• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Only prediction I'll make about FP5 is that I and 99% of this fanbase will be wrong.
Me: The 1% saying it's Kunio.

Everyone here has recently been telling me how big if a deal Touhou is.
No they haven't. It's just the same 4 people over and over again. Half of them with Touhou avatars.

The fact that I hadn't heard if it until, not only Smash speculation, not just Smash Ultimate speculation, but this particular Smash Ultimate DLC speculation tells me that it's not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.
Prior to this thread, I'd only ever heard of Touhou from appearances on Salty Bet.

It's basically like Dragon Quests, it's like "AHAHA, what is a DQ???" (or what's an SNK alternatively) when DQ basically made 3/4 of the game mechanisms in JRPG we play today kind of deal.
That's BS, because casual gamers outside of Japan have at least HEARD of DQ, even if they don't play the games. And Dragon Warrior was actually a popular series on the NES.

Look at the view counts for these English titled videos and tell me that's obscure.
This is just music]
Yes, because the music is more popular than the games. And is regularly memed in ways the games themselves aren't.

But now we have some in this thread crapping on Reimu and calling her "just another anime girl in a skirt."
...nobody has said that. They're saying they've never heard of her.

Why would anyone go "another anime girl in a skirt" when Smash doesn't HAVE any anime girls in skirts yet?

Okay on another note, which unrepresented series/game in Smash do you want music from?
Chrono Trigger.

Last edited:

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Not what I was talking about earlier, but I really don't think we'll be getting Reimu as a playable fighter. Sans, a character that was really popular in Japan, along with the West, AND was really commonly requested still only got a mii costume. All Reimu has going for her as an indie character is Touhou being big in Japan.

D

Deleted member

Not what I was talking about earlier, but I really don't think we'll be getting Reimu as a playable fighter. Sans, a character that was really popular in Japan, along with the West, AND was really commonly requested still only got a mii costume. All Reimu has going for her as an indie character is Touhou being big in Japan.
If Mii Costumes and Spirits are the only thing Western indies have and Japanese indies get a whole character slot....

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
I am almost certain that the first playable Indie character in Smash will be Shovel Knight.
I think Sans is more likely because of how amazing the reception was to his mii costume. I'm willing to bet he sold more than any other mii costume by a wide margine.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't really like to think that we have any "frontrunners" for playable indie characters in Smash. I think, in Sakurai's eye, that no indie character is more "due" than any other. He'll pick whoever he wants, if he picks an indie character at all. Which, on a long enough timeline, I think he will.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
I don't really like to think that we have any "frontrunners" for playable indie characters in Smash. I think, in Sakurai's eye, that no indie character is more "due" than any other. He'll pick whoever he wants, if he picks an indie character at all. Which, on a long enough timeline, I think he will.
I agree to an extent but I don't think it's a coincidence that the 3 indies present in Ultimate were by far the most discussed and requested.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I agree to an extent but I don't think it's a coincidence that the 3 indies present in Ultimate were by far the most discussed and requested.
On that same token, one can say that it's no coincidence that they are all western owned characters, something that took 20 years to be playable in Smash.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Yes, because the music is more popular than the games. And is regularly memed in ways the games themselves aren't.
Which is fine. A good portion of Touhou's fanbase enjoys it for the secondary content.
There are many people into the music, the characters, and the world, even if they don't particularly care for shmups.

Doesn't mean they wouldn't have their interest piqued by Touhou content in Smash.

...nobody has said that. They're saying they've never heard of her.

Why would anyone go "another anime girl in a skirt" when Smash doesn't HAVE any anime girls in skirts yet?
To be fair, one person specifically did...

I would be very surprised to see Reimu in Smash. She's just another skirtwearing anime lady.

Same **** with Haruka Amami and that Famicom Detective Club kid
You even liked the post

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Even if FP5 isn't a much anticipated character that leaves many of the western audience wanting I believe the dust would settle quickly as they eagerly await the next fighter/s. Especially with some people thinking just about anything (game related) is possible with this new batch.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Even if FP5 isn't a much anticipated character that leaves many of the western audience wanting I believe the dust would settle quickly as they eagerly await the next fighter/s. Especially with some people thinking just about anything (game related) is possible with this new batch.
There's a reason I've been expecting the final character to be somewhat obscure, and it's the announcement of new fighters before revealing the 5th and Sakurai's statement about recognizabily is less important than fun. I never thought it would make sense to announce more fighters if the last character was some mega hype addition, but if it was something that disappointed people then the prospect of knowing more is on the way would alleviate knee jerk negative reactions.

Though, that's just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
My god this confuses me more than Kingdom Hearts lore.

I'm donw talkin' bout it.
Dark souls lore is not nearly as difficult to grasp as KH infact the lore to dark souls is up to you to investigate the game doesn't really tell you anything you have to explore and learn stuff

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I've been feeling the creative itch so I've started drawing up my moveset concept for F-Type from Stunt Race FX. Not much to it yet, I just drew his profile picture and added some basic stats. I'm going to be drawing diagrams of how his special moves work.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
In my opinion, I think that worst case scenario, we get 5 more fighters after the first pass. But best case scenario, they keep doling out DLC until the Switch dies, which could be 20+.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
After stubbornly resisting it for ages (See all of SF4's editions and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom) Japan's really embraced DLC with gusto.

I won't be surprised if they go for the full 16 DLC characters

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
We are probably going to get another 5. 4 if it happens to not be an additional Fighter pass

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I see another 5 or 6 possible, but I don't think it'll be another Fighter's Pass. They'll probably keep going until the end of 2021, but that's just my opinion.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I disagree. I think it's clear they're looking at what other fighting games are doing with season passes and adopting the same model.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I disagree. I think it's clear they're looking at what other fighting games are doing with season passes and adopting the same model.
They would've announced another pass if one was coming IMO. To use an analogy, I really do think post-pass is gonna be like extra cherries on top rather than another full on cake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In my opinion, I think that worst case scenario, we get 5 more fighters after the first pass. But best case scenario, they keep doling out DLC until the Switch dies, which could be 20+.
I for one support this idea. The game's lifespan is looking really really good.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just had a sobering thought.

Character number 5 will be the one who's free with the purchase of the pass.

It could be Mr. Tickle from Mr. Men at this point and it wouldn't' change anything.

D

Deleted member

I just had a sobering thought.

Character number 5 will be the one who's free with the purchase of the pass.

It could be Mr. Tickle from Mr. Men at this point and it wouldn't' change anything.
I don't bet on Nintendo doing that, but I could see them give a free character to start the second pass. Honestly it'll be Geno just to shut them all up.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
No one ever talks about him, but the indie character I’d want is CommanderVideo. I believe he was the first indie representation in Smash Bros, as he got a trophy in Smash 4, and his games practically defined Wiiware. It would be cool to get another flat character based around sprite art as well.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
That's BS, because casual gamers outside of Japan have at least HEARD of DQ, even if they don't play the games. And Dragon Warrior was actually a popular series on the NES.
I've been playing video games for 20 years and I'd literally never heard of Dragon Quest before the E3 reveal. It's extremely niche in the west.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing video games for 20 years and I'd literally never heard of Dragon Quest before the E3 reveal. It's extremely niche in the west.
That’s only based on your personal experience, though. While you believe that Dragon Quest is niche in the West because you personally haven’t heard about it, there’s surely data to suggest that the games do sell here and have influence. A major difference is that the Dragon Quest games are localized and easily playable in the West, while Touhou games are mostly exclusive to Japan.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Uhhh

Like, how? It's been featured in Nintendo Directs multiple times, not just DQ11S but before that the port of 8 for the 3DS was given the red carpet treatment. I can understand not knowing the NES era Dragon Warrior games and I can understand not knowing the Japanese exclusive DS games but it's baffling that people who follow any level of Nintendo news wouldn't have at least heard about it in passing.

Maybe it's just because I obsessively read gaming magazines growing up but it always feels like people have gaps in their knowledge to the point that they haven't even heard of big games tangentially. It really isn't that niche.

MooMew64

All I'm saying is that they never said another pass was in development. All they said was "more fighters". That really could mean anything and any amount; even only 3 more would be "extra". I simply would just caution overhyping, I really doubt we're gonna see 16+ characters for this game's DLC like everyone is thinking.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Even if you haven't really heard much about DQ, I find it hard to believe that someone could go 20 years without seeing this guy at least once in their life.

I didn't start playing the DQ games until a few years ago, but even then I always saw slime pop up in references and general gaming videos.

MooMew64

If you follow Nintendo like, at all, I feel you would have to physically try to avoid seeing anything DQ related at least once. They've been in Directs a bunch for like the past 5 years now. Somehow still knowing nothing at all about it would be kind of impressive if one claims to actually watch those Directs, lol.

D

Deleted member

No one ever talks about him, but the indie character I’d want is CommanderVideo. I believe he was the first indie representation in Smash Bros, as he got a trophy in Smash 4, and his games practically defined Wiiware. It would be cool to get another flat character based around sprite art as well.
Nah, he's good for Runbow

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom