• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't regret not watching the VGAs last year even if it meant I missed Joker's reveal live. If you want a good video game awards show that respects every part of the video game development process, and doesn't double as a commercial for upcoming games, I suggest watching BAFTA.

D

Deleted member

I can't stomach watching the VGAs. It's such a boring ****fest. I tend to Watch Maximilian Dood's stream because at least him and his group are entertaining to watch.
I feel you, but my nerd friends are going to be watching VGAs. If I'm gonna check to see if there's a fighter, might as well do it with them instead of not at all

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Notice you're not getting any likes on these posts.
Not that I entirely agree with them, but this forum definitely does not reflect the sensibilities, tastes, desires, or reactions of the general smash community. Getting likes on here says nothing about what the majority actually wants.

The majority wants Goku (/s).

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
After reading into the history of Nintendo I didn’t realize how much of its success or start was contributed towards Disney . Sounds like the company was able to go public largely because of their collaboration with Disney.

If Sora does make the cut, I really hope that they go into detail with this. Maybe show off some of those old playing cards.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
On that Super Smash Bros Channel update:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

The last one was on October 27th. The Terry video became public on November 6th. So a week and a half later. That would mean that this video would air around November 21st, if it took just as long to air after upload. That is if they follow the same schedule.

November 21st is Nintendo Day. Both Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U launched on 11/21 in Japan. Other games to launch on this day in Japan include titles such as Super Mario World, Super Mario 3D World, F-Zero, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Yoshi's Cookie, Pokémon Gold and Silver, Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, Pokémon Colosseum, Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Sin & Punishment, Animal Crossing amiibo Festival, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, and possibly more. The Super Famicom also launched on this day. In North America, a few of these games launched either on that day or on the day later as international releases, including Super Smash Bros For Wii U. The release of Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Mario 64 DS, Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, and the Nintendo DS itself all launched on this day.

I believe Polygon covered on this day.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/21/16685300/nintendo-biggest-best-release-date-games

Welp see now we wait in a week in a halfish

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I feel you, but my nerd friends are going to be watching VGAs. If I'm gonna check to see if there's a fighter, might as well do it with them instead of not at all
In a group, even the most boring shows/movies can be fun. That's why I watch Max's stream during the VGAs because they tend to make fun of it.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to argue that point when Bayonetta's on the Roster. Hell, KOS-MOS' series was more successful than Bayo's ever was and Bayonetta would have been a scrapped franchise if Nintendo didn't step up to the plate and give it a 2nd chance.

You can't really argue that KOS-MOS means nothing to Sakurai when you don't even know. He's a huge Xenoblade fan and considering the walking encyclopedia that he is, I'm certain He's enjoyed Xenosaga as well.

Sakurai is pretty open about what influences him and he’s wrote ALOT, I’ve never seen him talk about Xenosaga so I don’t think it’s had much of an impact on him. Sorry that’s just the reality.

It’s also the reality that he made Lloyd and heihachi mii costumes cause they are bigger Namco Bandai characters, they are also more important series to Namco Bandai the company , series that Namco Bandai would obviously prefer advertised.

As far as bayonetta idk what kind of mental gymnastics you’re going for but that’s a false equivalencey, sakurai said she was the number one pick in Europe for the ballot, also said she was top 10 in the US for the ballot. This was right around the time of her becoming exclusive to Nintendo, fresh and relevant in people’s minds.

Secondly Nintendo had a vested interest in promoting bayonetta as she had pretty much just became a console exclusive.

Thirdly, Xenosaga failed as a series. This was openly talked about from the creator, that’s why they went on to make Xenoblade instead. Idk where you’re getting these figures like they beat bayonetta sales? Bayonetta 1 sold 1.35 million copies in a year according to wiki and platinum reported it as their best selling game.

Xenosaga episode 1 wiki says sales were over a million in its life time? That doesn’t sound better than bayonetta.

It then states that Xenosaga episode 2 didn’t release sales numbers but barely reached 50% of projected sales that Namco Bandai expected.

Please no.
Lol, Reimu a "literal who" in Japan?

Notice you're not getting any likes on these posts.
TGAs are a western event? Who was talking about japan here? Secondly yeah touhou is nowhere near as big as DQ, it would be more niche there, and even more niche here. Making it the most niche character in the game. Making it a literal who at the game awards.

Oh no, no likes from the 5 fan boys in this sub who don’t like to look at things rationally. I must be wrong. LOL.

First people do like my posts, look at the one where I just said most people would dislike that timeline. Secondly this sub is not an accurate gauge of anything.

There is a problem among a few in this sub, who want certain characters so bad they will do away with rationality, as long as it fits their views about their character, they want their character to be in smash so bad that maybe more people would get exposed and like that character. It’s not based in reality.

There’s no quicker way to kill hype for smash dlc than doing kosmos then Reimu. I would bet my house those two aren’t coming. If you want to put your money where your mouth is.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Ok, I know next to nothing about kos-mo. Can a fan of the character please tell me why she would be picked over any other character in the Xeno series, especially over Elma or Rex? From what I get shes a side character that has appeared in a lot of the Xeno games, but is mostly either a side character or cameo. Why her? Does she have some badass moveset potential or something im not seeing?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
You're right on the sales. My recollection of Bayo sales seems to be incorrect, or 100% based on the JP sales.

Ok, I know next to nothing about kos-mo. Can a fan of the character please tell me why she would be picked over any other character in the Xeno series, especially over Elma or Rex? From what I get shes a side character that has appeared in a lot of the Xeno games, but is mostly either a side character or cameo. Why her? Does she have some badass moveset potential or something im not seeing?
Side character is absolutely an incorrect interpretation of her involvement in Xenosaga. To put it simply, She is to Xenosaga what Saber is to Fate. She's a major character and basically the face of the franchise.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sakurai is pretty open about what influences him and he’s wrote ALOT, I’ve never seen him talk about Xenosaga so I don’t think it’s had much of an impact on him. Sorry that’s just the reality.

It’s also the reality that he made Lloyd and heihachi mii costumes cause they are bigger Namco Bandai characters, they are also more important series to Namco Bandai the company , series that Namco Bandai would obviously prefer advertised.

As far as bayonetta idk what kind of mental gymnastics you’re going for but that’s a false equivalencey, sakurai said she was the number one pick in Europe for the ballot, also said she was top 10 in the US for the ballot. This was right around the time of her becoming exclusive to Nintendo, fresh and relevant in people’s minds.

Secondly Nintendo had a vested interest in promoting bayonetta as she had pretty much just became a console exclusive.

Thirdly, Xenosaga failed as a series. This was openly talked about from the creator, that’s why they went on to make Xenoblade instead. Idk where you’re getting these figures like they beat bayonetta sales? Bayonetta 1 sold 1.35 million copies in a year according to wiki and platinum reported it as their best selling game.

Xenosaga episode 1 wiki says sales were over a million in its life time? That doesn’t sound better than bayonetta.

It then states that Xenosaga episode 2 didn’t release sales numbers but barely reached 50% of projected sales that Namco Bandai expected.

TGAs are a western event? Who was talking about japan here? Secondly yeah touhou is nowhere near as big as DQ, it would be more niche there, and even more niche here. Making it the most niche character in the game. Making it a literal who at the game awards.

Oh no, no likes from the 5 fan boys in this sub who don’t like to look at things rationally. I must be wrong. LOL.

First people do like my posts, look at the one where I just said most people would dislike that timeline. Secondly this sub is not an accurate gauge of anything.

There is a problem among a few in this sub, who want certain characters so bad they will do away with rationality, as long as it fits their views about their character, they want their character to be in smash so bad that maybe more people would get exposed and like that character. It’s not based in reality.

There’s no quicker way to kill hype for smash dlc than doing kosmos then Reimu. I would bet my house those two aren’t coming. If you want to put your money where your mouth is.
I agree with you about KOS-MOS, but I think you're underestimating how recognizable Touhou is. While Reimu herself is probably an unknown and the actual Touhou fanbase outside Japan is small and hardcore, it's still a game that I think most people online have been exposed to, even if they aren't aware of it.

What I mean is, while people may not recognize Touhou the brand, they probably would know "that bullet hell game", it's really a huge deal imo.

(Even if they didn't I think Touhou's influence more than makes up for any obscurity but that's not the point I'm making)

Droodle

Smash Lord
The biggest reason is that she's still considered a mascot of Monolith-Soft, even though they don't own her. She was front and center for their 20th anniversary artwork at the beginning of October. And yes she does have a ton of moveset potential.

I still think that Yuri has a better chance in getting in over her as the Bamco rep, though. But who know's maybe we'll get both.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Thing about leaks is that you never know when to expect them. Even worse, you never know when to expect a trustworthy leak.
Yep, chances are the character has already leaked on some obscure 4chan post that no one believed. That said, I'm expecting the actual reveal to be in 2-3 weeks, and usually insiders have that information 1-3 days beforehand.

D

Deleted member

Yep, chances are the character has already leaked on some obscure 4chan post that no one believed. That said, I'm expecting the actual reveal to be in 2-3 weeks, and usually insiders have that information 1-3 days beforehand.
With the exception of Erdrick, Nintendo has been on the ball with not having fighters leaked until like, 2-3 days before reveal.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you about KOS-MOS, but I think you're underestimating how recognizable Touhou is. While Reimu herself is probably an unknown and the actual Touhou fanbase outside Japan is small and hardcore, it's still a game that I think most people online have been exposed to, even if they aren't aware of it.

What I mean is, while people may not recognize Touhou the brand, they probably would know "that bullet hell game", it's really a huge deal imo.

(Even if they didn't I think Touhou's influence more than makes up for any obscurity but that's not the point I'm making)
Only reason why I wouldn’t want Reimu is because her moveset would be based on bullethell games and would therefore be...well, hellish to fight against. Could you imagine all those projectiles?

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Only reason why I wouldn’t want Reimu is because her moveset would be based on bullethell games and would therefore be...well, hellish to fight against. Can you imagine all those projectiles?
Odds are she'd outspam even Simon by a considerable margin, which would be pretty horrifying. Best case, they make her good against other zoners but weaker against in-your-face characters somehow.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice

A really huge deal in comparison to what? That means nothing in a vacuum. We don’t even have an fps rep if you think every genre should have a rep. One of the biggest genres in gaming. Bullet hell are one of the smallest. It’s a niche fan base even in japan.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I want the next reveal to break the internet; and not in the way that hypes everyone. I want people to be like "but... WHY?!", just so I can enjoy the salt in all the Smash communities online. Something like Tetris block in Smash confirmed.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman

People thought Joker was the Joker from Batman.

Droodle

Smash Lord
A really huge deal in comparison to what? That means nothing in a vacuum. We don’t even have an fps rep if you think every genre should have a rep. One of the biggest genres in gaming. Bullet hell are one of the smallest. It’s a niche fan base even in japan.
I mean going back to your point that Sakurai doesn't like Xenosaga, therefore KOS-MOS isn't getting in Smash.

Sakurai has stated that bullet-hell is one of his favorite genres, therefore a bullet-hell representative would make complete sense.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It should be a week in a half

That’s how long after the previous private video was spotted before terry was revealed

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I mean going back to your point that Sakurai doesn't like Xenosaga, therefore KOS-MOS isn't getting in Smash.

Sakurai has stated that bullet-hell is one of his favorite genres, therefore a bullet-hell representative would make complete sense.
I think this is actually a fan misinterpretation of some old article that's gotten blown up through fanbase telephone, isn't it? Is there a quote on this? Anyways, generally speaking we don't ever get reps as representatives for an entire genre; they get in on their own merits.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I think this is actually a fan misinterpretation of some old article that's gotten blown up through fanbase telephone, isn't it? Is there a quote on this? Anyways, generally speaking we don't ever get reps as representatives for an entire genre; they get in on their own merits.
And Touhou definitely has it's own merits. Sure, it may be obscure here; but it is definitely popular in Japan.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Basically, KOS-MOS is one of the main characters in Xenosaga and she's the face of the franchise, as all 3 Xenosaga games have her on the cover art. Also, she's far from a side character as she plays a huge role in Xenosaga's story overall, especially in Xenosaga 3. Besides that, she's also part of the recurring "Robot" character within the Xeno series, as all Xeno games have an "Android/Cyborg" playable character. Not to mention Xenosaga Episode 1 was Monolith Soft's first game as an independent company and it was successful, so Xenosaga definitely has an important spot in Monolith's history.

And she does have alot of moveset potential:
-She can transform her limbs into different weapons, kinda like how Corrin can use their dragon powers to make spear-like attacks, so her arms and legs can become cannons, swords and whatnot.
-She can Materialise weapons out of nowhere to use for her attacks. I mean, one of her most used moves involves materialising frickin' Dual Gatling Guns. And I believe she also uses a giant laser gun and a giant spear(or at least, if she doesn't, then her Mecha Robot does IIRC) too.
-Her stomach can open up to pretty much fire a barrage of homing lasers at her foes.
-And next, like Elma, KOS-MOS also has a giant Mech Robot that she can materialise to pilot and use.

So in the gameplay department, KOS-MOS does have alot of moveset potential.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Only reason why I wouldn’t want Reimu is because her moveset would be based on bullethell games and would therefore be...well, hellish to fight against. Could you imagine all those projectiles?
Eh. A lot of my most wanted are either spellcasters or rangers, so I am for the projectiles.

She would most likely be heavily-inspired by the fighting games though which do tone it down somewhat.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice

I’ve never heard that, is there a link? I knew he played bullet hell games, the one he liked was gal force or gal way or something.

And when I asked about the importance in comparison it was because there are limited slots and many important characters.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think it's also based upon several other factors, A shoot em up (Gall Force) developed by HAL is apparently what inspired him to be a dev in the first place and seek out a Job at HAL. It would also explain Sakurai's fascination with shooting segments in all of his games. He's also gone on record saying he plays Danmaku Monday

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I’ve never heard that, is there a link? I knew he played bullet hell games, the one he liked was gal force or gal way or something.

And when I asked about the importance in comparison it was because there are limited slots and many important characters.
Yes there are many important characters, and there are also limited slots. In the end, not every important character will make it in.

There are dozens of more important characters than Joker, Banjo, and Terry. Banjo got in because the fans wanted him in; Joker because Sakurai considers Persona 5, one of his favorite games, and Terry because Sakurai likes the SNK games.

So in short, Sakurai is going to add in whoever he wants to add as long as the characters are somewhat recognizable. Reimu and KOS-MOS are definitely somewhat recognizable, so Sakurai can add them if he wants to.

Inb4 Reimu and KOS-MOS are obscure in the West. Yes they are, but so what? They are definitely both iconic in their own way, especially in Japan.

Edit: Personally, I think they both have their merits; and they would definitely make a good amount of sense. That said, they are by no means locks and I would completely understand why they couldn't get in.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Inb4 Reimu and KOS-MOS are obscure in the West. Yes they are, but so what? They are definitely both iconic in their own way, especially in Japan.
If we can get faces such as Ridley, Little Mac, and Banjo, Japan should get it's share of characters more favored over there. It's only fair, as long as they're not exclusive to that country or something.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
If we can get faces such as Ridley, Little Mac, and Banjo, Japan should get it's share of characters more favored over there. It's only fair, as long as they're not exclusive to that country or something.
Is that why most of the West weren't so......keen on :ulthero:joining the roster?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Hero.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The newcomers from SSB4 onwards have actually been overwhelmingly skewed to the West. I think Hero is the only newcomer from the past two games I'd genuinely consider a "JP-centric" character in terms of appeal, while there's been Ridley, K. Rool, Mac, Dark Samus, and Banjo all in the same timeframe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom