• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Watch that Monokuma & Junko is announced as FP5 at the VGA.

No one would had seen that coming.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Unless the Retro project ends up being resurrected, I'd kind of prefer we remain in the dark about it. If it turns out something I really would have loved seeing (EG: Eternal Darkness 2) got scrapped for Prime 4, that will just make me bitter towards the game, despite my affinity toward Metroid...

So if the Tweet is anything to go by who'd be as surprising if not more then:ultjoker:?

Not counting an Sony rep.
Frankly, any off-the-wall candidate would be as surprising in a general sense. ToeJam and Earl, Gex, Stubbs the Zombie, whatever...

They can't really replicate the specifics since the 'surprise' was primarily that they weren't sticking to the usual suspects, nor were they looking only at reps with strong ties to Nintendo. The cat is already out of the bag now, with pretty much anything being considered a possibility, so the only thing they could do that would be truly shocking is to break 'the one rule', and that's a dangerous game.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
So if the Tweet is anything to go by who'd be as surprising if not more then:ultjoker:?

Not counting an Sony rep.
Anything by Valve. No matter which character it is. Gordon is one of those very few "internet-breaker" characters if revealed, and TF2, Chell and anything Dota 2 come close because of just how damned unexpected they would be. Yes I'm counting TF2 because they've been far from Valve's list of priorities the last 5-ish years.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Remember we're only guaranteed a Nintendo announcement of some kind.

It could be Metroid Prime 4, it could be Super Mario Odyssey 2, it could be more details on the BotW Sequel, it could be pass character no. 5, or it could be Nintendogs + Cats + Budgerigars.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Remember we're only guaranteed a Nintendo announcement of some kind.

It could be Metroid Prime 4, it could be Super Mario Odyssey 2, it could be more details on the BotW Sequel, it could be pass character no. 5, or it could be Nintendogs + Cats + Budgerigars.
It will probably be a new trailer for BotW2. It's coming out next year, unless the rumored delay is true.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Unless the Retro project ends up being resurrected, I'd kind of prefer we remain in the dark about it. If it turns out something I really would have loved seeing (EG: Eternal Darkness 2) got scrapped for Prime 4, that will just make me bitter towards the game, despite my affinity toward Metroid...

Frankly, any off-the-wall candidate would be as surprising in a general sense. ToeJam and Earl, Gex, Stubbs the Zombie, whatever...

They can't really replicate the specifics since the 'surprise' was primarily that they weren't sticking to the usual suspects, nor were they looking only at reps with strong ties to Nintendo. The cat is already out of the bag now, with pretty much anything being considered a possibility, so the only thing they could do that would be truly shocking is to break 'the one rule', and that's a dangerous game.
Well there was that Eternal Darkness spiritual successor, Shadow of the Eternals, but it got canned unfortunately

if it was an F-Zero game tho... I’d be freakin crushed my dude I’d be crying for 500 years

we were on the verge of greatness. We were THIS CLOSE!

D

Deleted member

Good morning everyone, again.

Well there was that Eternal Darkness spiritual successor, Shadow of the Eternals, but it got canned unfortunately

if it was an F-Zero game tho... I’d be freakin crushed my dude I’d be crying for 500 years

we were on the verge of greatness. We were THIS CLOSE!
**** yes. Nintendo's basically treating F-Zero like Capcom treats Darkstalkers. New game or bust.

Not a date, per se. It has a 2020 launch window.
It did say up until February 2020, and it's not too far away.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't need an F-Zero game. I just need more F-Zero content in Mario Kart.

Or better yet, Smash Karts.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Alright guys I cracked the code, TGA might have proper security in place for people like Joker, but that just means that FP5 will have to infiltrate through a different means, like teleportation. Get prepared for a localized resonance cascade!

resonancecascade.jpg

Jokes aside, while I think it's entirely possible that Nintendo might reveal FP5 fighter at TGA, I also think that the @thegameawards tweet should be taken with a grain of salt.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So if it is a Tales of person will it be the fan favorite Lloyd like Final Fantasy got Cloud or will it be the one from the newset or the up and coming Tales of game?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So if it is a Tales of person will it be the fan favorite Lloyd like Final Fantasy got Cloud or will it be the one from the newset or the up and coming Tales of game?
If it's somehow Alphen/Shionne, I just want to see the complete salt waterfall in the Smash bubble.

But ironically it would fit well with being the opposite of Pac-Man. A modern realistic character and the first rep of the 2020s contrasting the cartoony Pac-Man who is among the oldest characters in Smash at the 1980s.

Ivander

Smash Legend
It's between:
-Lloyd, one of the more well-known Tales characters among Nintendo fans, one of the more popular characters and the main protagonist of Tales of Symphonia, the Tales game that actually got the West's attention.
-Yuri, The Most Popular Tales character of all time who eventually got banned from character polls(and put into the Tales Hall of Fame) and the main protagonist of Tales of Vesperia, which eventually came to the Switch and introduced the recurring gameplay mechanic Overlimit.
-Or Velvet from the latest main series Tales game, Tales of Beseria. That said, she has a very risque design.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
My money's on Lloyd quite a bit of people want him including myself

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78164123?jumpto=41#41
Vergeben talked about the Tales of series in gamefaqs smash thread and several people speculated that Vegeben has info about a Tales of character being FP5 but that probably means nothing.
This seems like a pretty disconnected comment from Smash. Verge is usually pretty upfront about providing what info he does and does not have. He's not the type to play the hint game like Sabi.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I mean, Sakurai has repeatedly stated he doesn't think that's important
I mean, if the newest Tales characters become massively popular, maybe they could get into a future game, but as of now, if Xenoblade 2 and ARMS characters couldn't get in I doubt a character from an unreleased game could. PlayStation associated characters like Joker got in after at least a couple years of being massively popular.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78164123?jumpto=41#41
Vergeben talked about the Tales of series in gamefaqs smash thread and several people speculated that Vegeben has info about a Tales of character being FP5 but that probably means nothing.
I mean, it's just a comment. Nothing much of interest there, except just....Verge talking about what he likes. People really jump to conclusions there. As much as Verge is the Word, not everything has to be about Smash.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Hmmmm, what could this mean?
That right there was an awesome moment because it caught everyone off guard. Very few thought Joker would get in because the Persona games are mostly on Playstation consoles (the Q games are the exceptions).

Does this mean we'll get a reveal of the next character at The Game Awards? Possibly. I'm sticking with my prediction of a character reveal during that time, but this doesn't really guarantee anything.
He's simply commenting about the Tales series, so there really isn't any hinting in that comment.

D

Deleted member

Does this mean we'll get a reveal of the next character at The Game Awards? Possibly. I'm sticking with my prediction of a character reveal during that time, but this doesn't really guarantee anything.
People don't exactlt fall for the same tricks twice.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, if the newest Tales characters become massively popular, maybe they could get into a future game, but as of now, if Xenoblade 2 and ARMS characters couldn't get in I doubt a character from an unreleased game could. Characters like Joker got in after at least a couple years of being massively popular.
That and Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI are before the “cutoff date” that Spring Man and Rex couldn’t meet, which is like mid- 2017 I’d say. Also, I’d imagine translating their fighting styles into Smash as fully playable would be difficult (Rex switching Blades would be more difficult than PT switching Pokemon probably, and Spring Man’s grab range would probably be too OP) so that’s why they’re an AT and Mii Costume respectively. Imo it doesn’t bode well for 3H or Astral Chain either unless a miracle happens, though that might be easy for say Byleth since 3H is massively popular

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Can't even see how a "the series boils down to be mediocre" comment can become some sort of tease.

And now that I brought that up, I'm just left wondering how many Tales games are actually acclaimed. So far, only Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia seem to get any praise. I know of people who love Berseria's cast, but not the game itself.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, if the newest Tales characters become massively popular, maybe they could get into a future game, but as of now, if Xenoblade 2 and ARMS characters couldn't get in I doubt a character from an unreleased game could. Characters like Joker got in after at least a couple years of being massively popular.
Ok but my point was that not being on Nintendo wouldn't be an issue since Brawl with MGS4 getting advertised and referenced in Brawl

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Can't even see how a "the series boils down to be mediocre" comment can become some sort of tease.

And now that I brought that up, I'm just left wondering how many Tales games are actually acclaimed. So far, only Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia seem to get any praise. I know of people who love Berseria's cast, but not the game itself.
This is kinda ironic as most Tales fans I've talked to say Symphonia's aged poorly
That's that then.

Lloyd is our FP5.

Move along folks.
He's just saying he likes Tales, he doesn't mention Smash nor does he even specify Lloyd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom