• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say if there is anything Smash, we'll find out about it at earliest two weeks from now when the launch hype and/or dumpster fire of Sword and Shield is dying down.

Randomly guessing the 26th

andree123

Smash Ace
Has anyone noticed why Gamexplain added Puyo Puyos to their recent Smash video?
Well, there is a tweet that ties with this with the Japanese box of SMRPG revealing a boxart of Puyo Puyo X tetris switch game, but this is a joke.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Fiora was also in Project X Zone 2 with Ryu, Ken, Chrom, Lucina, and KOS-MOS, and her form was the Mecha form too.

as for the
thing about Elma's true form... not a lot of people know about that (thank the Wii U bombing for that tbh). I'd say TF Elma is on the same level as Xenoblade 2's Blade Nia and Pneuma in terms of spoileriness
I would like to think so about Blade Nia and Pneuma, but fan artists seem to think otherwise, considering those 2 have been getting the works compared to TF Elma and Elma in general. Doesn't help that most of the posts of them I see on twitter seem to mention those 2 tactlessly without spoilering them.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I'd say if there is anything Smash, we'll find out about it at earliest two weeks from now when the launch hype and/or dumpster fire of Sword and Shield is dying down.
I wish I was excited about Sword and Shield. Maybe Im spoiled by Smash Ult, BotW, Odyssey, Tropical Freeze, Sonic Mania, DOOM, etc, but it looks like Game Freak didnt give a single f**k when developing this game

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Could be as soon as tonight, could be as far as two months. With these sorts of things it's best to just enjoy the ride, letting things happen when they do.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that thing's not getting past CERO.
It's interesting how when a character shows some skin people now instantly jump to the conclusion "CERO won't allow this." I think it's good to remember that Mai's issue was mostly that her whole character revolves around being sexy and distracting, and censoring her would kinda take away from this. I'm quite sure that most other characters with revealing outfits can be fairly easily tweaked by Sakurai, I imagine he's getting used to dealing with CERO's stingy requirements by now.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'd much rather have BLADE colonel Elma in Smash over her true form, tbh.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'd much rather have BLADE colonel Elma in Smash over her true form, tbh.

I mean, alternate costumes are never a bad thing. And considering how unknown TF Elma is, I don't think most people would care about TF Elma's look being censored.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wish I was excited about Sword and Shield. Maybe Im spoiled by Smash Ult, BotW, Odyssey, Tropical Freeze, Sonic Mania, DOOM, etc, but it looks like Game Freak didnt give a single f**k when developing this game
I wouldn't say there's no effort but it does seem that they're far outside of their comfort zone and too proud to admit it.

I can't imagine they took it well when they found Nintendo wasn't forcing a Halloween release for Luigi's Mansion 3 while TPC is breating down their necks.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
They would've announced another pass if one was coming IMO. To use an analogy, I really do think post-pass is gonna be like extra cherries on top rather than another full on cake.
Again, I disagree. All they said was that "more fighters are in development". They havent officially announced a second season yet but I do think it's coming. Chances are theyll announce it in December along with the final Season 1 character.

Smash Ultimate has sold better than any other game in the series history and it's making Nintendo a mint so I expect at least three full seasons of characters. Sakurai also said he wants as many as possible since there may never be an opportunity like this again.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Again, I disagree. All they said was that "more fighters are in development". They havent officially announced a second season yet but I do think it's coming. Chances are theyll announce it in December along with the final Season 1 character.

Smash Ultimate has sold better than any other game in the series history and it's making Nintendo a mint so I expect at least three full seasons of characters. Sakurai also said he wants as many as possible since there may never be an opportunity like this again.
I’d honestly be ok if they just keep porting this game to newer hardware when the time comes, the gameplay feels great and it really doesn’t need to be retooled unlike 4.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I’d honestly be ok if they just keep porting this game to newer hardware when the time comes, the gameplay feels great and it really doesn’t need to be retooled unlike 4.
That's, like, the exact same thing they said about Smash 4, lol.

PsychoJosh

I've been playing video games for 20 years and I'd literally never heard of Dragon Quest before the E3 reveal. It's extremely niche in the west.
It's true, despite all the fanboys that might be a little too over-expectant of the series popularity here, DQ's only ever been a niche title in the west. But in Japan it is a phenomenon and credited as being the definitive example of JRPGs. So let them have their day.

Personally I'm against the relevancy and popularity factors being the only deciding factors for whether a series gets in, so it'd be hypocritical of me to rail on DQ for not being popular here. I just hope we get more "unpopular"/"irrelevant" picks like we did in the Melee days.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Ezio w/ Altair, Brotherhood, and Revelations alts would be fuegoooo (and a Connor alt because hes the best designed assassin in the series)
I can barely tell some of them apart TBH, but Evie's design really stands out, IMO, while simultaneously utilizing key design elements from the series. It pops while actually looking stealthy at the same time. It's fancy, intricate, and layered without being too gaudy. It looks like she can quickly transform from a Victorian era dressed woman to an Assassin on the fly, which isn't easy to pull off. I'm sure the designers had fun making it, and it shows. Also, I like her boots lol.

And an honorary mention goes to my girl Aveline for pulling off that hat.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I really hope this isnt the case. Ultimate's gameplay feels like absolute crap to me and is by far the weakest thing about it. It's completely outdated and in desperate need of a revamp. Some of these characters are using their obsolete movesets from the N64 days and are extremely weak because of it.

I hate the people who defend keeping Smash like this because it honestly feels like theyve been making incremental adjustments to the exact same game for the past 18 years. Smash is in desperate need of an upgrade. New mechanics, new gameplay elements, new moves and techniques for old veteran characters should all be the first priority.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Whether or not the post-Pass DLC characters will come in another Fighters Pass, I think depends on how many there are. If it's 5 or more, I would bet on it being another Fighters Pass.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Ezio w/ Altair, Brotherhood, and Revelations alts would be fuegoooo (and a Connor alt because hes the best designed assassin in the series)
(and a Connor alt because hes the best designed assassin in the series)
Good taste, that's a massive W.

Honestly, Sakurai could go the extra mile for Ezio and make all of his colours turned into different costumes. Maybe throw in Edward, Jacob and Arno's costumes in for good measure.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Just the drunken cat one from 4chan, which isn't that credible, but has ironically gained more traction over time.
It is kinda funny though that nobody has disproven that leak and insiders haven't commented on it. Funny cause that leak says Hayabusa is post pass like verg said a few weeks ago and then today we have the source from Japan that told us the fighter pass did extremely well and we are getting a 2nd one.... which that leak also called Hayabusa and Reimu as post pass fighters... so more 3rd parties.... 1st pass sold well past expectations so there is no reason to assume it will be different in the 2nd pass.

Yeah it could be a piggybacker or it is the same person who got Banjo's codename right.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It is kinda funny though that nobody has disproven that leak and insiders haven't commented on it. Funny cause that leak says Hayabusa is post pass like verg said a few weeks ago and then today we have the source from Japan that told us the fighter pass did extremely well and we are getting a 2nd one.... which that leak also called Hayabusa and Reimu as post pass fighters... so more 3rd parties.... 1st pass sold well past expectations so there is no reason to assume it will be different in the 2nd pass.

Yeah it could be a piggybacker or it is the same person who got Banjo's codename right.
Ditto with Doujin rumor, though that one is even harder to disprove as that relies on Doujin circles and I don't think anyone has any connection to them.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So about the Arle thing: I said it on the RTC thread, but the creator of Parappa also didn't want him in a fighting game and he still made it to PSASBR, as one of the first reveals, even. Villager was also initially not considered for Smash in Brawl because AC is "a peaceful game".
Sakurai seems like he'd be more likely to honor a creator's wishes than Sony.

I personally love the juxtaposition of cute and mature characters together in smash, but some people and more importantly some companies might not. Anyway here's a relevant comic about harming cute characters in Smash bros.

It's Smash baby. It goes down like this.
1573521480909.png

At least Smash isn't made by GameFreak.
Smash 6 roster = SMexit

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

I love the cat one for the absurdity of it, but it's almost certainly fake. The odds of it being a legitimate leaker like the Plant/Ken/Incineroar guy versus it being an imitator are astronomically low.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Meanwhile, someone was trolling yesterday in Papageno's discord and made obviously fake mii costumes and spirit boards for Freddy Fazbear being DLC 5 and sent it to LaxChris, who them made a video on it. Yep.
I genuinely want Freddy in smash so that was cool
Repost from the Ultimate Social Thread.

Could mean something, could mean nothing.
When do these stuff usually happen in comparison to the reveal? I know this happened to terry

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
One thing that I like about the Doujin and Drunken-Cat/Kos-Mos rumour is that it provides a change of pace compared to what everyone thought, Kos-Mos closing off the pass as opposed to Hayabusa who by that stage everyone was expecting. It still allows for the possibility for Ryu Hayabusa in the future and maybe even the inclusion of Reimu and jammin 2hu remixes, so that would be a pretty good timeline if you ask me. Now hopefully beyond or in said future timeline we get more Nintendo newcomers along the lines of Rex & Pyra getting a second chance, Akira Howard, Byleth or Edelgard and dare I say it, Spirit and Assist Trophy promotions...

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
One thing that I like about the Doujin and Drunken-Cat/Kos-Mos rumour is that it provides a change of pace compared to what everyone thought, Kos-Mos closing off the pass as opposed to Hayabusa who by that stage everyone was expecting. It still allows for the possibility for Ryu Hayabusa in the future and maybe even the inclusion of Reimu and jammin 2hu remixes, so that would be a pretty good timeline if you ask me. Now hopefully beyond or in said future timeline we get more Nintendo newcomers along the lines of Rex & Pyra getting a second chance, Akira Howard, Byleth or Edelgard and dare I say it, Spirit and Assist Trophy promotions...
I think most people would dislike that timeline.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
How so? Smash salt is inevitable in any timeline. I'm just hoping that in addition to great third-party characters, we get Nintendo characters from new and successful Switch games like Astral Chain and Three Houses.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
What's funny about the cat rumour is how nobody paid attention to it until everyone got a hold of it. Like, when people discovered the 4chan leak with Piranha Plant, everyone started to make fake leaks with the same picture, but the drunken cat one didn't even get any until the KOS-MOS leak gained notoriety despite deriving from a legitimate leak.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
I thought those people are already in their most anti-hype timeline thanks to Sword Goku and Hat Ken so who cares?
No? Hero is literally the biggest **** in japan out of this whole game. They absolutely lost their **** over him. His video reveal views smashed every ultimate reveal by like triple the first day in japan. Terry is an icon in the fighting game community and is extremely important to sakurai perhaps the most influential character and series to him.

Kosmos and reimu would be the most niche characters of all. If either of those got revealed at the TGAs they would be “literally who?” To the whole audience. It would be a poor reaction for sure.

I also see no reason for kosmos when there is an entire list of historical Namco Bandai that most people would be happy with before kosmos, including two that sakurai already teased as mii fighters previously with decent sized fanbases. Kosmos also isn’t significant to sakurai.

How so? Smash salt is inevitable in any timeline. I'm just hoping that in addition to great third-party characters, we get Nintendo characters from new and successful Switch games like Astral Chain and Three Houses.

Sorry but first parties reps are unlikely, and you are also a minority here.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Kosmos and reimu would be the most niche characters of all. If either of those got revealed at the TGAs they would be “literally who?” To the whole audience. It would be a poor reaction for sure.
It's hard to argue that point when Bayonetta's on the Roster. Hell, KOS-MOS' series was more successful than Bayo's ever was and Bayonetta would have been a scrapped franchise if Nintendo didn't step up to the plate and give it a 2nd chance.

I also see no reason for kosmos when there is an entire list of historical Namco Bandai that most people would be happy with before kosmos, including two that sakurai already teased as mii fighters previously with decent sized fanbases. Kosmos also isn’t significant to sakurai.
You can't really argue that KOS-MOS means nothing to Sakurai when you don't even know. He's a huge Xenoblade fan and considering the walking encyclopedia that he is, I'm certain He's enjoyed Xenosaga as well.

PsychoJosh

I really wish they'd stop giving us a reason to watch the VGAs. Apart from the game reveals, they're an absolute train wreck year after year, which is funny to some (including me), but I don't think they should get rewarded with higher ratings for it.

Selenite

Smash Cadet
On that Super Smash Bros Channel update:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

The last one was on October 27th. The Terry video became public on November 6th. So a week and a half later. That would mean that this video would air around November 21st, if it took just as long to air after upload. That is if they follow the same schedule.

November 21st is Nintendo Day. Both Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U launched on 11/21 in Japan. Other games to launch on this day in Japan include titles such as Super Mario World, Super Mario 3D World, F-Zero, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Yoshi's Cookie, Pokémon Gold and Silver, Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, Pokémon Colosseum, Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Sin & Punishment, Animal Crossing amiibo Festival, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, and possibly more. The Super Famicom also launched on this day. In North America, a few of these games launched either on that day or on the day later as international releases, including Super Smash Bros For Wii U. The release of Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Mario 64 DS, Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, and the Nintendo DS itself all launched on this day.

I believe Polygon covered on this day.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/21/16685300/nintendo-biggest-best-release-date-games

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Please no.
Lol, Reimu a "literal who" in Japan?
Sorry but first parties reps are unlikely, and you are also a minority here.
Notice you're not getting any likes on these posts.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Due to being a fan of T-elos I have to support KOS-MOS, so if the betch gets in then I am one step closer to using the most outstanding side-special in the game.

While KOS-MOS/T-elos haters will go

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I really wish they'd stop giving us a reason to watch the VGAs. Apart from the game reveals, they're an absolute train wreck year after year, which is funny to some (including me), but I don't think they should get rewarded with higher ratings for it.
I can't stomach watching the VGAs. It's such a boring ****fest. I tend to Watch Maximilian Dood's stream because at least him and his group are entertaining to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom