• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I started it on 3DS and never finished. The game has been collecting dust on a shelf for like 5 years.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Companies participate;
Sun Star (stationaries)
Sugiko (construction company)
StylingLife (cosmetics)
Zoff (eyeglasses)
Taisho Seiyaku (pharmaceutical company)
Japan Patent Office (literally)
Lovegraph (photography)
SIE (gaming company)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Jesus this thread has been super slow today
We don't have a good output of news lately, and there has been a slew of interesting topics. Other than that, I kind of want to say kudos to all the people making all these forum games and such, because they're trying to keep this thread alive. Probably during the Game Awards (assuming we do get a reveal), or during teh vicinity of its schedule, we will have legitimate discussion going on. I recommend you trying different things. For one, I'm busy doing school projects.

Oh my god
Oh my god
They are open to smash bros
SACKBOY
SACKBOOOOOYYYYYY
Just imagine: any of those employees has been also working on a top-secret LittleBigPlanet sequel, and is also a part-time competitive Smash player. Don't bet on it, but imagine.

Plank08

Smash Lord
We don't have a good output of news lately, and there has been a slew of interesting topics. Other than that, I kind of want to say kudos to all the people making all these forum games and such, because they're trying to keep this thread alive. Probably during the Game Awards (assuming we do get a reveal), or during teh vicinity of its schedule, we will have legitimate discussion going on. I recommend you trying different things. For one, I'm busy doing school projects.

Just imagine: any of those employees has been also working on a top-secret LittleBigPlanet sequel, and is also a part-time competitive Smash player. Don't bet on it, but imagine.
My schedule in the weekend usually consists of me doing work and talk to friends and all that Jazz, and if nothings going on I go here or Disney +, this is kind of like my hobby of sorts

D

Deleted member

My schedule in the weekend usually consists of me doing work and talk to friends and all that Jazz, and if nothings going on I go here or Disney +, this is kind of like my hobby of sorts
That's honestly good for you.

I

SKX31

Smash Master
Companies participate;
Sun Star (stationaries)
Sugiko (construction company)
StylingLife (cosmetics)
Zoff (eyeglasses)
Taisho Seiyaku (pharmaceutical company)
Japan Patent Office (literally)
Lovegraph (photography)
SIE (gaming company)
Oh boy! I can't wait for my favorite Japan Patent Office character!

It's like he was made for Smash! :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

Oh boy! I can't wait for my favorite Japan Patent Office character!

It's like he was made for Smash! :4pacman:
No non-videogame characters in Smash, sorry. Never understodd why Pac-Man is the symbol of joke posts, honestly.

All these people(lined up) including me, waiting for some info. Bunch of geeks and nerds.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Someone asked me to bump the Cassandra support thread, so I did. I'm not here to argue about which Soul Calibur picks are better (so relax, Nightmare fans) or why other Bandai Namco reps make more sense or whatever. This is just about a potentially viable character I'd like to see and why. In retrospect, she's probably my most wanted Echo. Although this isn't a Sari-level essay or anything, this is still a lot to say about one character who'd be an Echo at best (or at least it felt like it; I type everything from a phone lol). Let's do this:

The great thing about Soul Calibur (and Tekken) is how many potential reps could have awesome Echoes. Nightmare has Sigfried. A poster boy like Mitsurugi has Arthur. Conversely, a poster girl like Taki has Natsu. Seong Mi-na and Kilik can work as Echoes of one another as well. And last but certainly not least, there's Sophitia and Cassandra. And boy howdy does Cassandra have a lot to bring to the table.

I'm not a Sophitia main (Seong Mi-na and Cass for life!), but I've talked about why she's likely to happen. And in order to get Cassandra, we need Sophitia. In order to fully appreciate Cassandra, you must know everything about her less interesting sister. So, first... allow me to explain why Sophitia is a viable candidate. Then I will explain why a Cassandra Echo would totally be the coolest thing ever! I'll put the Sophitia stuff in a spoiler tag. It's informative, so it's worth a read.

As we know, Soul Calibur is Siegfried's story, but other characters (Kilik/Sophitia/Xianghua/Ivy/Nightmare), have been given huge roles at times, and/or are heavily promoted (Mitsurugi/Taki/Sophitia). However, I could easily see Sophitia Alexandra getting in. Sophitia has a lot going for her in and out of her home series. She's a poster girl used in promotional material, she's popular, she's both an antagonist and protagonist, she's appeared in crossovers, she's the developer's go-to moveset like Ryu is for his series, etc. She's relevant enough to have two kids and her sister in the games; the former being the central characters of their game, and the latter representing the only physical connection to the old timeline (i.e. everything before the Soul Calibur 6 reboot). She's a well-intentioned extremist, and it's fitting that her likeness was used to portray the physical manifestation of Soul Calibur itself. The titular blade represents absolute order at all costs, which is Sophitia in a nutshell. Sophitia was one of the few to defeat Soul Edge (with some help from Taki) in canon. She's heavily featured in merchandising. Several reveal trailers use Sophitia's home stages and themes. For example, remember the reveal trailer and gameplay showcase trailers for Soul Calibur 6?

Being the wandering swordsman seeking strength type, I can see Mitsurugi getting in; dude is like Soul Calibur's equivalent to Ryu in that regard. However, gameplay-wise, Sophitia fills that role; throughout the series, we've had 4 different characters with movesets based off of her (Cassandra, Lizardman, Pat, and Pyrrha) and one that was planned but scrapped: Azola (who later made an appearance in SC4). Heck, even the Charades in Namco x Capcom had her moveset.

Time for the main attraction.

With that outta the way, let's move on to Cassandra (yay). Like Jin from Tekken, Cass was meant to be a legacy character that replaced her predecessor. However, like Kazuya Mishima, Sophitia was irreplaceable. Instead, we ended up with an additional sword and shield wielder in the series, and one of the best sibling duos in any fighting game series ever. In Soul Calibur, the Alexandra sisters can only fight against each other (at least simultaneously; I know KoF style Team Battles used to be a thing lol), but if we got them in Smash, people can do team matches with them for the first time in history. That's lowkey a dream of mine, fighting with my sister in Smash using sisters (and two we actually main and cherish, too!). I might post a video of our Cassandra vs. Sophitia matches because it's hilarious, especially because my little sister randomly smack talks in-character. Not only that, we've played the match-up so many times throughout the years, and understand the characters so well, we tend to Double-KO more often than not. There's a lot of clashing and hitting at the same time and stuff; it's intense. I can read Sophitia - and my actual sister - like an open book. The only way for a surefire win is resorting to childish mindgames like cracking jokes. As my sister puts it "it gets meta". I'm convinced Sophitia is petty and smug like my sister (even Sophitia's son inherited those traits), and each loss for them is a fun lesson in humility. That matchup feels like there's more at stake. And there is! Even when we're quiet and in the zone, the Alexandra sisters still have special interactions before, during, and after the match.

Cassandra is less disciplined in her fighting style and personality. She's sassy and precocious. She's a go-getter. Some of her insults are abnormally futuristic for her time, as well as her design. Cassandra has more of a rushdown playstyle. She doesn't care about strategy: she's all impulse. She's less telegraphed and she's more unpredictable. She is the Ken to Sophitia's Ryu. Naturally, she has her own fans because despite her superficial similarities to Soph; Cassandra is her own flavor of awesomeness. She's very girly and absurdly powerful. I mean... she literally destroyed Soul Calibur with her bare hands.

If they give Cassandra different grabs, animations, taunts, and make her a physically stronger and more aggressive at a cost, they can easily make her work with little adjustments. Even though she plays absolutely nothing like Sophitia nowadays, she started off as a clone. Ideally, Sophitia would borrow some of Cassandra's unique attacks (they're sisters; they can share!) because Cassandra is way more fun to use. For example, Cassandra throws her shield around like a discus, she rides on it like a sled, she uses it to B-word slap you a bunch of times in the face, and she attaches it to various parts of her body to bash people with it. There's a reason a ton of people dress her up like Captain America online: she gets VERY creative with that shield. Cassandra also has more wind, fire, and lightning based attacks. And so on. So yeah... if we get Sophitia, here's hoping that she actually borrows moves from Cassandra.

Moreover, Sophitia and Cassandra's story is a tragic tale that better illustrates the struggle between order and chaos than Nightmare and Sigfried, IMO, because it blurred lines, crossed others, and redefined good versus evil. Every action they took had a lingering consequence each game that eventually ended up transcending time and space! It showed the extreme lengths the two would go to protect loved ones. Magical swords and gods couldn't tell Cassandra what to do.

Cassandra is a woman who survived living in the Shadow Realm for an immeasurable amount of time until it nearly drove her mad, but what kept her going was sheer willpower and her love for her family. And in the end, the only thing powerful enough to stop Cassandra... was herself.

Fun fact: Cassandra's inclusion would double as a Valkyrie reference because she has donned the outfit before and she continues to wield her weapons even now.

Cassandra is also the main character in a mobile game spinoff:

Also, keep in mind that Cassandra is popular enough to be DLC in her home series (and one of the most popular Soul Calibur characters in general). Moreover, she's the only character from the original timeline who also made a physical appearance in the new reboot. She's extremely relevant to the plot now and is used as a bridge to every Soul Calibur game past and present. Cassandra is one of the few characters with knowledge to change the course of the entire series. She's also the dev's go-to character for comedy relief. For instance, Cassandra has the most joke weapons in the series, her bio has a running gag involving her (and Sophitia's) weight, and she was used to promote Soul Calibur 4 in this cutesy manga. And if that (uncanon) manga, her in-game special intro with Hilde, and Broken Destiny shenanigans is anything to go by, Cassandra is also an LGBT rep. More positive representation never hurts, right?

Tl;dr: I want her in Smash. She's a solid Bandai Namco rep who'd be paired with another one from an equally solid fighting game franchise. She can work as an Echo, and since she's radically different from Soph, she'd feel like her own thing akin to Ken/Ryu but way better.

I enjoy literally everything about her. Her personality. Her story. Her dialogue. How creative her moveset is. Her silliness. Her casual superhuman strength. Her rushdown playstyle. Her jumpy idle animation that brilliantly shows that pep in her step. Ev-ery-thing!

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Also, there’s something else in Sackboys favor too that I think no one else knows about, not a confirmation or anything but it’s something to take note of:
One day on YouTube I found this fan made remix of Left bank two, this was before hero was out by the way, and I liked the video, but it had virtually no views.
Like a week later I come back and the entire channel got terminated, which was strange to me, as the channel was completely harmless.
I might be looking to deep into things, but considering how this all happened after the video is just interesting to me, but I wouldn’t put to much bank into this.

D

Deleted member

Also, there’s something else in Sackboys favor too that I think no one else knows about, not a confirmation or anything but it’s something to take note of:
One day on YouTube I found this fan made remix of Left bank two, this was before hero was out by the way, and I liked the video, but it had virtually no views.
Like a week later I come back and the entire channel got terminated, which was strange to me, as the channel was completely harmless.
I might be looking to deep into things, but considering how this all happened after the video is just interesting to me, but I wouldn’t put to much bank into this.
Anyone could have honestly taken down the video. Don't always expect Nintendo pulling the strings. Maybe Sony was just saving if for a potential new game.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Ok, so another piece of evidence for a potential Sony rep(or Master Chief I suppose) just resurfaced. King Zell, who has correctly guessed direct dates, details about Pokemon Go when it was in development, last year's Animal Crossing reveal, and potentially BotW 2 said this back in March

https://nintendosoup.com/rumor-king-zell-hints-at-impossible-switch-announcement/

Aka, the Mario on Playstation leak. Before anyone says it, no, he isn't saying Super Mario to Playstation. For those who aren't going to click the link, this is what King Zell said

"some stuff coming to the Switch ‘at least one’ … i mean … it wasn’t even possible years ago, cant wait to see the reaction here. "
And
"It wasnt possible, like seeing Mario in a PlayStation console."

I don't know and can't find the context on these comments, but it seems like he's been right about stuff recently and nothing has happened to say he's full of **** yet. And while it could be something else, Master Chief or a Sony character getting in to Smash would for sure fit the bill. If I had to guess I would say it's not Smash related though and it's the rumored Master Chief collection coming to the Switch

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Ok, so another piece of evidence for a potential Sony rep(or Master Chief I suppose) just resurfaced. King Zell, who has correctly guessed direct dates, details about Pokemon Go when it was in development, last year's Animal Crossing reveal, and potentially BotW 2 said this back in March

https://nintendosoup.com/rumor-king-zell-hints-at-impossible-switch-announcement/

Aka, the Mario on Playstation leak. Before anyone says it, no, he isn't saying Super Mario to Playstation. For those who aren't going to click the link, this is what King Zell said

"some stuff coming to the Switch ‘at least one’ … i mean … it wasn’t even possible years ago, cant wait to see the reaction here. "
And

I don't know and can't find the context on these comments, but it seems like he's been right about stuff recently and nothing has happened to say he's full of **** yet. And while it could be something else, Master Chief or a Sony character getting in to Smash would for sure fit the bill. If I had to guess I would say it's not Smash related though and it's the rumored Master Chief collection coming to the Switch
He said that before the Cuphead and Ori ports were announced I believe, there was a good chance he was talking about those.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People going unga bunga on their brains because they saw Sony and Smash in the same sentence?

While :ultjoker: may not be a complete PS exclusive, the specific game he represents in Smash is still a PS exclusive. I don't find it unprecedented that Sony would be supporting Smash Bros., nor do I think people should automatically go dumb dumb and scream "sony inn smash!!" without considering the possibility that perhaps that isn't what it means at all.

Plank08

Smash Lord

And

Either way im excited

SKX31

Smash Master
People going unga bunga on their brains because they saw Sony and Smash in the same sentence?

While :ultjoker: may not be a complete PS exclusive, the specific game he represents in Smash is still a PS exclusive. I don't find it unprecedented that Sony would be supporting Smash Bros., nor do I think people should automatically go dumb dumb and scream "sony inn smash!!" without considering the possibility that perhaps that isn't what it means at all.
Sheer inertia. The fact that "Nintendo and Sony are irrevocably rivals to each other" has been a fact of life for the last 25 or so years. Longer than a lot of people here have been alive. People in Sony like Ken Kutaragi (one of the main people behind the PS1) had ample reason to hate Nintendo, because Nintendo went back on the SNES CD-ROM / Nintendo PlayStation deal and instead approached Phillips behind closed doors.

So seeing a Sony character in a Nintendo game would be mind-blowing, even if things have cooled since.

And in a more minor update:

I think we'll see by Friday if they'll post about SMW2 or 64. They could also post about 64 next week if they do SMW2 by Friday. Either way, they are certainly building momentum. I'll take that as a segue into a piece of weird Nintendo history: The iQue player, a portable N64 released in 2003 as a way for Nintendo (in a joint venture) to circumvent the then-active console ban in China. The tweet goes to mention its capabilities:

- Priced at RMB 498 (around $71)
- Console built into the controller
- Games stored on 64MB flash card that plugs into the controller.
- Games could be downloaded from the iQue Depot.
- 14 N64 games officially released.
- China only.

The games released for the player were:

Wave Race 64
Star Fox 64
Dr. Mario 64 (game included with its memory card)
Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Mario Kart 64
F-Zero X
Yoshi's Story
Paper Mario
Sin and Punishment (Yea, really, this game got a Chinese release before its Virtual Console debut. Huh.)
Excitebike 64
Smash 64
Custom Robo
Animal Crossing

Majora's Mask was going to be included, but was cancelled.

Although the iQue was evidently not successful; it could still serve as a very interesting blueprint for N64 games being released digitally / appearing on NSO. This because the iQue essentially emulated the games, although there are some differences from the cartridge originals (like bugfixes). iQue (the company) also released Chinese versions of GBA, DS and 3DS. Nowadays, iQue (again, the company) is a subsidiary of Nintendo's and is transitioning to becoming a developer.

(Very late edit: Last comment in the chain for reference)

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sheer inertia. The fact that "Nintendo and Sony are irrevocably rivals to each other" has been a fact of life for the last 25 or so years. Longer than a lot of people here have been alive. People in Sony like Ken Kutaragi (one of the main people behind the PS1) had ample reason to hate Nintendo, because Nintendo went back on the SNES CD-ROM / Nintendo PlayStation deal and instead approached Phillips behind closed doors.

So seeing a Sony character in a Nintendo game would be mind-blowing, even if things have cooled since.
I agree.

However, we shouldn't immediately be dogs clawing at the door like someone's home, that someone being a Sony character. All we know is that Sony is collaborating in the efforts amongst other companies. It just so happens that Sony stands out from the crowd of other companies us western folk have never heard of, probably because they haven't left their home country.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
The fact that "Nintendo and Sony are irrevocably rivals to each other" has been a fact of life for the last 25 or so years. Longer than a lot of people here have been alive.
Ngl, that's the first comment I've read that made me feel young for once.

Goddamn. Three words and a photo would have won them over, betch.

Suprised. Pikachu. Face.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
TGA just basically hinted at another Smash reveal. I think it will be Crash.
"But Crash is disconfirmed for Fighter 5," you say?
I agree. I think we'll get a Nintendo Direct soon due to the blue dot on the Smash YouTube page. That will reveal Fighter 5. And Crash will open up Pass 2. With a Coco Echo.

D

Deleted member

TGA just basically hinted at another Smash reveal. I think it will be Crash.
"But Crash is disconfirmed for Fighter 5," you say?
I agree. I think we'll get a Nintendo Direct soon due to the blue dot on the Smash YouTube page. That will reveal Fighter 5. And Crash will open up Pass 2. With a Coco Echo.
Crash...would be okay to open up Pass 2, though he has to deal with Reimu and Hayabusa, all pending.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
that's just insulting considering the **** he's gone through :nifty:
Doom Slayer is literally my most wanted after Crash.
I also think the Mii Costume leak has at least a 50% chance of being real. Even the modding community hasn't been able to produce high quality models for Mii hats.
Not to mention that the Mallow hat is basically confirmed by the guy that leaked the Goemon and Team Rocket Mii outfits.
Though I guess the models in the video could be low quality hidden by the blur. But given the fact that you'd have to sneak in filming a video by your supervisor, high quality is a luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom