• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If we do get a Tekken rep for fighter 5 I want Jin Kazama instead of Heihachi. Jin would have the Devil gene to play around with and he is the main protagonist of the series starting from 3 which is the most popular and iconic game of the series. Plus Jin is more of Ryu's rival than Heihachi so it'd make sense on that end.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I don't think it's about being prim or proper but about protecting the image of your series. Like I love the ability to play as villager and isabelle but I honestly don't think either character should be in Smash due to the nature of the series.

Basically I can understand the stance, especially with more mature or "violent" characters being added to Smash.
...The joke kinda flew over your head.

But that aside, I can certainly understand the stance, but I certainly don't agree with it. Smash, despite now having M-rated characters, is still a very lighthearted game. Fights are more like competitions than anything else and everything is really a big videogame dream match that shouldn't be taken too seriously.

You lose way more in trying to maintain an "innocent" image by not having your characters immortalized in the biggest video game crossover of all time, really.

Repost from the Ultimate Social Thread.

Could mean something, could mean nothing.
Could also be another version of Terry's trailer - I remember some translated versions uploading a day or two after the Direct dropped.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Frankly, at this point the Mii Hat leak is pretty much a situation where I would argue its just too ****ing shaky to take seriously. From the blatant bait elements taken from previous leaks, alongside being targeted specifically around two popular speculated characters in 4chan, modders demonstrating its not impossible to mod mii hats, being costumes that if being tested are probably done by a small team that could be easily found and Nintendo not reacting to the leak at all, its a situation that for me it makes it fake until proven true.

Know that the characters involved are popular, but I doubt that the leak being fake would affect their chances if they are chosen to be fighters.

Last edited by a moderator:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Could also be another version of Terry's trailer - I remember some translated versions uploading a day or two after the Direct dropped.
That would be extremely unprecedented. No trailer has been uploaded that late after its initial airing. Based on what SocialBlade lists, the channel already uploaded all the language variants of the updated Terry trailer on November 6th.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I may dream of 2B, Phoenix Wright, Layton, or Travis Touchdown, but my gut is saying two things, and last time I trusted my gut I got Joker and Terry.

Bandai-Namco could be getting their fighter and that could be any number of fantastic choices, but there's been a little voice in my head saying that Ezio is a major sleeper pick. If not Ezio, an assassin that could be a few characters in one like Hero. It'd be a pretty major "get" with a ton of cool stage and music and moveset potential.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Accidentally dropped this in Rate Their Chances, but looks like Arle is dead

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1075/723/index.html

Translation is poor, but it's basically saying the creator of Puyo Puyo doesn't want her in fighting games
Hey this is somewhat misinformation. It's been said elsewhere, but not here, but Hosoyamada is perfectly fine with this (he was the one who wanted it in the first place; ergo, he would be happy to allow Sakurai the use of Puyo content in Smash). He also isn't the creator of Puyo Puyo, like, at all. He's just the director of the games.

And, not only is it old, the people at SEGA who rejected this may not even still be there, or may have changed their minds. There's also the fact that Smash is not only a big money resource, but also, it's a lot less of a violent brutal sport as much as a whimsical slapfight. We also have no idea how long ago that cancellation was; could be anywhere between that year and back in 2016, or 15, or even 14. Hell, this could've been back in 2006, that's how long Hosoyamada has been in charge. (If Ayumi knows how long ago it was, I'd be more confident in this, or it may actually remain valid.)

Lastly, in Puyo Puyo Chronicle, the final boss of that game directly attacks the character Ally physically in the cutscene after they are defeated. While it isn't animated violence due to the nature of those cutscenes, it's much more violent than anything in the series before then (even in the Compile era). So they let that pass despite there being a supposed "ban on violence" in Puyo, which is kinda strange.

So thanks for the apology GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 , but I doubt it's necessary. I'm pretty sure Arle is still in the game.

But anybody who says that she's not FP5 is probably right anyway, I always expected her to be post-pass once that hit. She would make sense (breaking a fan rule, being a disappointment relative to the earlier characters for most people) but honestly I just don't see it.

D

Deleted member

Repost from the Ultimate Social Thread.

Could mean something, could mean nothing.
Guess VGA is looking more likely somehow. For the record, Terry's trailer was already uploaded five days ago so this is brand stinking new.

Screenshot_20191111-170236_YouTube.jpg

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I think a week or two weeks max?
I found PushDustin's tweet where he reported that. It was October 27th. So about ten days before we did get the Terry presentation.

If this holds true again, it'd mean that we're getting a reveal next week, or the week thereafter at earliest.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I found PushDustin's tweet where he reported that. It was October 27th. So about ten days before we did get the Terry presentation.

So just before Thanksgiving (USA; November 22) at the latest...

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Guess VGA is looking more likely somehow. For the record, Terry's trailer was already uploaded five days ago so this is brand stinking new.

*image snip*
Honestly, I think a November direct is more likely. Reveal FP5 in the direct, save the 1st post-FP character for TGA.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If this holds true again, it'd mean that we're getting a reveal next week, or the week thereafter at earliest.
This is going to be quite interesting. We better prepare in case some random leak shows up.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I think a November direct is more likely. Reveal FP5 in the direct, save the 1st post-FP character for TGA.
A November general direct would be unprecedented. We already got three general directs for the year, which has been Nintendo's model since 2016. So unless it's a Pokemon direct that reveals the next fighter as a starter (somewhat possible) or a Smash direct (doubt), I think it's VGA time.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I don't think it's about being prim or proper but about protecting the image of your series. Like I love the ability to play as villager and isabelle but I honestly don't think either character should be in Smash due to the nature of the series.

Basically I can understand the stance, especially with more mature or "violent" characters being added to Smash.
I personally love the juxtaposition of cute and mature characters together in smash, but some people and more importantly some companies might not. Anyway here's a relevant comic about harming cute characters in Smash bros.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Just to be 100% sure on this, though - is it just this one person reporting on this upload, or are there any others that can verify this as well?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A November general direct would be unprecedented. We already got three general directs for the year, which has been Nintendo's model since 2016. So unless it's a Pokemon direct that reveals the next fighter as a starter (somewhat possible) or a Smash direct (doubt), I think it's VGA time.
Does Youtube really have the ability to make that pop up a literal month in advance?

D

Deleted member

In that case, don't set your hopes too high on a major character getting revealed (Master Chief, Doom Slayer). It's just a Direct; the Game Awards are more major imo.

D

Deleted member

Does Youtube really have the ability to make that pop up a literal month in advance?
From what it sounds like, YouTube makes those popups when a video is uploaded. It's not about whether it's private or not.

D

Deleted member

In that case, don't set your hopes too high on a major character getting revealed (Master Chief, Doom Slayer). It's just a Direct; the Game Awards are more major imo.
God knows who they chose for FP 5 though. Let's remember Cloud and FINAL FANTASY was revealed in a mid-November 2015 direct (back when they didn't use the 3-direct per year structure) instead of the VGA.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

God knows who they chose for FP 5 though. Let's remember Cloud and FINAL FANTASY was revealed in a mid-November 2015 direct (back when they didn't use the 3-direct per year structure) instead of the VGA.
Hmmm....you do have a point. It go any way it wants. It's freaking Sakurai.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Just to be 100% sure on this, though - is it just this one person reporting on this upload, or are there any others that can verify this as well?
I've got it, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything is too soon. I remember this happening over a month before E3.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
WHAT IF.....

FP5 is revealed soon.

And DLC Wave 2 (fighter #1 and the amount of fighters) is announced at the VGAs...

D

Deleted member

Nonetheless I'm hoping for KOS-MOS if there is a direct as it makes sense she won't be shown at TGA. :p
For me, the logic here is that you release the more niche character at the lesser-scoped Direct and the more major inclusion at the bigger scoped Game Awards. Cloud was an exception to this tho.

In that case...

Please be female character, please be female character...

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Hey this is somewhat misinformation. It's been said elsewhere, but not here, but Hosoyamada is perfectly fine with this (he was the one who wanted it in the first place; ergo, he would be happy to allow Sakurai the use of Puyo content in Smash). He also isn't the creator of Puyo Puyo, like, at all. He's just the director of the games.

And, not only is it old, the people at SEGA who rejected this may not even still be there, or may have changed their minds. There's also the fact that Smash is not only a big money resource, but also, it's a lot less of a violent brutal sport as much as a whimsical slapfight. We also have no idea how long ago that cancellation was; could be anywhere between that year and back in 2016, or 15, or even 14. Hell, this could've been back in 2006, that's how long Hosoyamada has been in charge. (If Ayumi knows how long ago it was, I'd be more confident in this, or it may actually remain valid.)

Lastly, in Puyo Puyo Chronicle, the final boss of that game directly attacks the character Ally physically in the cutscene after they are defeated. While it isn't animated violence due to the nature of those cutscenes, it's much more violent than anything in the series before then (even in the Compile era). So they let that pass despite there being a supposed "ban on violence" in Puyo, which is kinda strange.

So thanks for the apology GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 , but I doubt it's necessary. I'm pretty sure Arle is still in the game.

But anybody who says that she's not FP5 is probably right anyway, I always expected her to be post-pass once that hit. She would make sense (breaking a fan rule, being a disappointment relative to the earlier characters for most people) but honestly I just don't see it.
Thank you for clearing things up. Honestly, regardless of violence issues, I'd feel Sega's desire to use Smash as a vehicle for Puyo Puyo promotion would override any desire to keep things "clean" within the series, if you ask me. It'd be nonsensical (and a bit heartbreaking) if they consider minimal violence a higher priority over using probably one of the easiest methods of getting series widely-known to their advantage. It makes even less sense when you look at some of the franchises Puyo has collaborated with through Puyo Puyo Quest; a collaboration with Neon Genesis Evangelion, a series widely known for its religious themes, gruesome imagery, and a notorious finale (End of Evangelion has one scene that I'd get infracted for talking about here, and literally has all but two of the cast essentially die in a cataclysmic event) is totally fine, but a collaboration with an unrealistic slapstick fighting game would be too far? I don't buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom