Big Bang/Supernova" attack, is the most popular Tales villain non-meme wise and is also voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa, Sephiroth's voice actor.
-Barbatos would be Gilgamesh/Seifer/any popular Final Fantasy Henchman character, but mostly Gilgamesh as Barbatos is also popular, but more due to meme popularity due to "No Items Ever" and being voiced by Norio Wakamoto.
-Also, I think Milla Maxwell would be Lightning, not Richard.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Lloyd = Eight
Yuri = Erdrick / Cloud
Stahn = Tidus
Leon = Madason
Barbatos = Sephiroth
Richard = Lightning
I'd switch Barbatos with Zaveid. He's Sephiroth if he worked out and got a tan.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I really feel like Steve and Master Chief could both happen Post Pass, I’m especially leaning towards Steve in smash.

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I’m still holding out hope for Phoenix. I don’t have much to base this off of, but I really think a Capcom slot will be taken by either Ace Attorney or Resident Evil, as a MH rep makes no sense this late into the game and Dante was soft-deconfirmed for the pass. While Leon or Jill might be the obvious choice, in a pass with Joker, Banjo, and Terry, I could definitely see Sakurai prioritizing the oddball nature of Phoenix in order to subvert our expectations.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

She's seemingly the closest the Persona franchise has ever had to a canonical love interest for the wild card users. And that's all I'll say on her character. I don't know if That can be considered a spoiler since it's just my personal opinion on her lol

As for Lloyd, he's one of the only 2 characters from the Brawl era of Smash speculation who isn't playable. Because he was the star of the JRPG that most GameCube owners had when the console was new.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Noooooooo........not even close with those 3.
-Stahn is Cecil. Leon is Kain.
-Barbatos is not Sephiroth. Dhaos is Sephiroth, as not only does Dhaos have the pretty boy look, Dhaos has a signature attack alongside a "Big Bang/Supernova" attack, is the most popular Tales villain non-meme wise and is also voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa, Sephiroth's voice actor.
-Barbatos would be Gilgamesh/Seifer/any popular Final Fantasy Henchman character, but mostly Gilgamesh as Barbatos is also popular, but more due to meme popularity due to "No Items Ever" and being voiced by Norio Wakamoto.
-Also, I think Milla Maxwell would be Lightning, not Richard.
Yeah, I can agree with Sephiroth and Dhaos, Barbatos and Gilgamesh. Even I see way more Barbatos requests tho.
I also get Cecil and Kain as Stahn and Leon but that's just story-wise. I would still see Leon as Madason equivalent since he is the one of banned characters in the popularity polls. And I see TOD's popularity similar to FFX or may be even FFVII.
Milla, Lighting, yeah. But Lighting-san, idk.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace

I always thought Yuri was the most popular Tales character in the Tales fandom. Maybe it has something to do Symphonia being a time Gamecube exclusive at its launch.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace

Ivander

Smash Legend
I always thought Yuri was the most popular Tales character in the Tales fandom. Maybe it has something to do Symphonia being a time Gamecube exclusive at its launch.
I'm more than certain that isn't the case, considering Tales of Vesperia was originally an Xbox 360 exclusive title at first, even in Japan, where Xbox 360 was next to non-existent. And yet despite being an Xbox 360 exclusive in Japan, Tales of Vesperia actually managed to sell out Xbox systems when it came out, as during the week when it was released, Xbox 360 systems were apparently "in shortage".

Not to mention both Symphonia and Vesperia eventually got Japan-exclusive Playstation ports with more content, with Tales of Symphonia coming to PS2 and Tales of Vesperia coming to PS3 than those taking a decade to come out in English until the Tales of Symphonia Collection for PS3 and Tales of Vesperia for PS4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Lloyd's popularity mostly comes from Smash fans because of how popular he was for Nintendo fans back in like 2007 due to Brawl speculation

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I looked it up and saw this poll from 2014 which ranked the best characters in the Tales Japanese fandom.

Yuri was not qualify due to winning the previous years one, while Loyd only got 9th place. Meanwhile Luke who just might be the most polarizing JRPG protagonist of all time got 2nd place.

https://kotaku.com/tales-fans-vote-for-their-favorite-characters-and-more-1584649278
Yeah he's whiny for the first half of the game, but second half of Abyss Luke is pure gold. A turnaround like that isn't seen much in video game narratives.

In regards to Lloyd speculation, I got a nice written piece about him in my signature v-below-v which y'all should read and like since it clears up some misconceptions about him and gives some good background on him.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Yeah he's whiny for the first half of the game, but second half of Abyss Luke is pure gold. A turnaround like that isn't seen much in video game narratives.

In regards to Lloyd speculation, I got a nice written piece about him in my signature v-below-v which y'all should read and like since it clears up some misconceptions about him and gives some good background on him.
One of the best parts about Luke is that you can easily tell who and who hasn't beaten Abyss depending on how they feel about him.

If they think he is annoying arrogant crybaby then they clearly have only played a small amount of Abyss.

If they think he is incredibly well written and developed character with a compelling arc who forges his own identity and mans up and becomes an hero by learning from his mistakes and how his relationship with Tear, Van, and most of all Ash changes him for the better.

D

Deleted member

One of the best parts about Luke is that you can easily tell who and who hasn't beaten Abyss depending on how they feel about him.

If they think he is annoying arrogant crybaby then they clearly have only played a small amount of Abyss.

If they think he is incredibly well written and developed character with a compelling arc who forges his own identity and mans up and becomes an hero by learning from his mistakes and how his relationship with Tear, Van, and most of all Ash changes him for the better.
Man, I really should have played past the part where Luke's team gets fed up with his **** and abandons him, shouldn't I?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom