• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Reimu may not be FP5 but hopefully she's post, depending on how many we get. It'd be a bit surreal if she got announced at the VGAs(Though the accidental Suika cameo from ESPN is weirder) even if I can see it be news worthy in its own way. It'd likely be someone that more casual fans will know about but the magic of Smash is that you have characters Casual people and hardcore or more versed(Not sure if the correct wording is there) gamers know.

So for all we know FP5 could be Doom Guy for an example with Reimu following right behind him.

It also helps that other than Quote or The Knight from Hollow Knight, I can't think of many viable Indie characters to be playable who aren't an AT/Spirit upgrade so Reimu doesn't have much competition.

D

Deleted member

If Reimu did get in, I would prefer it if her design incorporated ZUN's art style. That'd make her both memorable and pretty distinct from the more "anime" characters. Plus seeing ZUN's art in 3d and fully animated would be nightmarish fun to see
The art style in ZUN is quite interesting tbh. Kinda reminds me of classic moe anime. And this is coming from someone who watches too much K-On and Love Live.

Reimu may not be FP5 but hopefully she's post, depending on how many we get. It'd be a bit surreal if she got announced at the VGAs(Though the accidental Suika cameo from ESPN is weirder) even if I can see it be news worthy in its own way. It'd likely be someone that more casual fans will know about but the magic of Smash is that you have characters Casual people and hardcore or more versed(Not sure if the correct wording is there) gamers know.

So for all we know FP5 could be Doom Guy for an example with Reimu following right behind him.

It also helps that other than Quote or The Knight from Hollow Knight, I can't think of many viable Indie characters to be playable who aren't an AT/Spirit upgrade so Reimu doesn't have much competition.
Uh...Verge deconfirmed Doomguy for FP5 so...

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
Didn't Sakurai play Halo 3?
Idk but I wouldn’t doubt it, sakurai actively looks for games of all type all around the world because he’s a video game lover more than most people can comprehend. That’s doesn’t exactly help his chances.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
The art style in ZUN is quite interesting tbh. Kinda reminds me of classic moe anime. And this is coming from someone who watches too much K-On and Love Live.

Uh...Verge deconfirmed Doomguy for FP5 so...
I'm aware. I just used him as an example of a Western and Eastern character side by side on reveals for a hypothetical.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I know next to nothing about Touhou outside of A. Bullet-Hell, B. Cute Girls, C. Absolutely incredible fan products and D. Some of the best dang game music literally ever. I certainly wouldn't mind it in Smash, and have been meaning to play the series proper for years now.

However, this alone gives the series all the merit it needs to be worthy of Smash.

I saw this video well over a decade ago before I even knew what Touhou (Or even most internet things) was and it's still the most magical thing I've ever stumbled upon in my entire internet career. It is literally engrained into my psyche.

Native Faith best Touhou song. Says the man with no Touhou experience.

Kero Kero.
I severely doubt we're getting any Touhou content. While people often will speculate that Japan gets preferential treatment, remember that Sakurai said that he considered Takamaru for Smash 4 but decided against it due to it being extremely obscure outside of Japan.
As dedicated Smash speculators, WE know what Touhou is, but if Reimu is Fighter 5 (most likely revealed at TGA, a WESTERN venue), the general public will be like, "Who?"

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
If Reimu did get in, I would prefer it if her design incorporated ZUN's art style. That'd make her both memorable and pretty distinct from the more "anime" characters. Plus seeing ZUN's art in 3d and fully animated would be nightmarish fun to see
That raises a question. How would Sakurai and the developers handle Reimu's design? Obviously, her design can significantly vary depending on the artist. Would they use her latest design from Touhou 17.5 or have a different artist redraw her for Smash? (Part of me wants to see a prominent artist take a shot at designing Reimu).

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I severely doubt we're getting any Touhou content. While people often will speculate that Japan gets preferential treatment, remember that Sakurai said that he considered Takamaru for Smash 4 but decided against it due to it being extremely obscure outside of Japan.
As dedicated Smash speculators, WE know what Touhou is, but if Reimu is Fighter 5 (most likely revealed at TGA, a WESTERN venue), the general public will be like, "Who?"
I do feel like general attitudes may change and Reimu is much bigger than Takamaru. And if we go by this logic then we wouldn't have gotten Marth, Roy, and Lucas even if they became much more popular post Smash-Debut in the West. I'm sure Joker got some "Who" responses last year despite Persona 5 being huge.

And let's face it: The "Who" argument is gonna be a thing for just about anyone who'll get revealed unless they're from some certain franchises like Resident Evil or Mortal Kombat(for the west at least).

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure Reimu is much better-known than Takamaru outside Japan, even though it's still a cult following.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I do feel like general attitudes may change and Reimu is much bigger than Takamaru. And if we go by this logic then we wouldn't have gotten Marth, Roy, and Lucas even if they became much more popular post Smash-Debut in the West. I'm sure Joker got some "Who" responses last year despite Persona 5 being huge.

And let's face it: The "Who" argument is gonna be a thing for just about anyone who'll get revealed unless they're from some certain franchises like Resident Evil or Mortal Kombat(for the west at least).
And call me crazy, but I think that well known characters are far more likely picks, especially for DLC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm aware. I just used him as an example of a Western and Eastern character side by side on reveals for a hypothetical.
I see then. Moving on....

Tbh I don't see the VGA's being a platform for character reveals unlike last time. I think we'l probably just get a direct or something, but yeah.

That raises a question. How would Sakurai and the developers handle Reimu's design? Obviously, her design can significantly vary depending on the artist. Would they use her latest design from Touhou 17.5 or have a different artist redraw her for Smash? (Part of me wants to see a prominent artist take a shot at designing Reimu).
To be fair...they did use Terry's old design in KoF XIV but went with the more traditional bare arms in Smash. So most probably the one that's more iconic to her.

Of course we'll go for another one of these times. Smash fans definitely need to raise their bar on games they want to know.

And call me crazy, but I think that well known characters are far more likely picks, especially for DLC.
I know, but it tends that Sakurai would find other unique characters interesting.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Sure there are more popular characters than Reimu, but I don't think Nintendo minds pulling such a reveal, assuming there is a reveal this year at TGA. You're talking about a company who was ballsy enough to have their sole headlining announcement one year be a playable Cranky Kong in DKCTF. Of all the things they could have done that year (people were expecting BOTW stuff back when they announced a reveal of something), they chose that.

D

Deleted member

Sure there are more popular characters than Reimu, but I don't think Nintendo minds pulling such a reveal, assuming there is a reveal this year at TGA. You're talking about a company who was ballsy enough to have their sole headlining announcement one year be a playable Cranky Kong in DKCTF. Of all the things they could have done that year (people were expecting BOTW stuff back when they announced a reveal of something), they chose that.
And perhaps there will be confusion as to why everyone in the show's Twitch chat is riled with Smash fans.

I think characters with some following as long Sakurai thinks they are unique are pretty likely pick as well.
Unique fighting style and being fun to play as are definitely good criteria for Smash characters.

I’m thinking it’s dark souls time, ladies and gentlemen
Not now, not now.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Some people are unironically believing that Dark Souls is the 5th character just because of that 4chan prediction list.

I've always been 100% sure with Bamco being the 5th character, which includes Dark Souls. I just find it funny that a ton of people switched their prediction to Dark Souls as soon as that 4chan "list" became popular here.

EDIT: The list is just a prediction, it is not a leak. If they knew who the 5th DLC character was back in March, they would have definitely stated that DLC 2 was Hero and not Erdrick.

My predictions from most likely to least likely are:
- Tales of (Yuri/Lloyd)
- KOS-MOS
- Heihachi
- Chosen Undead
- Agumon
- Nightmare
- Klonoa

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Some people are unironically believing that Dark Souls is the 5th character just because of that 4chan prediction list.

I've always been 100% sure with Bamco being the 5th character, which includes Dark Souls. I just find it funny that a ton of people switched their prediction to Dark Souls as soon as that 4chan "list" became popular here.
I also saw a GameFaqs prediction that has KOS-MOS in it. Coukd be wrong tho.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Master Chief would definitely be an worthy reveal to end the Pass and for such an event like the VGA. I'd also be down for him especially now I got:ultbanjokazooie:
i feel like at this point we could eventually get Master Chief AND Steve in smash, and that’s really exciting
Master chief is a literal who there so I don’t know what you’re talking about. Not only is the fps genre not as popular there, they don’t really game on pc and there were legit hardly any Xbox there. Generally people don’t know him.
I seriously hope your joking

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
i feel like at this point we could eventually get Master Chief AND Steve in smash, and that’s really exciting

Master Chief is a must in the future. That'd be Sonic level hype....
Well, nothing will top that, but close.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Sakurai said the same thing about Ayumi Tachibana, but he also added japan only Lucas to the game and Marth so ?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Sakurai said the same thing about Ayumi Tachibana, but he also added japan only Lucas to the game and Marth so ?
That was over a decade ago. Plus, the Mother series already had a character.

Plank08

Smash Lord
That was over a decade ago. Plus, the Mother series already had a character.
Yeah but marth
And perhaps there will be confusion as to why everyone in the show's Twitch chat is riled with Smash fans.

Unique fighting style and being fun to play as are definitely good criteria for Smash characters.

Not now, not now.
I’m gonna be real gender in Dark Souls REALLY doesn’t matter like at ALLLLLLL, You in a suit of armor most of the time as a skeleton, and Sakurai would never choose a franchise as awesome as dark souls because the main character is male(and I don’t even know if it’s male or not so yeah there’s that too)

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Not now, not now.
I know Chosen Undead doesn't look like a female. But believe it or not, the Chosen Undead's marketed look is the Elite Knight Armor, and it looks exactly the same on the female as it does on the male.

Chosen Undead look
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net..._undead.png/revision/latest?cb=20180122030242
https://giantbomb1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/scale_small/21/214346/2834286-3433705122-latest

Elite Knight armor on Female

So the thing is that you can actually imagine the Chosen Undead being female just as easily as you can of them being a male.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know Chosen Undead doesn't look like a female. But believe it or not, the Chosen Undead's marketed look is the Elite Knight Armor, and it looks exactly the same on the female as it does on the male.

Chosen Undead look
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net..._undead.png/revision/latest?cb=20180122030242
https://giantbomb1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/scale_small/21/214346/2834286-3433705122-latest

Elite Knight armor on Female

So the thing is that you can actually imagine the Chosen Undead being female just as easily as you can of them being a male.
My god this confuses me more than Kingdom Hearts lore.

I'm donw talkin' bout it.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Well...me too. I mean, violence and sexual stuff are different debates entirely, so...
Obviously they are different things on the surface. That’s not the point. However both violence and sexual content is all just viewed under a large umbrella as mature content.

So to clarify, I’d be surprised if Nintendo would allow a series to join smash with that level of mature content.

In that respect, Nintendo has always been like Disney on that front. However I could see the merit to including Doom content as it would open smash to a completely different audience, but it seems to out of character for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Obviously they are different things on the surface. That’s not the point. However both violence and sexual content is all just viewed under a large umbrella as mature content.

So to clarify, I’d be surprised if Nintendo would allow a series to join smash with that level of mature content.

In that respect, Nintendo has always been like Disney on that front. However I could see the merit to including Doom content as it would open smash to a completely different audience, but it seems to out of character for Nintendo.
Pffft. Don't worry about that. My sources tell me that BMX XXX is getting a rep for DLC 5

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
They would essentially do what they did with Richter and have a Smash Original design that is an amalgamation of different artists' takes on the character.

Differences here.
1) Takamaru, Marth, Roy, and Lucas are Nintendo/Nintendo 2nd Party owned characters.
2) Marth, Roy, and Lucas were in base game.
3) Marth & Roy almost were Japan Only characters but were popular during Western Play Testing.
4) Joker is known to most gamers, even if only by his game's reputation for some. The people that didn't know him were the minority, Reimu would be the opposite case, I believe.

Ivander

Smash Legend
My god this confuses me more than Kingdom Hearts lore.

I'm donw talkin' bout it.
Simply put, some armors may show the bust size increase a slight bit depending on how "big" the players made their female characters, but otherwise, all armors can be used by males and females and look exactly the same. The Males can even wear dresses, as shown near the beginning of this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9jhqxPK64Q

Edit: Just realised you likely meant done and didn't misspell down, but done instead. :psycho::skull::smash:

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I can't believe you all are using logic to decide which character Sakurai is going to add. If Sakurai wants to add Reimu, he'll add Reimu. I doubt he cares if most people outside of Japan don't know who Reimu is.

Also Takamaru and Reimu are not at all similar, Takamaru isn't very well known even in Japan considering that he's from a single game that came out in 1986.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Hey I was wondering if this thread would be a good place to ask for an alternative perspective and debate on a controversial subject regarding potential newcomers?

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Hey I was wondering if this thread would be a good place to ask for an alternative perspective and debate on a controversial subject regarding potential newcomers?
As long as it's respectful and doesn't break site rules go for it

SKX31

Smash Master
Between this and the WoL datamining, I firmly believe we're in for another 10 or so characters.
Alongside the fact that the Switch hasn't (officially) been released in China. Now, both Nintendo and Tencent are being modest about the Switch's chances in China*, but I feel that it's a major wildcard factor. I don't think Sakurai had that in mind, but Furukawa might have had that when both agreed to extend. Furukawa also commented that they wanted to keep the Switch alive as long as possible.

We very well could be, which feels so crazy but the possibility being on the table is pretty exciting
Yea, it is. Sakurai must feel pretty confident in Ultimate if he was ready to announce the extension 2 months ago.

*(Probably the smartest thing to do, considering China has not much of a history with consoles. I'm being cautiously optimistic though, because the Switch is both a TV and handheld console, as well as Nintendo's exclusivity. Still, we don't know a lot of factors about the Chinese Switch - if it doesn't have a region lock, I'll be much more optimistic about its chances.)

NoBS

Smash Apprentice

Why do you think I’m joking? How many Japanese friends do you have? Do you speak Japanese?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom